The Title Race 2013/14

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Put your Rawk glasses on cnuts this is how our season is panning out....

We're like the stoic hero who's just fallen off the cliff face, but managed to hang on by their half falling off finger nail. Drastically scampering away to grab onto anything in sight. Slowly but surely we're clawing our way back up the mountain back to the top where we belong... And Rodgers knows we're coming so he's shit scared and Wenger likes little boys and Wilshere will break his ankle/leg again and they'll be out, and Mourinho's lost it etc...

Rawk glasses off...

Eirik Raude

Third time Liverpool has been top of the PL table at Christmas. The last two times was 96 and 08. Winner both times: Manchester United. Merry Christmas everybody :)

rio's upper lip

Third time Liverpool has been top of the PL table at Christmas. The last two times was 96 and 08. Winner both times: Manchester United. Merry Christmas everybody :)
It was around this time five years ago Rafa the gaffa had his epic meltdown in a press conference. Can we expect Brenton to deliver this time around?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Rodgers has distanced Liverpool from a title challenge though, hasn't he? Which is the correct way to go about it, no point putting pressure on the players.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So as it stands we're 8 points from 1st place.

Manchester City and Liverpool play next week and will therefore be taking points off each other and the week after that, Chelsea play Liverpool.

IF (and that's a big if) we can win our next two games against Hull and Norwich, we can potentially be only 6 or so points behind the leaders, which with all things considering, is pretty good going.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The fact is there's no pressure on us now, in terms of the title race. I'm happy to see us maintain some form under the radar.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Apparently Sky sports news are showing the live presentation of the top of the league halfway through the season trophy to Liverpool on Christmas Day/

Salfordlad70

Manchester City and Liverpool play next week and will therefore be taking points off each other and the week after that, Chelsea play Liverpool.

IF (and that's a big if) we can win our next two games against Hull and Norwich, we can potentially be only 6 or so points behind the leaders, which with all things considering, is pretty good going.
It is and as KC said, there is no pressure and we can quietly go about our business and hopefully get some results.Teams are having a go because we've been against the ropes a bit but we're on the up, and so let them underestimate the champions! I am relishing our return, I have some words to ram down the throats of the gloaters.I am also enjoying this season despite some of the results.It's good for us to be facing this challenge, and it will be fecking brilliant to see us pull ourselves back up and beyond.We'll soon see who is up for it and who isn't.Fans and players alike.Two young lads at work can't get rid of their season tickets quick enough, often losing money each week because they've had enough.Unfecking believeable!!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I still reckon we should worry about getting top 4, there's no way we're catching ALL of them. We could probably overtake one of the current top 4, two at a push, but we're not finishing ahead of all of them. If I had to put my money on one team now it'd be City, away from home they've been dreadful but they'll likely win all their home games which alone will give them a lot of cushion.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
I still reckon we should worry about getting top 4, there's no way we're catching ALL of them. We could probably overtake one of the current top 4, two at a push, but we're not finishing ahead of all of them. If I had to put my money on one team now it'd be City, away from home they've been dreadful but they'll likely win all their home games which alone will give them a lot of cushion.
Agreed, no chance in hell we'll catch all of them. United won't win the league this season. City will.

1. City
2. Chelsea
3. United
4. Arsenal

Sarni

Agreed, no chance in hell we'll catch all of them. United won't win the league this season. City will.

1. City
2. Chelsea
3. United
4. Arsenal
That's doable if we can maintain some consistenct through the next month. We're entering a crucial period, any foolish points dropped between now and late January/early February and we might be out of the top 4 battle for good, a good run and we'll be in the mix.

I still expect Liverpool and Everton to drop a lot more points in the second half of the season but we're almost halfway through and both have been extremely consistent so it might not happen (likewise Arsenal but I reckon they are the most vulnerable mentally).

Smores

This run of easy games has as expected provided a more accurate representation of the table (assuming we win next two games). We do still need to kick on and play much better in the second half and im confident we will. I don't think we'll win but i do think we'll be 2nd/3rd

Sarni

This run of easy games has as expected provided a more accurate representation of the table (assuming we win next two games). We do still need to kick on and play much better in the second half and im confident we will. I don't think we'll win but i do think we'll be 2nd/3rd
Avoid conceding late goals against Cardiff and Everton and beat Newcastle and we'd be right there in the title battle. It's those apparently easier games that have cost us.

