The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeRed89

Supports
Liverpool
It's really hard to shrugg off years of being just Spursy and to instantly become a truly top team competing from trophies, it's almost the same as being a historical team who competes for trophies (see Man Utd during the Ferguson era or Lpool during the 80's), Spurs has a history of nearmisses and bottlejobs, so for them to shake off that history it's really hard if not impossible, some clubs are just meant to be like this.

Something similar happens with a particular player, namely Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, he's on a path of builiding confidence and delivering good perfomances on the pitch, but every now and then you see glimpses/relicves of his Arsenal past. It's a long and difficult process to coach the Arsenal out of him after so many years spent there. The same as shaking off the stigma that a club like Spurs has.

Sorry for my english if i made some grammar mistakes, but it's not my first language :)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's really hard to shrugg off years of being just Spursy and to instantly become a truly top team competing from trophies, it's almost the same as being a historical team who competes for trophies (see Man Utd during the Ferguson era or Lpool during the 80's), Spurs has a history of nearmisses and bottlejobs, so for them to shake off that history it's really hard if not impossible, some clubs are just meant to be like this.

Something similar happens with a particular player, namely Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, he's on a path of builiding confidence and delivering good perfomances on the pitch, but every now and then you see glimpses/relicves of his Arsenal past. It's a long and difficult process to coach the Arsenal out of him after so many years spent there. The same as shaking off the stigma that a club like Spurs has.

Sorry for my english if i made some grammar mistakes, but it's not my first language :)
Your English is better than most people who's first language is English!

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Such a failure of a season, for all the praise this team gets on this forum they get eliminated again in the R16 of CL, barely battling out for top 4, already out of 1 cup, if they don't win the FA cup then I will really have no words, for all the exciting football they supposedly play they did feck all again for another season, and it's not like you can rely on improving for the future either as it's more likely they will get worse with the department of Kane and maybe another important player, makes me feel good actually, you can all play it nice people and all that but when you see their opinions about Manchester United you realise it's not worth giving all that praise on an enemy team, specially if they don't actually deserve it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Such a failure of a season, for all the praise this team gets on this forum they get eliminated again in the R16 of CL, barely battling out for top 4, already out of 1 cup, if they don't win the FA cup then I will really have no words, for all the exciting football they supposedly play they did feck all again for another season, and it's not like you can rely on improving for the future either as it's more likely they will get worse with the department of Kane and maybe another important player, makes me feel good actually, you can all play it nice people and all that but when you see their opinions about Manchester United you realise it's not worth giving all that praise on an enemy team, specially if they don't actually deserve it.
Mate it hasn't even finished yet.

finneh

Or..you know, you could be a bit less patronising and realise that a Spurs fan who watches pretty much all of their football through season after season may be in a better position than you to say which iteration of which Spurs teams played more entertaining football?

The team under Poch plays better, more attractive football than the team under Redknapp. That is just plain to see., regardless of whatever point you are currently trying to prove about Pochettino and Mourinho, which I think is probably the true purpose of your post and I imagine probably clouds how you watch his team (as nobody would have been stupid enough to say Redknapp was better or played more attractive football than Ferguson).

Logic suggests no such thing. I preferred Jol than Redknapp. Redknapp was a more successful Spurs manager, who played better football but I still preferred Jol. I also preferred Jol over AVB and literally anyone over the snake Sherwood, despite him repeating over and over again how high his win percentage was compared to other Spurs managers.

I feel it is starting to get a bit pointless to debate Poch and his achievements (and very real faults as well) on here as the comparisons to Mourinho have made people lose objectivity. Which is fair enough, as you said, it is ultimately a sport rife with bias. However, as it became with Nani vs Bale as people on here felt Bale was getting too much credit vs Nani, the debates became silly and pointless. My personal favourite was Nani is already better than Bale's highest ceiling. Saying Redknapp played better football is pretty much in line with those comments.
The statistics this season back up the opinion I've formed by watching Spurs but we'll have to agree to disagree. At least you can be safe in the knowledge that my opinion will be the minority because the perpetual media orgasm over Spurs shows no signs of thawing.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The statistics this season back up the opinion I've formed by watching Spurs but we'll have to agree to disagree. At least you can be safe in the knowledge that my opinion will be the minority because the perpetual media orgasm over Spurs shows no signs of thawing.
What statistics back up which opinion, I'm unclear if you're talking about Redknapp and Poch or Poch and Mourinho?

