g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Which are these players who were given regular mins when they were 18?

Danny Rose joined as a 18 year old and was on loan forever before making it at Spurs when he was 23-24.
Davinson Sanchez is 21
When Kane was 18, he was on loan at Championship clubs. He was regular for Spurs when he was 21.
Alli joined when he was 19 and started playing from the first game.
Winks is still not a regular, he was 20 when he made PL debut.
Kyle Walker peters is 20 and will be 21 in 10 days and till date he has made 1 PL start.

Who are these 18 years old getting regular football at Spurs?
Where did i say we had any? What I am saying is that if Sessingon joined Tottenham in the summer IMO, he would get more game time under Poch than Jose.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Where did i say we had any? What I am saying is that if Sessingon joined Tottenham in the summer IMO, he would get more game time under Poch than Jose.
Yeah but were either given a regular football at 18? I would say Sessengon if he leaves would be looking to be a rotation player at least. I honestly think he should stay at Fulham for at least another season as he seems to be thriving there.
Not sure why you made the point "were either given a regular football at 18" when discussing ManUtd vs Spurs in player development.

Not sure why you are assuming he gets more game time at Spurs as he isn't playing as LB anymore and Spurs have very good attack. They have Eriksen, Son, Alli, Kane who play almost every game.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not sure why you made the point "were either given a regular football at 18" when discussing ManUtd vs Spurs in player development.

Not sure why you are assuming he gets more game time at Spurs as he isn't playing as LB anymore and Spurs have very good attack. They have Eriksen, Son, Alli, Kane who play almost every game.
You have Martial, Sanchez and Rashford, anyway we are talking hypotheticals and opinions. HE could end up at City for all we know. The 18yo comment was more talking about Jose and his preference for established players.

roonster09

Scout
You have Martial, Sanchez and Rashford, anyway we are talking hypotheticals and opinions. HE could end up at City for all we know. The 18yo comment was more talking about Jose and his preference for established players.
Wasn't there a stat that ManUtd gave more mins to U20 players than any team in top 6?

Anyways it will be interesting which team will make a big money move for him and what career decision he will make.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wasn't there a stat that ManUtd gave more mins to U20 players than any team in top 6?

Anyways it will be interesting which team will make a big money move for him and what career decision he will make.
Will indeed, I think if Fulham get promoted he should definitely stay put.

James Peril

I’m impressed by their ability to stay calm when under, albeit against a very poor Chelsea on the day. Caballero gaffed on the first goal, and what happened between Caballero/Christensen looked very amateurish. You only play what’s in front of you, Chelsea were also very poor when we beat them at Old Trafford a few weeks ago - they are the fifth best team in the league and have thr 6th best home record.

Saying that, it is a big problem that referees aren’t seeing nasty tackles. With VAR, Lamela and Vertonghen would have been sent off yesterday, I think it happened at 1-1 and 1-2 respectively. Lamela follows through, it’s a red card - Vertonghen just goes in with too much force and could have broken Hazard’s leg - very nasty, from a player I like a lot.

At 1-1 with one more player on the pitch, Chelsea won’t lose that game. A huge, huge and important game decided by the inability from the referee(s) to see clear and obvious offences.

Retrospectively, will anything happen to either player? Pathetically, none of them even got yellow cards - Hazard wasn’t even given a free-kick!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's weird, they conceded 2 goals in 5 mins at home against Juve but proceed to dominate Chelsea at the Bridge.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's weird, they conceded 2 goals in 5 mins at home against Juve but proceed to dominate Chelsea at the Bridge.
It's not weird. Juventus are a top 4 team in Europe. Chelsea are top 10 at best (probably more like top 15).

Add to that Spurs are still a relatively inexperienced club in Europe and that showed in their Juventus leg as despite playing their natural game and outplaying Juve in chunks of the game they still allowed Juve a sniff at their goal and Juve were clinical while Spurs were not.

They've had a very good 2018 and look a better side than last year imo. The result yesterday was important for them as well, it's only us and Chelsea left in the FA Cup and they've beaten both of us fairly comfortably recently.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
In the end it will depend on the player and what he hopes to achieve. If he wants to learn his trade in a relatively less pressure environment, then he could choose Spurs over others.
Yup, it does indeed depend on the player and would probably come down to the vision the club/manager sells to him for his development coupled with wages etc.

