The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

99% of them are not on 300K a week...
How much he earns is largely irrelevant to the point though isn't it.

There are a number of players in our squad that have been as bad or worse than Rooney this season.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

There are a number of players in our squad that have been as bad or worse than Rooney this season.
Not many worse up until christmas surely?

stevoc

Not many worse up until christmas surely?
Well no not many as he was woeful for the most part before Xmas, but i'm talking about the season as a whole he is still our top scorer after all. So he has contributed a bit more than most of our under performers.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
We will finish third above Arsenal.

Yes, I know I have gone from optimistic to delusional.

Born2Lose

Not really no, he gets paid a big wage because there's an expectation on him to be leading the attack and his performances this season have been woeful. Even being kind and including his January performances, he's created as many chances and scored around the same amount of goals per game as Troy Deeney. I genuinely struggle to see how people like Rooney and Mata get away with so much on this forum while so many are ready to knock young players like Lingard and Depay.

If Rooney was on performance related pay he'd have to use one of Coleen's old leg razors to shave the hair off his own backside and Aldi sellotape to attach it to his bald patch.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not sure this is really "unpopular"... in fact I would argue it might be among the most popular opinions amongst most reds
Actually, it's currently in the top ten popular opinions worldwide, slightly behind “extreme weather is a bit of a bother” and “ISIS ain't cool”.

Walters_19_MuFc

Blind is an underrated centre back.

Carrick should start for us next season, providing he plays as a 6, with 2 energetic 8's in front of him.

Dominos

That's the one for me. He's not similar in nature to park at all, but hopefully he can be similarly relied upon.

Homegrown players that give 7/10 week-in, weak-out; O'Shea, Fletcher, P. Neville, Brown, etc. If he can only become one of those, I'd be very happy.
The difference is these players were defenders (or in Fletcher's case a combative midfielder).

Our problem right now is out attack is blunt and we don't create or score enough. Having someone who isn't really a dribbler, good crosser, good goalscorer etc. as one of our main attacking outlets is hurting us a lot more than playing a solid, technically limited player as a full back.

Devil may care

Carrick is not on Pirlo's level and Serie A is much slower than the PL, so the idea that we can copy Juve with a 35 year old Michael Carrick who's legs have gone starting for us if flanked by 2 CM's doing all his work, is way wide of the mark.

stevoc

Not really no, he gets paid a big wage because there's an expectation on him to be leading the attack and his performances this season have been woeful.
I will assume you didn't read the other posts that lead to mine, Rooney's wages are irrelevant to the point that theres a load of players in our squad this season that have been as bad as Rooney or worse. And certainly quite a few who have contributed less.

Even being kind and including his January performances, he's created as many chances and scored around the same amount of goals per game as Troy Deeney. I genuinely struggle to see how people like Rooney and Mata get away with so much on this forum while so many are ready to knock young players like Lingard and Depay.
What does that even mean in relation to the point at hand, why do people think that just because player A is earning more money than player B it should guarantee better performances goals etc. than the other player is producing. These players are humans not machines and as such subject to periods of poor form and drops in confidence, as well as aging and playing in an under performing side and probably a thousand other variables.

By this logic Martial should have scored more goals than Harry Kane seeing as he earns around twice as much but he hasn't because they are different players in different teams under different circumstances.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Quentin Fortune was the foundation atop which all of Man Utd's success has been built.

Neuron

Rashford will go on to have a better career than Martial.

manutddjw

People have become too influenced by FIFA and think that it applies to real life.

3 glaring examples are the insistence that nearly every young player will automatically become top players if you play them the obsession with pace and every player over 30 being useless. That couldn't of been more evident when people were complaining about signing Zlatan on a free, but had no problem spending stupid money on Lukaku or Ighalo.

Oh and LvG gets too much credit for Rashford. We had an injury crisis and the first person he turned to was Will Keane who he recalled from his loan. Keane got injured and we really had no other choice but Rashford. Thankfully he scored and kept his place. Rashford kept Rashford in the team. It wasn't like LvG watched him in the u-18's and said I can sell Hernandez and Van Persie because this boy is special.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
Harry Kane will have a disappointing year. Aguero plays badly and hurts Arsenal's chances at a Champions League spot. Zlatan will break someone's jaw before the end of the season.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Formations have a very small importance in how teams play they are simply a rough graphical representation of a teams positional balance.

zeekey

Harry Kane will have a disappointing year. Aguero plays badly and hurts Arsenal's chances at a Champions League spot. Zlatan will break someone's jaw before the end of the season.
Why would Aguero's performance influence Arsenal's league position?

Von Mistelroum

This isn't the first time someone has said something about Aguero negatively affecting Arsenal by being injured. Hopefully not the same person who just can't accept he doesn't play for them :P

Edit: on topic, dunno if it's considered unpopular, but I think City and Chelsea will finish 1st and second this season and will strongly contest the title. I also think they'll be pretty far ahead of the chasing pack.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Martial should be dropped - not permanently, just for a while till he sorts himself out. Rashford, Lingard, Mkh and Memphis are all knocking on that door and players need to learn that if they drop their performance levels there are other players waiting to take their place.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tony Valencia and Luke Shaw are by far the best fullbacks in the Premier League.
Think that's probably a more popular opinion than you'd expect. Shame Valencia isn't a couple years younger.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Rashford will go on to have a better career than Martial.
Too early to say. They both will be top players. For me Martial's close control dribbling is a very rare quality and the poor aspects of his game are things that can be coached.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.