The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno

Phil Jones is one of the most underrated players I've ever seen (I'm 38 now). Some lavish praise from Fergie (best since Duncan Edwards) and some dodgy images of his strange faces have not done him any favours...but players should be judged independently on the pitch only and from years of watching him, I feel he always puts in a stellar defensive performance and it's always worth noting that whichever striker he is tasked with taking care of in a game, never gets a sniff. I've even seen him mark Ronaldo out of a game.

He is just a brilliant reader of the game and a beast of a defender who is now getting a run of games under Mourinho's approach (who has an amazing history of keeping players fit). He will be a United and England regular for the next 8-years and in about three years time everyone will be talking about Phil Jones as if they never once slagged him between the years 2014-2017.

Great defenders like Gary Pallister, Tony Adams, John Terry,Rio Ferdinand...they all get slagged when they're 23/24 but when they reach peak age (26-32) they become greats and people forget they used to criticise them. Jones will be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. Amazing centre-half. We're so lucky to have him. I have no doubts about this opinion whatsoever.
I completely back this opinion, great post. Centre backs are nutoriously inconsistent and written off in their early 20s all the time. Then when they enter their late 20s they get this air of maturity about them. Jones and Mourinho are a match made in heaven.

LeftyBlaster

People are forgetting that even the Manager needs time to settle even though he has managed in the PL for quite a few seasons. Our club is completely different from the club he managed before with a different set of expectations and philosophy to match to.

Given that, I believe Mourinho has done a brilliant job till now marrying his way of working with how United fans want the team to play. It's clear as daylight that he values being a part of our legacy and is trying his best to make it work long term here. It's not just another job for him.
Yep

gajender

Though Chelsea are on course to win the title this season I still believe their Summer transfer window was quite underwhelming and after next 2 summer transfer windows I am of firm opinion none of the last summer's acquisitions would remain their first team regular.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Though Chelsea are on course to win the title this season I still believe their Summer transfer window was quite underwhelming and after next 2 summer transfer windows I am of firm opinion none of the last summer's acquisitions would remain their first team regular.
Not even Kante?

gajender

Not even Kante?
Yes not even Kante he has been mostly poor in big games for Chelsea but as Chelsea ended up winning few of them like against City and Tottenham he has escaped greater scrutiny.

He is bit like Herrera in a sense that supporters tend to overrate their contribution to the cause because they bring energy to the team but they are not indispensable and can be upgraded if you have the means.

Anyways I don't think he was even first choice option for Conte during last Summer window so I can definitely see Conte trying to bring an Upgrade coming summer itself.

Philadelphian

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

All of those players walk into and improve our first XI. Which is why we are in 6th.

Lentwood

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

All of those players walk into and improve our first XI. Which is why we are in 6th.
It's called the 'unpopular opinion thread' not the 'ridiculous opinion thread'

I don't agree, but even if I did I would still not see the point you are trying to make by listing 6 attacking midfielders who you believe would get in our side

NK86

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

Who would Pedro or Sterling replace which would make us better? Agree with the other four but off those, 2 are world class and 2 potentially in tue future so it's not really unpopular as such.

Philadelphian

Who would Pedro or Sterling replace which would make us better? Agree with the other four but off those, 2 are world class and 2 potentially in tue future so it's not really unpopular as such.
Pedro and Sterling give us width, pace and creativity that none of our players have. Same as Mane.

Philadelphian

It's called the 'unpopular opinion thread' not the 'ridiculous opinion thread'

I don't agree, but even if I did I would still not see the point you are trying to make by listing 6 attacking midfielders who you believe would get in our side
That our wide players aren't as good as the teams we are chasing.

NK86

Pedro and Sterling give us width, pace and creativity that none of our players have. Same as Mane.
Pedro doesn't give us much pace. And he won't displace Mkhi or Mata. Sterling is very profligate and doesn't really do enough defensive work.

3KDré

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

I disagree. Give it a year or two and Mkhitaryan/Pogba/Martial will be just as good if not better than them.

