The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolverine

New England journal publication yesterday
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108891

Pertaining to delta variant

Protection against symptomatic disease
  • AZ one dose - 30%
  • AZ two doses - 67%
  • Pfizer one dose - 36%
  • Pfizer two doses - 88%
Data was collected after 14 days post second dose so perhaps AZ two-dose efficacy might be higher with time. Will be interested to see Israeli data vs delta (a lot of stuff in the press recently but none that I could find in a proper study/scientific publication type) and whether our extended dosing interval between two doses has had an effect regarding delta possibly.

To note also previous data against severe disease/hospitalisation of which AZ and pfizer both perform quite well according to public health england.
https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view_file/479607329?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_v2WsRK3ZlEig_redirect=https://khub.net:443/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view/479607266

Protection against hospitalisation
  • AZ one dose - 71%
  • AZ two doses - 92%
  • Pfizer one dose - 94%
  • Pfizer two doses - 96%
Reinforces point about maximising people getting vaccinated, with either one, and both jabs as quickly as possible. The hospital clinical endpoint is really the thing that should concern us. Delta is a bastard but the vaccines luckily hold up just about enough against being life threatening

From a case rate point of view, I don't believe many are in the AZ one dose category (majority of the elderly who've received it have had two jabs of it), there were a decent amount of 16-64 clinically vulnerable but they were high in the JCVI priority list so we've given them their second AZ a month or so ago. And younger patients without any significant comorbidities in UK recently vaccinated have been Pfizer or Moderna.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
My 18 yo daughter just got her first Pfizer jab and within 15 minutes she's got most of her old long covid symptoms attacking her. Along with dizziness.

Fatigue, chest pains, uncomfortable feelings in limbs, squeezing head. Not severe but disconcerting nevertheless. I'm glad in a way because it's showing how much of the virus continued to survive even after she felt 95% better from her year-long long covid. Scientists for the win!

For those hesitant after reading the above, it should serve as a stark reminder what a bastard this virus is. Even after 15 months it's festered in my daughter. Get that jab and don't delay.

decorativeed

You can still catch Covid and can still spread it even if you have had the vaccine. If that one person wants to be at a higher risk to their health, then why does it matter to everyone else?
But your chances are much reduced. You understand that a 20% chance of catching it is better than a 100% chance, right?

Carolina Red

Staff
My 18 yo daughter just got her first Pfizer jab and within 15 minutes she's got most of her old long covid symptoms attacking her. Along with dizziness.

Fatigue, chest pains, uncomfortable feelings in limbs, squeezing head. Not severe but disconcerting nevertheless. I'm glad in a way because it's showing how much of the virus continued to survive even after she felt 95% better from her year-long long covid. Scientists for the win!

For those hesitant after reading the above, it should serve as a stark reminder what a bastard this virus is. Even after 15 months it's festered in my daughter. Get that jab and don't delay.
It’s not the virus still in her. It’s her immune system reacting to something it’s seen before.

lynchie

And so it came to pass... As I suspected, participation in the Novavax clinical trial means that while my NHS Pass now shows me as fully vaccinated for UK domestic events and for foreign travel, reality says something different.

I contacted the Irish Embassy in London this morning and they confirm that they're only accepting the EU approved vaccines. Which means that if I travel I'll need a PCR test and to go into (home) quarantine on arrival.

One thing that some in the UK might find helpful is this list of acceptable vaccines from their email to me:
2 doses of Pfizer-BioNtech Vaccine: BNT162b2 (Comirnaty®) + 7 days

2 doses of Moderna Vaccine: CX-024414 (Moderna®) + 14 days

2 doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine: ChAdOx1-SARS-COV-2 (Vaxzevria® or Covishield) + 15 days

1 dose of Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Vaccine: Ad26.COV2-S [recombinant] (Janssen®) + 14 days

Covishield is the India made version of the Oxford/AZ. Good to see that it's been accepted.

@lynchie - I guess this may affect you as well, or have you been able to switch to an approved vaccine?
That's a bummer. I think it's no more than 50/50 whether I see my parents this year. Haven't seen my dad in person since 2019, and with France now amber+ for whatever reason, even though we're all fully vaccinated, it'd still cost a load in tests and we'd be knocking about the house quarantined either way.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Gamma variant knocking about now.
More like gammon variant, am I right?

