The Summer 2019 Rebuild

yo@Kirk

Any summer 2019 transfer plan that has Sanchez walking away from his current contract on a free transfer or any team anywhere buying Sanchez's current contract is not credible. It will take at least a 30m euro payoff for Sanchez to accept a move to a new club and sign a new contract that reflects his current form. Whatever that payoff amount is, it has to be added to transfer costs, not subtracted. Thank you Ed Woodward for totally screwing up Manchester United's salary structure because you were afraid Pep would sign a past it Sanchez.

StrettyEnder07

I hope not, but it's possible they will look at what Ole has done with this squad and conclude we don't need much investment to get top four and we might have a chance at winning the league.

I predict it will be a net spend of £125MIL.
Quite possible mate, we have a lot of good kids coming through so maybe they think major surgery not needed, to be honest as long as we get four new first teamers in the summer and clear out a few im happy, we are crying out for a CB RB CM RW, you would hope they will sort those positions but as you say, I won't be holding my breath haha

In theory we should still have funds left over from last summer, didn't spend in January, don't think we have spent the Fellani/Memphis/Schneiderlin money plus our budget plus whatever we sell this summer (50/60m worth maybe).

Fosu-Mens

I'd be happy with

OUT: Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Pereira, Sanchez.

IN: Wan-Bissaka, Koulibaly, Sancho, Neves/Ndombele, Brooks. Maybe a top striker but I doubt it.
AWB - £40m+
Koulibaly - £70m+
Sancho - £100m+
Neves/nDombele - £50m+
Brooks - £40m+
Total: £300m+.
The outgoing players would give us £30m at most.

While we have the revenue and cash to spend this amount over a single window, it is highly unlikely and would limit the amount we will/can spend the next two seasons.

deadrevelz

If we got Sancho, De Light, Neves/Rice and a CM I can do without a RB. Dalot + Sancho wouldn't be any worse defensively than what we have now and it would be carnage going forward.

StrettyEnder07

AWB - £40m+
Koulibaly - £70m+
Sancho - £100m+
Neves/nDombele - £50m+
Brooks - £40m+

While we have the revenue and cash to spend this amount over a single window, it is highly unlikely and would limit the amount we will/can spend the next two seasons.
Darmian 10m
Jones or Smalling 20m
Fellani 15m? between 10-15m anyway
Rojo 10m

That's at least 50m

If we somehow get rid of Sanchez, not sure whether that will be paying him off (but may as well keep him if they are going to do that) or if we come to an arrangement with him or a club, add that onto it.

Surely we have funds left over from last summer and the fact that we did not spend in January, net spend of 40m in two windows, add that to the budget for this summer, surely going out and spending a bit this summer is not out of the question, if it is, then fecking serious questions need to be asked about where the hell all this money is going, as it's not on players, not on redeveloping the stadium, must be sat in the bank?

Wan Bissaka 40m
Neves 50m
Sancho 80-100m
Koulibaly 90m

280/300m, budget of what about 200m for the summer, plus 50m at least in sales, plus money left over (which there should be) from the last two transfer windows, easily doable.

Not saying we will spend that, as Glazer's etc. are tight as a ducks backside but it is certainly not a case of not having the funds.

They should be looking at this window thinking right, if we get four signings right with the kids we have as well, we should not have to dive into the market like that again for a while, big one this summer, sort out a lot of the sh*t (similar to Pep at City in his first big summer) and then just add to it each year, like Fergie use to with one world class signing a summer.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I wrote my hopes for this after the Tottenham game:

--------------------------------------------------

GK David de Gea
GK Lee Grant
GK Sergio Romero

DF Victor Lindelöf
DF Eric Bailly
DF Phil Jones
DF Chris Smalling
DF Ashley Young
DF Diogo Dalot
DF Luke Shaw
DF Matthijs de Ligt
DF Axel Tuanzebe

MF Andreas Pereira
MF Fred
MF Paul Pogba (Captain)
MF Ander Herrera (Vice Captain)
MF Nemanja Matić
MF Scott McTominay
MF Angel Gomes
MF James Garner

FW Jesse Lingard
FW Romelu Lukaku
FW Marcus Rashford
FW Anthony Martial
FW Tahith Chong
FW Mason Greenwood

Outs

FW Alexis Sánchez
FW Juan Mata
DF Marcos Rojo
DF Antonio Valencia
MF Marouane Fellaini
DF Matteo Darmian

Loans

GK Joel Castro Pereira

------------------------------------------------

Manager: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

de Gea

Dalot
de Ligt
Lindelof
Shaw

Herrera
Matic
Pogba

Rashford
Lukaku
Martial

-------------------------------------------------

Go young.

