The tactical stuff

dinostar77

We dont seem to have a thread on general tactical stuff. So he's my initial contribution.

Interesting video on why the box midfield is gaining popularity.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona covered in the video.

dinostar77

Another interesting video on why brighton defenders put their studs on the ball.

dinostar77

ETH and use of "Minimal Width", different to guardiola's maximum width.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
ETH and use of "Minimal Width", different to guardiola's maximum width.

It explains why Ten Hag's likes someone like Antony, who is never looking to hug the touchline.
Minimum width. As in, someone has to provide width, to create space. Same as Guardiola.
Not quite. 'Minimum width' rather refers to the minimum distance players can go into wide areas where they do create wide space but also that stay close to team mates to allow for short passing lines. Guardiola looks to use the pitch's full width to create space, which Ten Hag isn't interested in. Or so the video claims, anyway.

sherrinford

It explains why Ten Hag's likes someone like Antony, who is never looking to hug the touchline.

Not quite. 'Minimum width' rather refers to the minimum distance players can go into wide areas where they do create wide space but also that stay close to team mates to allow for short passing lines. Guardiola looks to use the pitch's full width to create space, which Ten Hag isn't interested in. Or so the video claims, anyway.
As misinterpreted by the guy who made the video, yes. Not what Ten Hag meant by minimum width though.

Pickle85

That someone has to provide width to create space.
So how does the 'minimum' feature there? I think you're oversimplifying...do you really think ETH, someone renowned for being a thoughtful, smart tactician, would bother trotting out something as basic as width=space? We were taught that at under 13 level.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That someone has to provide width to create space.
So why does he say 'create minimum width'? What's the difference with 'creating width'?

For reference, here is what Ten Hag actually said:
The relevant bit starts around 5:00. It's in Dutch, but there are English subtitles and they are accurate. But to be exact, the Dutch is 'in de breedte, in de minimale breedte, zoals wij d.at noemen', i.e, 'in the width, in the minimal width, as we call it'. Why would he specify it this way if he's just talking about creating width in the general sense?

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Tifo is an absolute rubbish source for any sort of tactical insight. They just state the obvious and often get things completely wrong. I’m surprised they get as much coverage as they do. Would be interesting to know the guys background. Guessing statistics like stat man Dave. Another who rambles absolute rubbish.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As misinterpreted by the guy who made the video, yes. Not what Ten Hag meant by minimum width though.
That argument would hold more water if "minimum width" wasn't already a term/concept associated with the famously narrower set-ups of Leipzig-style managers like Naglesmann, Hassenhuettl and Marsch (who literally had the term pinned on the Leeds' dressing room wall even as they were being criticised for their set-up being overly narrow), in exactly the sense the above video describes.

Given VDB's clearly narrower positioning in that goal, it seems unlikely that ETH accidentally used a pre-existing term incorrectly in relation to something that just so happened to be a perfect example of the correct usage.

sherrinford

So how does the 'minimum' feature there? I think you're oversimplifying...do you really think ETH, someone renowned for being a thoughtful, smart tactician, would bother trotting out something as basic as width=space? We were taught that at under 13 level.
So why does he say 'create minimum width'? What's the difference with 'creating width'?

For reference, here is what Ten Hag actually said:
The relevant bit starts around 5:00. It's in Dutch, but there are English subtitles and they are accurate. But to be exact, the Dutch is 'in de breedte, in de minimale breedte, zoals wij d.at noemen', i.e, 'in the width, in the minimal width, as we call it'. Why would he specify it this way if he's just talking about creating width in the general sense?
That argument would hold more water if "minimum width" wasn't already a term/concept associated with the famously narrower set-ups of Leipzig-style managers like Naglesmann, Hassenhuettl and Marsch (who literally had the term pinned on the Leeds' dressing room wall even as they were being criticised for their set-up being overly narrow), in exactly the sense the above video describes.

Given VDB's clearly narrower positioning in that goal, it seems unlikely that ETH accidentally used a pre-existing term incorrectly in relation to something that just so happened to be a perfect example of the correct usage.

