The Title Race 2013/14

Amir

It's a little more complicated when there are seven teams ahead of you. Two are 8 points ahead, City is 7 points ahead, Chelsea have a 6 point lead...

Are we out of it? No. But I can't see it at all. The fact we've actually played good football for the past two league games is highly encouraging. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

walsh

I'm not saying we're going to win it but we're certainly still in it, which is more than some were proclaiming a few weeks ago. Keep the wins coming and who knows?

gasmanc

Banned
8 points is not insurmountable. We've blown 8 point leads...
Indeed and so have they.

It's a little more complicated when there are seven teams ahead of you. Two are 8 points ahead, City is 7 points ahead, Chelsea have a 6 point lead...

Are we out of it? No. But I can't see it at all. The fact we've actually played good football for the past two league games is highly encouraging. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It's a little hard to say any of that just now seeing as the likelihood is that most of the teams in front will have a very different outlook in a weeks time, the key to the title is a simpler issue, finish in front of City and you will likely be Champions, I think that's pretty fair to say so regardless of who's in between United and City the aim will be to chase the one team.

Jaap

The games v West Brom, Southampton, Cardiff, Everton & Newcastle will be brought back at the end of the season - we took two (!) points from those fixtures (4 home games too). Crazy.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
We were complete utter shite against Everton and Newcastle. It's the late goals conceded in the Southampton and Cardiff games that annoys me immensely.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I imagine over the next few weeks that top 4 will change constantly.

I always believe the minimum points per gane a team should average is 2. We're off that at the moment but with a few top 4 v top 4 clashes coming up, its up to us to take advantage and close the gaps on those who lose/draw.

We've slipped under the radar somewhat which should hopefully benefit us.

Sure I don't expect us to win the league but the current gap from the top isn't insane and if our players can do their job it won't be long until they're back in the mix.

It's going to be great for the neutrals.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Next 3 games are really key. So tightly packed over 7days, and we can really make some headway if we play well and win them.

Bearing in mind we were 13 off top not so long ago, 8 off top and 6 off 4th seems a bargain!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
8 points off the top is a big improvement on 13 points. Only problem is that were 8 to 6 points behind so many teams. Arsenal have let us claw ground on them in recent weeks but city, Liverpool and Everton in particular just keep winning. Hopefully Liverpool don't win any of their next two and we win both.

CantonaVeron

We need to win the next four games vs Hull, Norwich, Spurs and Swansea do that and we are right back in it, each of those games we should win, Spurs the hardest of those is at home but we should if playing to potential win that. Its funny the run we have until Arsenal in Feb is one where we would be favorites on a match by match basis apart from Chelsea away and I think if Ferguson was in charge we'd go on a run but now who knows.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
8 points off the top is a big improvement on 13 points. Only problem is that were 8 to 6 points behind so many teams. Arsenal have let us claw ground on them in recent weeks but city, Liverpool and Everton in particular just keep winning. Hopefully Liverpool don't win any of their next two and we win both.

Draws against City and Chelsea are better for us, it keeps all of the teams closer. Of course, nothing matters if we don't win against Hull, Norwich and Swansea. If we win our next 4 (it's a big if, mind you), and other teams dropping points off each other, we should be right in the mix. But every time we say that, we drop points, which has been our problem.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We're asking for a lot of teams to drop points ahead of us. It's easy to hope for one team to stumble, for example in Arsenal or Liverpool, but the same has to happen for the likes of Chelsea and City too. The title, despite being far from mission impossible, would be insanely difficult for us.

Considering we were 13 points off the top not long ago and now its down to 8 - I'm thrilled. I like how we've just been ruled out of the title race now - we're just quietly chipping away while the pressure mounts for the ones above us.

Ideally, a draw between Liverpool and City and a win vs Hull - and we'll be 6 and 5 points from them respectively.

We should really win our next two games - and what's good about the Tottenham game is that it's the late kick off on the Wednesday so we'll know where we stand before the game. If upsets occur, then I'm sure Moyes will be absolutely livid if the team doesn't make ground on them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
it's insane how close 5th is to 1st, so if we're in the reckoning for top 4, we'll be in the reckoning for top!

