The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't say this before but I was secretly hoping you focused all your attempts in the summer on signing Zlatan (too old for the PL) Pogba (too not needed) and Miki (too injury prone). Prevented you from signing the right shaped pegs instead.

The other opinion is if Zlatan is rested then Rooney walks back into the first team. No club rests BOTH players on 300k a week. That's fraud.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
That would be difficult. Doesn't the offense and defenders in American football play at different times during the match?
Never mind, just saw your white text. To be honest I think
Didn't say this before but I was secretly hoping you focused all your attempts in the summer on signing Zlatan (too old for the PL) Pogba (too not needed) and Miki (too injury prone). Prevented you from signing the right shaped pegs instead.

The other opinion is if Zlatan is rested then Rooney walks back into the first team. No club rests BOTH players on 300k a week. That's fraud.
Way too early to judge Pogba, who is exactly what we needed and still improving, and Mhiki. Zlatan was only going to be one season.

I really doubt rivals actually hoped we would sign all 3, that just makes zero sense.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
If it diverted your attentions from proper targets then it was the more acceptable of the Hobson's (?) choice on offer. Griezemann as already mentioned would have scared me a lot more, for example.

Yagami

Good post resistant
True but Burnley are terrible away from home, that should have been one of the easiest wins all season.
I agree but, to be fair, I've seen us play a lot worse opposition these past few years and put in some terrible performances regardless so, even though I'm kind of reaching, I'll praise this game as much as I can. :p

Easy for me. If Liverpool were playing aliens for the fate of the Earth, I would support the aliens.
It'd be like that Looney Tunes movies "Space Jam" with Michael Jordan except this time we'd be rooting for the nerdlucks!

Will Singh

We will easily finish in the top 4, we are playing good football and creating chances. This is our rough patch that all teams will go through....

Green_Red

This is an interesting one.. considering I was one of his critics before he joined, but Jose will get us top 4 this season.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Way too early to judge Pogba, who is exactly what we needed and still improving, and Mhiki. Zlatan was only going to be one season.

I really doubt rivals actually hoped we would sign all 3, that just makes zero sense.
I was worried when you got Pogba and Mhik.

Zlatan didn't worry me too much, I had my doubts. But yeah, 2/3 made me pee a little.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Mourinho purposely got himself touchline banned for the Arse game because he realizes this team is a work in progress and doesn't want to have to deal with Wenger's smugness at beating him...

Obviously this is tongue in cheek, but in a weird way, I could almost imagine Jose doing this!

ShoePolish

Mkhitaryan is simply not good enough to walk into the first team and not a ballon d'or material as half the caf thinks.

JohnnyLaw

Mkhitaryan is simply not good enough to walk into the first team and not a ballon d'or material as half the caf thinks.
As if that were what it takes to get into our first team. A team which regularly features the likes of Lingard, Fellaini etc.. Let's actually watch him play for us before judging him. And I can't imagine that anyone on here has claimed that he was "ballon d'or material".

ShoePolish

As if that were what it takes to get into our first team. A team which regularly features the likes of Lingard, Fellaini etc.. Let's actually watch him play for us before judging him. And I can't imagine that anyone on here has claimed that he was "ballon d'or material".
Most people seem to think he's one of our best attackers despite featuring in what? 3 games? And you're basically just not getting my point - large number of posters think Mourinho is an idiot for not playing him, although they've only seen him in those 3 games.

JohnnyLaw

Most people seem to think he's one of our best attackers despite featuring in what? 3 games? And you're basically just not getting my point - large number of posters think Mourinho is an idiot for not playing him, although they've only seen him in those 3 games.
Yeah, it's fecking shocking that people believe that last years Bundesliga player of the year and our 35 million pound signing should be getting a chance over the likes of Mata, or Lingard on the right. Let alone get into the match-day squad over Young and Memphis. You do realise he's 27 years old, right? He's had a career before United even though you might've missed it.

Drz

I guess it is unpopular to think that last year's top scorer should probably start considering how profligate we have been in front of goal.

