The Spurs thread | 2016-2017 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in top 4 in the upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zii

Haha, this is so predictable. One loss in the league after 9 straight wins and Spurs are bottlers \ eternal losers and Poch is not a 'winner'.

I'm happy to see a few United posters speaking sense. And of course there are plenty of things to improve on, but most posts here are just wind ups.

Excited for next season, I think we're in a good position unless Wembley becomes a problem.

Well I mean it's not a bottle job but to give up all other competitions and then not win the one you are going for means the season has been a failure.

Faetheshire86

Must be the first time in history that a team have won 9/10 to come within 4 points with 4 games left, lost against a rival and top half team away from home... and it's considered "bottling it". Some of our fans are prattling on as if we were the team they were trying to catch! :wenger:

Spurs have had a good season (yes it's possible for teams who haven't won the league to have a good season!). They have a really strong team, no superstars yet, but one to eleven are really good Premier League players. For my money they have been the best team in the league the last two years. What they really need now is more consistency. Yip it's not as sexy as a trophy, but being able to compete 3-4 years in a row holds them in better stead than doing a Leicester and then finishing the next season in the bottom half.

The stadium issue couldn't come at a worse time, which is why I think top 3 again next season wouldn't be seen as standing still, it would actually show a lot of character. Especially with the predicted 'arms race' of the other clubs in the top 6. I expect them to look for more 'good Premier League players' in the transfer market as they can't really afford huge risks right now... Zaha, Antonio, King, Gibson, Keane - one or two of those and keeping the current group together would be good business.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Spurs have an exciting team and I quite like some of their fans on here but I can't help but feel like they have blown 2 very good chances at the league (this season to a lesser extent and last) maybe they'll get another chance next year but I don't know.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I think Spurs have an exciting team and I quite like some of their fans on here but I can't help but feel like they have blown 2 very good chances at the league (this season to a lesser extent and last) maybe they'll get another chance next year but I don't know.
How did they blow away chance this season? Chelsea are on course to register more than 90 points and that happened very very few times in PL. This season being in race is a big thing for Spurs, last season was different though.

cheeky_backheel

Must be the first time in history that a team have won 9/10 to come within 4 points with 4 games left, lost against a rival and top half team away from home... and it's considered "bottling it". Some of our fans are prattling on as if we were the team they were trying to catch! :wenger:

Spurs have had a good season (yes it's possible for teams who haven't won the league to have a good season!). They have a really strong team, no superstars yet, but one to eleven are really good Premier League players. For my money they have been the best team in the league the last two years. What they really need now is more consistency. Yip it's not as sexy as a trophy, but being able to compete 3-4 years in a row holds them in better stead than doing a Leicester and then finishing the next season in the bottom half.

The stadium issue couldn't come at a worse time, which is why I think top 3 again next season wouldn't be seen as standing still, it would actually show a lot of character. Especially with the predicted 'arms race' of the other clubs in the top 6. I expect them to look for more 'good Premier League players' in the transfer market as they can't really afford huge risks right now... Zaha, Antonio, King, Gibson, Keane - one or two of those and keeping the current group together would be good business.
Even if they were to be relegated this season, history will still remember Leceister as PL champions 2015/16. but no one will remember Spurs "being able to compete 3-4 years in a row".

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
What do you call 'losing' when you need to win in order to keep up the pressure at the business end of the season?

I believe United bottled a chance to go as high as up as 3rd when we drew against Swansea last weekend. The same way I also believe that Spurs bottled their chance to keep pressure on Chelsea by losing to a mediocre mid-table team whose manager is under pressure.

That's nothing to take away from their overall 'achievement' this season.

Womp

idiot

No-one gives a feck about runners up, it's really that simple. Whether you come 20th or 2nd, no difference apart from European qualification and the money of course. Leicester have a PL win to show for themselves, Spurs haven't got shite to show for being 'competitive'

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Well I mean it's not a bottle job but to give up all other competitions and then not win the one you are going for means the season has been a failure.
... What are you talking about?

We lost away to Liverpool in the league cup when they were in great form. We tried our best in CL, but injuries, form and I'd say bad luck meant we were knocked out. In the EL we received a red card and despite dominating couldn't score. And in the FA cup we got knocked out by Chelsea in a game that could have gone either way...

We ultimately weren't good enough, but we did not give up on any competition. And in my eyes coming second is not a failure. It's not first, but also not 5th or 6th.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not really a bottle job as they were always behind Chelsea, but they really should've done better in the FA Cup. That loss to Chelsea is gonna hurt for a while, I reckon.