Sir Scott McToMinay

People who think we’re going to invest 200m are getting carried away far too much.
We’re not buying Never or De Ligt.
Our transfer dealings will be far more modest than that.
Maybe one very expensive signing, but now way we are buying 4 50m players.

SiRed

''Manchester United can do things in the transfer market other clubs can only dream of''

Chop chop then Ed.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bosman signing...Dani Alves (perfect bridge-player for Dalot, and can also deputize in midfield if need be).
  • Matthijs de Ligt: limitless potential considering he's already one of the 15-ish best centerbacks in football at 19, break the bank.
  • Kai Havertz: can play as the attacking midfielder, 8 with an offensively oriented player in Brandt, out wide on occasion — has registered 19 goals + assists this season at age 19 and fundamentally very complete. Has the skill set to develop into a Schweinsteiger/Ballack-esque midfield titan...entice Völler with an offer he can't refuse.
  • Luka Jović: Bundesliga top scorer and Europa League 2nd highest scorer at 21...and could be an absolute machine in the years to come given his exceptional conversion rate (second to only Mbappé over this season):
A manager like Solskjær who famously coexisted with Cole, Yorke and Sheringham will surely appreciate a good complement of forwards to lay siege to the opposition defense.

Leave Sancho for 2020 as a Galáctico signing (the trio of de Ligt + Havertz + Jović alone will cost €200-250 million). He should stay at Dortmund, IMO — will cost Dembélé/Coutinho level money either way, but even though he's the real deal and a prodigious creator...another year with Reus ahead of the 2020 EUROs will do wonders for his development considering this is his first season of first team football. Think him and Rodri in 2020 (snatching the latter from Atlético will be hard but we can at least activate his clause) will complete the team and give us an excellent platform for the 2020s decade with an abundance of fantastic talents to consistently challenge for the league and reach the Champions League semi-finals (which is the true barometer of success for contemporary elites when you look at the quartet of Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern and Juventus).

Rashford/Jović
Martial Pogba Havertz Sancho
Rodri
Shaw--De Ligt--Lindelöf--Dalot
De Gea​

Valencia Shin Crosses

Think this summer will really be telling for what the Glazers and Woodward are willing to do in the market to compete. We will have a solid base in our squad already, the right manager who's looking to play the right style, and clear positions of need that need to be upgraded. I'm of the opinion that we are about to shell out the money for the right players, but many others aren't convinced. We'll see.

Alabaster Codify7

We need one but we have to be realistic.

Personally, I think this summer (gun to head), will be:

OUT - Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Pereira.
IN - A CB (a top one), a RB (a more experienced one) and a RW.

The following summer, we'll sign a Matic replacement, a LB and a striker.

Valencia Shin Crosses

We need one but we have to be realistic.

Personally, I think this summer (gun to head), will be:

OUT - Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Pereira.
IN - A CB (a top one), a RB (a more experienced one) and a RW.

The following summer, we'll sign a Matic replacement, a LB and a striker.
Think we really need a midfielder more than a left back. And if we do sign an RB he's gotta be very good going forward.

Fosu-Mens

Darmian 10m
Jones or Smalling 20m
Fellani 15m? between 10-15m anyway
Rojo 10m

That's at least 50m

If we somehow get rid of Sanchez, not sure whether that will be paying him off (but may as well keep him if they are going to do that) or if we come to an arrangement with him or a club, add that onto it.

Surely we have funds left over from last summer and the fact that we did not spend in January, net spend of 40m in two windows, add that to the budget for this summer, surely going out and spending a bit this summer is not out of the question, if it is, then fecking serious questions need to be asked about where the hell all this money is going, as it's not on players, not on redeveloping the stadium, must be sat in the bank?

Wan Bissaka 40m
Neves 50m
Sancho 80-100m
Koulibaly 90m

280/300m, budget of what about 200m for the summer, plus 50m at least in sales, plus money left over (which there should be) from the last two transfer windows, easily doable.

Not saying we will spend that, as Glazer's etc. are tight as a ducks backside but it is certainly not a case of not having the funds.

They should be looking at this window thinking right, if we get four signings right with the kids we have as well, we should not have to dive into the market like that again for a while, big one this summer, sort out a lot of the sh*t (similar to Pep at City in his first big summer) and then just add to it each year, like Fergie use to with one world class signing a summer.
We could spend that amount in the summer, but that would limit the amount we can spend the following seasons. I think there was a thread some months ago that explained the accounting for how much a club can spend over a certain period of time.