Not the first nor the last and when you think about how his ignorance has left his family without a son, sibling, cousin etc you realise how this isn't something to be laughed at.

I think I've heard "oh we thought it was just a hoax" too many times now and I don't work at a hospital.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There must be so many people like this. I was reading an article in The Guardian today from the USA, the doctor was saying people are begging him to give them the Covid vaccine just before they get intubated.

I mean, they refused to have it but they don't even know how it works and what it does. It's like they think it's a medicine that'll make you better after the fact.

edit - I just had a look at that guy's tweets, going back a while and during his illness. It's illuminating.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's a bummer. I think it's no more than 50/50 whether I see my parents this year. Haven't seen my dad in person since 2019, and with France now amber+ for whatever reason, even though we're all fully vaccinated, it'd still cost a load in tests and we'd be knocking about the house quarantined either way.
It sucks but what can we do? I haven't seen my now 22 year old son since he flew back to Uni in the US on 2nd Jan 2020 and that sucks dog balls.

@jojojo 's situation doubly sucks as she is being punished for taking one for the team. I'm assuming that she also isn't allowed to get another approved vaccination.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It sucks but what can we do? I haven't seen my now 22 year old son since he flew back to Uni in the US on 2nd Jan 2020 and that sucks dog balls.

@jojojo 's situation doubly sucks as she is being punished for taking one for the team. I'm assuming that she also isn't allowed to get another approved vaccination.
Is he an Olympian yet?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is he an Olympian yet?
Nope although his mate who he played with for Australia at the Youth and Junior World Water Polo Championships did make it to Tokyo. He was in the program but essentially in the Sharks A team and knowing he had no real chance of this Olympic cycle (as a centre forward you rarely get picked before you are 25) went to the US on a sports scholarship for 4 years. When he comes back at the end of next year he will play a season of National League here in Sydney and see if the new AU coach (whoever that is) has him in his plans and then if not probably move oversea to play pro for a while.

lynchie

The UK could accept double vaccinated travellers from France without added quarantine, as with all other amber list countries, or France could recognise my fully vaccinated status from the Valneva trial. There's no good reason for either of those things not to happen except bureaucracy.

Dan_F

I feel for you. My partner hasn’t been home since Jan 20, even that was lucky as we’d have normally gone at Easter time, so it could have been as long as summer 19. In that time there’s been some good and bad life milestones that have been missed, which I’m sure is the same for many.

I understand why they put tourism first, but it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth to see certain countries on a green list, when smaller countries with lower rates are amber.

saivet

Is it possible to go to a walk in centre and get a second dose in less than 8 weeks since your first one? If so, is it even wise to do so? I'm attending a wedding in a few weeks and I'd feel better about attending if I had both doses prior, rather than the day after.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The UK could accept double vaccinated travellers from France without added quarantine, as with all other amber list countries, or France could recognise my fully vaccinated status from the Valneva trial. There's no good reason for either of those things not to happen except bureaucracy.
I think we'll see the UK policy change to accepting all EU double vax certificates as meaning "no quarantine."

I view what the UK are doing at the moment as no more than political theatre to show that they're trying to do something. The actual policy is, "look you're either catching covid or you're getting vaccinated and we don't care which." Unfortunately for some unlucky people it'll be both and for others there won't be a choice, because they can't take the vaccine.

Will we see it changed for trialists? It's a tricky one. I think the NHS/MHRA can be trusted and they say I'm double vaxxed - so I'd like other countries to agree :smirk: Would I offer the same blanket acceptance to the million or so soldiers that China put in its vaccine trial last summer, or some of the so called trials of vaccines, off label drugs, herbal remedies conducted around the globe - not really, I'm far too cynical (nationalistic?) for that.

I suspect we'll both be waiting for the MHRA (at least) to approve the vaccines we've taken. Hopefully there will be a deal on accepting each others approvals, and we can get brought back into normal society at that point!