I think there are more arguments than 'less pressure' or whatever to choose Spurs over other clubs, although there obviously are arguments for United as well such as aging fullbacks, historic club and lots of cash.

NK86

Well you could look at it like that :lol: or you could say we are better at developing younger talent.
As opposed to United who are poor at it? United have better pedigree at nurturing young talent than Spurs. The less pressure environment is really your biggest trump card as it will allow him regular game time without worrying far too much about being dropped after poor performances. At United he won't have that luxury because of the enormous pressure to win.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
As opposed to United who are poor at it? United have better pedigree at nurturing young talent than Spurs. The less pressure environment is really your biggest trump card as it will allow him regular game time without worrying far too much about being dropped after poor performances. At United he won't have that luxury because of the enormous pressure to win.
I didn't mean that United were poor at it, it was a reply to Spurs are only good at giving talent a chance because there isn't the same pressure with us. Oh and I do agree that the pressure at United is much greater, I have no problem saying that. I'd also say yes United do have a history of it but do you really think Jose is as onboard with it as you would like?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Spurs did not dominate Chelsea. Chelsea were by far the better team in the 1st half, but that goal from Eriksen (which really should have been saved, I don't know why Cabalerro was on his knees) changed the game. Spurs were by far the better team in the 2nd half.

Both teams had one good half, but Spurs were better at capitalizing on it. Although, both of Spurs' goals in the 2nd half came from schoolboy defending from Chelsea. But, they took advantage of those mistakes so credit to them.

Redderp

Spurs did not dominate Chelsea. Chelsea were by far the better team in the 1st half, but that goal from Eriksen (which really should have been saved, I don't know why Cabalerro was on his knees) changed the game. Spurs were by far the better team in the 2nd half.

Both teams had one good half, but Spurs were better at capitalizing on it. Although, both of Spurs' goals in the 2nd half came from schoolboy defending from Chelsea. But, they took advantage of those mistakes so credit to them.
I disagree. Thought the first half was closer to 50/50 and then Spurs dominated the second half. Also that shot from Eriksen was much harder to save in real time than when you watch it in slow motion. It’s struck really hard, swirls and with an insane dip and goes in via the crossbar. Chelseas goal was a much bigger drop, something Lloris seems to do a lot in big games. He completely mistimes a normal cross and flaps in the air. He is a bottler in big games.

It’s also a bit disingenuous to call the Dele Alli goals for mistakes from Chelsea. Alli makes a good run, Dier finds him with a long ball and a great first touch and finish from Alli. That’s just good play from Spurs. If that’s a mistake from the Chelsea defence then you can call every goal for a mistake. The third goal is also created by Eriksen with a perfect pass to Son who gets through, Caballero saves it and it eventually falls to Alli who slots it home. The Chelsea defense is all over the place trying to clear it and it’s a bit random that it falls to Alli.

A mistake would be something like Chelsea first goal or if a defender had cleared it to Alli on the third goal.

You definitely have an agenda if you call the Spurs goals for “taking advantage of mistakes”. If anything it was Chelsea who took advantage of Lloris mistake.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Big fan of what Pochettino's done at Spurs. He promotes youth and plays attractive football. He's also shown a knack for freezing out wage prima donnas while still getting results.

He and Spurs need trophies though.

Wotspur

Chelsea should do them at Stamford Bridge, when was the last time Spurs actually got a win at The Bridge?
Thankfully you were so wrong.......
About 6/7 seasons back Sandro scored a screamer, but they equalised with a goal where the ball had gone over the dead ball line, and a goal so far offside it was embarringly funny......we’ve had some bad decisions at SB , but Not quiet on the scale of OT ( Mendez goal, Gomez Pen, when he clearly got the ball, Nani scoring a goal, when Gomez should have been taking a free kick, and right the way back to the 80’s when close to HT , Justin Edinburgh I think , got sent off, for a foul a yard outside the box and a pen given )

Duncspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Except I've read on here that Real Madrid isn't interested in Pochettino yet as he hasn't won a trophy. So, if he wins one he's off and so it's not good for Spurs?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Except I've read on here that Real Madrid isn't interested in Pochettino yet as he hasn't won a trophy. So, if he wins one he's off and so it's not good for Spurs?
? I think you'd find that most here rate Pochettino. You could still rate him and yet acknowledge the fact that he needs to win a trophy with the squad he has developed.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Tottenham announce record revenue of £306.3m for year ending June 30, 2017, an increase of nearly £100m on previous 12 months. Source is Sky Sports News Twitter.

