The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Not to mention the serial beatings at the hands of Juventus in the mid 90s.

There was also a good while around the turn of the century where Ferguson tried to adopt a more patient and pragmatic approach to game management in Europe but simply wasn't very good at it and would frequently get punished when they tried to cede initiative to the opposition.

I don't think he figured it out properly until Queiroz arrived really. The 99 CL was won in spite of this deficiency really.
In 90s, ManUtd played Juventus 6 times, record is won 2, lost 3, drew once. Not a bad record considering Serie A was by far the best league and Juventus were just amazingly strong team who reached 3 finals in 3 years.

In 2002-03, ManUtd completely destroyed Juventus with 5-1 aggregate win.

So if I'm not wrong, SAF played juventus 8 times, winning 4, losing 3 and drew once.

ManUtd played Juventus in KO rounds twice and won both times.

They played in group stages twice, with each winning their group once.

Also only time Juventus scored more than 1 goal in a game was in 3-2 defeat. ManUtd's record against Juventus is very good if you consider 2002-03 also, if only 90s then it's a good enough record. Not some serial beatings like you mentioned.

Bold part is laughable, 99 was won because of how good ManUtd was in attacking the game. Manutd scored 20 goals in group stage and IIRC it was record before PSG broke it this season. This includes 6 goals against Barca, 3 against Bayern.

In KOs played Inter, Juventus and scored in every single game.

Some serious rewriting of history here. Carlos obviously helped in mid 2000s, but lets not forget the team that Fergie built and peaked at the right time with some great players playing in the same team.

Djemba-Djemba

This small time loser mindset is pathetic.

There is nothing favourable about getting knocked out at the first time of asking in the CL.
Always makes me laugh when people try and claim getting knocked out of a cup is actually a good thing.

Usually seems to be by fans of teams who haven't won anything for ages.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In 90s, ManUtd played Juventus 6 times, record is won 2, lost 3, drew once. Not a bad record considering Serie A was by far the best league and Juventus were just amazingly strong team who reached 3 finals in 3 years.

In 2002-03, ManUtd completely destroyed Juventus with 5-1 aggregate win.

So if I'm not wrong, SAF played juventus 8 times, winning 4, losing 3 and drew once.

ManUtd played Juventus in KO rounds twice and won both times.

They played in group stages twice, with each winning their group once.

Also only time Juventus scored more than 1 goal in a game was in 3-2 defeat. ManUtd's record against Juventus is very good if you consider 2002-03 also, if only 90s then it's a good enough record. Not some serial beatings like you mentioned.
Christ.

You lost 3 out of 4 games to juve in the mid 90s. At the time, in case you weren't around, it was seen as a clear demonstration of how United still lacked top European calibre.

Bold part is laughable, 99 was won because of how good ManUtd was in attacking the game.
So exactly what I said then.

Take a deep breath and try typing without trembling fingers.

roonster09

Scout
Christ.

You lost 3 out of 4 games to juve in the mid 90s. At the time, in case you weren't around, it was seen as a clear demonstration of how United still lacked top European calibre.

So exactly what I said then.

Take a deep breath and try typing without trembling fingers.
So the time we beat Juventus is ignored to make your point? We played Juventus in 3 seasons in 90s,
first season lost both games, finished below Juventus
second season won 1, lost 1, finished as group winners
3rd season won 1, drew 1 and eliminated Juventus in semi finals.

That's not losing serially, it's making very clear progress every season.

So yeah, take a deep breath and try not to select seasons that fit your agenda. It's funny when ManUtd played Juventus in 3 consecutive seasons, you selected only 2 to fit your point.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So the time we beat Juventus is ignored to make your point? We played Juventus in 3 seasons in 90s,

So yeah, take a deep breath and try not to select seasons that fit your agenda. It's funny when ManUtd played Juventus in 3 consecutive seasons, you selected only 2 to fit your point.
Also the game we lost in the second season was meaningless to us. We were already through.

roonster09

Scout
Also the game we lost in the second season was meaningless to us. We were already through
Exactly. Won 5 out of 5 games with Juventus on 9 points. We were already group winners, so it was a nothing game.

