The Summer of *Massive Change

crossy1686

career ending
That is nonsense and won't be happening has anyone even remotely credible reported this or you are clinging on to some obscure source .
Mochi, the Sevilla director of football said that Martial’s transfer fee is only €6m/€7m but his salary, £240k a week, is too much of a risk to take on.

Martial’s agent has said he won’t sign a new contract at United. Which means he’s going to either be out on loan for two years until his contract is up or he’ll stink up the place at OT.

It’s not wild to suggest we’d pay him half his contract worth this summer and boot him out to save ourselves the £24m in wages over two seasons and not have to look at his sulking face.

Last edited:

Lost bear

What about Amad, Pellistri, Van de Beek ? Then there are young centre backs (Mengi, Bernard) on loan that might be options for 5th choice centre back in a Europa League season. I suspect Ethan Laird isn't quite ready to be a right-back in the PL but he's another player that could be a back-up used in domestic Cup competitions and Europa League.

United have a huge number of players. What we have been lacking is a balanced team.

I'd be amazed if Erik Ten Hag has a good idea of which players will be able to adapt to his system. Or to what extent his system will need to be adjusted to the PL.

Out of contract players will leave and some of those desperately fed up with their lack of playing time, assuming they can find a club willing to pay an amount United are prepared to accept. The rest will give it a season to see how it goes.

I could go on and on about United's financial situation and the cost of buying players. We spent more than we should last summer and the previous summer too, given the extent to which Covid hit our revenues. We increased our wage bill by an insane amount by bringing in Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane, while selling relatively low earner Dan James.
Yes, your point about ten Hag is right- it’s going to take time for him to do all the necessary adapting and adjustment. I hope that the fan base realises this and doesn’t expect him to deliver the premiership in his first season!

Yakuza_devils

Rangnick stated that there are multiple problems and that the club needs "heart surgery" to recover. This implies that we are in dire conditions in many areas. We are in need of football structural changes at the top (scouting, fitness, medical, youth, data, phycology and whatnot), right manager (Hope ETH is the right one), new playing style (modern attacking style), new players (skills, work rate, attitude and hunger).

Never in history that a club can solve all the major problem listed above in 1 window. These are all major and difficult changes to implement. Usually, a club will have the most 1 or 2 problems but unfortunately for us we are so rotten that we need heart surgery.

Next season is going to be a bit better but sadly we will still be far away from challenging anything important.

eltigreFalcao

Its almost been ten fecking years.

Are people still buying into this narrative? The only major change will be outgoings.

I don't expect much in terms of incoming. We'd be lucky to get 3 in.

We probably will be relying on alot of promoted youth players to fill the gaps.

Journalists just talking out of their arses, so they can prepare for the doomsday articles when we inevitably dont sign a new first eleven.
Thos ten years have been under a very different set up in terms of scouting, negotiating and general football (lack of) direction. With how many things changing already, you should definitely expect something slightly different from the past 10 years

gajender

Mochi, the Sevilla director of football said that Martial’s transfer fee is only €6m/€7m but his salary, £240k a week, is too much of a risk to take on.

Martial’s agent has said he won’t sign a new contract at United. Which means he’s going to either be out on loan for two years until his contract is up or he’ll stink up the place at OT.

It’s not wild to suggest we’d pay him half his contract worth this summer and boot him out to save ourselves the £24m in wages over two seasons and not have to look at his sulking face.
So no source then got it just speculation on your part and please just go through what Monchi has said once again may be this time you won't misinterpret it so badly .

macheda14

Its almost been ten fecking years.

Are people still buying into this narrative? The only major change will be outgoings.

I don't expect much in terms of incoming. We'd be lucky to get 3 in.

We probably will be relying on alot of promoted youth players to fill the gaps.

Journalists just talking out of their arses, so they can prepare for the doomsday articles when we inevitably dont sign a new first eleven.
Again it more that beyond the playing squad there will be more change. After the Matt Judge resignation Andy Mitten and Laurie Whitwell (both well respected, reputable journalists who are also United fans and therefore don’t really benefit from doomer narratives) said based on their sources there is more structural change to be expected. I don’t think the discussion is purely based on the players.

gajender

It seems you have serious comprehension issues how on earth this report is from somebody credible and you also misinterpreted Monchi remarks as well which you have purposefully ignored .
I don't give a damn what happens to Martial but if United end up paying him to rip up his contract I would be really surprised .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of course it's massive changes. New manager, new CEO, new backroom staff, new scouting team, new way of operating transfers and whatever other background structure changes are going on, 10-15 senior squad player outgoings... it's a summer where everything is changing at once so there's bound to be some bumps in the road.

Elcabron

Four or five quality signings would be a dream to be honest. Some of the names we're being linked with now sound way better than the Cavani's/Pogba's/Lukaku's we've been linked with in the past
I agree. But to be honest even if we only got three high quality players this summer I would be pleased. Three top quality players who will suit ETHs system - that is key. I appreciate we need more but the defence would improve hugely if they had a competent midfielder in front of them along with a quality right back, someone like Reece James ideally.

I think DVB will be given a chance by ETH, rightly or wrongly, so that is one midfielder position taken up already. Hopefully both Dalot and AVB are sold and Telles as well, none of those three are up to it.

Add in a couple of youth players such as Laird and Garner for some squad depth and we are on the right track.

DevilRed

Again it more that beyond the playing squad there will be more change. After the Matt Judge resignation Andy Mitten and Laurie Whitwell (both well respected, reputable journalists who are also United fans and therefore don’t really benefit from doomer narratives) said based on their sources there is more structural change to be expected. I don’t think the discussion is purely based on the players.
Don't stop typing...im..almost...there..

