The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Delighted with my lack of symptoms from the second one. Feeling completely fine and even my arm wasn't that sore.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Delighted with my lack of symptoms from the second one. Feeling completely fine and even my arm wasn't that sore.
How were you after the first? From a lot I’ve spoken to they tend to be fine with one and have side effects with the other. My first was no issues other than a sore arm, second knocked me out for about 24 hours.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You have anything after the first other than the sore arm? Just had my first an hour ago and felt nothing after the first but feel like I'm just waiting in anticipation for at least a headache on this one. :lol:
No, thankfully just a really sore arm for about 2 days then it went itself.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How were you after the first? From a lot I’ve spoken to they tend to be fine with one and have side effects with the other. My first was no issues other than a sore arm, second knocked me out for about 24 hours.
First one I woke up at 2am with an horrendous headache and sweats but it went by morning.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Had my second dose of Pfizer yesterday, sore arm again like the last time but accompanied by fatigue and a headache :( feeling a bit better now though
Update: so my sore arm has gone and the fatigue/headache, but now (t.m.i) there is a slightly painful/uncomfortable lump underneath my armpit. Anyone had similar and should I be concerned?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Yeah I had the same, but I don’t know if the tiredness was from a shit nights sleep or the jab, called in sick, my place gives us 2 days off for it. So I went back to bed slept till late and still fecked.
Literally minutes after typing this I started getting the shakes, shivering feeling sick do I went to bed, now as I'm walking up I feel like I was on a mad one last night, worse than any hangover I've had in years.

With the shivering I was thinking did I eat something that would cause that as it felt like the time I had lamb cutlets at work and it made me uncontrollable cold when I got home until I got vomited

fellwin

I’m sure they do know but I’ll take the headline figures with a pinch of salt until that data is released.

To be clear, I’m sure it still works well against Delta. They all do. But when you see headline efficacy % that high you have to assume it includes a lot of the earlier, more vaccine susceptible variants. And it would be fairly typical of a pharma company to trumpet the headline %, while burying the more relevant data in the small print, or in later less widely circulated press releases (and I’m saying this as someone who works in pharma!)
But with Efficacy % going from 94 to 93% then only a tiny proportion of delta could be registered if they saw a substantial fall in delta efficacy right? I mean if only 20% of research cases were delta and the efficiacy was say 80% on these the remaining 80% of cases should actually have gone up to 97% to constrain the total drop to 93%

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Update: so my sore arm has gone and the fatigue/headache, but now (t.m.i) there is a slightly painful/uncomfortable lump underneath my armpit. Anyone had similar and should I be concerned?
Lymph nodes.

Expected side effect so wouldn't be concerned.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Second Pfizer jab coming up in a few hours....managed to book this one for the Holte suite at Villa Park so will see if the Grealish banner has been torn down yet.:lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
She’s an awful moaner. Obsessed with long covid and kids. The UK have made a deliberate decision that risks outweigh benefits in kids. The scientific community is split on this. So there’s no right or wrong approach here.
Oh I’d never seen her before. Was just surprised how far behind we are on vaccinating teens. You’d like to think there’d be a big push before September when they’re back at school.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Oh I’d never seen her before. Was just surprised how far behind we are on vaccinating teens. You’d like to think there’d be a big push before September when they’re back at school.
I read the other day that there's a proposal to have vaccination points in schools in Italy, which would make it very easy to get the teenagers vaccinated. 30% of the 12-19 year-olds have already been fully vaccinated.

Balljy

That's what they're intending to do now. It was announced yesterday that 16 and 17 year-olds are now offered vaccinations and they don't need to get approval from their parents. The advice is for healthy 12 to 15 year-olds to not take the jab though for now until more evidence has been studied.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Bloody hell. I'm no antivaxxer but sometimes there's nothing wrong with a pause for thought. The JCVI aren't engaged in some kind of campaign to reduce vaccine uptake. As usual they're trying to do a risk assessment - in the case of kids the rarity of severe cases of covid vs the possibility that the vaccine might have adverse affects. They're very open about their reasoning:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-19-vaccination-of-young-people-aged-16-to-17

They're doing exactly the job that I want them to do, which is to weigh things up. I really don't get where campaigners like Deepti are coming from. Do they think JCVI are engaged in some kind of covert campaign to give kids long covid and trash the education system.