Faetheshire86

Even if they were to be relegated this season, history will still remember Leceister as PL champions 2015/16. but no one will remember Spurs "being able to compete 3-4 years in a row".
No-one gives a feck about runners up, it's really that simple. Whether you come 20th or 2nd, no difference apart from European qualification and the money of course. Leicester have a PL win to show for themselves, Spurs haven't got shite to show for being 'competitive'
If the world ended at the end of the season, then I would rather have had the 1st and 12th over the 3rd and 2nd.

Champions League football, money, the ability to compete for trophies is what keeps the current squad together as well as giving them the ability to attract new, better players. Keeping that team (and adding to it) would then give them the ability to sign better players and compete for trophies for the foreseeable future (notice I'm not saying loose trophies, but to 'compete' for them, with the chance of winning). Imagine what 5-10 years of Spurs finishing above Arsenal would do to their stature. A poor season next year, playing at Wembley isn't beyond anyone's imagination. I would be desperate to not give anyone an excuse to jump ship and even if they do, be in a position to replace them.

I would rather support a club with a plan or at least the ambition to win trophies for the next 10-20 years, than a club that gets lucky once.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Yet there's a thread about Athletico and Valencia being perennial runners up and how much people valued them and how great they are/were.
Mendieta and the like.
Some of you don't half talk some bullshit.

Womp

idiot
Yet there's a thread about Athletico and Valencia being perennial runners up and how much people valued them and how great they are/were.
Mendieta and the like.
Some of you don't half talk some bullshit.
Respecting a team doesn't mean they're relevant. No player looks back on his career remembering the times he nearly won something. There's a reason Valencia and Atleti aren't spoken about in the same vain as Barca and Real.

If nearly achieving something was the makings of a proper team, Arsenal would be the best team in the land.

Billy Blaggs

Respecting a team doesn't mean they're relevant. No player looks back on his career remembering the times he nearly won something. There's a reason Valencia and Atleti aren't spoken about in the same vain as Barca and Real.

If nearly achieving something was the makings of a proper team, Arsenal would be the best team in the land.
Because they aren't Barca and Real. It doesn't mean they aren't relevant.

Womp

idiot
If the world ended at the end of the season, then I would rather have had the 1st and 12th over the 3rd and 2nd.

Champions League football, money, the ability to compete for trophies is what keeps the current squad together as well as giving them the ability to attract new, better players. Keeping that team (and adding to it) would then give them the ability to sign better players and compete for trophies for the foreseeable future (notice I'm not saying loose trophies, but to 'compete' for them, with the chance of winning). Imagine what 5-10 years of Spurs finishing above Arsenal would do to their stature. A poor season next year, playing at Wembley isn't beyond anyone's imagination. I would be desperate to not give anyone an excuse to jump ship and even if they do, be in a position to replace them.

I would rather support a club with a plan or at least the ambition to win trophies for the next 10-20 years, than a club that gets lucky once.
That's fair enough, but you compared them to Leicester and it's a completely different situation. Everybody knew Leicester didn't possess the resources to maintain those performances, Spurs do. If Spurs won the title, I don't see how they'd fall off a cliff next season, if anything they'd improve further with the exposure and money.

Womp

idiot
Because they aren't Barca and Real. It doesn't mean they aren't relevant.
Wonder why that is? Could have something to do with the fact that they haven't won anything. I like Atleti, in fact it's the only Spanish team I can stand, but it's not even comparable to Spurs. Atleti won a title only a few years ago, Spurs haven't won feck all but 2 league cups in 20 odd years. People will like teams that get close, respect them etc but until they win something, it really isn't any different to finishing anywhere else below second.

For decades to come, no-one is going to talk about the great Spurs side that nearly won a title. They'll talk about Chelsea who won, the same way everyone has moved on from Spurs nearly winning it last season too.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
We have had a bit of bad luck as it's the first year Chelsea have had no European football for years, also same with Leicester last year. Next season will be better for us as everyone will be in Europe again. As long as we play well in Wembley of course which is the big unknown
Yeah, but it doesn't really work like that. There are no guarantees Spurs will be able able to replicate, let alone improve on this season's showing.The last two league winners are a great example of how quickly and easily things can fall apart. You also will be in Europe and if you want to be taken seriously, you'll need to try and go deeper than the group stage.