RedBanker

I love you Ole
At least 8 players leave/sold and at least 5 players brought in. That's a necessary surgery.

Bulletproof91

Supports
Rangers
I don't think the Man Utd team need wholesale changes. They just need to remove the cancerous elements from the club. I'd have Ronaldo as captain next year as he has undoubtedly high standards and if even one iota of his professionalism rubs of on the other players then the may actual have a team.

giggslover

Anyone interested in Bale?? Out of contract I think and Real Madrid don't want him. Probably reason why they don't want Pogba, they probably see another 5-6 years of a sulking star...

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Anyone interested in Bale?? Out of contract I think and Real Madrid don't want him. Probably reason why they don't want Pogba, they probably see another 5-6 years of a sulking star...
Yes, another short-term, high wage, permanently injured over-the-bill player is exactly what we need. Schweinsteiger, Cavani, Sanchez worked out so well.

BaneIsPain

The hint is already in the name of new manager. erik TEN hag.

So, ten new players are confirmed.

NICanRed

Get the feeling that Oscar Wilde's observation that "I would not want to join any club that would accept me as a member" will be in the minds of a lot of players deliberating about signing for United this close season!
Actually - I think that was Groucho Marx.

Wing Attack Plan R

“Huge amount of change” is what you need to have in order to beat Sinistar. I think our summer will be have a maximum of 5 inbound players at most.
This is brilliant! Bravo. Sinistar was a bastard!

I think this summer it already is massive change with a new manager and new staff behind the scenes, new scouts, and 10 players leaving. We need 6 players in who are not kids, so we will get 2 plus one prospect. I think it’s going to be a lot less flashy than people expect. Might get 1 or 2 names we’ve heard of (De Jong, De Ligt, DaFuq) with Dutch / Ajax connections, but expect a lot of YouTube compilation videos to figure out who our new players are.

We are entering the rebuild years, the first of which could be brutal.

Last edited:

NoPace

I keep seeing Dalot included in everyone’s lists of who to keep yet to my knowledge we haven’t offered him a new contract or even talk of one and he’s out of contract in 8 weeks, lots of talk of us trying to get Mazraoui before Bayern do and Laird coming back plus Williams so I can easily see AWB going back to Palace as BBC Sport reported and Dalot leaving on a free.

I’ve read a few times that ETH has a reported 8 core players he’s happy with which I’d guess 5 of them are De Gea, Ronaldo, Fernandes, Sancho and Varane and it’s reported in multiple places ETH wants 3 or 4 key signings which would take the core to 11 or 12.

At a guess I’d say he wants a right back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right sided attacker and he’ll give VDB a final chance along with promoting Garner and Mejbri to pack out the midfield. I can see up to 13 outgoings and I think to be honest it’s needed not only from a playing perspective but also a personality perspective as there’s far too many coasters in our squad so a mental reboot to fit ETH’s desire is needed.
Wonder if the 3 includes young players like Elanga.

I'd guess Fred, media seems to think De Gea though it doesn't really make sense, and I have no real guesses for the 8th.

Woodzy

Almost every highlt saught after talent in Europe is getting linked with clubs that have more pulling power than us now. We are going to have to be really bloody clever this summer if we are going to imrpove our team by a significant level. Lets hope we can get our act together sharpish.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hard to tell whether it's a good or bad thing that our transfer business seems a bit more mysterious this summer.

DevilRed

Hard to tell whether it's a good or bad thing that our transfer business seems a bit more mysterious this summer.
Which is clearly the way well run clubs go about things.

Imagine being a buying club and telling people your actual budget!!!

Lee565

This is seriously a make or break transfer window in my opinion, if we hestitate like most summers and screw this up by not backing wholesale changes to the team and we will be drifting further away from Liverpool and man City, then struggling to get 4th spot against spurs and arsenal for another season and come next summer we may find it even harder even getting 4th spot as it will probably be the summer when Newcastle will step it up with progressing the rebuild to be serious top contenders.

Pickle85

What I'm looking forward to most are the inevitable comparisons between whoever we buy and Haaland, regardless of position. May try (and likely fail) to stay out of the transfer forum this summer.

Acquire Me

I think we need a thread with updates on everyone going out. It’s beginning to be a lot of people already. I love that we are rebuilding our club. Really exciting times ahead imo.

kelvinwong2026

Laurie Whitwell and Andy Mitten alluded to it being structural changes rather than just transfers. As it came about after discussing the resignation of Matt Judge.

We have possibly 10+ players leaving. A new manager and the first window fully under our new structure (that also looks set to be further reformed into the summer as well). It's a huge summer.
Sounds like Moyes all over again?

Pickle85

Whilst the media pretend they only paid £51m for Haaland.
I've got a mate that's city and he's already started on what an amazing deal they got and how we paid more for Pogba. Despite the situations not even being remotely comparable. It could be a long summer.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
We’ll get rid of a lot of deadwood, but I don’t think we’ll see many massive big name signings this summer. I think at first most changes taking place will be in the backroom. The club has a chance to start from scratch and start doing things properly, but it will take time to identify the right players required. I feel the signings made will be astute ones though and I also expect to see some more youth players getting involved.

macheda14

The one slightly optimistic thing about Arnold leading this clear out even though he was ‘part of the Woodward lot’ is the story that whilst Judge, Woodward and Tseayo all worked together in London, Arnold always thought it best to move to Manchester and work in Old Trafford. It’s a small and perhaps inconsequential detail, but I think it says something about the guy. It’s most likely me trying to find optimism where there is none, but it’s there to find.