The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You waited until we lost a game to quote my (perfectly reasonable) post from a week ago?

You’re completely wrong - we didn’t bottle it last night. We were set up to concede possession and nick a goal. It was embarrassing and our players couldn’t make simple passes and to be frank although we’ve had worse performances, it was as demoralising as any I’ve ever seen from United - apparently we now don’t even attack at Old Trafford any more.

Tottenham are better than us and set out to play better football. Your team should have beaten Juventus, and to be honest you should be ahead of both us and Liverpool in the league, just as you should have beaten Leicester to the title two years ago.

To start changing that, imo your club NEEDS to win the FA cup this year, and with City out that’s your best chance. But would you really be all that confident if you got us in the final?
In fairness you did basically the same thing.

In fact basically all the United fans do the same thing. This thread really only gets much action if Spurs lose a game. Otherwise it's just Glaston or another Spurs poster giving a stadium update or the like.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In fairness you did basically the same thing.

In fact basically all the United fans do the same thing. This thread really only gets much action if Spurs lose a game. Otherwise it's just Glaston or another Spurs poster giving a stadium update or the like.
You read what you want to in that case. Apart from Spurs forum, there isn't a forum that praise Poch and Spurs more than Redcafe.

Few even have problem with OTT praise they gets here.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You read what you want to in that case. Apart from Spurs forum, there isn't a forum that praise Poch and Spurs more than Redcafe.

Few even have problem with OTT praise they gets here.
You're right there is a fair amount of praise around here for Spurs and Poch.

That said this thread should likely be renamed as it isn't really a thread to discuss Spurs. It's more in line with the "Lets laugh at 'x' " type of thread.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Would people consider Spurs favourites for the FA cup now? With Chelsea and to some extent Uniteds form paired with Wembley being a comfortable ground?

(Watch us loose against Swansea now :( )

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
You can't be serious. Why do Spurs fans insist on underrating their players so much, they've actually convinced themselves that they are fine without Harry Kane, he's one of the best goalscorers in the world!

By the way, Kane missed the game at OT, and you lost. In that game, Son played as a striker and you offered virtually nothing going forward. So much for that 'myth'.
Mmmm... Well, I think we went unbeaten with a higher PPG when Kane missed a few games last season, and in general we`ve done OK without him. That said, of course we miss him and would have liked him to play. But given Son`s current form I think we choose to remain optimistic as he and the team have indeed done alright when played up top. Going into panic mode wouldn`t help regardless. We shall see I guess.

Against Chelsea and City I personally think we will really miss him. As we saw against Bournemouth, we should have enough other players that can score to break the other teams down.

PS! Personally I`d like us to try Alli up top and get Moura in there as well... Risky of course as Son is probably a more natural goal scorer and you lose Lamela`s defensive effort.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You can't be serious. Why do Spurs fans insist on underrating their players so much, they've actually convinced themselves that they are fine without Harry Kane, he's one of the best goalscorers in the world!

By the way, Kane missed the game at OT, and you lost. In that game, Son played as a striker and you offered virtually nothing going forward. So much for that 'myth'.
We don't underrate our players - in fact we have confidence that the players who will replace Kane will do a great job. It's the opposite of what you are suggesting.

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
Would people consider Spurs favourites for the FA cup now? With Chelsea and to some extent Uniteds form paired with Wembley being a comfortable ground?

Well, probably not in this forum for obvious reasons. ^^
As for the rest of the universe Betfair is at least a good indicator for the betting part of the population and there we are joint favourites:

Utd and Spurs at 4/1
Chelsea at 11/2

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Spurs have wracked up a few injuries recently and have some players coming back that are not 100%. Could make a difference to the FA cup, Chelsea have been in shite form, ive even got some money riding on a Leicester win. The odds I looked at we were favourites at 9/4 with Spurs second on 5/2.

Be interesting to see if the Harry Kane team goes with the hold up ability of Llorente away at Swansea or they go with the pace of Son in that striker role. It's certainly a good chance to prove they are not the Harry Kane team.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Pretty big news for Tottenham that Real Madrid have agreed terms with Lewandowski (assuming the source is right). That surely means no approach for Kane from Madrid at least.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty big news for Tottenham that Real Madrid have agreed terms with Lewandowski (assuming the source is right). That surely means no approach for Kane from Madrid at least.
In a way, but I couldn't see Kane leave this summer anyway. Chances are that Madrid have already contacted him as a matter of availability before making this decision anyway. I honestly don't think Kane is not interested in leaving Spurs this summer regardless, and that's that. :)

Next summer is a different summer though, and much can happen between now and then.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs have wracked up a few injuries recently and have some players coming back that are not 100%. Could make a difference to the FA cup, Chelsea have been in shite form, ive even got some money riding on a Leicester win. The odds I looked at we were favourites at 9/4 with Spurs second on 5/2.