Santos J

Is it possible to go to a walk in centre and get a second dose in less than 8 weeks since your first one? If so, is it even wise to do so? I'm attending a wedding in a few weeks and I'd feel better about attending if I had both doses prior, rather than the day after.
You in the UK?

It is a technical issue around GDPR. To verify somebody's vaccination status the UK needs access to their personal data. Because of GDPR, the EU cannot share the personal data within the QR code without consent. I know somebody involved with the working group setup to fix it.

Santos J

Yeah I'm in the UK. Have a walk in centre a 5 min walk away too
Rang one to ask the same about getting mine before the 8 weeks it's booked at and they said while they advise to stick to the 8 week gap if you turn up later in the day and it's not busy they wouldn't turn me away if there was still availability. Not had chance yet and my 2nd is on the 6th August so probably just end up waiting now but I know of others who got theirs early and others who were turned away so seems to just be at the vaccination centre's discretion to a certaint extent. If you've got the time then it could be worth going down an hour or so before they close and just chancing it, could say you can't make the day of your booking anymore and it's not given you any alternative dates without having to cancel.
As above I don't think there's a definitive yes/no answer you'll get but if you have the time it could be worth trying

saivet

As above I don't think there's a definitive yes/no answer you'll get but if you have the time it could be worth trying
Cheers mate, I'll probably give it a try then since it's hardly out the way for me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A nice graphic from the FT explaining why a lot of the people in hospital in the UK have been vaccinated (and why the situation would look different in a country where fewer people were vaccinated)

The figures they use for vaccine effectiveness are the ones that the NHS have calculated for Delta.

For a quick explanation of how stats people calculate effectiveness by using hospitals data try:

The "real" calculation is more complex, because they analyse age groups as they work - and vaccination rates in the over 70s (the highest risk groups) are very high.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A cautionary tale for the unvaxxed over 40s in particular.

Incidentally, men are at higher risk than women when it comes to covid, but remain less likely to get vaccinated.

Ethnicity remains a factor in take-up as well.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Most ill I ever felt, although I've never had flu. Got up in the night to get some paracetamol and my whole body was shaking. Lasted about 36 hours for me but went away almost all at once.
I’m trying to muster enough energy to walk a couple of minutes to the pub for a Sunday roast. My instinct says that’s the cure.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Getting my first dose tomorrow. The two anti-vaxers I work with are convinced I'm gonna be sterile, blind and/or dead within two years.

I'm close to making a complaint about them just for the needless thoughts they put in my head. Pair of rancid cockwarts.

Andersonson

Getting my first dose tomorrow. The two anti-vaxers I work with are convinced I'm gonna be sterile, blind and/or dead within two years.

I'm close to making a complaint about them just for the needless thoughts they put in my head. Pair of rancid cockwarts.
Good for you! Just had my first Moderna, felt some tiny pain in the arm - thats all

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Moderna second jab is no joke. Feel like I’ve got the flu.
Most ill I ever felt, although I've never had flu. Got up in the night to get some paracetamol and my whole body was shaking. Lasted about 36 hours for me but went away almost all at once.
I’ve heard a few different docs speculate that response to the vaccine is a good proxy for how sick you’d get from covid. So anyone who gets flattened after their vaccine would likely end up in hospital from the virus. Conversely, if you barely notice the vaccine you’d have barely noticed covid. So you can savour those symptoms in the knowledge they’ve helped you dodge a bullet!

Classical Mechanic

I’ve heard a few different docs speculate that response to the vaccine is a good proxy for how sick you’d get from covid. So anyone who gets flattened after their vaccine would likely end up in hospital from the virus. Conversely, if you barely notice the vaccine you’d have barely noticed covid. So you can savour those symptoms in the knowledge they’ve helped you dodge a bullet!
I prefer the incredible immune system theory personally!

Obviously this is anecdotal and not worth much but neither of my parents had any response to either of their vaccines whilst both me and one of my brothers had a really strong response to it. My parents are late 60s, both with type 2 diabetes and are overweight whilst I don't think me or my brother have missed a single day of work through illness in about 20 years combined, it seems the wrong way round to me!