Litch

I think Spurs have done well and were a little unlucky. I guess that's the issue is taking the team onto the next level and I suspect that some players and maybe the manager will think, we are playing great football, with some of the best players in the league yet still no closer to winning anything. I can see them losing a couple a big players this summer and maybe even the manager too. Real and PSG will be looking for a manager and opportunities to Chelsea and Arsenal with create opportunities elsewhere too. They are vulnerable and players in the World Cup window won't help...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

You really are being way too precious here. Nothing in my post was about trying to put a bad spin on united in Europe.
It was about the clear narrative throughout the 90s about Ferguson's struggles to make the step up to the European elite, despite his domestic success and how he tried to do so. It's not controversial. Of course you made progress during the period.

@Boycott countered the point that Ferguson wouldn't always bank on his players being able to force control of the game for the whole 180 minutes, by arguing that it took some years before he mastered that kind of game management in Europe. I elaborated on the point. You then went off on one as if I stuck a fork in your sacred cow for a quick snack.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Loving this Spurs chat guys :D

Sun 11 Bournemouth A
TBC Newcastle H
Sat 17 Swansea A (FA Cup QF)

Sun 01 Chelsea A
Sat 07 Stoke A
Sat 14 Man City H
Fri 20 Brighton A
Mon 30 Watford H

Sat 05 West Brom A
Sun 13 Leicester H

They're five ahead of Chelsea in fourth with those fixtures left. Chelsea on April Fools' Day (:cool:) is critical but barring that and City at Wembley they have a clear run. They are very strong candidates for top four from here and they should also be taking the FA Cup extremely seriously, as there is only Chelsea and ourselves left who should cause them any problems.

With no CL to worry about they will need a very good reason to miss out on at least the cup final and Blair/Campbell-style spin levels to excuse missing out on top four. For what it's worth I expect them to finish the season very strongly.

roonster09

Scout
You really are being way too precious here. Nothing in my post was about trying to put a bad spin on united in Europe.
It was about the clear narrative throughout the 90s about Ferguson's struggles to make the step up to the European elite, despite his domestic success and how he tried to do so. It's not controversial. Of course you made progress during the period.

@Boycott countered the point that Ferguson wouldn't always bank on his players being able to force control of the game for the whole 180 minutes, by arguing that it took some years before he mastered that kind of game management in Europe. I elaborated on the point. You then went off on one as if I stuck a fork in your sacred cow for a quick snack.
Calling out mistakes is not being precious.

SAF reached SF, QF before winning it in 99. Obviously it wasn't easy for any English club in 90s as they were so much behind the Italian and Spanish clubs, not to mention the spending of some clubs in Serie A and La Liga, and also best players playing in Serie A.

Also depends on what you call as control. If it's playing possession game then it's a mistake to even attempt that when ManUtd were so good on counters. Even under Carlos Quieroz, we didn't control games with possession, we controlled by playing cautiously.

Btw, I was replying to serial beatings against Juventus when the record was 2-1 before playing a dead rubber in 98, then the record was 3-2 in favor of Juventus after 1998-99 season. So yeah, I replied to that point which was just wrong. There is nothing precious about it.

I would be surprised to see any club with better record against Juventus in those 3 seasons (who played so many games against them in CL).

Peanut Butter

Loving this Spurs chat guys :D

Sun 11 Bournemouth A
TBC Newcastle H
Sat 17 Swansea A (FA Cup QF)

Sun 01 Chelsea A
Sat 07 Stoke A
Sat 14 Man City H
Fri 20 Brighton A
Mon 30 Watford H

Sat 05 West Brom A
Sun 13 Leicester H

They're five ahead of Chelsea in fourth with those fixtures left. Chelsea on April Fools' Day (:cool:) is critical but barring that and City at Wembley they have a clear run. They are very strong candidates for top four from here and they should also be taking the FA Cup extremely seriously, as there is only Chelsea and ourselves left who should cause them any problems.

With no CL to worry about they will need a very good reason to miss out on at least the cup final and Blair/Campbell-style spin levels to excuse missing out on top four. For what it's worth I expect them to finish the season very strongly.
A trophy is huge for Spurs now, Top 4 isn't a prize.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
My point is they should be aiming for both, as they are very gettable from here. Top four is important as Spurs see themselves mixing it with the best in Europe, but I agree they need silverware.

Peanut Butter

My point is they should be aiming for both, as they are very gettable from here. Top four is important as Spurs see themselves mixing it with the best in Europe, but I agree they need silverware.
They've been easing themselves into Europe since the Arry days.

Spurs are nearly men. They're good on the eye and have a talented young manager. But their best players will always want to play for the big, historic clubs eventually.

Liverpool worry me more. Their name alone carries huge weight in the football world.

roonster09

Scout

So looks like PSG will be in for Poch in the summer.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah - the FA cup is now a massive competition for us this year. Having now slept on it and (finally) calmed down a bit I can reflect on what has been a good European campaign overall - we had one of the toughest groups which we topped and were beaten in a very close tie by one of the giants of European football full of experience. Disappointed yes but downhearted no. I know we keep saying it but it is true - we are improving year on year - I do not think we would have got through that group last year.

As long as we continue to show incremental improvements then I have no doubt that we will start winning things - with a bit of luck. I think the team still is inexperienced when it counts - as is Poch tbh and I hope that they grow from this experience and the manager becomes more pro-active in adapting to changes within games - that let us down last night and the players didn't know how to cope with Juve's changes in the second half.

If we end this season in the top 4 and win the FA cup I'll be very happy with this season as a whole - especially given the disruption due to the move to Wembley this was always going to be a tough season for us but we have dealt with it better than I'd expected. If we don't win the FA cup then I will be a bit disappointed tbh as my expectations for this team are growing and we should be getting to finals on a regular basis given the talent we have.

Akshay

Staff
I'll never forget Gary Neville's interview after we secured progress past the group stage in 99, first question out of his mouth was 'did Juventus qualify?' and his heart sinks to learn they did. We definitely considered them to be on another level to us at the time. The come from behind win in Turin was all the more sweet because of that. Coming of age in Europe for that team.

I think Queiroz did a lot to improve the team tactically and bring up United's play to a modern level. But I consider the real impetus for United's success in Europe to always have been a rise in standards of domestic competition. United as a club have generally been happy to accept being below the very elite in Europe as long as they were top dogs in England. I doubt the treble happens without Wenger's double. And 08' without Abramovich and Mourinho's Chelsea.

It's a long trek for a club to gain the mentality and aura required to succeed in Europe. City still haven't made a final despite their years of mega spending. That incredible Chelsea side didn't succeed until they were almost out of time. I don't expect Spurs to become a force in Europe overnight, for now reaching the knockout round consistently is progress. But they had a big chance to turn a corner last night and squandered it.

Trizy

Yeah - the FA cup is now a massive competition for us this year. Having now slept on it and (finally) calmed down a bit I can reflect on what has been a good European campaign overall - we had one of the toughest groups which we topped and were beaten in a very close tie by one of the giants of European football full of experience. Disappointed yes but downhearted no. I know we keep saying it but it is true - we are improving year on year - I do not think we would have got through that group last year.

Don't see why Spurs fans are disappointed though. No one expected you to qualify from your group, yet you topped it and then went on to outplay a team over two legs which every said would hammer you. You need luck on your side in knockout competitions, unfortunately for Spurs, it wasn't their night.

To be honest Spurs were never going to win the CL so both the fans and players should be happy and already looking forward to it next year.

roonster09

Scout

As long as we continue to show incremental improvements then I have no doubt that we will start winning things - with a bit of luck. I think the team still is inexperienced when it counts - as is Poch tbh and I hope that they grow from this experience and the manager becomes more pro-active in adapting to changes within games - that let us down last night and the players didn't know how to cope with Juve's changes in the second half.

If we end this season in the top 4 and win the FA cup I'll be very happy with this season as a whole - especially given the disruption due to the move to Wembley this was always going to be a tough season for us but we have dealt with it better than I'd expected. If we don't win the FA cup then I will be a bit disappointed tbh as my expectations for this team are growing and we should be getting to finals on a regular basis given the talent we have.
Yeah, Spurs can take lot of positives from their CL campaign. Thought they would be out in group stages but did really well, then took the game to Juventus and fought really well.

Don't think it was because of team's inexperience you were knocked out, Spurs players are all every experienced playing at highest level for years except Sanchez, it's just Juve produced moments of brilliance when mattered most. It happens even to the best of teams.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

All very fair. Can I ask how you'd judge fourth and no FA Cup? Though I can already see the narrative changing from 'Spurs need a trophy' to 'Spurs need a good trophy, FA Cup doesn't count' if you win it I'm firmly in the camp that it is a great trophy to win and that it would be particularly huge for Spurs.