Be interesting to see if the Harry Kane team goes with the hold up ability of Llorente away at Swansea or they go with the pace of Son in that striker role. It's certainly a good chance to prove they are not the Harry Kane team.
I think we showed that pretty conclusively.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
In a way, but I couldn't see Kane leave this summer anyway. Chances are that Madrid have already contacted him as a matter of availability before making this decision anyway. I honestly don't think Kane is not interested in leaving Spurs this summer regardless, and that's that. :)

Next summer is a different summer though, and much can happen between now and then.
Agreed. I always thought he'd stay too and pretty much confirmed now as I doubt anyone else except City/Us could afford him and i'd be staggered if Levy sold him to a PL rival.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
I think Spurs have looked even more of a fluid attacking side without Kane.

It's almost like the attacking quartet of Son, Lamela, Alli and Eriksen are relishing the opportunity to step up in Kanes absence.

Moura impressed me hugely yesterday too.

It's only been Swansea and Bournemouth but it seems defences don't know how to defend against an attack with no obvious striker but loads of attacking movement, pace and trickery.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think Spurs have looked even more of a fluid attacking side without Kane.

It's almost like the attacking quartet of Son, Lamela, Alli and Eriksen are relishing the opportunity to step up in Kanes absence.

Moura impressed me hugely yesterday too.

It's only been Swansea and Bournemouth but it seems defences don't know how to defend against an attack with no obvious striker but loads of attacking movement, pace and trickery.
Against a tbf below average Swansea team that ceded possession pretty much across the park. You want that hold up play in games where you are not totally dominating possession. That is where Kane comes in, he is pretty much Drogba's size in regards to muscling defenders, but much more clinical.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Against a tbf below average Swansea team that ceded possession pretty much across the park. You want that hold up play in games where you are not totally dominating possession. That is where Kane comes in, he is pretty much Drogba's size in regards to muscling defenders, but much more clinical.

I think actually Chelsea are better set up defensively to handle a Kane type of striker as Cahill and the others prefer the big physical battles. If we set up with lots of movement between the lines, with quick and skillfull players like Moura, Lamela, Son, Eriksen, Alli then Chelsea may find it more difficult. I'm not comparing us to Barcelona, but it's that type of attack might work better as we saw when Barcelona blew Chelsea away in the CL. If Kane isn't fit we haven't got a choice anyway so I guess we will find out.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Deleted member 101472

The Brazil National Team will use our newly completed Lodge (recently built hotel inside the training centre) as their training base ahead of the World Cup in Russia this summer.

They'll also have will have a gym, swimming pool and two official-size football pitches available to them.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/brazil-to-use-new-lodge-as-pre-world-cup-training-base-190318/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...ies-ahead-of-world-cup-idUKKBN1GV216?rpc=401&
:lol:

Good to know they’ll be able to do some training at their training base, stellar stuff from spurs to think of that.

Wotspur

Honestly I don't really care that much I'm in Nothern Ireland so only get over 3-4 times a season. From what I can see the cheapest tickets have only risen by £30 a season while the premium have risen by £300. I don't really know how that compares to other clubs.
To you and Balaks if you ever need help getting tickets, let me know( be sensible Bournemouth and Brighton away and NLD at home, No chance) . I understand from Spurs FB forums that next year from Belfast flights from 25 to Standstead ( every Sat we are away ! Probably) but I know a few STH who make it every game .......sometimes check out flights to Bournemouth or Gatwick as cheaper route....try GOEuro or Jacks Flight club for cheaper flights

Wotspur

A below average Swansea......who in 10 games had beaten Arsenal and Liverpool and had lost only 1 game ( to Spurs I believe )
Last year when Kane went off against Millwall in the fa cup it was 0-0 and went on to win 6-0 , and then in the next 8 games scored more goals and conceeded least of any team .

James Peril

The Brazil National Team will use our newly completed Lodge (recently built hotel inside the training centre) as their training base ahead of the World Cup in Russia this summer.