I think we should be very happy if we are able to get anywhere close to £50m for the players you mention.

Sanche7

Don't get the love for Bissaka. He's a good player with what half a good season at RB? Also he's very meh going forward although very good defensively. We already have a defensive full back in Shaw, we need an attacking FB, preferably someone oldish so that Dalot can be integrated slowly into the squad. Bissaka is neither. Not to mention, he's going to be costly.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Best we can hope with Sanchez, is that someone buys him for like 15£ and we pay 30% of the wages in the new club.

He's not getting younger and he can sit on the bench for many years and cash in. But no other club would never agree on those numbers for salary. That's why we pay 30% it's still less than paying 100% Also these kinda wages must never happen again. It will ruin the wardrobe.

Imagine sitting there earning 10% of what Sanchez earns and do a better job. That's a good recipient to mess up the mood in the squad. Also were will the wages stop? Shall it get to a point we're all income goes for wages only.

FFK Norway

Supports
Also i'd go for Solskjær.

And this is not fixed in 1 transfer window. It will take at least two summer windows and one winter.

Just look at Pep in Manchester City it took him around that time before his machine became what it is.

Same with Klopp in pool. It took some windows as he had less money.

I just wonder how City have managed the financial fair play thingy when Chelsea did not and City have spent more than any other team in the premier league.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Its pretty obvious that Ole is going to be our manager next season so that is solved.

Talking about our current squad I think we lack a quality central defender and a winger. We can assume that Ole is going to continue with the 433 formation.

Watching the Ajax game today it is pretty clear that De Ligt is the most attractive alternative. Young, smart, strong and seems to be a leader with a positive attitude. He is vocal on the field and is always encouraging team mates. In a way his characteristics on the field reminds me of Rio.

I think he should be our main guy this summer. He is just that good and the profile of him would suit this club, and Ole, very well. A partnership of Lindelöf and De Ligt could flourish and have all the tools to be at the very top of Europe for many years to come.

Ole, sell him the project. Ed, pay the money. Get it done.

The right winger is another hole. Lingard is a decent player, but if we want to compete we need to add quality. Not really sure about the options. Sancho seems a bit over hyped. Im not saying we should not get him, but maybe a year more in the Bundesliga would do him good.

In the midfield we need to add a player or two. Pogba needs a backup. The guy from Sporting, Bruno Fernandes, could be worth a shout. Relativily cheap too. Im liking the info + videos Ive seen of him. I think he could play at Herreras spot too, especially against weaker opposition when we need to unlock tight defences. A versatile player with great passing and a decent shot. At the age of 25 he could be ready to take the next step and proove to all that he belongs at the very top of European football.

Another player I think we should consider is Sander Berge. A young, big and strong defensive midfielder who plays for Genk. Norwegian so Im sure he would love to play for us and Ole. He could be the understudy of the Matic role innour squad. McTominay has at all means played well during the last games we had, but in the long run I dont think Scott has enough of passing skills to be the defensive midfielder for a club like Manchester United. I hope Im wrong though.

The one year contract we gave to Young, in my mind, indicates that we are not going to get a right back. I think we are going to use Dalot full time, while Young is the back up.

All things said:

CB: Matthijs De Ligt
RW: Jadon Sancho
CM: Bruno Fernandes
DM: Sander Berge

Reactions: Sultan

Canagel

Don't get the love for Bissaka. He's a good player with what half a good season at RB? Also he's very meh going forward although very good defensively. We already have a defensive full back in Shaw, we need an attacking FB, preferably someone oldish so that Dalot can be integrated slowly into the squad. Bissaka is neither. Not to mention, he's going to be costly.
he's a special talent. at 20 years old pocketing some of the best wingers in the league with ease. his attacking is not shabby either but defenders must defend first and he's already one of the best. I don't see any problem rotating Dalot and Bissaka. or playing them together even. we should be getting a RW anyway and this will give us more combination options.

Last edited:

StrettyEnder07

We could spend that amount in the summer, but that would limit the amount we can spend the following seasons. I think there was a thread some months ago that explained the accounting for how much a club can spend over a certain period of time.

I think we should be very happy if we are able to get anywhere close to £50m for the players you mention.
If we buy right, we should not need to go mental in the next few windows, that's what I am saying we should be able to go back to the Fergie way of one major signing per summer plus any replacements or whatever, at the minute we seem to need major surgery every summer and need to throw tens of millions at it, if we nail the four missing positions, the kids coming through look good enough on paper, we should (in theory) be set, but they need to get it right, which on recent history is doubtful.

