g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Panda

Sorry to hear about what happened, but good to hearthat you're on the mend. Can I ask, how long ago did you get the jab? Are you home now?
Thanks Jojojo that's good of you. I had the first jab in mid Feb. The ITP (immune thrombocytopenia purpura) started up about a month later. I looked so bad with the huge bruises, most people swore when they saw them. A journey of loads of blood tests and haematologist appointments started which are still going on now. Btw I went ahead with the second jab.
I'm now on a drug that stimulates my bone marrow to produce more platelets and also a big dose of steroids.

Last edited:

Bratt

Had my second jab early this morning, don’t feel a thing as of now. Didn’t feel a thing after the first dose either, so hoping it stays this way.

@Pogue Mahone or others who know, what’s your take on mixing vaccines?
My first dose was Pfizer, at june 24th - my second was moderna, given today.
FHI (norwegian health organisation) says it’s just as good as having two shots of one type of vaccine, but I’m curious to what others think.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Had the second Pfizer jab yesterday afternoon. Woke up feeling like I had an all-time awful hangover and I'd been beaten by a load of lads with sticks.

mav_9me

Had my second jab early this morning, don’t feel a thing as of now. Didn’t feel a thing after the first dose either, so hoping it stays this way.

FHI (norwegian health organisation) says it’s just as good as having two shots of one type of vaccine, but I’m curious to what others think.
As far as I know there is no data on that. In theory I dont see an issue.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The only data I’ve seen on mixing vacccines has shown, if anything, improved efficacy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

FAO any Americans with conservative/right leaning vaccine sceptic friends. Sam Harris has become a bit of a darling of the right (even though he would hate to be called that) but this is a superb listen to convince us of the benefits of vaccination. So might be a useful tool in your arsenal to try and get them to see sense.

Maxii

Paad
After the first Pfizer jab I had nothing but a bit of a sore arm. Got the second one and same thing, arm wasn’t even sore the next day. Thought I was in the clear but on the second and now third day I’ve been hit with the flu and my girlfriend who got it on the same day is worse than me.

Dreading going to bed tonight because last night was hell, but hoping we both wake up feeling better tomorrow morning!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thanks Jojojo that's good of you. I had the first jab in mid Feb. The ITP (immune thrombocytopenia purpura) started up about a month later. I looked so bad with the huge bruises, most people swore when they saw them. A journey of loads of blood tests and haematologist appointments started which are still going on now. Btw I went ahead with the second jab.
I'm now on a drug that stimulates my bone marrow to produce more platelets and also a big dose of steroids.
Brave decision. Thanks for protecting the rest of us. Hope you fully recover soon.

Infra-red

FAO any Americans with conservative/right leaning vaccine sceptic friends. Sam Harris has become a bit of a darling of the right (even though he would hate to be called that) but this is a superb listen to convince us of the benefits of vaccination. So might be a useful tool in your arsenal to try and get them to see sense.
Thanks. Enjoyed that. Seems Harris has fallen out with a number of his former friends in the last 9 months over his pro-vaccine stance (the likes of Maajid Nawaz and Bret Weinstein have completely disappeared down the looney anti-vaxx rabbit hole).

Mike Smalling

I'm not getting it. Wouldn't wanna turn into a zombie like in 'I am Legend'.

Seriously, some people are too stupid for this world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not getting it. Wouldn't wanna turn into a zombie like in 'I am Legend'.

Seriously, some people are too stupid for this world.
Obviously anyone who uses sci fi movies to make decisions about their health is too stupid for words but, strictly speaking, some of these vaccines do involve injecting you with a “genetically reprogrammed virus”.

Red Panda

Many thanks Wibble
Brave decision. Thanks for protecting the rest of us. Hope you fully recover soon.
Thanks Wibble that's kind of you. I don't think it's known why the AstraZeneca vaccine triggers the immune system in a tiny amount of people to attack blood platelets. With me they're just trying to control the negative effects. My heart goes out to those who've lost loved ones

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Glaswegian

That version was shite, anyway. If that were the case all we'd need is Charlton Heston's blood and inject everyone with that, seeing as his was the cure in the Omega Man. Or... just hang garlic outside yer door like Vincent Price done in The Last Man on Earth. The original adaptation of the novel 'I Am Legend' to keep all the anti-vaxxers away.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
My god i feel shit today... Just had my 2nd this morning, got half of the side effects!
Feels like a proper man flu this!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great stuff here.

