The transfer window closing early in England.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I understand the idea behind it as it allows PL to have their squads ready for the first league game but not having the same window across Europe at least, makes no sense to me. It drives up the price of players the closer we get to the window whereas the other European teams will have longer time to work some deals for interesting players in other leagues. What are your thoughts ?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is there a minimum number of years the PL have to abide by this rule or can they revert any time they want?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Stupid. I understand the thinking but why handicap your own league compared to everyone else?

Stupid idea. It would only work if the other countries did the same thing.

fps

I loved the fact the season could start and then clubs could panic buy. I can see why it's better for all concerned to have transfers finished before the season starts, but it's an awful lot less fun.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It was a stupid idea, even Woody wasn't dumb enough to vote for it.

WensleyMU

One of the stupidest things ever thought of. Sadly last seasons English dominance in Europe means they will think it was a swell idea.

Everyone involved, everyone who voted for it... all of them should be sacked for the absolute incompetence.

In fact, deduct 20 points from any club who voted for it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It makes sense if you are also banned from selling players. That’s the stupid bit about the rule as it means things like the Lukaku thing happen.

Nick7

Said it at the time, it's a good idea but only a good idea if every single other league followed suit. They didn't and it's a shambles.

One of the stupidest ideas i've ever seen in the game. Whoever thought of it should be sacked immediately. Now the window is over we have to sit and watch as clubs across Europe spend the next few weeks tapping up our players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It was shocking when they decided to close the transfer window early, it was worse when they had the chance to realign it with the rest of Europe and didn't.

meamth

One of the stupidest ideas i've ever seen in the game. Whoever thought of it should be sacked immediately. Now the window is over we have to sit and watch as clubs across Europe spend the next few weeks tapping up our players.
Clubs suggested this. They voted for this to happen.

charlenefan

Do we know who the clubs were that voted against it because the only clubs this rule benefits are the teams outside the 'top 6'

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It would only make sense if we can stop people leaving also.

Now Madrid could launch a full scale assault on Pogba, he could refuse to play and we'd have no choice to sell.

Where the feck would that leave us then?

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
if the UK brexit, perhaps it would be easier then to put a block on selling at the same time, less 'free trade/movement' red tape. I do prefer the earlier closing of the window, concentrate on the football.

charlenefan

You are correct

"The five votes against came from Manchester City, Manchester United, Crystal Palace, Watford and Swansea"
Wow I am surprised about the likes of Palace being against it. Like I said the ruling benefits clubs like them

TrimiPejes

If they want to keep using a system like this, transfers between English clubs should be closed when the season starts. But we should be able to buy players from foreign competitions.

The rule now handicaps English teams imo because we can still lose players to teams outside of the EPL without being able to reinforce ourselves.

Hawks2008

Such a braindead decision, even the logic of 'our squad is settled for the start of the season' makes little sense when European teams can still take your players and there is still the existence of a transfer window in the middle of the seasons. I don't see the point at all.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Unless it stops players from here leaving then fine but nothing to stop Real or Barca to start turning heads when you think you’ve already got a happy camp.

“Real launch massive late bid for Sadio Mane” etc > “Mane not in right frame of mind to play Arsenal to force move to Madrid”

Things like that worry me, if shit like that happens and the club doesn’t have a replacement then they should change the ruling and a player exchange or player included should be allowed. It’s unfair to the club approached to have to put their foot down and keep a unhappy player.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unless it stops players from here leaving then fine but nothing to stop Real or Barca to start turning heads when you think you’ve already got a happy camp.

“Real launch massive late bid for Sadio Mane” etc > “Mane not in right frame of mind to play Arsenal to force move to Madrid”

Things like that worry me, if shit like that happens and the club doesn’t have a replacement then they should change the ruling and a player exchange or player included should be allowed. It’s unfair to the club approached to have to put their foot down and keep a unhappy player.
And those are things that can legitimately happen (and probably will one day).

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I think its a good idea to close it before the season starts but for it to really work properly the rest of Europe would also need to close early and considering their seasons start at different times there is work to do to sort it all out.

Djemba-Djemba

And yet your team voted in favour like fecking idiots.

That scenario will definitely happen at some point, wouldn't shock me if Madrid try it with Pogba in the next week or 2.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Stupid. I understand the thinking but why handicap your own league compared to everyone else?

Stupid idea. It would only work if the other countries did the same thing.
Other leagues start at different times from the PL too so it still wouldn't work.

mu4c_20le

I'm more annoyed that it closes at 5pm rather than midnight like the old day.s

red4ever 79

I'm more annoyed that it closes at 5pm rather than midnight like the old day.s
Me 100% this. Used to enjoy the atmosphere in the evenings with a couple of beers and Harry in his car

Who gives a feck the window closed today. The Premier League managers voted for this. They have had 2 months to do their business, so dont anyone come crying there wasnt enough time or its not fair. Managers wanted this. 2 months to sign a midfielder and a striker. We knew in July Fatty was going when he sat on his arse down under pretending his ankle hurt

dbs235

Me 100% this. Used to enjoy the atmosphere in the evenings with a couple of beers and Harry in his car

Who gives a feck the window closed today. The Premier League managers voted for this. They have had 2 months to do their business, so dont anyone come crying there wasnt enough time or its not fair. Managers wanted this. 2 months to sign a midfielder and a striker. We knew in July Fatty was going when he sat on his arse down under pretending his ankle hurt
Just like everything else in football these days, it's all just getting worse...

SAFMUTD

It doesn’t make a difference if the team is well run, two months is plenty of time to get a deal done. Clubs “preparing a bid” “considering making an offer” “analizing a player” should do their homework before.

poor managed clubs start planning when the window opens, see Real Madrid they got all their players in two weeks. They knew who they wanted and how much the worth. Quick planned business.

fps

As others have said, always liked the midnight finish. Some chairmen suddenly got late-night sugar rushes and did ridiculous things.

R'hllor

You know transfer window is shit when there are no GIF from Olly and Code-X