That said, I hope they do crack on with the 16+ jabs now they're approved. Apparently you still can't book them on the national system and GPs etc haven't received any guidance on the rollout plan (which is rumoured to suggest school based clinics).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Anyone know what the current survival rate is for patients needing a ventilator? My best friends mom was just put on one this morning. She had/has pneumonia, hypertension, diabetes and a heart condition. Early 60's.

F-Red

Bloody hell. I'm no antivaxxer but sometimes there's nothing wrong with a pause for thought. The JCVI aren't engaged in some kind of campaign to reduce vaccine uptake. As usual they're trying to do a risk assessment - in the case of kids the rarity of severe cases of covid vs the possibility that the vaccine might have adverse affects. They're very open about their reasoning:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-19-vaccination-of-young-people-aged-16-to-17

They're doing exactly the job that I want them to do, which is to weigh things up. I really don't get where campaigners like Deepti are coming from. Do they think JCVI are engaged in some kind of covert campaign to give kids long covid and trash the education system.

That said, I hope they do crack on with the 16+ jabs now they're approved. Apparently you still can't book them on the national system and GPs etc haven't received any guidance on the rollout plan (which is rumoured to suggest school based clinics).
It's a weird thing to talk/flex about, surely the focus should be around how many of the vulnerable have been jabbed? That age group and below, whilst responsible for a large amount of transmission, will probably be the least affected when it comes to the severity of the disease, so the logic of other nations chasing vaccine rates in that specific age group over more vulnerable age demographics is baffling to say the least. The JCVI have been quite transparent on why they've held back on approving for those age groups.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

She’s just another casualty of social media. Anyone who spends too much time on there is at huge risk of becoming so entrenched in a particular stance that they end up losing any sense of perspective. One of the most depressing things in this pandemic has been watching extremely smart academics fall prey to this phenomenon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's a weird thing to talk/flex about, surely the focus should be around how many of the vulnerable have been jabbed? That age group and below, whilst responsible for a large amount of transmission, will probably be the least affected when it comes to the severity of the disease, so the logic of other nations chasing vaccine rates in that specific age group over more vulnerable age demographics is baffling to say the least. The JCVI have been quite transparent on why they've held back on approving for those age groups.
Well, no, it’s not baffling. They see it as a way to keep overall rates low. Which will protect the most vulnerable. There’s a very clear rationale for both approaches.

F-Red

Well, no, it’s not baffling. They see it as a way to keep overall rates low. Which will protect the most vulnerable. There’s a very clear rationale for both approaches.
Sorry, to me it's baffling. In a world of a finite/limited supply of vaccines, and other countries haven't even vaccinated their most vulnerable, vaccinating those younger age groups doesn't make much sense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'll entertain the pedanticism. The risk profile between 20-30 year olds and 17 and under are significantly different, but you know that already.
Well no. That’s not true. There isn’t a binary difference in risk between a 16 and 17 year old. Or a 19 vs 20 year old and so on. There isn’t any consensus on the precise age at which the risks of vaccination outweigh the benefits. Hence different approaches in different countries.

One thing’s for sure. If wealthier countries really cared about (or could influence) vaccine distribution/uptake in poorer countries they would have deferred vaccinating their own citizens younger than the age of (approximately) 30 and given those vaccines to the much more vulnerable age groups overseas.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Just on what's happening in the different age groups right now.

One thing to note is that test positivity rates in the 10-19 group are running at 30% so there are presumably a lot of cases being missed - probably due to low/different symptoms. Certainly it suggests that those routine LFTs were actually doing something useful during term time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Anyone know what the current survival rate is for patients needing a ventilator? My best friends mom was just put on one this morning. She had/has pneumonia, hypertension, diabetes and a heart condition. Early 60's.
Sorry to hear that. I doubt if even her own doctors would be willing to give survival rates at this stage. Cases are far too individual for that.