Hasn‘t the argument always been that mixing a vaccinated population with an unvaccinated population is what could promote vaccine resistant variations? If it’s allowed to spread far and wide through the unvaccinated, the chance of a (vaccine resistant) mutation occurring is higher as is the chance it would then spread to the vaccinated.

mav_9me

Just registered my son (12) to be vaccinated. Blows my mind that we’re already at his age group by the beginning of August. Phenomenal effort all round.
Personally believe this vaccines is one of mankind's greatest achievements.

mav_9me

Hasn‘t the argument always been that mixing a vaccinated population with an unvaccinated population is what could promote vaccine resistant variations? If it’s allowed to spread far and wide through the unvaccinated, the chance of a (vaccine resistant) mutation occurring is higher as is the chance it would then spread to the vaccinated.
I don't know. I am not sure anyone knows.

The anti-vax argument I believe is that vaccines naturally lead the virus to mutate to escape it. Personally don't see the logic in that. Just because bacteria might become resistant to an antibiotic doesn't mean we don't use the antibiotic for its benefit.

I would have thought because duration of illness is short in vaccinated people, chances of mutation are less. There will be some mutation anyway.

But I don't know much about this stuff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't know. I am not sure anyone knows.

The anti-vax argument I believe is that vaccines naturally lead the virus to mutate to escape it. Personally don't see the logic in that. Just because bacteria might become resistant to an antibiotic doesn't mean we don't use the antibiotic for its benefit.

I would have thought because duration of illness is short in vaccinated people, chances of mutation are less. There will be some mutation anyway.

But I don't know much about this stuff.
It confuses me too. The selective pressure with antibiotic resistance is supposedly increased with underdosing or not completing a full course. The idea being you need a scorched earth policy or you end up with battle hardened survivor bugs that will handle the antibiotic better next time round.

I used to think that the vaccine equivalent risk was the Uk policy of pushing out the second dose, therefore leaving loads of partially vaccinated people wandering round. I don’t think that logic holds though. Especially now we know even fully vaccinated people fairly regularly get a mild illness. And bacteria evolving to resist antibiotics is very different to viruses evolving to resist a vaccine. Because they’re up against the same form of attack, whether the host is vaccinated or non-vaccinated.

Which is a rambling way of demonstrating that I don’t know much about this stuff either!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of uptake there will be. Parents might be less inclined to use vaccines on their kids
It will be interesting. The uptake in the age of people who would be parents of these kids has been pretty incredible. So I can see a lot of them opting in, if only so their kids don’t miss loads of school again next year.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It will be interesting. The uptake in the age of people who would be parents of these kids has been pretty incredible. So I can see a lot of them opting in, if only so their kids don’t miss loads of school again next year.
I hope you’re right, it’ll be an interesting story to follow

mav_9me

It confuses me too. The selective pressure with antibiotic resistance is supposedly increased with underdosing or not completing a full course. The idea being you need a scorched earth policy or you end up with battle hardened survivor bugs that will handle the antibiotic better next time round.

I used to think that the vaccine equivalent risk was the Uk policy of pushing out the second dose, therefore leaving loads of partially vaccinated people wandering round. I don’t think that logic holds though. Especially now we know even fully vaccinated people fairly regularly get a mild illness. And bacteria evolving to resist antibiotics is very different to viruses evolving to resist a vaccine. Because they’re up against the same form of attack, whether the host is vaccinated or non-vaccinated.

Which is a rambling way of demonstrating that I don’t know much about this stuff either!
Definitely

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Interesting update on vaccine take-up in France. Their campaign started slowly, with a lot of hesitancy and a high dose of outright vaccine rejection. They've still not got the kind of blanket coverage that the UK got in the 70+ (which may impact their hospital/death rates) but they've really moved well in the under 40s.

It's the grey bits of the graph that tell you most of the story in terms of vulnerability to hospitalisation.

Big uptick in vaccinations since vaccine passports for cafes came in. But hopefully also a sign that people are getting more confident about the vaccine.

Last edited: