The Title Race 2013/14

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Looks like the league winner will end up with a relatively small point total compared to recent years.

Very much in the league still, but not much margin for error.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
We're only a quality midfielder away from City though surely? The rest of the squad is as good if not better than what City have.
City are playing well and getting the best out of their players though, we are not. It makes a hell of a difference.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Looks like the league winner will end up with a relatively small point total compared to recent years.

Very much in the league still, but not much margin for error.
I think 80 points won't be enough and we won it with 80 in 2010-11 (second placed team had 71), this time I guess you'll need 84 at least (I think City will get around that and it's up to Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to find if they can match that). For us the maximum is 91 points so to put things into perspective we shouldn't drop more than 10 to have a shot at it (we've dropped 23 so far). To sum it up, title is well out of our reach. I reckon we'll be happy to finish on 70 points which would normally give us 4th but might not be enough this season.

Varun

Staff
I think 80 points won't be enough and we won it with 80 in 2010-11 (second placed team had 71), this time I guess you'll need 84 at least (I think City will get around that and it's up to Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal to find if they can match that). For us the maximum is 91 points so to put things into perspective we shouldn't drop more than 10 to have a shot at it (we've dropped 23 so far). To sum it up, title is well out of our reach. I reckon we'll be happy to finish on 70 points which would normally give us 4th but might not be enough this season.

Naah, dont see anyone getting 84 points this year. City are on 35, which would mean them getting 49 points in the next 21 games. Cant see it happening.

Sarni

Naah, dont see anyone getting 84 points this year. City are on 35, which would mean them getting 49 points in the next 21 games. Cant see it happening.
I think they are going to win all their home games, they already have United, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal out of the way and disposed of all of them with ease, I don't think Liverpool or Chelsea will pose much of a threat although they might drop points to either, rest of the league will get their asses spanked at Etihad. Away from home they've been dodgy but they are bound to improve, they've had some positive signs lately.

49 out of 63 for a team of their quality isn't out of question. 11 of them are home games so there's 33 points if my assumption is correct, only need 16 out of remaining 10 games to reach the target of 84 points.

Sarni

The pessimism in this thread is soul-destroying at times.

Jesus wept.
It's not pessimism really, it's reasonable to think that. We cannot get more than 91 points this season and realistically won't get more than 80 still having to travel to Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Southampton and a few others (our home form is even more suspect). 4 or 5 teams are now on course for around 80 points and at least one of them will break that barrier (I think at least two will).

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
:lol: since when you represent 'us'?

Sarni

:lol: since when you represent 'us'?
All right, United will be happy.

We're on 28 so 42 out of next 63 would be an improvement and would actually represent a good run that we could build on next season. I think we could get to 75 or even 80 at a push but setting our aims at 70 would be more adequate at the minute.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
All right, United will be happy.

We're on 28 so 42 out of next 63 would be an improvement and would actually represent a good run that we could build on next season. I think we could get to 75 or even 80 at a push but setting our aims at 70 would be more adequate at the minute.
:lol: I doubt you know what the players, staff, and most fans think. I highly doubt most of them "will be happy" aiming for 70 points. Good laugh though.

Sarni

:lol: I doubt you know what the players, staff, and most fans think. I highly doubt most of them "will be happy" aiming for 70 points. Good laugh though.
All right then, I'll be happy with a 70-75 points finish as long as that propels us into the top 4 at the end of season.

80 I'd be absolutely delighted with.

So you reckon 70 points from our current position would be unacceptable?

Varun

Staff
I think they are going to win all their home games, they already have United, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal out of the way and disposed of all of them with ease, I don't think Liverpool or Chelsea will pose much of a threat although they might drop points to either, rest of the league will get their asses spanked at Etihad. Away from home they've been dodgy but they are bound to improve, they've had some positive signs lately.

49 out of 63 for a team of their quality isn't out of question. 11 of them are home games so there's 33 points if my assumption is correct, only need 16 out of remaining 10 games to reach the target of 84 points.

No, I dont think they'l win all their home games firstly. When things get tight towards the end, even the bottom teams become very tough to play against when they play for survival.

I do think they'l win the league but it wont be with 84 points. Think whoever gets around 80 will win it this time.

Smores

People always seem to forget how unpredictable football is. Im still of the opinion whoever hits top form first will win the league. Man city and Chelsea are the only real contenders and its quite realistic they'll both continue with their current form whilst we kick on.

The fact we're not further back right now says a lot about those teams. Our issues are a lot easier to fix imo.

Sarni

No, I dont think they'l win all their home games firstly. When things get tight towards the end, even the bottom teams become very tough to play against when they play for survival.

I do think they'l win the league but it wont be with 84 points. Think whoever gets around 80 will win it this time.
I remember people said the same about us in 2010-11 (will drop points at home to lesser sides) and it never happened. We made Old Trafford a fortress after an unlucky draw against West Brom and never looked like dropping points there. I really cannot see anyone other than Chelsea and Liverpool coming away with points from Etihad.

Their away form leaves a lot to be desired though.

Sarni

People always seem to forget how unpredictable football is. Im still of the opinion whoever hits top form first will win the league. Man city and Chelsea are the only real contenders and its quite realistic they'll both continue with their current form whilst we kick on.

The fact we're not further back right now says a lot about those teams. Our issues are a lot easier to fix imo.
Arsenal have been in top form until lately and aren't even top anymore. Liverpool have been around their best too.

Varun

Staff
I remember people said the same about us in 2010-11 (will drop points at home to lesser sides) and it never happened. We made Old Trafford a fortress after an unlucky draw against West Brom and never looked like dropping points there. I really cannot see anyone other than Chelsea and Liverpool coming away with points from Etihad.

Their away form leaves a lot to be desired though.