ShoePolish

Yeah, it's fecking shocking that people believe that last years Bundesliga player of the year and our 35 million pound signing should be getting a chance over the likes of Mata, or Lingard on the right. Let alone get into the match-day squad over Young and Memphis. You do realise he's 27 years old, right? He's had a career before United even though you might've missed it.
Mata was Chelseas poty for 2 seasons running before joining us and yet most games went into hiding before this season. You tell me to not judge him too hastily, yet claim he's better than those players based on his past achievments in a different team with a different setup. Nice one. Memphis was poty in Eredivisie, Zlatan was poty in France. Also, players price tag doesn't always reflect their ability.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

You must be some kind of foresight legend, if you truly believed that signing the best players from France, Italy and Germany wouldn't be wise moves for us :lol::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yeah, he was only voted best player in that tiny backwater league in Germany. Definitely wise to keep him benched in favour of a rookie striker out of position and erm Lingard.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football

Interesting. If you consider Mkhitaryan injury prone, I better don't ask your definition of it. :wenger:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/henrikh-mkhitaryan/verletzungen/spieler/55735

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Mata was Chelseas poty for 2 seasons running before joining us and yet most games went into hiding before this season. You tell me to not judge him too hastily, yet claim he's better than those players based on his past achievments in a different team with a different setup. Nice one. Memphis was poty in Eredivisie, Zlatan was poty in France. Also, players price tag doesn't always reflect their ability.
Have you even watched Mkhitaryan play before he joined United?

I never actually claimed that he was better (he can't actually be worse thiugh, can he?) but it's not even a question about quality at this stage because the competition for our wings is so extremely poor for a club of our status. None of our wingers can string two good performances together. Yet the manager won't even bring his own big-name signing who he desperately bought for a big fee in spite of the fact that he only had a year left on his contract? There's no excuse for Mourinho in this case and he actually looks dumber by not playing him while the team continues to drop more and more points.

Do you really believe that in a different team/set-up Lingard could've been a player of the year in any of the leagues you mentioned?

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Ibra is too old and will continue to disappoint and tank to new lows after Christmas

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Ibra is going to China in January and Rooney will start again booming as a central striker.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You must be some kind of foresight legend, if you truly believed that signing the best players from France, Italy and Germany wouldn't be wise moves for us :lol::lol:
Managers must have a style of play then sign players that fit that style. Otherwise it's just a mish mash. We all know Mourinho's style and a 35 year old legend would be as much fit as a currently aged, but Utd and PL legend nevertheless, Rooney.

Pogba's a good player but hardly one ready made for the PL in a team finding its style. Ironic as he left both the same team and country. He needs time to bed in, something the other top four clubs aren't giving you/him. I would have been more fearful if Jose started the season with Martial up front and Mata and Rashford behind.

The pain points are clearly showing, not that I'm complaining.

Haddock

We are cursed and it will be 24 years before we win another title. Meanwhile Liverpool will win this year and Klopp will become the new Ferguson. History repeats itself.

Dominos

We take too many potshots from distance - most of the time unrealistic distance, when there are opposition players blatantly stood in the way and when the ball isn't even set right for a shot.

In the 93rd minute against Burnley was it Rojo who blasted the ball over the bar from 45 yards? It's embarassing how often this happens in football. What does Rojo think of his skillset that he fancies himself to beat the keeper from 40 yards? When we're chasing a game he decides rather than try create an actual goalscoring chance he'll just give the ball back to the opposition instead. Pogba is making a habit of halting our attacks at least 3 times a game by shooting from 40 yards when the shot isn't even on, gets blasted over the bar or blocked and it's another attack ruined. His goal against Fener is a perfect example of when you should shoot from outside the box, not too far, a clear gap so it wont get blocked and set up perfectly for him.

The annoying thing is this is surely the easiest problem in the world for a manager to resolve. "So lads, instead of shooting from unrealistic distances how about we try create some chances instead yeah?" When Rojo blasts the ball over the bar from 40 yards the first thing that could be said in the dressing room is "Marcos, what the feck was that? Don't do that again. No one ever do that again".

I remember Neville mentioning in his analysis of Liverpool-Chelsea where Gerrard slipped that Liverpool did a horrible job in chasing the game with all the hopeful long range shots. I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I felt like having a moan about it somewhere and I never see it mentioned, people seem to like us having a pop at goal no matter how low % the move is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We take too many potshots from distance - most of the time unrealistic distance, when there are opposition players blatantly stood in the way and when the ball isn't even set right for a shot.

In the 93rd minute against Burnley was it Rojo who blasted the ball over the bar from 45 yards? It's embarassing how often this happens in football. What does Rojo think of his skillset that he fancies himself to beat the keeper from 40 yards? When we're chasing a game he decides rather than try create an actual goalscoring chance he'll just give the ball back to the opposition instead. Pogba is making a habit of halting our attacks at least 3 times a game by shooting from 40 yards when the shot isn't even on, gets blasted over the bar or blocked and it's another attack ruined. His goal against Fener is a perfect example of when you should shoot from outside the box, not too far, a clear gap so it wont get blocked and set up perfectly for him.

The annoying thing is this is surely the easiest problem in the world for a manager to resolve. "So lads, instead of shooting from unrealistic distances how about we try create some chances instead yeah?" When Rojo blasts the ball over the bar from 40 yards the first thing that could be said in the dressing room is "Marcos, what the feck was that? Don't do that again. No one ever do that again".