We've seen Ten Hag's United team. We've seen Guardiola's City team. The contrast in approach just isn't there. Also, I've seen the interview before. Nothing Ten Hag says nor any of the sequences of play shown give weight to the tactical concept proposed in the Tifo video. Look at how he describes minimum width when discussing the highlight in question - Van de Beek, on the far side, 'keeping it wide', 'to lure the defender and create space to execute team play'.

Analysing the next clip, he talks again about the player on the far side keeping it wide and in doing so providing a 'threat' and 'stressing' the defenders, while three players move to the right touchline during the build-up play.

Next clip, against a set defence Ajax have one player high and wide on the left, one high and wide on the right, an attacker stretching the pitch through the middle and two players in the no.10 area. Sounds quite like a Guardiola setup, no? They score because the opposition left back is drawn out to challenge the touchline-hugging right-sided player and one of the two no.10s also moves out wide on that side and drags a centre half with him, and they exploit the space. The left-sided attacker again plays his part without being directly involved because the opposition right back is naturally concerned with him and is positioned accordingly - if the attacker wasn't there he may well have been tucked in more and been in position to challenge the goalscorer.

Finally in the last clip, play again progresses down the right side with the full back on the touchline. As Ten Hag states, the left full back is ultimately able to score with a well timed third-man run into the box because the left sided attacker peels away from the play on the far side, pulling the opposition right back with him and creating the pocket of space to attack and causing the defender to be too preoccupied with the forwards position to recognise the danger from the runner.

Evidence enough of Ten Hag's Ajax using the full width of the pitch among those highlights, and in the instances where the far-side attacker is not quite on the touchline he is in a perfectly normal position for a wide attacker (with the exception being the last clip, where Tadic seemed to recognise and look to correct the lack of width being provided which led to the goal).

The clip originally in question, for example - at that moment the game is incredibly stretched vertically and Ajax take the entire Juventus attack and midfield out the game. It is not necessary for Van de Beek to be on the touchline. Counter-attacks and other situations where the defending team are low on numbers, unorganised or otherwise compromised and vulnerable often don't require it.

Counters were mentioned in the Tifo video, discussing the merits of minimum over maximum width - why would any team feel the need to maintain full use of the width of the pitch when attacking a backline consisting of two or three players?? Against a defensive line which cannot hope to adequately cover the width of the pitch, it just is not needed. The more well-organised and set a team is in their defensive shape, the more width their opponent is likely to need in attempting to break them down. It's a basic concept that applies to every team, not a niche idea used by particular sides/ managers.

The video talks about Guardiola using maximum width, then goes on to talk about how minimum width doesn't have the same issue of players being heavily spread out and how that can negatively impact the team's ability to perform quick interchanges and counter-press - because Guardiola's sides are known for being weak in these areas!? Sides using maximum width compensate by looking to 'overload to isolate' accordingly to the numpty in the video, before going on to describe the kind of situation that Ten Hag - minimal width user - says his teams try to engineer?? The video is a disaster.

Look at Man City yesterday - Grealish's positioning for his early chance and then for his goal, Mahrez's positioning for Haaland's opener. They aren't on the touchline - they would be adhering to the principles of minimum width if you were inclined to think that video is accurate.

Guardiola's sides try to monopolise possession. They spend more time than basically any other team trying to break down an organised opponent - that is why the wide positioning of their wingers seems extreme, generally.

Ten Hag also often has his wingers stationed very wide. I find it quite baffling that someone can be of the opinion that Antony is never looking to hug the touchline as my impression is that that is exactly what he predominantly looks to do. At United, we mostly see the wide men near the touchline and the full backs in more of a tucked-in position. If the winger moves infield, usually the full back adjusts to provide the wide option, or vice versa. As I see it, we usually try to create space between the opposition full backs and centre backs with the positioning of our wingers, and then try to exploit that space with runners - the full backs, Fred and Bruno spring to mind mostly. I don't know how anyone can watch us play and arrive at the conclusion that our approach to width is in stark contrast to Guardiola and City.