Our reason for not being 6th is nothing but a lack of fluidity in the team caused by too much rotation, poor mentality and a lack of a consistent first XI

Philadelphian

Pedro doesn't give us much pace. And he won't displace Mkhi or Mata. Sterling is very profligate and doesn't really do enough defensive work.
I mean that's just wrong. He would be as fast or faster than Valencia, and he would actually be able to get to the touchline and cross. We can do neither currently. From either side.

NK86

I mean that's just wrong. He would be as fast or faster than Valencia, and he would actually be able to get to the touchline and cross. We can do neither currently. From either side.
No he is not as fast or faster than Valencia and no he won't make us better.

Philadelphian

I didn't say we'll get him or we should go after him now (missed our chance) but Valencia, or any of our RW's for that matter, are not in the same conversation as him when it comes to effectiveness and end product.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Was fairly crap last year. This year he's been good, nothing more. He's not even been that good to be flavour of the month. Pointless discussion.

Philadelphian

Was fairly crap last year. This year he's been good, nothing more. He's not even been that good to be flavour of the month. Pointless discussion.
He would undoubtedly bring something to our team that we don't have. And forget just Pedro I mean any player like him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think this is unpopular enough. Have been thinking about this for a while, I think we should do better than Herrera. He's not so technical, his passing and vision are so so, skill passable, shooting is even worse. He's not a great tackler. When he foul people, he make it so obvious; compared to many genuine destroyer/B2B type who can do it 'clean'.

Within Mou system, I think finding a better B2B/destroyer type is more important than finding Carrick successor.

Philadelphian

I think an in-form Martial brings us that.
Well, Martial can potentially do something similar to what Hazard does for Chelsea. That's nothing close to what Pedro does from the right - width, smart runs off the ball, getting in behind, precise crossing, unselfish play, consistent finishing. No one on our team has that set of skills. We play 10s out on the right.

SirScholes

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

Hahaha you pick the best players from the leagues top teams of course they will walk into our team.
Pedro not so sure we have mhiki but the others are top class players.
I believe this post is called stating the obvious

SirScholes

I think this is unpopular enough. Have been thinking about this for a while, I think we should do better than Herrera. He's not so technical, his passing and vision are so so, skill passable, shooting is even worse. He's not a great tackler. When he foul people, he make it so obvious; compared to many genuine destroyer/B2B type who can do it 'clean'.

Within Mou system, I think finding a better B2B/destroyer type is more important than finding Carrick successor.
I don't disagree just think there are bigger issues. Priotising a carrick replacement should be mission 1, a mobile carrick and 75% of our problems would be solved

204Red

Mane
Pedro
Hazard
Sanchez
Coutinho
De Bruyne
Sterling

Really now

You have cherry picked the best player(s) on the top four teams (two of whom - Sanchez and Hazard might be the top two players in the league) and suggested that adding some of them would improve us. Take a bow. Great analysis.

I heard us linked to Pedro and Hazard in the past... but other than Sanchez - who is probably just angling for a new contract, how many of those players would be considered a realistic transfer target right now?

Philadelphian

Really now

You have cherry picked the best player(s) on the top four teams (two of whom - Sanchez and Hazard might be the top two players in the league) and suggested that adding some of them would improve us. Take a bow. Great analysis.

I heard us linked to Pedro and Hazard in the past... but other than Sanchez - who is probably just angling for a new contract, how many of those players would be considered a realistic transfer target right now?
I said that all of the players listed would walk into our team. Some are obvious, yes, but the overall point is that our attack is not as good as the team ahead of us. And most here would have you believe it is.

Philadelphian

Hahaha you pick the best players from the leagues top teams of course they will walk into our team.
Pedro not so sure we have mhiki but the others are top class players.
I believe this post is called stating the obvious
I was stating that we have the 6th best attack in the league. If everyone here agrees then it's obvious. I got the impression most don't agree with that.

