Status
Not open for further replies.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds like Schindler may have uncovered a link between a recently caught NSA contractor spilling secrets and the Intercept publishing them.

Tyrion

There's some good news about a less depressing topic. Most people (including Republicans) actually support the Paris agreement. He's not going to win over any Dems because of this and alienates even more Republicans. Even if half the GOP does their "Well now that we're doing it, it's great" trick, losing just a few percentage of Republican voters could cost the GOP/Trump big.

But Mr Trump’s decision may turn out to be bad politics as well as bad policy. In a poll conducted by Quinnipiac University last month, 65% of respondents said that the president should not “remove specific regulations intended to combat climate change”. Moreover, support for the Paris agreement is hardly limited to the left. The leaders of America’s biggest companies lobbied furiously for Mr Trump not to tear up the deal, to no avail. Polling data suggest that many members of the president’s party share their views. According to a recent survey by the Yale Programme on Climate Communication, not only do 86% of Democrats want to remain in the accord, but so do 51% of Republicans. Researchers at Yale and Utah State University estimate that majorities want to impose strict limits on coal-fired power plants, not just in liberal cities but also in conservative bastions such as Amarillo, Texas and Provo, Utah. An enthusiasm gap may further raise the political cost of Mr Trump’s decision: Democrats tend to rank environmental and climate issues far higher on their lists of concerns than Republicans do.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/06/daily-chart-1

Fergies Gum

What is that? I doubt even if Preet ran, he'd not be able to challenge Cuomo (or Di Blasio for that matter)
I presume its to do with Cuomo shutting down the Moreland corruption commission, because the probe was getting too close to Cuomo.

Some of Cuomo's top aides are also awaiting trial for corruption and bribery.

MTF

Sounds like Schindler may have uncovered a link between a recently caught NSA contractor spilling secrets and the Intercept publishing them.

I initially thought WINNER was a codename for leaker. Only after a proper read now have I realized that her name is actually Reality Leigh Winner, and I still barely believe it... can't you deny security clearance to someone just based on that name? Jeez...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I initially thought WINNER was a codename for leaker. Only after a proper read now have I realized that her name is actually Reality Leigh Winner, and I still barely believe it... can't you deny security clearance to someone just based on that name? Jeez...
Glenn Greenwald has a lot to answer for.

ravi2

Outsiders don't necessarily fare worse than insiders. Trump and Obama were both to varying degrees, outsiders. She's still the most competent person available in the US.
Keep telling yourself that Raoul. If she is stupid and arrogant enough to run for a third time, she is just going to get her ass kicked again.

Fergies Gum

This is a huge story. I've always suspected the Russians got into some voting systems and altered the votes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Keep telling yourself that Raoul. If she is stupid and arrogant enough to run for a third time, she is just going to get her ass kicked again.
I didn't say she would run a third time. But she is quite comfortably better suited to the Presidency than any other American at the moment.

Fergies Gum

Just reading they've arrested the leaker and i presume that's what Schindler is referring to.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The name 'Reality Winner' sounds like a codename for Trump.

ChaddyP

I don't understand your point then. Who needs to shift right if shifting right is where the Democrats lost their way?
I'm saying both sides are too far on both sides of the aisle in general and need to come to the centre. Even though Hillary did run more to the center the core of the party is way left. On the other hand the Republican party is way to the right. There is probably nothing that the two sides can come together with. Which is why nothing can be done unless there is a one party rule. Both parties need a shift

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Oh joy, here comes Jeffery Lord, I can't wait to hear him defend this with his bullshit :rolleyes:

CNN should just stop it with their Lord love in.

:lol: Oh man, I take that back, this has been the funniest Anderson Cooper I have ever seen.

Anderson to Lord "So after 9/11 the President of Pakistan said to Rudi Guilliani it's your fault you're not doing your job properly, would you be ok with that?"

Lord "Yeah, yes I would"

:lol: For fecks sake.

Last edited:

Tyrion

I'm saying both sides are too far on both sides of the aisle in general and need to come to the centre. Even though Hillary did run more to the center the core of the party is way left. On the other hand the Republican party is way to the right. There is probably nothing that the two sides can come together with. Which is why nothing can be done unless there is a one party rule. Both parties need a shift
I think the Dems could stand to be more relaxed on some social issues. They could still be progressive about them but be flexible and not demand every part of the country changes straight away; graduallly introduce gun control/pro-choice ideas into GOP areas. It might help draw some of the voters who just vote GOP because of abortion or gun rights rather than their own self-interest.

Economically, the Dems are right wing by any other country's standard.

@Tyrion

:eek: Anderson, Columbia, and Charleston in SC
I know. I was surprised by how much of the US believes in climate change. At least it shows how out of touch the GOP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.