That said, in the UK at least, they won't put you on a ventilator unless they think you can survive and most people going into ICU do survive.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sorry to hear that. I doubt if even her own doctors would be willing to give survival rates at this stage. Cases are far too individual for that.

That said, in the UK at least, they won't put you on a ventilator unless they think you can survive and most people going into ICU do survive.
Thanks jojojo. Much appreciated.

Shark

@NotShark
Was trying to hold out for the one shot J&J but it's not coming back into Ireland now cause of effectiveness apparently, just got the Pfizer now at a chemist, supposed to be the most efficient one anyway so happy out.

Last edited:

mav_9me

41% mortality in one database.
Source: https://sccmcovid19.org/

Now that doesn't translate into her chances. Everyone is different. I've had all types of people survive and die.

Her prognosis would be quite a bit worse if she ended up needing dialysis for kidney failure.

Tarrou

if you get the first vaccine but not the second (I missed the appointment)

is it safe to just get the first again?

I'm in a weird spot where it's easy to book a first and second jab again, but struggling to get an appointment for the second jab alone

I've tried calling like 5 times they just keep saying they'll get back to me but don't

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
if you get the first vaccine but not the second (I missed the appointment)

is it safe to just get the first again?

I'm in a weird spot where it's easy to book a first and second jab again, but struggling to get an appointment for the second jab alone

I've tried calling like 5 times they just keep saying they'll get back to me but don't
It's safe, the doses are the same.

It will probably mess up your medical records though, which will be a big deal if this vaccine passport stuff does get important.

I think you need to try and get it sorted properly.

Tarrou

It's safe, the doses are the same.

It will probably mess up your medical records though, which will be a big deal if this vaccine passport stuff does get important.

I think you need to try and get it sorted properly.
yeah okay thanks, good advice

I just keep getting passed around by the support team, which is annoying when it takes 40 minutes to get through!

mav_9me

What's the word on boosters ? I'm nearing the five month mark and am wondering if I should look into one soon, especially with the CEO of Pfizer saying efficacy goes down to 84% at 6 months.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/28/pfi...ness-drops-to-84percent-after-six-months.html
I dont know of any data in favor of boosters.

My personal opinion is as long as vaccine efficacy doesn't come down, I am not sure of the role of boosters. So far vaccines have been great, so I don't see the need for boosters.
There is some data for benefit for immunocompromised and I think 65+, data from Israel IIRC.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
One for the stats visualisations fans. A heat map of hospitalisations by age, showing the massive impact of vaccines in the older age groups, between that hot spot around January and the very different looking profile seen now.

For people who like seeing numbers instead the raw data it's in a .xlsx file published by the PHE
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Another interesting file on that page looks at the data for "admitted to hospital because of covid" and "admitted to hospital, who just so happened to have covid" - answer: about 20% of the admissions who test positive for covid aren't being treated primarily for covid. It's worth noting that there's an overlap, with some who wouldn't be in hospital if they didn't also have covid, and that the "with covid" group still need special handling in hospital as they have to be located away from the uninfected.

Shez

yeah okay thanks, good advice

I just keep getting passed around by the support team, which is annoying when it takes 40 minutes to get through!
Depends on which country you are in. In France it is logged against your SS number and you can tell them day of the trial that it is #2 not #1

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
One for the stats visualisations fans. A heat map of hospitalisations by age, showing the massive impact of vaccines in the older age groups, between that hot spot around January and the very different looking profile seen now.

For people who like seeing numbers instead the raw data it's in a .xlsx file published by the PHE
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Another interesting file on that page looks at the data for "admitted to hospital because of covid" and "admitted to hospital, who just so happened to have covid" - answer: about 20% of the admissions who test positive for covid aren't being treated primarily for covid. It's worth noting that there's an overlap, with some who wouldn't be in hospital if they didn't also have covid, and that the "with covid" group still need special handling in hospital as they have to be located away from the uninfected.
Nice to see a heat map that isn’t showing how bad our wide players are defensively. It’s a bit confusing though. Is there a label missing from the x axis? Presumably it’s time?