The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral

BTV
He is pretty quick responding to the Merck CEO's resignation.... but KKK....
Y'all surely know by now...when Trump gets criticized, he just doubles down on his cuntery. I would prefer he kept his mouth shut now about this issue - we all know where his support and sympathy lies. The damage has been done.

You don't need expert analysis to tell you that - the Nazis themselves are telling you, Trump and his message has emboldened them....nothing he says now, will change that. Say, he called out the Nazis out now - would you and I believe him? No. Would they think the condemnation was genuine? No.

So, what's the point?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Thought this was great from Karl Rove on Fox News. Tore them apart with reason and dignity. On the other hand I thought Tom Bossert did a pretty good job of explaining and expanding upon Trump's statement. The media's obsession with trying to sow political division is a well-known factor in inciting violence and I think his message hit the right notes on that front.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Y'all surely know by now...when Trump gets criticized, he just doubles down on his cuntery. I would prefer he kept his mouth shut now about this issue - we all know where his support and sympathy lies. The damage has been done.

You don't need expert analysis to tell you that - the Nazis themselves are telling you, Trump and his message has emboldened them....nothing he says now, will change that. Say, he called out the Nazis out now - would you and I believe him? No. Would they think the condemnation was genuine? No.

So, what's the point?
True. Hopefully, he faces some long term pay-back.

entropy

They're really not. He talks more sense than any talking head on tv. I disagree with some things, agree on others. Yet he rarely goes too far over the line.
He does go too far. Which is exactly why his viewership has been dwindling over the last few years. He is far too cynical and is just jumping on the post election bandwagon with the usual "I told you so" rhetoric.

Fergies Gum

He does go too far. Which is exactly why his viewership has been dwindling over the last few years. He is far too cynical and is just jumping on the post election bandwagon with the usual "I told you so" rhetoric.
Are you sure about that? Because that claim looks like a lie to me.

Bill Maher and Trevor Noah are just two of the late-night and cable news hosts that have benefited from a Donald Trump presidency, with the latter coming off of his best month in the ratings since taking over as host of The Daily Show, while the former is on pace to having his highest-rated season since he migrated to HBO from ABC in 2003.
Maher has always been a consistent ratings performer for HBO, but this year his numbers are even better than normal, with Real Time climbing around 40 percent compared to last season

late-night shows that regularly take on Trump are seeing an increase in viewers in English-speaking markets like Canada and the UK. Both Real Time and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver are breaking records north of the border on HBO Canada, with Maher’s show growing by 73 percent to an average of 404,000 viewers, it’s most-watched season to date.
https://lastnighton.com/2017/03/10/real-time-bill-maher-tonight-march-10th/

Last edited:

Fergies Gum

@Fergies Gum what do I gain by lying about his viewership?
You made a claim. I did a quick search on it and the article refutes your post.

Now you must have read this somewhere for you to then go and make the claim that his viewership has been going down over the years, so some links would be useful.

entropy

You made a claim. I did a quick search on it and the article refutes your post.

Now you must have read this somewhere for you to then go and make the claim that his viewership has been going down over the years, so some links would be useful.
He is enjoying the post election bump to his viewership. Anyone could have predicted that. Especially given the result. I still think most of the younger viewers don't relate to his cynical and Muslim bashing perspective. I can see why middle age or older folks like him though.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal

What the feck?

What the feck?

What the feck?

:rolleyes:

Not one single Tweet about what happened over the weekend. He's back to trolling the USA again.
Back where he belongs. He just doesn't give a shit about neo-nazis.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

What the feck?

What the feck?

What the feck?

:rolleyes:

Not one single Tweet about what happened over the weekend. He's back to trolling the USA again.
There are two obvious reasons he won't do it.

1. He obviously doesn't like to be perceived as capitulating on anything, as doing it once will mean those who got him to do it will do it on other issues. His strategy therefore is to punch back and change the topic, with the expectation that the situation will eventually blow over as it always does.