We usually try to keep wage bills at 50% of turnover. This would mean that we will have £50m more to spend on wages next season. Hopefully, new contract for Poch, Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Son, Dembele, (maybe) Alderweireld, and others will be singed soon.

caid

I didn't mean that United were poor at it, it was a reply to Spurs are only good at giving talent a chance because there isn't the same pressure with us. Oh and I do agree that the pressure at United is much greater, I have no problem saying that. I'd also say yes United do have a history of it but do you really think Jose is as onboard with it as you would like?
Its hard to criticise him on that front actually. Shaw for example is more an issue with a certain personality which he could do better with, I dont think its an issue of youth.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham announce record revenue of £306.3m for year ending June 30, 2017, an increase of nearly £100m on previous 12 months
Those numbers are from last season (2016-2017) where Spurs played in a reduced capacity WHL. The ones from this year in Wembley are likely substantially higher. Spurs have finally started to leverage being in London and printing money like the other 2 big clubs in the city.

Next season Spurs will be the only team in all of London able to sell corporate boxes / hospitality for Champions League. That's the absolute dream scenario for Levy, to say the least.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I disagree. Thought the first half was closer to 50/50 and then Spurs dominated the second half. Also that shot from Eriksen was much harder to save in real time than when you watch it in slow motion. It’s struck really hard, swirls and with an insane dip and goes in via the crossbar. Chelseas goal was a much bigger drop, something Lloris seems to do a lot in big games. He completely mistimes a normal cross and flaps in the air. He is a bottler in big games.

It’s also a bit disingenuous to call the Dele Alli goals for mistakes from Chelsea. Alli makes a good run, Dier finds him with a long ball and a great first touch and finish from Alli. That’s just good play from Spurs. If that’s a mistake from the Chelsea defence then you can call every goal for a mistake. The third goal is also created by Eriksen with a perfect pass to Son who gets through, Caballero saves it and it eventually falls to Alli who slots it home. The Chelsea defense is all over the place trying to clear it and it’s a bit random that it falls to Alli.

A mistake would be something like Chelsea first goal or if a defender had cleared it to Alli on the third goal.

You definitely have an agenda if you call the Spurs goals for “taking advantage of mistakes”. If anything it was Chelsea who took advantage of Lloris mistake.
Dele Alli's first goal was a punt up top that due to schoolboy defending left Alli completely free in the box. Yes it was a good touch by Alli, that doesn't change that Christensen was completely brainless and ran away from Alli and left him under no pressure whatsoever. It's not as if there were other players to worry about; it was a 2v1 and Chelsea failed to deal with something they should have.

Alli's second goal was also schoolboy defending, with the Chelsea players fighting against each other to clear the ball, they had multiple chances to get it out of danger.

Chelsea took advantage of Lloris mistake but obviously I wouldn't give credit to them because they were completely atrocious in the 2nd half. Spurs were more clinical and had the better chances overall so they deserved to win, but 3 of the goals were easily preventable and a top goalkeeper would have probably saved Eriksen's shot as well.

Arcspace

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Dele Alli's first goal was a punt up top that due to schoolboy defending left Alli completely free in the box. Yes it was a good touch by Alli, that doesn't change that Christensen was completely brainless and ran away from Alli and left him under no pressure whatsoever. It's not as if there were other players to worry about; it was a 2v1 and Chelsea failed to deal with something they should have.

Alli's second goal was also schoolboy defending, with the Chelsea players fighting against each other to clear the ball, they had multiple chances to get it out of danger.

Chelsea took advantage of Lloris mistake but obviously I wouldn't give credit to them because they were completely atrocious in the 2nd half. Spurs were more clinical and had the better chances overall so they deserved to win, but 3 of the goals were easily preventable and a top goalkeeper would have probably saved Eriksen's shot as well.
Sorry but I disagree with large parts of that.

Dele's first goal was not from a 'punt up the field'. It was clearly a deliberate pass, and a world class one from Dier at that. The control and finish from Dele were also top drawer.

The second goal, yes awful defending, but spurs ripped them apart with good football build up play to create that chance.

As for Eriksens goal, it was a stunning finish which only a few keepers on this planet would've got near.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sorry but I disagree with large parts of that.

Dele's first goal was not from a 'punt up the field'. It was clearly a deliberate pass, and a world class one from Dier at that. The control and finish from Dele were also top drawer.