Also, it makes perfect sense that managers who setup with midfield diamonds and magic rectangles and any other kind of naturally narrower formation would want to hammer home the need for width in attack.

RedStarUnited

Is there a book or video or anyting that describes Peps mental preparation. With the way his teams generally play, I feel theres a high level of mental work going on that no one ever talks about.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We've seen Ten Hag's United team. We've seen Guardiola's City team. The contrast in approach just isn't there. Also, I've seen the interview before. Nothing Ten Hag says nor any of the sequences of play shown give weight to the tactical concept proposed in the Tifo video. Look at how he describes minimum width when discussing the highlight in question - Van de Beek, on the far side, 'keeping it wide', 'to lure the defender and create space to execute team play'.

Analysing the next clip, he talks again about the player on the far side keeping it wide and in doing so providing a 'threat' and 'stressing' the defenders, while three players move to the right touchline during the build-up play.

Next clip, against a set defence Ajax have one player high and wide on the left, one high and wide on the right, an attacker stretching the pitch through the middle and two players in the no.10 area. Sounds quite like a Guardiola setup, no? They score because the opposition left back is drawn out to challenge the touchline-hugging right-sided player and one of the two no.10s also moves out wide on that side and drags a centre half with him, and they exploit the space. The left-sided attacker again plays his part without being directly involved because the opposition right back is naturally concerned with him and is positioned accordingly - if the attacker wasn't there he may well have been tucked in more and been in position to challenge the goalscorer.

Finally in the last clip, play again progresses down the right side with the full back on the touchline. As Ten Hag states, the left full back is ultimately able to score with a well timed third-man run into the box because the left sided attacker peels away from the play on the far side, pulling the opposition right back with him and creating the pocket of space to attack and causing the defender to be too preoccupied with the forwards position to recognise the danger from the runner.

Evidence enough of Ten Hag's Ajax using the full width of the pitch among those highlights, and in the instances where the far-side attacker is not quite on the touchline he is in a perfectly normal position for a wide attacker (with the exception being the last clip, where Tadic seemed to recognise and look to correct the lack of width being provided which led to the goal).

The clip originally in question, for example - at that moment the game is incredibly stretched vertically and Ajax take the entire Juventus attack and midfield out the game. It is not necessary for Van de Beek to be on the touchline. Counter-attacks and other situations where the defending team are low on numbers, unorganised or otherwise compromised and vulnerable often don't require it.

Counters were mentioned in the Tifo video, discussing the merits of minimum over maximum width - why would any team feel the need to maintain full use of the width of the pitch when attacking a backline consisting of two or three players?? Against a defensive line which cannot hope to adequately cover the width of the pitch, it just is not needed. The more well-organised and set a team is in their defensive shape, the more width their opponent is likely to need in attempting to break them down. It's a basic concept that applies to every team, not a niche idea used by particular sides/ managers.

The video talks about Guardiola using maximum width, then goes on to talk about how minimum width doesn't have the same issue of players being heavily spread out and how that can negatively impact the team's ability to perform quick interchanges and counter-press - because Guardiola's sides are known for being weak in these areas!? Sides using maximum width compensate by looking to 'overload to isolate' accordingly to the numpty in the video, before going on to describe the kind of situation that Ten Hag - minimal width user - says his teams try to engineer?? The video is a disaster.

Look at Man City yesterday - Grealish's positioning for his early chance and then for his goal, Mahrez's positioning for Haaland's opener. They aren't on the touchline - they would be adhering to the principles of minimum width if you were inclined to think that video is accurate.

Guardiola's sides try to monopolise possession. They spend more time than basically any other team trying to break down an organised opponent - that is why the wide positioning of their wingers seems extreme, generally.

