The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Too many of the power players behind the scenes at United care more about their personal agenda than the club.

Jesse Lingard will be a valuable member of the United squad for several seasons to come.

Our midfield is still far from good enough.

We have a bad habit of holding on to players too long past their best.

Pep's style will get exposed early on in his City run.

More Academy products will make it at United from the current batch than in any prior class since '92.

The media agenda from the "United way" brigade of ex players is the complete antithesis of the values they are supposed to be espousing.
Apart from the Pep and the Academy thing, most of your opinions are shared by the majority at RedCafe. I'd say that makes it quite popular.

I'll make a unpopular prediction:

Ryan Giggs will be a very good manager.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rooney is still good

Devil may care

Apart from the Pep and the Academy thing, most of your opinions are shared by the majority at RedCafe. I'd say that makes it quite popular.

I'll make a unpopular prediction:
Jesse Lingard having a future here, hanging on to old players like Carrick and the midfield being far from sorted are not that popular here IMO, many think Lingard is not good enough, lots want to keep Carrick another season and most only seem to feel we need one CM addition.

saivet

Pep has made Bayern worse than they were before and him as a manager who will oppose united next season does not scare me.
Considering how good Bayern were before he came in, seems harsh to beat him on that.

He made Barca a lot better, reckon he'll make City a lot better too.

settembrini

Van Gaal was right to cut down our massively bloated squad and we could still do with losing a few players.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Pep has made Bayern worse than they were before and him as a manager who will oppose united next season does not scare me.
It's like saying Ferguson made us worse after 1999, because we never won the treble again. Had Heynckes stayed Bayern wouldn't have continued being that good anyway, every team has its peak, and Bayern peaked in 2013, after that it was always going to go a little bit downhill.

JoaquinJoaquin

Mourinho would do a better job here than Pep or Pochettino.

I still have reservations on Rashford (hope i'm wrong).

Fosu Mensah would be a better DM for us than Schneiderlin given the chance.

Herrera's United career may have already peaked.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Class of '92 shot JFK.

stevoc

Van Gaal was right to cut down our massively bloated squad and we could still do with losing a few players.
What made you come to this conclusion, was it the massive injury crisis we didn't have the numbers to cope with that basically derailed our season perhaps?

No squad that has to regularly field midfielders and youngsters to cobble together back fours to fulfill fixtures and has very few attacking options off the bench could do with losing numbers.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The following players are shit and need to be gotten rid of - Bastian, Memphis, Schneiderlin, Rojo

RedDevil@84

Unpopular opinion huh!!!

Shaw is not something out of the world. He is just a routine player. He goes too forward trying to attack (which he has truck loads to learn about) creating a huge hole on the left in defense which could/will be easily exploited by opposition.
He will remain at almost same levels and we will not be getting the so-called 10 years of loyalty at very high levels which half of caf seems to be convinced about.

PS: This is just an opinion and I am not expecting anyone to convince me otherwise. I hope/pray I am proved a d**k and he becomes an awesome player who will play for us for ages.

CG1010

What made you come to this conclusion, was it the massive injury crisis we didn't have the numbers to cope with that basically saved our season perhaps.
Corrected. You're welcome

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Never mind unpopular, I feel like I've wandered into the 'mental football forum posts' thread with some of these

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Fellaini has been a better signing than Schweinsteiger and Darmian.

settembrini

What made you come to this conclusion, was it the massive injury crisis we didn't have the numbers to cope with that basically derailed our season perhaps?

No squad that has to regularly field midfielders and youngsters to cobble together back fours to fulfill fixtures and has very few attacking options off the bench could do with losing numbers.
Our season wasn't derailed by an injury crisis though. We were actually playing some of our best football when we had the most players out and our results declined again once the likes of Fellaini and Carrick returned to fitness and came back into the team.

Our problems this season stem largely from Van Gaal being a poor match day manager (tactics, team selection, substitutions) combined with a lack of quality (not numbers) in certain positions. The decision to cut the numbers was sound and has been justified by the emergence of younger players like Varela, Bothwick-Jackson, Rashford and Lingard.

I want us to keep giving younger players chances and I want more quality in the team. Cutting the numbers in certain positions will make it easier to do both. For example we desperately need to sort out our right hand side, next season we could have Shaw/Martial on the left, that's world class. On the right we could have two from Mata/Lingard/Young/Valencia/Darmian/Varela, that's six players yet no combination we can put out is better than mid-table. I'd be happy to lose all four of the senior players provided they were replaced with two of higher quality and I could make a similar point about our midfield.