SirScholes

I was stating that we have the 6th best attack in the league. If everyone here agrees then it's obvious. I got the impression most don't agree with that.
But you only named 4 clubs.
When we were winning titles all those clubs had players that would walk into our team.

zeekey

Papers and radio raving about Martial's performance yesterday.

I thought he was largely anonymous and when he did get the ball gave it away.

Robbie Boy

Papers and radio raving about Martial's performance yesterday.

I thought he was largely anonymous and when he did get the ball gave it away.
He was rubbish in the first half but showed glimpses of his enormous potential in the second culminating in two assists. It certainly wasn't a flawless second half as he still lost possession a-few times far too easily and took the wrong option a couple of times. Still though, he got two assists and caused Wigan plenty of problems.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No wonder this is the unpopular opinion thread when we're saying we want the likes of Hulk, Pedro or Sterling in the side.

They're all shite.

Philadelphian

Oops I left out Eriksen/Alli, both of whom are proving more effective than our counterparts. Oh yea, and our past manager/teams means nothing when talking about our current attack and manager and position in the table.

SirScholes

Oops I left out Eriksen/Alli, both of whom are proving more effective than our counterparts. Oh yea, and our past manager/teams means nothing when talking about our current attack and manager and position in the table.
You're the one claiming it's the attack.

we equally have players who would walk into their teams so this isn't so much an unpopular opinion more a pointless opinion

Philadelphian

You're the one claiming it's the attack.

we equally have players who would walk into their teams so this isn't so much an unpopular opinion more a pointless opinion
Ah, I guess I could pivot to a different point then - that our manager isn't the one that's going to lift a less than stellar attack to the title.

Drz

He was rubbish in the first half but showed glimpses of his enormous potential in the second culminating in two assists. It certainly wasn't a flawless second half as he still lost possession a-few times far too easily and took the wrong option a couple of times. Still though, he got two assists and caused Wigan plenty of problems.
Given the support he had in midfield no surprise he was absent in the first half. I felt the team was thoroughly outplayed in the first 45mins, and given Martial had to rely on a semi-retired player (Schweiny), Fellaini and Rooney (not even a pro-athlete in my book); there was no way he was going to get decent service or someone picking out his runs. We then switched to Rooney up top and Martial on the left of midfield where he was able to contribute.

Robbie Boy

Given the support he had in midfield no surprise he was absent in the first half. I felt the team was thoroughly outplayed in the first 45mins, and given Martial had to rely on a semi-retired player (Schweiny), Fellaini and Rooney (not even a pro-athlete in my book); there was no way he was going to get decent service or someone picking out his runs. We then switched to Rooney up top and Martial on the left of midfield where he was able to contribute.
Yeah the whole team was wank in the first half for sure.

SirScholes

Ah, I guess I could pivot to a different point then - that our manager isn't the one that's going to lift a less than stellar attack to the title.
Or that the players needed time to gel Jose needed time to get his strategy across and remove the negative approach lvg drummed into the squad for 2 seasons.
No doubt we are playing better than we were at the start.

I think everyone would agree we are short of a couple of players but I think mhiki Zlatan mata martial, at least one would get into every single team in the league.

I think we lack depth in cm so when carrick isn't playing we have to ask pogba to play every single position in midfield.
The drop in quality when you remove carrick pogba or Herrera is frightening.
Havin to play rashford and lingard on the wings has hurt us as well.

We lack quality squad players, our first 11 is a match for anyone in the league

Frank Grimes

Martial gave away the ball with his first two touches in the game and then hit a shit cross out of play. Can't blame anyone but himself for that.

Drz

Martial gave away the ball with his first two touches in the game and then hit a shit cross out of play. Can't blame anyone but himself for that.
Ok I somehow missed that. But that's 3 times in 45 minutes, I really didn't feel he got anything worthwhile to work with in the 1st half, in fact I remember us barely having the ball. Going to rewatch this one, particularly the first half, because I felt we were totally outplayed in midfield and Fellaini's goal really helped a lot because we were not the best team on the pitch when that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.