They'll also have will have a gym, swimming pool and two official-size football pitches available to them.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/brazil-to-use-new-lodge-as-pre-world-cup-training-base-190318/

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...ies-ahead-of-world-cup-idUKKBN1GV216?rpc=401&
And then you had to log into a Manchester United-forum and copy in this incredibly uninteresting piece of news? Which makes the bloody Spurs-thread go on top again on said Manchester United-forum? Yeah yeah, I know, I don’t have to click if I don’t want to.

podurban2

And then you had to log into a Manchester United-forum and copy in this incredibly uninteresting piece of news? Which makes the bloody Spurs-thread go on top again on said Manchester United-forum? Yeah yeah, I know, I don’t have to click if I don’t want to.
:lol:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Feck me, you are in the big league now. Watch out Madrid and Barca.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's not uninteresting to Spurs fans (and this is the Spurs thread) for two reasons: (a) it confirms the completion of our player lodge/hotel within our training centre; and (b) the more players from other teams - in this case the Brazilian national team - see how amazing our training new centre is, the easier it gets for Spurs to sign new players.

I have to say that your post is a hell of a lot less interesting than mine was ... so well done.

Peanut Butter

No one cares.

Wotspur

As I’ve only 1 more post tonight I’ll answer quite a few “Digs”at Spurs.
Regarding the increase in season ticket prices , yes they’ve gone from 795 to 995 in a similar area , but what most don’t remember is that formthe last two seasons at WHL there was no price increase, it’s the equivalent over 3 years if a ST at OT had gone from 550 + 11% each year , highly possible and was now 665 , remember everything costs more in London .
Regarding Harry Kane , he was 5 years ago a chunky kid on 10k a week , through a massive transformation and a strong work ethic, he is now on 110k + massive bonuses , he plays football for football and money is not his motive .
I guarantee he will be at Spurs at least next season , cause he wants to play at the New WHL ( I am so sure , I’ll wear a Gooooners shirt for a month if he leaves and put a picture up here . His girlfriend is pregnant with their second child and there is no way she’d want to move away from her family for at least a year.......and whilst we’ve had 3 good seasons compared to the last 20 years, we have got close.......and compare Poch achievements to SAf in their respective first 3 years, it’s pretty impressive, especially when we pay probably 2-5m a week less than City Utd and Chelski pay in wages and 100’s of millions less in transfers , if we spent the same as you , wed be above you

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilt

Ooo.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
A below average Swansea......who in 10 games had beaten Arsenal and Liverpool and had lost only 1 game ( to Spurs I believe )
Last year when Kane went off against Millwall in the fa cup it was 0-0 and went on to win 6-0 , and then in the next 8 games scored more goals and conceeded least of any team .
Swansea are sitting in 17th place with a goal difference of -17 and have lost 4-1 to Brighton recently who incidentally also beat Arsenal. So yes I think below average is about right for a description for the Swansea teams performance this season.

Wotspur

Bit unfair to say , because they’re sitting in 17th it was average result , I think since 2nd Jan the only team they’ve lost to is us and Brighton , and before their new manager came in they were stranded at the bottom , so their current form is probably around 10th or better . Be interesting to see how you get on next week and see How average they are

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just seen a tweet showing Spurs new stadium, looks amazing tbf. I have serious doubts it will be ready for August though, could be another season at Wembley.
It’s to be ready in September, we will play our first few games away apparently, but should be ready, weather permitting of course.

Really pleased we managed to stay at the original site, cannot wait to see it completed.

Frank Grimes

Time will tell, we will definitely be in at some point at the start of next season.
I remember reading on a Spurs forum that it is very possible it will not be ready in time. Also you can't play at 2 different home grounds in a season so it will have to be ready by mid September at the latest. I'm sure it will be known in the next few months either way. I hope it is as I don't like Spurs playing in Wembley.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I remember reading on a Spurs forum that it is very possible it will not be ready in time. Also you can't play at 2 different home grounds in a season so it will have to be ready by mid September at the latest. I'm sure it will be known in the next few months either way.
I'd say we would need to have something sorted with Wembley by now if we were to need it, i haven't heard much worry from our fans if I am being honest. Levy said only last month he was confident the stadium will be ready. Season tickets went on sale last week, we have 5-6 months left and the main structure is complete and hopefully the majority of bad weather behind us.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

At school I was fortunate enough to have a friend whose father was a rabid Tottenham fan and in 1988 (yes, I'm old), I was lucky enough to be taken to this game at the Lane:
Apart from an amazing Mark Hughes goal and Chris Waddle dribbling like a god, my main memory was the excellent atmosphere and being very near the pitch - I hope the new stadium can retain some of this but I fear it'll be built for comfort rather than atmosphere like too many a modern venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.