Lets see. I'd be amazed if they won 18-19 of their home games. Though i dont see them dropping too many points at home, still dont think they can win that many. They do look ridiculously good there though.

Sarni

Lets see. I'd be amazed if they won 18-19 of their home games. Though i dont see them dropping too many points at home, still dont think they can win that many. They do look ridiculously good there though.
The best I've seen from any side in recent years, their results and style resembles the way Madrid and Barcelona steamroll or used to steamroll teams at home in La Liga. It's astonishing how a team can be that good at home and so distinctly average away from it.

Varun

Staff
The best I've seen from any side in recent years, their results and style resembles the way Madrid and Barcelona steamroll or used to steamroll teams at home in La Liga. It's astonishing how a team can be that good at home and so distinctly average away from it.

Yep, even the best of sides have just looked very mediocre there. I do think a team of that quality and style cant just continue their poor away form which is why its very tough to look beyond them for the league this season.

Sarni

Yep, even the best of sides have just looked very mediocre there. I do think a team of that quality and style cant just continue their poor away form which is why its very tough to look beyond them for the league this season.
Yeah but then you have Arsenal and Liverpool who have been very good this season and Chelsea who are within touching distance off top in spite of being pretty poor so far this season (I still don't get how that happened).

Varun

Staff
Yeah but then you have Arsenal and Liverpool who have been very good this season and Chelsea who are within touching distance off top in spite of being pretty poor so far this season (I still don't get how that happened).

The next few games are very crucial for Arsenal. They've had some tough games and it remains to be seen whether they can pick themselves up and hit top stride again. Somehow, I doubt they can go back to how good they looked early on specially with Kosc out now(how long?). Liverpool are overtly reliant on Suarez and the only way they can remain withing touching distance is if he keeps banging them in. I dont think either will be close to the team winning it in the end though specially Pool.

Chelsea need a striker to put it simply. Their midfield and defence has carried their attack weirdly enough but you just cant win the title with an attack like that. If they actually get a top striker in Jan though, they'd be right up there with City in my book.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I think we can get something at the Etihad, we know how to beat them, cntinuously hoof it over to Joe hart and get Torres to chase him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This thread will be a mad rollercoaster to say the least.

Win the next 2, with some teams above dropping points, and and it'll be, we're be back in it, lose the next 2, and we'll be talking not even qualifying for the Europa!

Enigma_87

You know who
I think we can get something at the Etihad, we know how to beat them, cntinuously hoof it over to Joe hart and get Torres to chase him.
I think Chelsea will clinch it in the end. Mainly due to Mourinho and the easier fixtures - you only travel to Etihad and to Anfield. Against Pool you folks have been pretty poor recently, but if I recall correctly Jose has pretty good record I think only one loss in the league against them.

At Etihad tho, I think you lost your last like 3-4 visits there and City are playing very good at home so I doubt you'll get something from there.

I expect Pool and Arsenal to fade away after January and it will be a two horse race between City and Chelsea.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I think Chelsea will clinch it in the end. Mainly due to Mourinho and the easier fixtures - you only travel to Etihad and to Anfield. Against Pool you folks have been pretty poor recently, but if I recall correctly Jose has pretty good record I think only one loss in the league against them.

At Etihad tho, I think you lost your last like 3-4 visits there and City are playing very good at home so I doubt you'll get something from there.

I expect Pool and Arsenal to fade away after January and it will be a two horse race between City and Chelsea.
Other than Pool tomorrow I think we have the best chance. Jose has shown how to completely nullify top attacking talent in away matches. Itll be a shitter and itll be 0-0.

Sarni

Other than Pool tomorrow I think we have the best chance. Jose has shown how to completely nullify top attacking talent in away matches. Itll be a shitter and itll be 0-0.
City are capable of breaking teams up so a 0-0 is probably a poor bet over there. It's defence they've had issues with, mainly away from home.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Tiny bit concerned now, coming back from 2-0 is the United of old and something I wasnt sure was present under Moyes this season. Still teams are still tucking into your defence easily.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Five points off top spot now. It was thirteen points at the start of the month. Standard United comeback from 2-0 today, too.

Only a fool would totally write us off. Keep the faith, lads. Our support has been terrific this season. The boys are going to need it to push them over the line. We're on the cusp of something magical here.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It's a nice wee run and we need to keep this going. 3 points today means nothing without another three against Norwich. Keep this run going until we play Spurs and then we can talk about being back in the race with a win then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Injury-ravaged defence. Still, we looked solid apart from opening shaky ten minutes and closing five.
What is our best defence though? Any defence we put out looks pretty shaky. We need Vidic back to his best in there IMO but he's getting old now, and I'm not sure if Evans has it in him to take over as the main, experienced head at the back, and titles are built on a good solid defence, which we don't have at all.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Depends on our January signings for me. If we don't buy anyone we aren't ever winning it IMO.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The goals we conceded today was unlucky tbh. Scoring from a corner that wasn't and Rafael got injured for the 2nd before the OG.

Five points off top spot now. It was thirteen points at the start of the month. Standard United comeback from 2-0 today, too.

Only a fool would totally write us off. Keep the faith, lads. Our support has been terrific this season. The boys are going to need it to push them over the line. We're on the cusp of something magical here.
Starting to feel it but crucial that we keep this momentum going. IF we are in the race for top 4 then we are in the race for the title

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is it possible? Sure. Is it in any way likely? Nope.

We're one bad result from despair and we look capable of suffering more than one bad result. 2-0 down to hull, they hit the bar, Valencia gets sent off, DDG makes a crucial save etc. We were lucky to get the win today and we'll basically need to be lucky for the rest of the season.

Oh, and if City hit top form we have exactly zero chance of matching them.

We're definitely gonna get top four though, which is something at least.