You are without doubt the form team playing the best football out of the teams left and, though anything can happen in one-off ties, you should have this firmly in your sights. I think Spurs are at the point now where missing out on it from here wouldn't be a case of 'unlucky, progress progress' but would be downright failure.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Damn I'm so glad they got beaten. Spurs are a great team to watch but they have a mostly detestable fan base.

Great effort to top the group and the first leg was a solid marker.

Spurs can keep Spursing though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

All very fair. Can I ask how you'd judge fourth and no FA Cup? Though I can already see the narrative changing from 'Spurs need a trophy' to 'Spurs need a good trophy, FA Cup doesn't count' if you win it I'm firmly in the camp that it is a great trophy to win and that it would be particularly huge for Spurs.

You are without doubt the form team playing the best football out of the teams left and, though anything can happen in one-off ties, you should have this firmly in your sights. I think Spurs are at the point now where missing out on it from here wouldn't be a case of 'unlucky, progress progress' but would be downright failure.
The FA Cup is a great trophy for a team trying to get a foothold. We were Shite when we won it.

We kicked on and won two titles the best season.

The season after that we're on for recording a title winning points total - sadly in a year that the league has been smashed out of sight by a side as good as we've seen in a single season period (in the PL).

If we don't win it, I'd like Spurs to. They're a good side.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I would be disappointed in our season if we only got the top 4 (which is still not certain).

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's 100% not Glaston's fault, most posters that are annoyed by him have him on ignore. There's lots of reasons to dislike Spurs:

- Dele Alli is a diver and thug
- Dembele is a thug
- Dier was a thug until he had a dig at Herrera and ever since then has been soft
- Pochettino encourages his players to be divers and thugs
- The media is filled with Liverpool and Spurs players who haven't won in donkeys ages, so they champion Kane and Alli as England's new hope

roonster09

Scout
It's 100% not Glaston's fault, most posters that are annoyed by him have him on ignore. There's lots of reasons to dislike Spurs:

- Dembele is a thug
- Dier was a thug until he had a dig at Herrera and ever since then has been soft
- The media is filled with Liverpool and Spurs players who haven't won in donkeys ages, so they champion Kane and Alli as England's new hope
Add Lamela too.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I would be disappointed in our season if we only got the top 4 (which is still not certain).
Thanks, and yes that's how I see it for Spurs.

Damn I'm so glad they got beaten. Spurs are a great team to watch but they have a mostly detestable fan base.

Great effort to top the group and the first leg was a solid marker.

Spurs can keep Spursing though.
The FA Cup is a great trophy for a team trying to get a foothold. We were Shite when we won it.

We kicked on and won two titles the best season.

The season after that we're on for recording a title winning points total - sadly in a year that the league has been smashed out of sight by a side as good as we've seen in a single season period (in the PL).

If we don't win it, I'd like Spurs to. They're a good side.
Err... :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

Thanks, and yes that's how I see it for Spurs.

Err... :lol:
Those two statements do not run against each other.

I like the football team. Enjoy watching them.

Fans are annoying.

Happy to watch them celebrate an FA Cup. Couldn't have put up with their fans crowing about beating Juve and going through.

I love football. Spurs play great football. But that will always be tempered by a fan base.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Those two statements do not run against each other.

I like the football team. Enjoy watching them.

Fans are annoying.

Happy to watch them celebrate an FA Cup. Couldn't have put up with their fans crowing about beating Juve and going through.

I love football. Spurs play great football. But that will always be tempered by a fan base.
Understood, I just found it funny you're happy they're out of Europe because their fans are cnuts but you'd be fine with those very same cnut fans celebrating an FA Cup win, potentially at our expense.

I agree they're a good team to watch and wouldn't mind them winning the cup if we don't manage it.

EDIT: I also appreciate the difference in their fans enjoying a domestic cup win vs flying high against Europe's elite.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

- Dembele is a thug
If you're going to make a statement that apparently speaks for all you should probably have a better argument than that list which you've provided which are very very strange reasons to dislike Spurs (bar Alli being a diver)

James Peril

Don't see why Spurs fans are disappointed though. No one expected you to qualify from your group, yet you topped it and then went on to outplay a team over two legs which every said would hammer you. You need luck on your side in knockout competitions, unfortunately for Spurs, it wasn't their night.