The second goal, yes awful defending, but spurs ripped them apart with good football build up play to create that chance.

As for Eriksens goal, it was a stunning finish which only a few keepers on this planet would've got near.
Hmm, I'm not so sure with your characterisation either.

I'd agree it was a deliberate pass, but it was just a long ball down the middle of the pitch for Alli to run onto. You see that goal on a Saturday down the park, there's no way a CB should be able to play a ball over the top to create a 1v1 against your keeper in the box. The only thing world class was the touch, that was different gravy.

For the second goal it was a good first time ball round the corner for Son to run on to, but it was just a defender the wrong side of his man, which still should have been dealt with if you've got a back 3.

I'm still not sure about Eriksens goal. It was slap bang in the middle of the goal. Maybe it dipped so quickly it took him by surprise, but don't most keepers see it out over the bar? Anyway, great technique, questionable keeping.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I thought Spurs dominated the second half. 1st half Chelsea edged it but it was by no means a half with Chelsea having everything their own way. I felt in the first half Spurs really missed Kane, no one could hold the ball up, it just wasnt sticking up top. So Spurs were reduced to trying intricate one touch passing, which rarely pays off when the area in front of goal is so packed with defenders. Or 30 yard shots from Eriksen and Trippier, Eriksen testing the goalkeeper with a sighter before firing in that screamer.

I thought they might have been better off with Llorente up top and whipping crosses in from wider angles to try and find him. But it's a trade off I guess, his hold up play is better than Son/Lamela but he certainly cannot press the ball like they do.

roonster09

Scout

Trying your best to downplay Spurs and Poch.

How is first goal hopeful punt when Dier spotted the run and played the pass? Hopeful punts is something ManUtd play to Lukaku and expect him to hold the ball.

Even to make defenders commit mistakes you have to attack them, you need coach who isn't afraid to set up the team to attack against anyone and Spurs have one in poch.

roonster09

Scout

Apparently no Toby again. Will be very surprised if he stays after this season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yup, me too :(
I've heard conflicting reports on the issue regarding his contract - Levy refusing to grant him a release clause, the basic salary on offer is not high enough, or he simply wishes to leave the club for a new challenge - but nothing concrete.

Which one is it?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I've heard conflicting reports on the issue regarding his contract - Levy refusing to grant him a release clause, the basic salary on offer is not high enough, or he simply wishes to leave the club for a new challenge - but nothing concrete.

Which one is it?
I can only speculate. The latest I've heard is that he was offered 130k, but wants 180k. Seems like he wants a contract that's a big as possible, which is likely to be his last big one. Perhaps other Spurs posters have more insight.

It will be a big summer/next season for Spurs, plenty of players we need to get to sign new contracts.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Which one is it?
He probably has one last big move in his career and he wants to go - he wants £180k per week also.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't quite get why a difficult contract situation results in Alderweireld not playing. He is likely their best CB at the moment. Whether he extends his contract or not, shouldn't he always play when fit?

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham

Haha. What a joke post. Ali's goal was world class. We'd never hear the end of it if that was Matic pass to Pogba goal. It was a deliberate pass, one which Spurs always attempt and Alli specialises in scoring. It was a world class goal, for Alli to pick the Ball out in mid air and find the only possible space to score in off the post in one movement without breaking stride is a goal of the highest quality. Stop being so silly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Which one is it?
A bit of everything I suspect, I knew it was coming with him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I don't quite get why a difficult contract situation results in Alderweireld not playing. He is likely their best CB at the moment. Whether he extends his contract or not, shouldn't he always play when fit?
That is how Pochettino operates, if you are not in his plans moving forward he would rather give time to players who are. Walker wasnt playing much before he left, there was quite a bit of fuss in the press over it as I recall.

Alderweireld and Rose are as good as gone id say, both are fit, both are not playing. Spurs will need to invest in a LB to play in rotation with Davies and a CB to play in rotation with Vertonghen/Sanchez or as part of a back three. What would be the going rate for someone like Alderweireld in the current market? 50mil? Rose about 40mil? Would be a decent amount for Pochettino to wade into the xfer market with. They both would probably be an upgrade on what we have, sign em up ;)

They surely cannot go into next season with that young kid Foyth as their main backup to Vertonghen and Sanchez? I guess they have Dier who can slot in there as well, but seems a little thin at the back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.