Yeah I know we can't spend 350m every summer, only City/PSG can do that but we should have enough in the bank to compete, and if we don't then serious questions need to be asked as we spent hardly anything last year, nothing in January, nothing (if I am right) the January before so over three windows we have spent a net of 40ish million, so it's not like we have been spending fortunes recently, last big window was when we bought Lukaku so we can't be skint.

Jones or Smalling will easily go for 20m plus, easy, talk today of Chillwell being valued at 75m! But we have to give our players away by all accounts haha 10m each for Darmian/Rojo easy and we have already received about 13m for Fellani, 50m no problem.

CG1010

We should go aggressively on a senior RW player who can replace Sanchez as an experienced player and also not come in the way of our other talented players.
Also need ball playing CM and perhaps a CB and we are good to go for the next season if Dalot comes through.

FFK Norway

Supports
Its pretty obvious that Ole is going to be our manager next season so that is solved.

Talking about our current squad I think we lack a quality central defender and a winger. We can assume that Ole is going to continue with the 433 formation.

Watching the Ajax game today it is pretty clear that De Ligt is the most attractive alternative. Young, smart, strong and seems to be a leader with a positive attitude. He is vocal on the field and is always encouraging team mates. In a way his characteristics on the field reminds me of Rio.

I think he should be our main guy this summer. He is just that good and the profile of him would suit this club, and Ole, very well. A partnership of Lindelöf and De Ligt could flourish and have all the tools to be at the very top of Europe for many years to come.

Ole, sell him the project. Ed, pay the money. Get it done.

The right winger is another hole. Lingard is a decent player, but if we want to compete we need to add quality. Not really sure about the options. Sancho seems a bit over hyped. Im not saying we should not get him, but maybe a year more in the Bundesliga would do him good.

In the midfield we need to add a player or two. Pogba needs a backup. The guy from Sporting, Bruno Fernandes, could be worth a shout. Relativily cheap too. Im liking the info + videos Ive seen of him. I think he could play at Herreras spot too, especially against weaker opposition when we need to unlock tight defences. A versatile player with great passing and a decent shot. At the age of 25 he could be ready to take the next step and proove to all that he belongs at the very top of European football.

Another player I think we should consider is Sander Berge. A young, big and strong defensive midfielder who plays for Genk. Norwegian so Im sure he would love to play for us and Ole. He could be the understudy of the Matic role innour squad. McTominay has at all means played well during the last games we had, but in the long run I dont think Scott has enough of passing skills to be the defensive midfielder for a club like Manchester United. I hope Im wrong though.

The one year contract we gave to Young, in my mind, indicates that we are not going to get a right back. I think we are going to use Dalot full time, while Young is the back up.

All things said:

CB: Matthijs De Ligt
RW: Jadon Sancho
CM: Bruno Fernandes
DM: Sander Berge
I totally agree with you on Sander Berge.
Yes he is from Norway, but we'll it is a reason why most top clubs in Spain has an interest for him.
He has a talent in his position that few players have in the world. Also he steps up very fast for new challenges.

I also think Manchester United should show interest for Kristoffer Ajer in Celtic. He can be picked up now and rented out for a season or two to mid and down teams in premier league. After that I believe he can be a starter in every game for United.

He really has it all. That's the new central line in Norway's national team. And we are winning games again. He has a much bigger talent than Ronny Johnsen and Henning Berg and they did well for United.

FFK Norway

Supports
Could also try to go for Ødegaard as one of the wingers. It's been in the Norwegian news past days that Ajax is going to bid Real Madrid 20£.

He has really stepped up this season in Vitesse.
Made alot of assists, goals and some nice free kick goals. He would fit well into how Ole want to play.

I would rather pay 20-30£ for Ødegaard than 90£ for Jadon Sancho.

Last edited:

ExecutionerWasp001

Considering last summer transfer , do we have any reason to believe that the owners are prepared to the several hundred million that we need to compete for the highest honors?
We would have spent more last Summer but the board had lost faith in jose by this point. This has turned out to be a good decision. I agree with your point that the Glazers will not sanction the big transfer spend we need. I think Ole will be given £100M + whatever can be raised from sales. This is on the proviso that we have CL football next season. If we are in the Europa we will probably spend a fair bit less.

