The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
1. crappycraperson - 1. Platini 2. Figo 3. Tigana 4. Tardelli 5. Krol
2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás 2. Masopust 3. Gullit 4. Breitner 5. Deschamps
3. Paolo Di Canio - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo 2. Blanc 3. Lev Yashin 4. van Nistelrooy 5. Gentile
4. The Stain - 1. Zidane 2. Czibor 3. Amancio 4. Förster 5. Zagorakis
5. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. van Basten 2. Netzer 3. Monti 4. Popluhár 5. Bonhof
6. Stobzilla - 1. Beckenbauer 2. B.Charlton 3. Bican 4. Gascoigne 5. Brian Laudrup
7. Joga Bonito - 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore 3. Sindelar 4. Bergomi 5.
8. harms - 1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi 3. Schuster 4. Voronin 5.
9. Aldo - 1. Xavi 2. Iniesta 3. Nedved 4. Lahm 5.
10. Raees & Gio - 1. Rijkaard 2. Facchetti 3. Kohler 4. Henry 5.
11. Theon & NM - 1. Matthäus 2. Bozsik 3. Davids 4. Desailly 5.
12. The Red Viper - 1. Gerd Müller 2. Sammer 3. Vieira 4. Shesternyov 5.
13. big red123 - 1. Cruyff 2. Baresi 3. Stoichkov 4. Michael Laudrup 5.
14. Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Nesta 3. Hidegkuti 4. Ivanov 5.
15. ctp - 1. Rummenigge 2. Scirea 3. Ocwirk 4. Mazzola 5.
16. PedroMendez - 1. Meazza 2. Thuram 3. Schmeichel 4. Netto 5.

@Joga Bonito

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
He appeared in 3 consecutive finals, has two winners medals and a runners up medal. He was one of the best players at the 76 tournament, and assisted 4 of the 6 goals in the semi final and final.

Rainer Bonhof
Sounds like a fantastic pick, well done!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He appeared in 3 consecutive finals, has two winners medals and a runners up medal.
I'm pretty sure he didn't play a single minute in 1972. Am I really wrong? He was in the squad, maybe even on the bench, but never actually played. Great player though, excellent pick.

NM

In euro's terms alone, Brian should have gone before Michael in this draft. Fantastic in '92
agree.

also @Joga Bonito my post about Bergomi wasn't a complain, more just an observation. I had a lengthy conversation with Theon about him too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In euro's terms alone, Brian should have gone before Michael in this draft. Fantastic in '92
Yeah, at first, I thought that there was a mistake and bigred meant to pick Brian :lol: But then I remembered his approach

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm pretty sure he didn't play a single minute in 1972. Am I really wrong? He was in the squad, maybe even on the bench, but never actually played. Great player though, excellent pick.
Yup neither for 1980 iirc due to injuries but he was tremendous in the 76 Euros. This is the 3rd time Skizzo's picked someone I was about to or considering amongst another pick :mad:.

Pick coming soon.

Big red123

Can't wait until I hear how people prove how good the older players played at the Euro's and see if their not just going on their reputions.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yup neither for 1980 iirc due to injuries
I thought he came on as a sub there, but just checked, it was someone else. But yes, 1976 was his tournament, fantastic performance no doubt.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Here we go again :lol:

Disagree there. I did post in that match thread too...but from what I read, he used to put in a phenomenal amount of work pre-match to study his opponents and analyse their tactics...not something you would expect in a thug, eh? He chose to be hard, but I believe that people just remember the tackles and forget the brain behind them.

If it was as simple as being a hardman to keep Maradona quiet, then anyone could have done it. Similar to Nobby Stiles on Eusebio. It takes much more than just roughness to compete at that level, which is overlooked.
i was to harsh when i said he didnt have any brain, i dont mean he is a fecking Skrtel or something.....
I said he was a good defender and he had certain qualities to be a good man-marker but he was nothing special, specially when you compare him to other greats.

And where did he stop Maradona? Italy as a team stopped Maradona and his argentina team because at the time Italy was much stronger and better side.
Maradona had a good game against Gentile until the end when he tired and had to force the issue because they were behind and it was only up to him if they will create something or not. The problem is people see Maradona and they expect from him to beat every team alone, he is only human ffs. If there was any other player this would be considered as a good performance and im not even a "fan" of Maradona, i rate Messi and Cruyff higher. We can analyze every situation on that video if you want because i really cant see what the other see, Gentile dominating Maradona. The only time he dominated was at the end....

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Have to say im in balu camp for Gentile discussion, he has a reputation of one of the best defenders ever but i dont rate him that high, not even close.
I admit i never watched him play and im judging him on few clips against great players so i leave the window open to the fact im way wrong on this topic. Its not disgrace to be outsmarted by great players like Zico and Maradona but the way Gentile played i didnt see any football brain in his approach. I understand that it was part of the plan to kick players and make them nervous, angry etc. but then you use the brain when to kick them. If you have the opportunity to kick them when they are far from goal then you do it, if there is a dangerous situation near the box and you have little or no backup, then you do it. From what i saw Gentile did just the opposite....and people raving how he stopped them, the feck he is if they had freekick after freekick in dangerous area.
Dont get me wrong, he probably was a good player but just not great as the players i consider as great ones they rely first and for most on their football brain which in fact is their biggest asset.
It's just plain wrong to judge Gentile buy his two World Cup performances against Zico and Maradona - he was only asked to do a job of a free defender with a kill task a few times in his career. He earned his reputation by playing a side-back/stopper role and played 99% games of his career like that - and he wasn't kicking his opponents all game, obviously (like he did against those two). He used his wits and determination to prevail in a duel, like every other great defender.

Skizzo

No you're correct. I think he was only 20(?) at that tournament, and unfortunately didn't play in the matches with Netzer. I think he'll link up well with him though. Biased an opinion as that is :p

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Can't wait until I hear how people prove how good the older players played at the Euro's and see if their not just going on their reputions.
You have 3 pre 64 players to pick yourself, you know? Or are you only going to field 8 players?

Skizzo

Yup neither for 1980 iirc due to injuries but he was tremendous in the 76 Euros. This is the 3rd time Skizzo's picked someone I was about to or considering amongst another pick :mad:.

Pick coming soon.
Yeah. Mildly amusing that his best tournament was when they were runners up, and winners in the other two. Bad luck Bonhof.

I knew someone would be onto him soon. The other players I was considering are definitely guaranteed to be picked before my turn comes back around.

Who were the other two, out of curiosity? Netzer and who else?

NM

The issue for you is that the performances of your players are rather well known - and some of them simply didn't perform brilliantly in the Euros.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
It's just plain wrong to judge Gentile buy his two World Cup performances against Zico and Maradona - he was only asked to do a job of a free defender with a kill task a few times in his career. He earned his reputation by playing a side-back/stopper role and played 99% games of his career like that - and he wasn't kicking his opponents all game, obviously (like he did against those two). He used his wits and determination to prevail in a duel, like every other great defender.
i said at the start that i leave big possibility that im wrong.....and i explained this later, i dont mind Zico and Maradona dominating him(im not saying they did) because in a duel great defender vs great attacker you always bet on the attacker.
I also understand he was kicking them because he was asked to do that and it was part of the tactics, the thing i mind was the timing and his decison making when to kick them and when not.

Big red123

You have 3 pre 64 players to pick yourself, you know? Or are you only going to field 8 players?
Nope. Im going to make up 3 names and post a extract from a Russian site that was written 60 years ago and see does anyone notice. :D

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Guys, be thankful that you have big red123 around, rather than everyone complimenting every single pick that has been made
If he was making valid criticisms of players I wouldn't actually mind.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
It is like Big Red took up a one man crusade to make a mockery of the draft and the voters (if he wins). I am intrigued to see how it ends up.

Big red123

The issue for you is that the performances of your players are rather well known - and some of them simply didn't perform brilliantly in the Euros.
But Michael Laudraup didn't preform bad at the Euros.

And with Cruyff. He only played one game. The tournament starts in the Semi Finals for fecks sake. Most of the players have only played 2 Euro games around that timeframe.

NM

But Michael Laudraup didn't preform bad at the Euros.

And with Cruyff. He only played one game. The tournament starts in the Semi Finals for fecks sake. Most of the players have only played 2 Euro games around that timeframe.
Correct my friend - but Laudrup didn't perform like LAUDRUP in the Euros. Additionally, Cruyff played one game and lost, and will be up against people who played the games of their lives and lead their teams to success.

See the issue for you here? I'm genuinely trying to explain

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Come on @Joga Bonito , post your pick along with a huge wall of text as usual to kill this discussion :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
DER TIGER

Part of the German team which was on the cusp of Euro glory but for one Great Dane standing in their way. Was a proverbial one man engine room for Germany, holding together a light weight and an overly attacking midfield together and shielding a fantastic 5 men backline before being aided by Sammer in the knock out rounds.

NM

Most, if not all picks, are great, but too much compliment is unnecessary. Perhaps it is just me

I am keen to see big red123 result in this draft. Some managers may have already started thinking to vote against him
Nah we are a nice bunch. I've never really seen voting against a manager.