I think Pochettino is facing a very difficult task. Money and trophies are two main priorities for players at this level and Tottenham can't compete with Chelsea and two Manchester clubs financially. Levi is a tough and shrewd operator and I'm fairly certain come next season your best players will still be there. But what happens, if you end up trophyless a year from now yet again? A professional footballer's career is quite short and can be cut even shorter by bad injuries or poor transfer choices. Loyalty is very rare and when you're being told by your agent on a daily basis how you can make much more money and win big things somewhere else, at a certain point your head will be turned.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
Second will always be a factor. You can't talk about Maradona without Platini other wise who do you say he was better than?
Barca wouldn't be Barca without Madrid or United or Bayern
They are all completely different scenarios to Spurs. Those teams all won things, still do. Atleti have won a league title recently, Valencia were immense in the past. Spurs offer none of that, by all intents and purposes, they're still a 'side dish' rather than the main course. They're respected in that regard and fair enough, I also enjoy watching Spurs play etc. but until they come first, win trophies, I don't see anyone seeing them in the same light as those teams, regardless of their financial situation or how close they came.

That's what I meant, no-one is going to remember them as a serious team unless they win things, it's that simple. Coming second ultimately means you didn't win, like 18 other teams in the league.

Last edited:

Billy Blaggs

Brazil 82 is still a factor. They didn't win anything of note. They were still a factor.
The second place team will always be a factor.
If you don't see that a team that is pushing a team enough to be champs that close is relevant then i don't think you've ever played sports. Both fans and the team that wins will remember the second place team. Chelsea fans and the Chelsea team will remember Tottenham this year.

Womp

idiot
Brazil 82 is still a factor. They didn't win anything of note. They were still a factor.
If you don't see that a team that is pushing a team enough to be champs that close is relevant then i don't think you've ever played sports. Both fans and the team that wins will remember the second place team. Chelsea fans and the Chelsea team will remember Tottenham this year.
They will remember them, as the team that didn't win. When I lose in Sunday League I don't go home to my missus and boast about how I nearly won. I make up bullshit about how the game was fixed to make myself look less pathetic.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but once again, those teams you're presenting are different scenarios of teams that win. Brazil is arguably the best international team of all time. Spurs probably aren't even the best team in England with a bird on their logo. Being remembered for being nearly men isn't the same as being remembered as a proper team.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for people to give a shite about a team being nearly men, they either need to be a fairy-tail story ala Leicester, have history ala the teams you mentioned or it has to involve some dramatic ending or something. Does Spurs really fall into any of those categories?

If they go decades without success, this period of Spurs' history is going to be remembered as an average team that came close to winning shite a few times, but didn't.

In a sense I understand where you're coming from, for eg. the time City pipped us to the title in the last minutes of the season. People talk about how close we were, because it was dramatic. Do people talk about SAF's last season when we won the PL by a landslide though? About who came second? I don't even remember who came second that season.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

Brazil 82 is a factor when discussing what could have been (e.g. greatest side never to win WC) and not when discussing the great teams of the WC. When people talk about the greatest brazil squad the list is quickly narrowed to those who won it all, with the choice usually being the 1970 team with 2002 in second.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah, but it doesn't really work like that. There are no guarantees Spurs will be able able to replicate, let alone improve on this season's showing.The last two league winners are a great example of how quickly and easily things can fall apart. You also will be in Europe and if you want to be taken seriously, you'll need to try and go deeper than the group stage.

I think Pochettino is facing a very difficult task. Money and trophies are two main priorities for players at this level and Tottenham can't compete with Chelsea and two Manchester clubs financially. Levi is a tough and shrewd operator and I'm fairly certain come next season your best players will still be there. But what happens, if you end up trophyless a year from now yet again? A professional footballer's career is quite short and can be cut even shorter by bad injuries or poor transfer choices. Loyalty is very rare and when you're being told by your agent on a daily basis how you can make much more money and win big things somewhere else, at a certain point your head will be turned.
Agree with all this. Their current model whilst very admirable can't be really sustainable in the future. Already we're seeing reports of Alderweireld stalling on new contract and Walker thinking to leave. I bet there'll be few more in the future who'd look at the money that average players of other clubs are getting and be tempted by it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think you can understate the factor of winning trophies and garnering a winning mentality for your players and young players. Rashford/Lingard/Martial etc., have experience of winning trophies and are in an environment which includes perennial winners like Ibra. Spurs don't have that at all.

Needham

But are we enjoying this repeated Spurs failure? Genuinely think this Pochettino period will end without a single pot. The other London clubs absolutely love it, obviously but going back decades Spurs are renowned for skillful good football and apart from their whiny brutish fans they are generally a force for good in football. I always remember this (4:25):

As for their fans, listen very carefully at 9:34

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
By the time they play us Chelsea could be champions already.

We will be coming from a European semi-final and might not even play our best side.Also last ever game at White Hart Lane. Still have flashbacks of that performance at Upton Park.

Tough game that will be.

As for Spurs, this has been a very good season for them. Yes, they haven't won titles per se but Spurs historically haven't won much. The fans seem content enough with that, they know the circumstances of their club and know better.