Jeffthered

AWB - £40m+
Koulibaly - £70m+
Sancho - £100m+
Neves/nDombele - £50m+
Brooks - £40m+

Some sensible signings. But we need some star quality, proven. A big player at his peak, or approaching it. That changing needs to keep being pushed. SAF always did this.. every season.. well, let's try forget the final one or two maybe... :)

Fosu-Mens

If we buy right, we should not need to go mental in the next few windows, that's what I am saying we should be able to go back to the Fergie way of one major signing per summer plus any replacements or whatever, at the minute we seem to need major surgery every summer and need to throw tens of millions at it, if we nail the four missing positions, the kids coming through look good enough on paper, we should (in theory) be set, but they need to get it right, which on recent history is doubtful.

Yeah I know we can't spend 350m every summer, only City/PSG can do that but we should have enough in the bank to compete, and if we don't then serious questions need to be asked as we spent hardly anything last year, nothing in January, nothing (if I am right) the January before so over three windows we have spent a net of 40ish million, so it's not like we have been spending fortunes recently, last big window was when we bought Lukaku so we can't be skint.

Jones or Smalling will easily go for 20m plus, easy, talk today of Chillwell being valued at 75m! But we have to give our players away by all accounts haha 10m each for Darmian/Rojo easy and we have already received about 13m for Fellani, 50m no problem.
The problem with the players we are likely to sell are the wages and their performances. Rojo is on £100k a week. According to reports we accepted Evertons offer for him, but he refused their proposal. Smalling is currently on £120k a week. Jones previous contract was £60k a week, do not know the size of his current deal.
Darmian is not on a big contract, but not impressed much.

Some factors that are effecting the fee we can achieve for our players:
  • Buyers market.
  • Wages they are on.
  • Other clubs have become better at scouting players. Having played for a big club is not enough anymore to be deemed good.
  • Clubs that previously bought "deadwood" from the big clubs in PL are no longer doing this. Most clubs have become more professional in their recruitement.
And we should not try to close the gap in one window or a season. We should see this as a 3-year project, and therefore we should spend sensible and low risk over 3 seasons. Many cheap players that would improve our squad and potentially our first 11 while having money to spend on higher risk/higher reward targets like Sancho and Di Ligt.

We should go for Di Ligt this summer, and Sancho the next. Get an experienced RB and a RW in the mould of Mata but not a liability in defense, and 1/2 CMs this season. If we can fetch a decent sum for Lukaku we should add a striker as well.

Fosu-Mens

Some sensible signings. But we need some star quality, proven. A big player at his peak, or approaching it. That changing needs to keep being pushed. SAF always did this.. every season.. well, let's try forget the final one or two maybe... :)
Sancho and Di Ligt are the only ones worth spending big on among the players on that list.
I agree with your sentiment that we should also acquire some "experienced" players as well.

deadrevelz

Also i'd go for Solskjær.

And this is not fixed in 1 transfer window. It will take at least two summer windows and one winter.

Just look at Pep in Manchester City it took him around that time before his machine became what it is.

Same with Klopp in pool. It took some windows as he had less money.

I just wonder how City have managed the financial fair play thingy when Chelsea did not and City have spent more than any other team in the premier league.
Pep also walked into a club structure which had been built for his arrival. And he was influencing the direction 6 months before he left Bayern. Ole was probably sat on his sofa watching Norway's Got Talent when he learnt he was getting the United job. That being said, I'm not sure it's healthy for the club to go another 2 seasons without challenging for major honours. If Ed is smart he will be polishing the Glazers for some big funds this summer.

FFK Norway

Supports
Pep also walked into a club structure which had been built for his arrival. And he was influencing the direction 6 months before he left Bayern. Ole was probably sat on his sofa watching Norway's Got Talent when he learnt he was getting the United job. That being said, I'm not sure it's healthy for the club to go another 2 seasons without challenging for major honours. If Ed is smart he will be polishing the Glazers for some big funds this summer.
I don't think we will go two seasons without fighting for winning something. But I don't think United will win the league next year.

What I'm trying to say is I hope people will have patience for getting United back were it belongs.
Sometimes things must get worse before it gets better.

The whole transfer thingy has been done without a plan behind it for years. It followed the same as under Ferguson get a big name. But while under Ferguson it was a big name that would fit and improve the team.

It just became a big name to get something didn't matter if the player would fit in or not. So United now have a team full of many players that is passed their best. Many players it will be difficult to sell.

So that's why I think it will take at least 3 windows the kind of names people mention here will cost so much also in wages. That's why player's like Sander Berge, Ødegaard would be smarter choices cause of the wages.

Last edited: