The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought we weren't waiting on AM's this time ?
Put your cock back in your trousers Stobz. It's less than half an hour since it came round to our turn and we've not even reached the Wednesday kick-off time yet.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I haven't a clue who I'll pick man. :d
With your first pick I thought it was a foregone conclusion but yeah lots of options out there tbf.

Put your cock back in your trousers Stobz. It's less than half an hour since it came round to our turn and we've not even reached the Wednesday kick-off time yet.
:lol:

Annahnomoss

I get what you are saying. I found it especially difficult in the British/Irish draft on gauging how a halfback in a 2-3-5 for a fullback in a 3-2-5 formation will perform in more modern set up's.

THe other part is the 'innovation'. Certain teams and players are legendary because what they did was revolutionary at that point of time. But now, how effective will they be when the new set-up's take away most of their tactical advantage. Very difficult to get impact based on talent alone, imo.
Yup, I'd go as far as saying it is impossible. As the draft stands it is completely free to every voters interpretation on how to judge everything as it is a very abstract, and there are no regulations. Some people will consider the matches to be played under modern rules, and hence disqualifying more or less all players who played a different type of football with different rules.

Some people will try to find some bridge between it and ignore the fact that say the Dutch team of the 70's or Bela Guttmans side would be completely trashed as nobody would ever have played under modern rules etc etc as the draft otherwise only allows for modern players.

Some people have strict time periods where they more or less completely disregard players, the pre-war era, some choose to go with the pre-television era. Some will consider peaks to be based on having won a lot of international trophies, some will consider it being their best 3 year period - others may go completely on feeling of it all.

There is no right and wrong, the only thing I think is important is that every voter/manager stays true to himself by being consistent as it seems very fishy otherwise. If a manager in one match considers a pre-war player more or less useless because there aren't enough videos about the player - then he has to do the same in the next game and the one after that etc.

The same goes if someone considers matches to be played under modern rules, and then disqualifies players who played under different rules and developed to adhere to those.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
GIACINTO FACCHETTI

Lifting Euro 1968 trophy..

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
1. crappycraperson - 1. Platini
2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás
3. Paolo Di Canio - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
5. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Van Basten
6. Stobzilla 1. Beckenbauer
7. Joga Bonito 1. Maldini
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić
9. Aldo 1. Xavi
10. Raees & Gio 1. Frank Rijkaard 2. G Fachetti
11. Theon & NM 1. Matthäus 2. Bozsik
12. The Red Viper 1. Gerd Müller 2. Sammer
13. big red123 1. Cruyff 2. Baresi
14. Šjor Bepo & VivaJanuzaj 1. Luis Suarez 2. Nesta
15. ctp 1. Rummenigge 2. Scirea
16. PedroMendez 1. Meazza 2. Thuram

@Aldo

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Aldo I'm going to sleep in a few, so if you already have your pick, you should post it.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Exceptional in 1996, great pick.
Indeed, absolutely fantastic pick.

He was my next preferred pick after Bozsik. The only minor qualm is the popularity of the 3-5-2 on the Caf nowadays, but truth be told I wouldn't expect any issues with Sammer there in the eyes of the voters.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Exceptional in 1996, great pick.
Indeed, absolutely fantastic pick.

He was my next preferred pick after Bozsik. The only minor qualm is the popularity of the 3-5-2 on the Caf nowadays, but truth be told I wouldn't expect any issues with Sammer there in the eyes of the voters.
Yep. One of the first players to come into my head when i think of a player bossing a Euro's. Was indeed immense in 96

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Decisions, decisions.. This will be one hell of a competitive draft.

Moby

Dick
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić
9. Aldo 1. Xavi 2. Iniesta

@harms

Annahnomoss

I want to pick Dr. György Sárosi

I'll probably be here for a couple of hours, I overestimated my desire to sleep though, but in case of...
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi

@Joga Bonito You are up sir.

Annahnomoss

;) I take the assistant draft admin duties seriously. I was bound to do something useful sometime.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Captaining reigning World Cup holders to a 3rd (England's highest ever) place in the the 1968 European Championships. Tactical flaws, bad luck with injuries and a certain magical Dzajic denied the world champions the chance to add the European crown to their trophy cabinet.

Ramsey's team selection appeared to reflect the caution of his country, with two ball-winners among a five-man midfield playing behind only ***** up front. Shorn of **** and ***** (both key players), both injured during a friendly in Hannover just four days earlier, England paid the price. As such, their opponents, deploying a sweeper at the back, showed no fear.

It also proved to be a game lacking in fluidity, though England nonetheless managed to create a handful of chances, **** heading against the bar from an offside position before then shooting over wastefully after a good move. The 1966 FIFA World Cup winners might have won comprehensively if they had the firepower, or indeed a winger to match Džajić, the smoothest in Europe.