I remember Neville mentioning in his analysis of Liverpool-Chelsea where Gerrard slipped that Liverpool did a horrible job in chasing the game with all the hopeful long range shots. I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I felt like having a moan about it somewhere and I never see it mentioned, people seem to like us having a pop at goal no matter how low % the move is.
Agree to some extent.
But i'd prefer a shoot on sight policy than what happened at my other club Wycombe under John Gregory.

He actually fined players from shooting from outside the box!

Rojo should have been fined for that one though. Storming them with pressure, couple of mins to go, and he thinks he'll score a lifetime worldy!

Dominos

Agree to some extent.
But i'd prefer a shoot on sight policy than what happened at my other club Wycombe under John Gregory.

He actually fined players from shooting from outside the box!

Rojo should have been fined for that one though. Storming them with pressure, couple of mins to go, and he thinks he'll score a lifetime worldy!
:lol:

That's funny because to be honest I've often sat there watching our games telling whoever is watching with me that I'd happily fine a player every time they blast one over the bar from distance. It's so unbelievably frustrating.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Which 3 games did he play in?
MCFC was his last game.
Which were the other 2?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
- I want a return to 4-4-2 for home games, and 4-4-1-1 for away.
- Two up front, Rashford and Martial (the new Yorke and Cole).
- I don't like inverted wingers. I like wide players to get in around the outside mostly to stretch play.
- Unlike the rest of the Caf, I'd like to see us sign a left footed, left winger.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
- I want a return to 4-4-2 for home games, and 4-4-1-1 for away.
- Two up front, Rashford and Martial (the new Yorke and Cole).
- I don't like inverted wingers. I like wide players to get in around the outside mostly to stretch play.
- Unlike the rest of the Caf, I'd like to see us sign a left footed, left winger.
Fergie football isn't coming back, he was getting blood out of a stone with it and even he realised we needed to move away from a traditional 4-4-2, it's archaic. look at the game tonight, the high press, the battle in midifeld, we play with two strikers we get steam rollered.

Bwuk

Schweinsteiger will become a starter for United before the season ends.

dakingpin1999

utd have spent so much money over the past 3 years and hired two top coaches in lvg and Jose yet we are going to finish 5th-7th and Utd look a mess. Beginning of every season since sir Alex's retirement I get optimistic and then we have to go through the same rubbish again. Utd shouldn't be in this position and I have never seen a club spend so much money and be so bad and seem so far away. I just pray and hope Utd get back to where they belong as I do not see how we can get there. Utd have Spent money, got top managers, good youth players, best supporters, best revenue etc yet utd are a state and it bloody hurts seeing utd in this position. hope everything falls into place some how. sorry lads I've been truly effected by our league form over the last month or so, and seeing our top signings not up to scratch and Jose although the right man is having a melt down and on top of that seeing our rivals all up there and getting results.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Pogba wanders forward though. Whoever partnered him would get absolutely destroyed as a result.
Isn't that just a question of tactics and coaching? Not trying to say Pogba is Scholes, but Scholes started as a striker and was famous for his late runs into the box. I honestly wouldn't see any issue with Pobga playing in a two with a dynamic partner. But I guess that's why this is an unpopular opinions thread.

I'd also like to prioritize quick transitions to the flanks, with an emphasis on real width. I think football has become way too complicated. I'd like to see fast, wide football with an emphasis on good delivery. The amount of second balls that Pogba would get to, would make him a real threat in such a system.

I'd also like central defenders who can defend, and who are physically imposing.

TL;DR - Build me a time machine, I want to go back 15 years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You're right. The player of the year in the bundesliga last season, the guy that got a ridiculous number of goals and assists in all comps isn't a better player then Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Ashley Young, whoever the feck else we have. Even Martial. Huge potential, and class on his day, but not on Miki's level. At least not that of last season. Nobody is saying ballon d'or material. But what he is, is capable of reaching the level of the top premier league play makers. De Bruyne, Silva, Ozil, Hazard, etc.. He is brilliant at his best and he's being wasted right now.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
You're right. The player of the year in the bundesliga last season, the guy that got a ridiculous number of goals and assists in all comps isn't a better player then Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Ashley Young, whoever the feck else we have. Even Martial. Huge potential, and class on his day, but not on Miki's level. At least not that of last season. Nobody is saying ballon d'or material. But what he is, is capable of reaching the level of the top premier league play makers. De Bruyne, Silva, Ozil, Hazard, etc.. He is brilliant at his best and he's being wasted right now.
Very eloquently said.

Status
Not open for further replies.