It's a really unusual season in that you could be top one week, then 5th the next, just look at Everton. They probably haven't peaked yet with 2 winnable games up next, could see them top 2 for a limited time.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Hull and Norwich wont be easy, Norwich beat you 1-0 last season and Hull have been very good at home. Much harder than Villa and West Ham who right now are probably the two weakest sides in the league, other than Fulham.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
yep, no away game in the league is that easy. Hull beat Liverpool who have been lashing in goals against everyone.
And Norwich are one of those crappy little teams who everyone else seems to smack, but will turn up against us, especially at their own ground.

We certainly have the squad strength advantage over Norwich though, as they won't be able to put out a strongly rotated team, so will be relying on their top team for the second game in 3 days.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Hull and Norwich wont be easy, Norwich beat you 1-0 last season and Hull have been very good at home. Much harder than Villa and West Ham who right now are probably the two weakest sides in the league, other than Fulham.

You sound like you are desperate for us to drop points soon

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think other teams at the top will start to get nervous with the little run we're on. 4 comfortable wins in a row, without coming close to hitting top gear is ominous for some.

Although Chelsea haven't been too good, and they're sitting right up there!
But some teams are clearly at their max, which can only tail off.

Bestie07

I think other teams at the top will start to get nervous with the little run we're on. 4 comfortable wins in a row, without coming close to hitting top gear is ominous for some.

Although Chelsea haven't been too good, and they're sitting right up there!
But some teams are clearly at their max, which can only tail off.
It's only two wins in a row in the league, we need to do it for a bit longer before the others start to get worried about us. Have a feeling they'll be come the end of January :)

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
You sound like you are desperate for us to drop points soon

Just trying to calm some of the bullishness ;). You had made a worrying United style comeback vs stoke, slaughtered fulham for 30 minutes and then beat the leaders. At that point I was concerned, yet there wasnt a lot of bullishness, then you went on that atrocious run. Now you beat a side you havent lost away to in about a century, and a side that has to be the worst in the league right now, and suddenly its on again.

United were never completely out but still now they are not a lot more in it than they were before. an 8 point deficit over one side is another planet to an 8 point deficit on 2 sides a 7 on another and a 6 on the 4th, because its so rare that all 4 drop on one weekend, and even when they play each other its either a 2 point gain on both or stay the same on one.

Its probably as difficult right now as a 12-14 point deficit on one side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hang on hang on Rob, remember records don't mean much this year, we've already lost 30-40 year not losing records to WBA, Everton and Newcastle, so there isn't a sure thing right now!

However, that win against Arsenal was a backs against walls job, although we looked pretty comfy. The last 4 games have been signs of the old style coming back.

Am I the only one who thinks a 6-8 gap on a whole bunch of teams is easier than catching it up on one super strong team? Everyone is beating everyone at the top this year, so more points will be dropped.

I'd prefer to trail this year, than trail the Invincibles, or Mourinho's original Chelsea lot!

gasmanc

Banned
Just trying to calm some of the bullishness ;). You had made a worrying United style comeback vs stoke, slaughtered fulham for 30 minutes and then beat the leaders. At that point I was concerned, yet there wasnt a lot of bullishness, then you went on that atrocious run. Now you beat a side you havent lost away to in about a century, and a side that has to be the worst in the league right now, and suddenly its on again.

United were never completely out but still now they are not a lot more in it than they were before. an 8 point deficit over one side is another planet to an 8 point deficit on 2 sides a 7 on another and a 6 on the 4th, because its so rare that all 4 drop on one weekend, and even when they play each other its either a 2 point gain on both or stay the same on one.

Its probably as difficult right now as a 12-14 point deficit on one side.
The bullishness is because of the performances, even the defeat against Everton had a lot of positive impact on fans outlook.
United look a lot more dangerous now than Chelsea have managed to look since Benitez left, admit it Rob that little scar Fergusons left in your mentality is throbbing with a perhaps they can.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
The bullishness is because of the performances, even the defeat against Everton had a lot of positive impact on fans outlook.
United look a lot more dangerous now than Chelsea have managed to look since Benitez left, admit it Rob that little scar Fergusons left in your mentality is throbbing with a perhaps they can.

If you won the next 3 I'd start to wonder, however i'm confident you'll slip up in one of those.