To be honest Spurs were never going to win the CL so both the fans and players should be happy and already looking forward to it next year.
This is just not true. A lot of people expected them to beat Dortmund in that group, they just aren't what they used to be, very few (if any) Dortmund-players would objectively get into the current Spurs-team. Weigl the only clear exception, Reus makes Bale look like the fittest player on earth.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you're going to make a statement that apparently speaks for all you should probably have a better argument than that list which you've provided which are very very strange reasons to dislike Spurs (bar Alli being a diver)
I wasn't speaking for everyone. Just listing a few reasons why someone might dislike Spurs.

And Dembele being a thug is a perfectly fine reason to dislike Spurs. And there is a clear tactic by Pochettino to kick the other team off the park as the Spurs players do it in almost every game they are trying to close out.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Put the pressure on Leicester
Put the pressure on Chelsea
Put the pressure on Juventus

Congratulations for their treble! :)

Rafaeldagold

Tottenham have always been a team I didn’t mind, as opposed to Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. Maybe it’s because they were never a real threat I don’t know. And In all honesty they’ve done really well last few years punching abover their weight, and I like Poch.

But it really is grating how the media come down on United so hard for anything perceived negative and how the narrative changes once it’s Spurs/Liverpool. A 1-0 away win for United is ‘not good enough, only just won, boring’ yet for Spurs it’s ‘ masterful tactical away performance, sign of winners’

Also Alli isn’t as good as he thinks he is and the constant diving is ridiculous which Poch and the media refuse to acknowledge/brazenly ignore and make excuses for. He’s also a nasty player leaving his foot in when no need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djemba-Djemba

You can tell Spurs still aren't seen as a truly elite club yet by the reaction this morning to them losing last night.

If Utd or Chelsea or even Arsenal had gone out in the same circumstances they'd be getting absolutely battered by the media right now. But with Spurs they're still getting a fair amount of praise.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You can tell Spurs still aren't seen as a truly elite club yet by the reaction this morning to them losing last night.

If Utd or Chelsea or even Arsenal had gone out in the same circumstances they'd be getting absolutely battered by the media right now. But with Spurs they're still getting a fair amount of praise.
That's because they're aren't an elite club. I don't think any Spurs fans would think they're of the level of City or United (in terms of trophy expectations). They're about the same level as Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal right now.

As for Spurs last night, I think the real problem they had was missing Alderweireld and Rose. They really needed some experience in the backline and all they had was Vertonghen. Davies shouldn't be a starter for Spurs he's not good enough, i've been saying that for a while. It was a great campaign for Spurs though imo, beat some very good teams and pushed Juve right to the end. They only really have 2 difficult fixtures left in the Premier League so should be able to get the Top 4 and challenge for the FA Cup final.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ha ha

Lose beautifully or win ugly.

I'd take the later anyday and twice on sunday
Same here.
Winning is the main aim of pro sport, but some on here don't quite understand this.
Managers tend to get sacked due to poor results, not due to poor styles of play.

Wenger, for example, is under extreme pressure. Not because of his attacking playing style, but because AFC are losing a lot of games and tumbling down the league table.

Let us see what Jose does next week, in our CL game against Sevilla.
No doubt it will be boring match, but I'd absolutely love it if we get past them. I'll really rub it into the faces of MUFC fans who constantly berate our own team, while praising our rivals who are below us in the table.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not to mention the serial beatings at the hands of Juventus in the mid 90s.

There was also a good while around the turn of the century where Ferguson tried to adopt a more patient and pragmatic approach to game management in Europe but simply wasn't very good at it and would frequently get punished when they tried to cede initiative to the opposition.

I don't think he figured it out properly until Queiroz arrived really. The 99 CL was won in spite of this deficiency really.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote.
But in 1998, we were one of the best teams. Our problem was that Cole kept missing chances. Against Dortmund (it was a German team, though can't be sure if it was Dortmund), we absolutely dominated the game, having created an unprecedented number of chances and having laid seige to their goal for almost the entire 90 minutes of the OT fixture. We couldn't finish, though and we went out.
In the 1998 season, M.Lippi himself said that MUFC are now the best team in Europe.
In 1999, we were the best team in Europe. No question about that, having beaten the previous best team (Juventus) in an earlier round.
I would even say that the following year we were the best team in Europe, but we didn't win the CL, so can't claim this. We absolutely dominated the league, though.
I am 43 years of age, so I remember watching those games/seasons.

I don't quite understand why MUFC fans, are belittling us, while praising our rivals. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that this was a LFC or MCFC forum.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I think it’s a shame. They were the better team over the two legs bug that’s why football is entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.