The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Checks memories of AP US History....... yep, this tracks.

The amount of bad shit from America's past I have learned in my old age from reading and podcasts (The Dollup in paricular. Amazing history podcast by two commedians. They do mostly American history but also European/Australian when they do live shows abroad) constantly blows my mind. Almost none of it was covered in HS or college.
We have collectively whitewashed parts of history, especially that which would dare us question our WASP/Christian culture.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
To my AP US teaching colleague’s credit - he has the kids read Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History...”
I took a History course at a local JC between my Jr and Sr years and Zinns book was our text. I swear I do not remember covering any of the "negative" stuff other than the big stuff that is usually covered. Then again the prof was a friends dad and is now a massive Trump fan, so that may have explained it.

As a side note, my freshman us history course in college was taught by a graduate TA. I received a C on a paper because I used Zinns book as a reference in addition to the texts she had supplied which were all the generic whitewashed BS. Her reasoning was that I had not used an "approved text". :rolleyes:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
To my AP US teaching colleague’s credit - he has the kids read Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History...”
I think the extent of many Trumpers’ history education as adults is the Soprano‘s episode where Tony loses his temper because his son starts criticizing Christopher Columbus after reading that book.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think the extent of many Trumpers’ history education as adults is the Soprano‘s episode where Tony loses his temper because his son starts criticizing Christopher Columbus after reading that book.
No doubt. They are walking, talking Dunning-Kruger graphs of US History.

Or any history.
Or science.
Or anything.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Serious question.

Does anyone really believe putin is controlling Trump?

He might be in debt or something to the russian but really taking specific orders from putin himself?
Maybe not direct orders but there have definitely been several incidences that indicate some level of Russian influence on his actions.

Amarsdd

Serious question.

He might be in debt or something to the russian but really taking specific orders from putin himself?
In the beginning of his presidency I was more of the thought he was acting on his financial/business interests which had some indirect connections to Russia. But over the four years now, it has looked more and more that there are direct Russian influences on his actions whether it be through debt, direct financial gains or sensitive materials.

GiddyUp

Serious question.

The press conference after Helsinki should have alarm bells ringing. That was the look of one man who has the other man's balls in his pocket. Definitely something in it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Serious question.

The way some talk about it is definitely greatly exaggerated and highly unlikely.

Looking at the incentives, its much simpler imo. Trump's self interest simply aligns with Putin's in many ways. Much the way some things are not these massive conspiracies but just the interest and incentives of powerful entities aligning.

Another good example of this type of thing would be how Likud and Hamas interests aligned in the late 90s.

Tyrion

Serious question.

I dont think he takes orders from Trump but I think he admires dictators and would happily govern the US as Putin does Russia. Basically he looks at him as a model and sucks up to him.

There's a few parrallels. Both hate independent media, view criticism of themselves as treason, politicise the judiciary and intelligence services, govern through corrupt patsies and oligarchs, use nationalism to distract from their own corruption and despise the civil rights groups across "the west". The main differences are that Putin is more competent and Trump faces stiffer resistance.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I dont think he takes orders from Trump but I think he admires dictators and would happily govern the US as Putin does Russia. Basically he looks at him as a model and sucks up to him.
This, I think. If Trump was really in Putin's pocket somehow, that would have come out by now. There have been so many leaks on all kinds of stuff, no way this would stayed hidden entirely. But Trump being the insecure narcissist that he is, probably loves people like Putin: strong, secure, don't have to take shit from anyone. 'If only I could be like him!'

This is also confirmed by some of Bolton's stories by the way, and the stuff about how Trump behaves on international phone calls. He is constantly trying to look cool to people like Putin and Erdogan. Clearly, it's a group he'd like to be seen with. So no way he's going to undermine them. They're his heroes!
Don't you mean Albert Heijn?
Way too classy. Try Aldi.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
But Trump being the insecure narcissist that he is, probably loves people like Putin: strong, secure, don't have to take shit from anyone. 'If only I could be like him!'
You've just put the image of a shirtless Trump on horseback into my head!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Donald Trump is charged up ahead of tonight’s Salute to America if the blur of activity on his Twitter feed is any indicator. The US president has fired off no fewer than 55 tweets or retweets since noon today' (Guardian):

Trump said:
Cases, Cases, Cases! If we didn’t test so much and so successfully, we would have very few cases. If you test 40,000,000 people, you are going to have many cases that, without the testing (like other countries), would not show up every night on the Fake Evening News.....
Trump said:
....In a certain way, our tremendous Testing success gives the Fake News Media all they want, CASES. In the meantime, Deaths and the all important Mortality Rate goes down. You don’t hear about that from the Fake News, and you never will. Anybody need any Ventilators???

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Heard a segment on the local radio (Tampa) about the virus surge here... A caller claiming to be a nurse stated the testing numbers are exaggerated in that Person A will test daily and each positive result is counted but not identified as Person A has tested positive four straight days, reported as four positive tests.

No idea if any of that is truth or bullshit. Doesn't sound like how I understand medical practice.

Carolina Red

Staff
Heard a segment on the local radio (Tampa) about the virus surge here... A caller claiming to be a nurse stated the testing numbers are exaggerated in that Person A will test daily and each positive result is counted but not identified as Person A has tested positive four straight days, reported as four positive tests.

No idea if any of that is truth or bullshit. Doesn't sound like how I understand medical practice.
That’s all the rage for people to say in SC, too. Had someone who works at the front desk of a doctors office try to tell me “they don’t track who is tested positive, and I know that because DHEC doesn’t ask for names on the tests we send them.”

Oh yeah, then how do they tell the patient what they’ve tested?

“I’m just telling you what DHEC told us. You wouldn’t know since you don’t deal with them.”

My wife is charge nurse over a Covid ward. She fills out the test forms.

“I’m unfriending you. I don’t appreciate your tone.”

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
would this stuff have spread on whatsapp and closed platforms like that or facebook (more open)?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Thanks, now I feel sorry for Putin.

Status
Not open for further replies.