Lest you forget after beating Arsenal you were actually 1 point above City, 1 behind us and 5 behind the top. I was concerned then, but it seems you have forgotten how good you are usually and feel that these 4 professional wins, are a sign of the United of old. Far from the it, the United of old had me worried after Arsenal, but we all know what happened in between.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Also Citys next 3 games are Liverpool and Palace at home and Swansea away, its just as likely that they will win those 3 as it is that you will.

gasmanc

Banned
We will have to wait and see, I am hoping for 10 from 12 in the next four games, we get that and the important thing is City will start to worry.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We must think from game to game.

But if we beat Hull and Norwich, both game will be close and tough no dobt, but if we win both games than we should only be 5 points behind the first place..........i'm sure that no team of the current top 4 will win both of their next 2 games.

13 points behind the leader two weeks ago........maybe only 5 points behind the leader in 5 days......that would be very good.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

But if we beat Hull and Norwich, both game will be close and tough no dobt, but if we win both games than we should only be 5 points behind the first place..........i'm sure that no team of the current top 4 will win both of their next 2 games.

13 points behind the leader two weeks ago........maybe only 5 points behind the leader in 5 days......that would be very good.
Game to game is the right approach. For the past two seasons we´ve finished with 89 points, losing 5 times, drawing 5 times and winning 28 times two years running. To put that into perspective we have already lost 5 and drawn 4, so to equal the 89 points of the past two title winners we´d have to drop a single point from now until the end of the season.

I would be happy if Chelsea won it in case we don't. Can't stand city, arsenal nor liverpool win it.
Horrible to be in the position where we´re discussing who we´d rather win it in December but anyone other than Liverpool and City is fine by me.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea

I think its asking a lot for City to not win their next 2 home games. Liverpool are due a loss, and City will surely hand them it, then they are sure to beat Palace after.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Whoever we beat is shit. We thrashed Leverkusen, suddenly they're shit. Villa are shit, despite the fact they've done well against big boys this season. Now West Ham as well - horrible. I call that desperation.:smirk:

Tomuś

Norwich and Hull will be as well, and so will Spuds if we manage to beat them.
Obviously. But for the time being they're decent as we haven't played them yet. Just as Aston Villa had been before we played them.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Whoever we beat is shit. We thrashed Leverkusen, suddenly they're shit. Villa are shit, despite the fact they've done well against big boys this season. Now West Ham as well - horrible. I call that desperation.:smirk:

Not true, Villa have always been shit vs you, especially at Villa park, havent they not won there vs you since the mid 90's? and West Ham are shit, you cant deny that. Noone said Leverkuson were shit did they? Or Arsenal, or Swansea who you also beat.

Tomuś

Not true, Villa have always been shit vs you, especially at Villa park, havent they not won there vs you since the mid 90's? and West Ham are shit, you cant deny that. Noone said Leverkuson were shit did they? Or Arsenal, or Swansea who you also beat.
You would be surprised, as it came from a Chelsea fan on here. Can't remember which one and I can't be arsed to go through billions of similarly bullshit posts to find it. We played Arsenal at home and we beat them for fun so it doesn't matter is what I've also read today.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah but you have to admit Villa away and West Ham at home are seriously shit, its not like when people just make excuses.

Tomuś

I'll give you West Ham. Villa are a different animal, we've already lost some records this season under Moyes, like with Everton beating us at home. On the one hand I hear 'You won't catch up as there's no Fergie anymore' then I hear excuses about the record we hold at Villa Park. Despite the fact that it's a different United to the one that have earned this record.

Gerald G

To be honest he has a bit of a point. West Ham are probably the worst away team in the league. Villa are pretty shite at home. For me the Hull + Norwich games will be bigger tests.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think its asking a lot for City to not win their next 2 home games. Liverpool are due a loss, and City will surely hand them it, then they are sure to beat Palace after.
They'll beat Crystal Palace......yes.

But Liverpool have lost against Manchester City only twice in the last 19 games, Liverpool are playing well against the big boys, Suarez is the best player in the league and Manchester City have 2 problems (Aguero is a big miss and they've no right-back, they had already enough problems against Fulham on this position).............so i think Liverpool will not lose at Etihad on Boxing Day (My opinion :) ).

Amir

Yeah but you have to admit Villa away and West Ham at home are seriously shit, its not like when people just make excuses.
They are not good. Mind you, it's not just the fact that we've won, it's also the fact we played well - which hasn't happened much in the league this season. It's a nice little step forward, though I agree people starting to make title calculations are getting ahead of themselves.