Salfordlad70

Yeah, we're not winning it but top four is very possible.Most non United fans and some United fans I know have us finishing in sixth or lower but we'll be fine.I do wonder if we bolstered the CM area with some real class and had players return from injury and into form, Rvp inparticular, whether a push for the top is possible, but we should set about making our immediate goal a search for consistancy and form.I think City will get their away form on track and win this league, but we'll never let go of that nagging feeling that we can turn around our fortunes.It's a United thing!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
You know, I'm not ruling us out of winning it just yet.

January will be massive for us.

If Moyes can just bring in one player to boost us in midfield and we're only 6 points behind the leaders, I will be relatively confident that we will put in a good battle for 1st place.

coolredwine

lameredboots
So if Liverpool lose their next 2 games, and we win ours, we will only be 2 points behind them.

I think I will take that!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
In terms of points off the top and that, there is nothing in the title race. A team could go from 1st to 8th in a few games and vice versa. The issue is there are a bunch of teams who all need to drop points. Usually that sort of 8 point gap is between 3 teams max, now it's 8 teams. Also, we don't have the quality a team like City does.

So, at the end of the day, going by the ladder, there is no way the title race is over, been around long enough to see how things change in the 2nd half of the season but in terms of overall quality, I can't see us winning it.

Salfordlad70

In terms of points off the top and that, there is nothing in the title race. A team could go from 1st to 8th in a few games and vice versa. The issue is there are a bunch of teams who all need to drop points. Usually that sort of 8 point gap is between 3 teams max, now it's 8 teams. Also, we don't have the quality a team like City does.

So, at the end of the day, going by the ladder, there is no way the title race is over, been around long enough to see how things change in the 2nd half of the season but in terms of overall quality, I can't see us winning it.
I'd say we do have a quality team mate but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought our squad was at City's level.That said,Aguero and Zabaletas injuries will hit them and Kompany will pull up with his groin again before long, and if we could get some players back from the treatment room and do some top business in Jan then we can certainly begin to put pressure on those above us.You're right though, there is a whole bunch of teams above in good form, but if we do hit as good run, the others are all due a bad patch so all things being even and all that we could make progress up the table! My head says no chance but my heart keeps teasing me!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I'd say we do have a quality team mate but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought our squad was at City's level.That said,Aguero and Zabaletas injuries will hit them and Kompany will pull up with his groin again before long, and if we could get some players back from the treatment room and do some top business in Jan then we can certainly begin to put pressure on those above us.You're right though, there is a whole bunch of teams above in good form, but if we do hit as good run, the others are all due a bad patch so all things being even and all that we could make progress up the table! My head says no chance but my heart keeps teasing me!
I didn't say we don't have quality, we have heaps of it. But like you said, not the same in terms of the squad as City do.

MDFC Manager

Chelsea have a better squad than Arsenal, so yeah Chelsea can't really use that excuse. They do lack a striker though, arguably the most important ingredient in a title challenge.
I'd say Arsenals striker situation isn't much better. I think if you look back at the last ten years or more, every title winning team has had at least 1 striker who is of much higher quality than Giroud. Ultimately, I feel this will not allow either of Arsenal or Chelsea to win the title.

gasmanc

Banned
Yes Arsenal should really have paid £40m and 2 pounds for Suarez.
I have to echo the thoughts in this thread that this is an excellent season in terms of title race, it's just so open and the fact you can't rule out anyone, even Everton is amazing. Been said and I agree that City will be the team to finish above if the title is to be won by anyone but them, 7 points is our distance but the goal difference makes that more like 8. Going to be extremely difficult to bridge that gap but, it's been done before, first City then us lost a similar lead in their title winning season, anything can happen.

Smores

I didn't say we don't have quality, we have heaps of it. But like you said, not the same in terms of the squad as City do.

We're only a quality midfielder away from City though surely? The rest of the squad is as good if not better than what City have.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
We're only a quality midfielder away from City though surely? The rest of the squad is as good if not better than what City have.

On paper it may have been but none of the players are playing anything near what Citys are.