AshRK

Big win for spurs especially after the CL setback. Still prefer to see them in CL than chelsea, of course liverpool missing out would be great but cant see that happening.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Luckily for Spurs they only have one match for the next 3 weeks.

Should beat Swansea minus Kane given Son’s current form.

Akshay

Staff
Excellent comeback win in trying circumstances, what with Kane injured. Bournemouth I think spurned their chances to put the game to bed early on and Spurs punished them in ruthless fashion. An important three points to distance themselves from Chelsea.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Excellent comeback win in trying circumstances, what with Kane injured. Bournemouth I think spurned their chances to put the game to bed early on and Spurs punished them in ruthless fashion. An important three points to distance themselves from Chelsea.
Can't really agree with that, Bournemouth were denied a legitimate goal and Son scored an offside goal. The game was completely changed by poor officiating, which gave Spurs loads of momentum. Had Bournemouth equalized to make it 2-2 the draw was the most likely result.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Can't really agree with that, Bournemouth were denied a legitimate goal and Son scored an offside goal. The game was completely changed by poor officiating, which gave Spurs loads of momentum. Had Bournemouth equalized to make it 2-2 the draw was the most likely result.
:nono:

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
One thing for sure, the Spurs from the yesteryears would have folded after the mid-week heartbreak and going down 0-1 so early in the game.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
As soul destroying as empty trophy cabinets? Save a few quid and don't bother with one in the new stadium. You might need a few quid to try and keep Harry in the summer :p
OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh...

Spurs fans will spend days thinking of a comeback to this.
Brutal!

:lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Real lucky to get the win against Bournemouth tbf, not much will be made of the incidents as its only Bournemouth and Spurs but my god were they lucky.

Sure, Poch has some managerial pedigree but Tottenham's capabilities is blown way out of proportions. Every team in the league plays the odd entertaining game and every top 8 club goes on a run of form through out the season. That's what they have done for years, and are still doing. The only thing is they have a few better players now and a good manager, but it's just not enough. It's a long and hard season and the consistent work put in by the manager will put you on the top of the table. A few great runs of beautiful football wont, as when that run ends its boring and it doesn't even bring results.

The players looked fed up against Bournemouth, not much to play for and it showed. As the expectations for the club rises, the expectations of the players will too and if the manager doesn't manage to keep them hungry when the going gets tough, then someone else will.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Real lucky to get the win against Bournemouth tbf, not much will be made of the incidents as its only Bournemouth and Spurs but my god were they lucky.

Sure, Poch has some managerial pedigree but Tottenham's capabilities is blown way out of proportions. Every team in the league plays the odd entertaining game and every top 8 club goes on a run of form through out the season. That's what they have done for years, and are still doing. The only thing is they have a few better players now and a good manager, but it's just not enough. It's a long and hard season and the consistent work put in by the manager will put you on the top of the table. A few great runs of beautiful football wont, as when that run ends its boring and it doesn't even bring results.

The players looked fed up against Bournemouth, not much to play for and it showed. As the expectations for the club rises, the expectations of the players will too and if the manager doesn't manage to keep them hungry when the going gets tough, then someone else will.
Don't really know what you getting at you had a great start your players pressed as well as I've seen any team do but as expected couldn't keep it up. When Harry went off our setup changed and really controlled the rest of the game you had one shot on target and I think 30% of the ball. You players looked jaded at the start, probably due to the game in mid week and and the early goal didn't help. We're still in the FA Cup btw.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You're kinda right, but I was referring to the disallowed goal, and the 100% chance chip that hit the post. It's luck. Davidson Sanchez jumped way too early so when he received the minimal contact push he went flying, but it really wasn't the attackers fault he jumped early so it didn't really deserve a free-kick. So again, you were lucky. Unlucky with Kane tho, but the players certainly didn't seem hungry or anything. Boring actually. Thought it would be an open free flowing game but your manager surely are pragmatic isn't he

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You're kinda right, but I was referring to the disallowed goal, and the 100% chance chip that hit the post. It's luck. Davidson Sanchez jumped way too early so when he received the minimal contact push he went flying, but it really wasn't the attackers fault he jumped early so it didn't really deserve a free-kick. So again, you were lucky. Unlucky with Kane tho, but the players certainly didn't seem hungry or anything. Boring actually. Thought it would be an open free flowing game but your manager surely are pragmatic isn't he
I enjoyed the game, it wasn't free flowing because you sat back in tight banks and our wide FBs were shite, they seen so much of the ball but couldn't hit a decent cross when in good positions.

You ignore the Son penalty should which I agree would have been soft but there was contact. It's the kind of game we come up against all the time you forced us to push high.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If they win the FA cup and finish top four would you say a successful season, given budget, size of the club?

Rickdog

Supports
Chilean National team
Not if the 5th place team wins the CL and Arsenal wins the EL which means that the team that finishes 4th will not be in the CL next season.
For next CL the teams that won the CL and EL the year before , get direct spots to group phase regardless on how they finish in their respectful local leagues. So if the Premier league gets 4 teams to group phase for next CL, and also happens that 2 other teams diferent to those whom finish among the top 4 teams at the premier league, were the champions of EL and CL from the last year, could potentially have 6 of its teams at the CL.

All 4 best placed team at the premier league, will always be getting CL spots for next year (nothing other teams do will change anything).

Akshay

Staff
For next CL the teams that won the CL and EL the year before , get direct spots to group phase regardless on how they finish in their respectful local leagues. So if the Premier league gets 4 teams to group phase for next CL, and also happens that 2 other teams diferent to those whom finish among the top 4 teams at the premier league, were the champions of EL and CL from the last year, could potentially have 6 of its teams at the CL.

All 4 best placed team at the premier league, will always be getting CL spots for next year (nothing other teams do will change anything).
In the scenario you've mentioned, the 4th place team for the PL would miss out on CL and go to EL instead. This rule is from 2013, and I don't believe it has changed yet.

Rickdog

Supports
Chilean National team
In the scenario you've mentioned, the 4th place team for the PL would miss out on CL and go to EL instead. This rule is from 2013, and I don't believe it has changed yet.
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2499801.html#/

It clearly says that current champions of both EL and CL, get direct entry to group stage, and in case they qualified through their domestic leagues, their places are replaced by teams of other associations, whom if not would have to go through the preliminary elimination stages.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Now that Kane is injured, would be interesting to see how they deal without him. Son's form makes it easier for them to cope but losing their best player is an huge blow.

Also Kane will not be rushed back from injury, he'd want to make sure that he's fit and ready for World Cup.

Rickdog

Supports
Chilean National team
The page you've linked says

This is the rule I'm referring to. Six teams cannot qualify for CL from one league.
yes, I also find it to be annoying, to say the least, as they didn't even consider with what team to replace that 4th placed team from the suposed association that could also have some of their teams be the champions of both the EL and CL, in order to comply to that rule you quoted (maybe they didn't even consider that possibility to ever happen).

But nevertheless, it really hasn't discarded anything out completely, as in this Q & A section related to the whole issue, it says that if the case ever happens they will discuss it in due course :

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398611.html#/

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Now that Kane is injured, would be interesting to see how they deal without him. Son's form makes it easier for them to cope but losing their best player is an huge blow.

Also Kane will not be rushed back from injury, he'd want to make sure that he's fit and ready for World Cup.
Yes we will miss him but not as much as some believe we will, yesterday was a prime example. When we play with Kane teams know how to set up to defend it, when we were forced to make the change we started finding holes. Son will step up IMHO, of course I want Kane back but only when he's ready.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They can't win the league or the UCL. Has the season not finished for spurs in terms of these two?
Yes of course - we still have a chance of an FA cup and there is still plenty to play for in the league re: top 4 so the season is far from over as a whole.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It is a massive blow but as others have said we have managed without him before and I'm sure we will do this time as well - the likes of Son are incredibly important in these situations. Fingers crossed Kane is back in a couple of weeks and it's not too serious.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is a massive blow but as others have said we have managed without him before and I'm sure we will do this time as well - the likes of Son are incredibly important in these situations. Fingers crossed Kane is back in a couple of weeks and it's not too serious.
You can forget about Son scoring anytime soon. I have picked him in fantasy team.

Status
Not open for further replies.