The team/Fergie bottled it after the red

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
I know this will be controversial and unpopular, but that team is capable of easily holding out against Madrid for half an hour with 10 men, with a little luck.

We got our luck (the Rafael handball) and we still made a monkeys of it because the team went too deep too early and Fergie was far too slow to react. You can only play what's on the pitch and it was Fergies/the management team's job to change something that so so clearly wasn't working, that even the ITV commentary team pointed it out.

Within 5 minutes Mourinho had made 2 changes but Fergie just let things roll for 10 minutes in a crucial period where we desperately needed some fresh impetus.

I still think this squad is capable of great things and we will see that in the next few years, but the red should not have been the be all and end all of the result tonight.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How would YOU have contained the terrific attack of Madrid for 35mins then chap?

Do tell.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Oh look another controversial thread by Sambachan.

AlwaysRedwood

I know this will be controversial and unpopular, but that team is capable of easily holding out against Madrid for half an hour with 10 men, with a little luck.

We got our luck (the Rafael handball) and we still made a monkeys of it because the team went too deep too early and Fergie was far too slow to react. You can only play what's on the pitch and it was Fergies/the management team's job to change something that so so clearly wasn't working, that even the ITV commentary team pointed it out.

Within 5 minutes Mourinho had made 2 changes but Fergie just let things roll for 10 minutes in a crucial period where we desperately needed some fresh impetus.

I still think this squad is capable of great things and we will see that in the next few years, but the red should not have been the be all and end all of the result tonight.
Here's something you'll be horribly embarrassed of when you calm down.

Name Changed

weso26
He should have changed it straight after Nani was sent off. Then, even after Madrid equalized and they were all over us, he didn't change it either.

I don't think we bottled it. I think we were brilliant. But changes should have been made earlier in my opinion.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
feck off. You like to mix it up on here which is good, but you're just looking for attention here. There was another thread like this below you could have used.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nothing to see here lads, the guy's an attention whore.

Cold_Boy

I agree with you to some extent.

Many a times we have seen teams perform even better and with more passion after going down to 10 men.

But there is no doubt at all we were on course to win before the red and the team had done very well till then. The ref really fecked it up big time.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think he said in the away goals thread that he would have brought on Rooney for Cleverley earlier.

Which would have meant a midfield of Modric, Ozil and Alonso minus the shackles of Welbeck against Carrick and well no one else. Bit stupid either way.

I think we were emotionally drained and needed to hold Madrid off for a bit and then get ourselves together, but it was a fantastic strike by Modric and that was that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some bloody irritating views on here.

How can you contain a team like Madrid for 35mins with 10men?

HOW would you have changed things? Don't just say "oh i'd have changed things"

How.

Traub

I think you're underestimating the impact of the red card. If it was a red card in normal circumstances, our players and manager would've been able to cope. However, a red under such ridiculous circumstances shook us up for a solid 10 mins.

Aporkalypse

Can't blame the players for being thrown by such a shitty decision. The team was organised superbly to deal with Madrid and having to reorganise was never going to be instant, unfortunately it came too late.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So much Fergie could have done; take of RVP (who can't play in Midfield) for Rooney (who can play in midfield) to play without a striker. Use a lot of subs immediately after the Red to slow the game down and give the players a breather.

But.

Had he done that, we could have lost 5-1 and basically the same thread would still be made.

Que Sera.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
This should hopefully be locked in due course, absolutely no need for a separate thread when the post could easily slot into one of the existing Madrid-based threads.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We all thought about it, "we can't defend for 35 minutes" but there was nothing else we could do. What could we have done? Put Rooney on for Giggs?

TheReligion

Abusive

What utter, utter bollocks

I am so proud of the team today. You have bottled it with such a shite post. Do us all a favour and log off.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Running translation: samabachan to English...

Result: Attention, attention, give me attention!!

samabachan

I agree with you to some extent.

Many a times we have seen teams perform even better and with more passion after going down to 10 men.

But there is no doubt at all we were on course to win before the red and the team had done very well till then. The ref really fecked it up big time.
The ref did, but as I said, you can only play the hand you have. We DID get jibbed, absolutely no doubt, but we played the hand we had left really really badly...

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Some bloody irritating views on here.

How can you contain a team like Madrid for 35mins with 10men?

HOW would you have changed things? Don't just say "oh i'd have changed things"

How.
Inter have contained a Barca at their peak for 70 minutes after an even more controversial red AND at the Nou Camp.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Look at the end of the day Chelsea and Inter could have got shafted just as easily, Modric scored a cracker. There really isn't any obvious change we can make, Welbeck was shunted out wide and Carrick and Cleverley couldn't protect as well as they did before. So difficult, the most we can do is make personnel changes but tactically there was little or no scope. What do we do? Sub RVP and put Rooney in a deep role to stay on Alonso? Not to mention the fact you've now got Modric out there.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
agree. with the consensus that you're an arsehole

MUFCgal

He should have changed it straight after Nani was sent off. Then, even after Madrid equalized and they were all over us, he didn't change it either.

I don't think we bottled it. I think we were brilliant. But changes should have been made earlier in my opinion.
I think SAF wanted to give us a chance to get our heads together in all fairness.

Decision completely changed, and ruined the game. We were in control at the time, and we've been done big time.

sajeev

we were slow to react after being stunned by the sheer stupidity of the red card. in hindsight or maybe ideally, we could have reorganized quicker and made the changes sooner. however i wouldn't call it bottling. it is just the reality of how we react to situations differently. i would have waited like Fergie did

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry

You are a class A jokeshop...

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Err, surely that's a warning sign that you might need to rethink?

No?

Carry on then...

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Inter have contained a Barca at their peak for 70 minutes after an even more controversial red AND at the Nou Camp.
It could have been very different, the margins are ever so fine and Europe is a cruel mistress.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

Agreed. Collapsed in the same style as vs Bayern a few years ago. We DO seem to allow far more chances than other top teams when they go down to ten and look far more uncomposed.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ah, "bottled it" the most over and wrongly used phrase on the Caf.

samabachan

We all thought about it, "we can't defend for 35 minutes" but there was nothing else we could do. What could we have done? Put Rooney on for Giggs?
It wasn't a question of 35 minutes, we didn't even make it 10 minutes hardly before Madrid were 2-1 up, despite having had barely a shot on goal in the previous 50. I could take it if it was a heroic last stand and Real took half an hour to crack us, but they were 2-1 up within 10 minutes and make no mistake, it could have been even faster.

I am fed up of saying, year after year, 'oh we got jibbed by the ref AGAIN', I'd like just once to be able to say, yeah, the ref jibbed us, but we still came through anyway.'