Ten Hag also often has his wingers stationed very wide. I find it quite baffling that someone can be of the opinion that Antony is never looking to hug the touchline as my impression is that that is exactly what he predominantly looks to do. At United, we mostly see the wide men near the touchline and the full backs in more of a tucked-in position. If the winger moves infield, usually the full back adjusts to provide the wide option, or vice versa. As I see it, we usually try to create space between the opposition full backs and centre backs with the positioning of our wingers, and then try to exploit that space with runners - the full backs, Fred and Bruno spring to mind mostly. I don't know how anyone can watch us play and arrive at the conclusion that our approach to width is in stark contrast to Guardiola and City.

Also, it makes perfect sense that managers who setup with midfield diamonds and magic rectangles and any other kind of naturally narrower formation would want to hammer home the need for width in attack.
Good post and good points, thanks for the detailed follow up. :)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inviting pressure to generate "artificial transition" as this guy calls it? Roberto Martinez was doing that with Everton. Conte has been doing that his entire career

The build up patterns maybe are new, i'll give him that

SAF is the GOAT

Devil In The Details podcast(also on Twitter)
Talked about ETH tactics, the sort of midfielder that we would need, Antony, The glazers sale

Footy with an Edge
Tactical analysis for the games against Everton and Forest

dinostar77

Heres something both Guardiola and Arteta teams do but we dont.

Video is a good explanation of Pivots and Pinning.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hope this thread stays alive as I'd love that someone smarter than me explained what tactics are we actually trying to implement.

dinostar77

I hope this thread stays alive as I'd love that someone smarter than me explained what tactics are we actually trying to implement.
The video i posted last night explains the importance of a pivot for transitioning the ball from defence to attack. It also requires smart tactical players who can make space for one another and pin opoosition players.

We desperately need a Declan Rice or a Rodri to act as our pivot, its not casemiro's natural game. Really interesting to see Arsenal this season move the pivot i.e. Rice to a full back role when they get the ball from their keeper and move the ball forwards down the wings and then back into the centre of the pitch.

Whereas city, just go straight through the centre from start to finish, due to the quality / drilling in training of their players.

We dont see this from Utd at all, maybe we just dont have the players with the required technical ability?

It seems to me that ETH wants Arsenal/City levels of football without having the required players to do so. Too many square pegs in round holes. We lack a elite attacking right back. We lack a elite deep playmaker (the pivot), we lack a elite no9 (though remains to been seen if hojlund is that guy).

Eddy_JukeZ

The video i posted last night explains the importance of a pivot for transitioning the ball from defence to attack. It also requires smart tactical players who can make space for one another and pin opoosition players.

We desperately need a Declan Rice or a Rodri to act as our pivot, its not casemiro's natural game. Really interesting to see Arsenal this season move the pivot i.e. Rice to a full back role when they get the ball from their keeper and move the ball forwards down the wings and then back into the centre of the pitch.

Whereas city, just go straight through the centre from start to finish, due to the quality / drilling in training of their players.

We dont see this from Utd at all, maybe we just dont have the players with the required technical ability?

It seems to me that ETH wants Arsenal/City levels of football without having the required players to do so. Too many square pegs in round holes. We lack a elite attacking right back. We lack a elite deep playmaker (the pivot), we lack a elite no9 (though remains to been seen if hojlund is that guy).
Casemiro isn't great receiving the ball in deeper areas. Especially when the other team is pressing higher up the field.

I wish we had someone of De Jong's profile in that role instead of Casemiro.

There's a reason he was usually never the deepest midfielder for Real Madrid during their build-up phases too.

dinostar77

Casemiro isn't great receiving the ball in deeper areas. Especially when the other team is pressing higher up the field.

I wish we had someone of De Jong's profile in that role instead of Casemiro.

There's a reason he was usually never the deepest midfielder for Real Madrid during their build-up phases too.
Yes i agree, which is why it is so baffling that we signed Mount when we needed a technical deep playmaker who could recieve the ball.

sherrinford

Heres something both Guardiola and Arteta teams do but we dont.

Video is a good explanation of Pivots and Pinning.

Not a good explanation of pinning. You should look elsewhere for your tactical analysis as there must be plenty of folk providing content who actually know what they're talking about...