We need an rvn

there are too many foreign players at our club and most of the current players don't appear to give a toss - unlike 13 years ago when half our squad would sweat blood for the shirt

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think we should bother with Memphis next season. His lack of technique can't be coached.

JoaquinJoaquin

there are too many foreign players at our club and most of the current players don't appear to give a toss - unlike 13 years ago when half our squad would sweat blood for the shirt
To be honest, I think the 'foreigners' that have played and currently play at the club understand the identity of United and they love being a part of it. There's only really Di Maria you can say hasn't appreciated it in recent times, Pehaps Tevez and Heinze at a push to. I think it's more of a fact that the current players aren't playing for Van Gaal more. They would welcome a change as much as us if effort and body language are anything to go by (and not scripted interviews).

Adebesi

To be honest, I think the 'foreigners' that have played and currently play at the club understand the identity of United and they love being a part of it. There's only really Di Maria you can say hasn't appreciated it in recent times, Pehaps Tevez and Heinze at a push to. I think it's more of a fact that the current players aren't playing for Van Gaal more. They would welcome a change as much as us if effort and body language are anything to go by (and not scripted interviews).
Interesting that you picked three Argentinians...

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Schweinsteiger was a stupid signing and the club should have seen through the fact he was cheap

I predicted he would be awful and he has been even worse than I was expecting.

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
Football agents get a bad rap. They provide a valuable and necessary service and are easily scapegoated by clubs and media when it suits them.

Dobbs

People who start their posts(here or elsewhere) with "Wow" should receive 12 months hard labour.

prath92

1. Herrera has had many bad games that get glossed over when he plays one good game. The opposite of Fellaini and Valencia.
2. We were right to sell aall the players we sold incuding Nani

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Football agents get a bad rap. They provide a valuable and necessary service and are easily scapegoated by clubs and media when it suits them.
That's actually a really interesting point of view. I guess it's easier for us, clubs and the media to label players & agents as greedy rather than take aim at a faceless organisation like a club. We assume that clubs will almost always act 'above board' and this isn't the entire truth.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Rooney is one of our better players, people just want something new, so if he was a new signing performing the exact same people would make him out to be good. He has never been properly forgiven since the first transfer request and pretty hated since the 2nd on here.
There's unpopular opinions and then there is that

stevoc

Corrected. You're welcome
:lol:

Yeah having basically no defenders bar Smalling for months, having 3 midfielders injured and playing Fellaini in there and no real attacking threat and no options off the bench really saved our season.

Once Shaw, Schweinsteiger, Valencia, Jones, Rojo and Young etc. all got crocked our season went tits up.

Jig1234

Wayne Rooney need to leave we need to move on. He is holding the team back. We look better without him. More fluid less passive.

stevoc

Our season wasn't derailed by an injury crisis though. We were actually playing some of our best football when we had the most players out and our results declined again once the likes of Fellaini and Carrick returned to fitness and came back into the team.

Our problems this season stem largely from Van Gaal being a poor match day manager (tactics, team selection, substitutions) combined with a lack of quality (not numbers) in certain positions. The decision to cut the numbers was sound and has been justified by the emergence of younger players like Varela, Bothwick-Jackson, Rashford and Lingard.

I want us to keep giving younger players chances and I want more quality in the team. Cutting the numbers in certain positions will make it easier to do both. For example we desperately need to sort out our right hand side, next season we could have Shaw/Martial on the left, that's world class. On the right we could have two from Mata/Lingard/Young/Valencia/Darmian/Varela, that's six players yet no combination we can put out is better than mid-table. I'd be happy to lose all four of the senior players provided they were replaced with two of higher quality and I could make a similar point about our midfield.
I disagree we played better football in spurts but results overall declined once the likes of Shaw, Schweini, Jones, Rojo, Young, Valencia etc. all got long term injuries and showed how thin our squad really was. We just didn't have the numbers to cope. And however great it is to see all the young lads playing it was forced upon us and cost us games as a result.

I mean it's obvious all those players got injured around November-December bar Shaw and thats when our season took a nose dive. Before that we were going well and in the title race with a pretty good record.

I actually agree with your point about quality, we are desperately lacking quality and yes especially in the right. I would like us to sign a new RB and RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.