City are currently better in almost every department bar defence, they annihilate United in midfield and wings, and are currently better in attack, where Uniteds are either injured or out of form or both.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What makes you think Newcastle, Everton & Liverpool will drop away so much?

Can't really see any evidence to support that at the moment, we are as you were after the weekend, the only thing being that we have put a bit of clear water between us and (:nervous:) 9th.
I think that teams with the strongest squads tend to come through the season best, and players do tire after the new year.

There are a lot of teams in form at the moment, but when that forms drops off (and it definitely will) the clubs with the biggest pool of quality players ride out those periods better than the others.

Treble

I think that teams with the strongest squads tend to come through the season best, and players do tire after the new year.

There are a lot of teams in form at the moment, but when that forms drops off (and it definitely will) the clubs with the biggest pool of quality players ride out those periods better than the others.
That's true but there are other factors to be considered as well. First, managers are utterly important: teams play, not squads. Second, some of the teams involved do not play in Europe and can concentrate all their efforts in the league. Therefore, they do not need big squads to the extent that CL teams need. They are less likely to get tired. I agree that the strength of the squads is important but there are other important factors too.

togg

The fact is there's no pressure on us now, in terms of the title race. I'm happy to see us maintain some form under the radar.
Exactly. To be honest I'm rather enjoying this season where we are not favourites. Although I hate to lose, with all the changes that have happened, it hasn't been as agonising compared to previous seasons.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
SAF picked the worst time to retire, the teams outside the traditional top few have never looked so strong

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly. To be honest I'm rather enjoying this season where we are not favourites. Although I hate to lose, with all the changes that have happened, it hasn't been as agonising compared to previous seasons.

I can imagine thats somewhat true, if we, City or Liverpool were running away with it I expect you would be more upset. Being that some less fashionable sides such as Newcastle and Everton are up there probably softens the blow.

Hellboy

Those 2 defeats will hurt even more. I think we will reflect on them as the reason we didn't win the league this year.

We could go on a good run of form, but ultimately those stupid points will cost us at the end.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd say Arsenals striker situation isn't much better. I think if you look back at the last ten years or more, every title winning team has had at least 1 striker who is of much higher quality than Giroud. Ultimately, I feel this will not allow either of Arsenal or Chelsea to win the title.
I don't buy this Chelsea excuse about strikers. They have Torres, Eto'o and Demba Ba, and let Lukaku go out on loan. Four strikers that a lot of clubs would love to have, plus an abundance of attacking midfielders that can all score goals.

Its Mourinho playing down their chances to protect himself, because he doesn't believe they will win the title. Letting Lukaku go out on loan was a massive error.

togg

I can imagine thats somewhat true, if we, City or Liverpool were running away with it I expect you would be more upset. Being that some less fashionable sides such as Newcastle and Everton are up there probably softens the blow.
Frankly I think this season is great for the Premier League, it's more competitive than ever before, more unpredictable and the so called un-fashionable teams are creating very competitive teams and signing more skillful players albeit at lower prices from foreign climbs. It's bringing an excitment, especially at the top, which has been lacking in the past.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I don't buy this Chelsea excuse about strikers. They have Torres, Eto'o and Demba Ba, and let Lukaku go out on loan. Four strikers that a lot of clubs would love to have, plus an abundance of attacking midfielders that can all score goals.

Its Mourinho playing down their chances to protect himself, because he doesn't believe they will win the title. Letting Lukaku go out on loan was a massive error.

Which one of those is top four quality?

Lukaku is the mistake, but you need to start buying it because its true. we need our version of Aguero, RVP, and Suarez.

Treble

I think that there is even more pressure on us to perform now when we are 8th than when we are the favourites. Because it's far more exciting to challenge for the title than to fight for a top 4 spot. The pressure to get into a CL position is bigger and far more unpleasant.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Which one of those is top four quality?

Lukaku is the mistake, but you need to start buying it because its true. we need our version of Aguero, RVP, and Suarez.
They are all capable of scoring goals if used correctly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Technically we're obviously still in it, but I just can't see us winning it. Even if we go on a good run, there's so many sides at the top that there's a strong chance at least one of them will also go on a good run. Besides, ignoring that, our squad is just not good enough to win the title at the moment. If we were level on points with the other sides I still wouldn't fancy us to win it, so obviously I don't think we will now and top 4 should be the priority.