Showing tremendous ball control for someone so tall and well built, he beat three men with bewildering sleight of foot before being stopped by a fourth. When a long ball came in from the left, he stole behind the admirable Bobby Moore, chested it down and hammered it high past Gordon Banks in the England goal.

England's task became doubly difficult when ***** received the dubious honour of becoming the first ever England player to be sent off in the country's 424-international history. It proved beyond them.
Moore did play an instrumental role in the next game against a strong Soviet Union side, a nation with an unrivalled pedigree in the tournament thus far - they had won the inaugural 1960 European Championships, made the final of the 1964 version and would go on to make the 1972 final as well.

World champions England had hoped for more from their first foray into the UEFA European Football Championship, but goals from **** and **** ensured they did not go home empty-handed.

**** set Sir Alf Ramsey's team on their way six minutes before the interval, arriving in the penalty area with trademark timing and lashing in. **** had done the hard work and the West Ham United FC man, restored to the England attack after sitting out the semi-final defeat by Yugoslavia three days earlier, fully justified his selection with the second goal just after the hour.

There was no way back for the Soviet Union, still coming to terms with the profound disappointment of their last-four loss when Italy advanced at their expense after a coin toss. Yet an unchanged side began brightly in front of a crowd of 68,817 at the Stadio Olimpico and had ******, free at the far post, met *****'s fine early cross with more purpose they would have forged ahead.

The forward instead directed his header straight at ****, and England gradually took the initiative. **** lashed over after **** could only parry into his path a left-wing cross from ****, making his debut at full-back. **** similarly blazed over following a commanding run from Bobby Moore as the England back line basked in the space afforded them – next time, the USSR would pay.

Moore again set the move off, advancing deep into opposition territory before switching play to left and West Ham club-mate ****. The midfielder's cross towards the penalty spot found **** who, crowded by defenders, simply diverted the ball into the path of **** – 1-0.

Yet it was far from one-way traffic and at the start of the second period the USSR reversed the flow, twice going close around the hour mark. First **** had an effort deflected over after **** had skipped ****'s challenge and from the resulting corner **** was almost caught at the near post.

FIFA World Cup winners two years earlier, England would be expected to weather the storm but confidence had been dented by losses to Scotland and, on the eve of the tournament, West Germany. ****'s goal was a welcome relief.

The build-up was innocuous enough, **** pick-pocketed **** in midfield and strode forward. His shot was blocked, but only as far as **** who expertly rounded **** before firing into the empty net.

Still England pressed, **** and **** going close, but Sir Alf's side had it in the bag.
Bobby Moore was rewarded with a spot in the team of the tournament for his imperious displays and was just one of the two Englishmen to be present in the list, highlighting his impressive individual displays.

"Bobby was one of the best players in the history of football. He was the captain of the team which won the major title for England in 1966 at the World Cup in their own country," he said. He was an exceptionally gifted player and a true leader on the field, because he was a personality with charisma and he was able to motivate his team mates. His particular strength was his intuition. Thus he had an incredible positional play." - Beckenbauer

"Bobby was my football idol. I looked up to him. I'm so proud to have played against him." - Franz Beckenbauer

"He defended like a lord. Let me tell you about this man. When I played, I would face up to a defender, I would beat him with my eyes, send him the wrong way; I would look one way and then go the other. Defenders would just kick me in frustration. They would foul me because they couldn't stop me, or because I would confuse them with my movement. I would move my eyes, my legs or my body, but not always the ball. They would follow my move, but not Bobby, not ever. He would watch the ball, he would ignore my eyes and my movement and then, when he was ready and his balance was right, he would take the ball, always hard, always fair.He was a gentleman and an incredible footballer." - Pele

"He was my friend as well as the greatest defender I ever played against. The world has lost one of its greatest football players and an honourable gentleman." - Pelé

"There should be a law against him. He knows what's happening 20 minutes before everyone else." - Jock Stein

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane
6. Stobzilla 1. Beckenbauer 2.
7. Joga Bonito 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore
8. harms 1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi

@Stobzilla

Annahnomoss

Great pick. Nationality helps a lot. I was surprised he didn't go before. I would have picked him even before Baresi, Nesta & Scirea just for the nationality advantage. He's in their class anyway!
Not a bad point about the nationality rule.

Skizzo

Great pick. Nationality helps a lot. I was surprised he didn't go before. I would have picked him even before Baresi, Nesta & Scirea just for the nationality advantage. He's in their class anyway!
I think it's probably just England's horrible showing at Euro's (or international competitions in general) that counts against him. Not to say that they were his fault...like @Joga Bonito said above, it was a moment of brilliance that stopped them advancing. And he's definitely a good choice based on nationality.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think it's probably just England's horrible showing at Euro's (or international competitions in general) that counts against him. Not to say that they were his fault...like @Joga Bonito said above, it was a moment of brilliance that stopped them advancing. And he's definitely a good choice based on nationality.
He made the team of the tournament!