Last edited:

Billy Blaggs

They will remember them, as the team that didn't win. When I lose in Sunday League I don't go home to my missus and boast about how I nearly won. I make up bullshit about how the game was fixed to make myself look less pathetic.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but once again, those teams you're presenting are different scenarios of teams that win. Brazil is arguably the best international team of all time. Spurs probably aren't even the best team in England with a bird on their logo. Being remembered for being nearly men isn't the same as being remembered as a proper team.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for people to give a shite about a team being nearly men, they either need to be a fairy-tail story ala Leicester, have history ala the teams you mentioned or it has to involve some dramatic ending or something. Does Spurs really fall into any of those categories?

If they go decades without success, this period of Spurs' history is going to be remembered as an average team that came close to winning shite a few times, but didn't.

In a sense I understand where you're coming from, for eg. the time City pipped us to the title in the last minutes of the season. People talk about how close we were, because it was dramatic. Do people talk about SAF's last season when we won the PL by a landslide though? About who came second? I don't even remember who came second that season.
Brazil still didn't win. What does Sunday league have to do with it? And a bird on their logo? I seem to remember a pretty successful English team that had a bird on their logo.
Your talking shit friend.

Varun

Staff
Quite a few over the top posts here. Not sure why people are judging Spurs and their expectations as if they are perennial title challengers/winners. They have had 2 fantastic years and are on a high as far as their club is concerned. Yes, the expectations will increase now and "putting up a challenge" won't cut it for too long but as of now, it's incredibly weird to expect the fans or the players to be frustrated that they couldn't clinch the title. I'd give it atleast another year before impatience sets in, for now, they'll look back at this season as a good one for them.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
They'll look back at a disappointing season.

No question about it.
Probably more a missed opportunity. But nowhere near as bad last season's missed opportunity.

I'll give them credit. They play good football, and have a decent mix of solidity and attacking threat. All top teams should be built from the back and it's clear Spurs are. It's also what Mourinho will aim to do with his incredibly solid United side.

Spurs need to get the monkey off their back though. You don't want young players becoming used to not winning things. Before long 'young superstar' becomes 'failed promise' or 'wasted career'.

Womp

idiot
Probably more a missed opportunity. But nowhere near as bad last season's missed opportunity.

I'll give them credit. They play good football, and have a decent mix of solidity and attacking threat. All top teams should be built from the back and it's clear Spurs are. It's also what Mourinho will aim to do with his incredibly solid United side.

Spurs need to get the monkey off their back though. You don't want young players becoming used to not winning things. Before long 'young superstar' becomes 'failed promise' or 'wasted career'.
I don't see many of them staying if they stay stagnant for much longer. Alli etc could get more money and win things elsewhere.

They have a good manager and look stable though, so we'll see what happens.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I don't see many of them staying if they stay stagnant for much longer. Alli etc could get more money and win things elsewhere.

They have a good manager and look stable though, so we'll see what happens.
Alli's very young so he has more scope to be patient, but can't shake the feeling there's a bit of the Raheem Sterling about him, where he'll feck off in an acrimonious manner if he gets an offer he can't refuse. Perhaps an unfair comparison. Rooney might be a better one. Another prodigy but extremely ambitious and jumped at the chance to join a club he knew he would win trophies at.

Eriksen would be one who I could see making a fairly normal transfer out to a trophy winning team. I don't think Spurs would dig their heels in in the same way they would for Alli and Kane.

Kane is Spurs through and through (despite being a childhood Arsenal fan), so his loyalty may keep him there, a la Shearer, but hard to say how ambitious he is. I find him a strange one. Never a player I have coveted, but he's becoming one of the most reliable forwards around.

finneh

Ain't over till it's over Chelsea don't have to loose just a couple of draws would take it to the wire
It's Over... Chelsea would have to drop 7 points out of 12 for Spurs to win on goal difference.

That's whilst Spurs are playing United and Leicester/Hull away, whereas Chelsea have gimme's against Sunderland, Watford & Middlesbrough at home.

I'd say there is a greater chance of Spurs finishing 3rd than 1st (which is saying something).

Mana

Supports
Chelsea
Ain't over till it's over Chelsea don't have to loose just a couple of draws would take it to the wire
It's over. I bet my money Chelsea will not lose it from here. Spurs HAD to win yesterday to keep the pressure and failed to do so.

Not to mention Spurs have tough games against United and Leicester coming up. They won't get 6/6 in those games if they were still in it.

red forever

One bad game and now we are a very ordinary side? Behave mate, we have been very good this season.
Good at home yes, but take you away from the Lane against a half decent team and you are very ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.