2. He can't risk alienating his base, especially with dwindling poll numbers. Losing his hardcore base would be political suicide at this point.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
There are two obvious reasons he won't do it.

1. He obviously doesn't like to be perceived as capitulating on anything, as doing it once will mean those who got him to do it will do it on other issues. His strategy therefore is to punch back and change the topic, with the expectation that the situation will eventually blow over as it always does.

2. He can't risk alienating his base, especially with dwindling poll numbers. Losing his hardcore base would be political suicide at this point.
Yeah, politically it's quite reasonable and expected, I suppose. From a human standpoint, though... It says a lot, that the apparent leader of the free world won't unequivocally condemn neo-nazis and white supremacists. What has the world, but mostly America, come to.

kps88

I think his window has passed. Even if he comes out with the greatest statement ever, it won't have as much of an impact as it should. Those against him will question why it took so long and those supporting him will take the delay as a sign of tacit approval. Plus neither side will actually believe he meant it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
John Oliver absolutely fecking destroyed Trump for failing to disavow the Nazis. Brilliant as usual from him.

Neutral

BTV
This is killing Trump - He's not happy....and is forced to read these 'lies' off a prompter, without it - he'd be unable to get the words and sentences out. :(

To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend's racist violence, you will be held accountable
"It has no place in America"
"Racism is evil and those who cause violence in its name are criminal and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists"
"Two days ago a young American woman...was tragically killed." "We also mourn the two VA state troopers" "These three fallen Americans embody the goodness and decency of our nation."
But - that he was forced to do it, maybe says something about the pressure he felt...pressure not just applied by the media (he doesn't care), democrats (cares even less), but Republicans, many in his own administration and inner circle.

Fergies Gum

This should have been the statement given two days ago.

Damage has been done and had this speech been given then, he'd have gotten credit for it.

Drifter

American
Trump just can't do pretending to be sincere. His speech looked like a man forced to come out and say something. Very unconvincing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How they react to this will be very interesting.

A. Betrayed that he is condemning them and annoyed that he is not strong enough to be his own man?
B. Denial - "He has to say that to shut people up but he doesn't mean it"

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wow what a lovely website :lol: Nice to see they are pleased with him.
This one guy seems particularly level headed and open minded:

"When push comes to shove, Trump sides with our racial enemies against White people.

But he has been like that all along - it's just that the White Nationalist Trump-lemmings refused to admit it to themselves.

No doubt some will continue to support this Jew-loving race traitor, even now.

The universe is not governed by wishful thinking!"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Originally Posted by Tenniel said:
Originally Posted by Danger2443 said:
I told you. Whenever the Alt-Right come out, things get worse.

When Alt-Right put on their silly stunt for Atlantic Magazine at the beginning of the year, Trump started posting pictures of himself with blacks, and went full **** for 6 months.

After this latest fiasco, Trump will be going full **** for at least a year.
You're really trying to eliminate the Alt-Right Movement, aren't you, Mr. Danger?

The "Alt-Right" Movement is simply another name for White Survival Movement. That puts YOU on the side of the enemy of the White Race, Mr. Danger.
They're a lovely bunch of people.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He's pretty much handled this as badly as he possibly could. If he comes out with this statement two days ago, he appeases the mainstream right while pissing off the fascists. If he just stays silent on it and waits for it to eventually blow over, he pisses off the mainstream but holds on to the fascists.

This way, he's managed to piss everyone off.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He's pretty much handled this as badly as he possibly could. If he comes out with this statement two days ago, he appeases the mainstream right while pissing off the fascists. If he just stays silent on it and waits for it to eventually blow over, he pisses off the mainstream but holds on to the fascists.

This way, he's managed to piss everyone off.
He'd have been better off attacking anarchists. At least fasicism is an ethos.

Fergies Gum

How they react to this will be very interesting.

A. Betrayed that he is condemning them and annoyed that he is not strong enough to be his own man?
B. Denial - "He has to say that to shut people up but he doesn't mean it"
The reaction seems to be more of B. A lot of them are unhappy that Trump never mentioned antifa in his statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.