The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Job searching is such a horrible experience, which is only made worse by everything else that's going on. Hope you can all find something soon, and in the meantime that you can somehow start to feel better. Good luck

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@Solius @NinjaFletch @Kaos

thanks fellas. I’d applied for my dream job with EA games in Ireland and had done 2 interviews before rejection. The salary, benefits, structure, environment, everything about it sounded great. So that’s the gutting one. I’m told that I showed my passion and experience but I wasn’t as strong as another candidate in a certain area (managing transformation specifically digital transformation)
I’ll get over it. It just came at a bad moment

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Word for word what happened to me on Tuesday. I spent several hours staring blankly at a wall hating everything about life and myself. It took all my energy to even put United on. I know you know all the logic and probably very accurate advice behind not taking it personally, but when you rack up rejection after rejection after rejection it's hard to stay resilient and not take it to heart. Sorry you're going through it too. :(
Hopefully nine goals took the edge off? Thank feck the real Southampton didn’t turn up!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Struggling myself this week. On the verge of tears the last couple of days. I also got a job rejection yesterday and another this morning which hasn’t helped
I am the same well minus job rejections. I cant cry. I want to and I need to for years, I just cant.

The right job will come. I have no doubt about that.

lynchie

I've only skimmed the rest of the review.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.01.21250957v1.full.pdf
As you say it relies on population wide positive covid tests, vaccinated v unvaccinated , to effectively guess how many cases there should/would have been - there's no actual placebo group. They reckon because both the vaccinated/unvaccinated groups are big and the case numbers are high there's enough data in the noise to extract something.

As to whether the statistical leap is a leap too far, I don't know, I don't feel close enough to the numbers or the (un)vaccinated population characteristics to judge if that is unreasonable.

That early uptick in case numbers does bother me though. I guess some of it is just pure bad luck with people suddenly finding themselves in queues at the vaccine stations and taking taxis to get there etc. But I did wonder if the general "under the weather" feeling that some people get in the day or so after the vaccine might make them more susceptible to getting covid. Like catching flu to go with the cold you've already got. It's another situation where you lose data by not having a placebo group.
If I'm honest, my trust in the whole thing was slightly undermined when I read

"The data contained in this analysis were taken from Figure 1 in the pre-print by Chodick and colleagues (2021) by measuring the reported cumulative incidence for each day from Figure 1 using Microsoft Publisher™"

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

"The data contained in this analysis were taken from Figure 1 in the pre-print by Chodick and colleagues (2021) by measuring the reported cumulative incidence for each day from Figure 1 using Microsoft Publisher™"
Yes, that made me wince as well. They obviously don't have these original source data, but I forgave that. It's written more like a counter-argument comment piece on the original paper, rather than a piece of research.

It is interesting but leaves a lot of gaps in the story. Hopefully there's enough antibody level monitoring (for some subjects) and tracking of positive covid tests/vaccine date happening in the UK that we'll soon start to get some serious results on the UK Pfizer strategy.

At least, I hope we're doing that kind of study, because otherwise we're not only taking a massive gamble by applying traditional vaccine theory to a novel drug, we're missing the chance to learn from it, and correct any errors quickly. "Fingers crossed" isn't that satisfiying a strategy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

:lol: Eesh. It’s such a strange piece of “research”.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy is accelerating the vaccination programme, as supplies of the AZ vaccine are expected from 8 Feb. It means that there won't now be a wait until all the over 80s have been vaccinated, and people over 55 will start to be offered vaccinations later this month.
The change is due to regulatory caution over whether the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe and effective for older adults. While the vaccine has been approved by EU and Italian regulators for use on all adults, clinical trials to date have mainly involved participants under 55, leading Italian medicines agency AIFA to recommend that it be reserved for 18 to 55-year-olds pending further studies.

When the first million doses arrive this month, they will therefore be offered to teachers, lecturers and other staff in schools and universities, as well as members of the armed forces, police, firefighters, prison staff and prisoners, other key workers and people living in religious or other shared communities who are under 55.

Those over 55 or with health conditions including arterial hypertension, cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, severe obesity and others will receive either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna shot, around 2.5 million doses of which are due to arrive throughout February.
https://www.thelocal.it/20210204/it...rs-in-february-under-updated-vaccination-plan

I don't know whether this is due to a realisation that the vast majority of those over-80s are not the people who are moving around their regions and spreading the virus. Many people in their late 50s and 60s are still working, of course.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Solius @NinjaFletch @Kaos

thanks fellas. I’d applied for my dream job with EA games in Ireland and had done 2 interviews before rejection. The salary, benefits, structure, environment, everything about it sounded great. So that’s the gutting one. I’m told that I showed my passion and experience but I wasn’t as strong as another candidate in a certain area (managing transformation specifically digital transformation)
I’ll get over it. It just came at a bad moment
Sorry to hear that GB. Bummer when you get close.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only 2 continents where vaccination hasn't started yet. Antarctica and Australia. Well done #scottyfrommarketing. At least you have the PR plan ready.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Only 2 continents where vaccination hasn't started yet. Antarctica and Australia. Well done #scottyfrommarketing. At least you have the PR plan ready.
In Ireland its going to take about 65 fecking years to vaccinate people. Its agonizingly slow.
The minister making a fecking big whoop telling us 20,000 will be delivered this weekend. Big Swinging cock. There us 5 million people in the country.
We are all fecked. This isnt going to end well

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
In Ireland its going to take about 65 fecking years to vaccinate people. Its agonizingly slow.
The minister making a fecking big whoop telling us 20,000 will be delivered this weekend. Big Swinging cock. There us 5 million people in the country.
Dude. You need to chill out. From an EU perspective our vaccines per capita are second only to Denmark. We won’t get there as quickly as the UK (for all sorts of complicated reasons) but we’ll get there soon enough.

EDIT: I didn’t check every EU country. Just the main ones. You can click “add country” if I’ve missed any you’re interested in. We’re certainly well above the average.

Balljy

Dude. You need to chill out. From an EU perspective our vaccines per capita are second only to Denmark. We won’t get there as quickly as the UK (for all sorts of complicated reasons) but we’ll get there soon enough.

EDIT: I didn’t check every EU country. Just the main ones. You can click “add country” if I’ve missed any you’re interested in. We’re certainly well above the average.
It's good that Northern Ireland is keeping up with the rest of the UK and I assume the same will be for Wales and Scotland as I could potentially see Johnson prioritising areas such as London. On another note why is Northern Ireland treated as a separate entity but not Scotland or Wales? Maybe a different distribution method or something with being offshore?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's good that Northern Ireland is keeping up with the rest of the UK and I assume the same will be for Wales and Scotland as I could potentially see Johnson prioritising areas such as London. On another note why is Northern Ireland treated as a separate entity but not Scotland or Wales? Maybe a different distribution method or something with being offshore?
Scotland and Wales are in there. Just click “add country”.

Balljy

Scotland and Wales are in there. Just click “add country”.
Cheers, I clicked that but didn't scroll down in the list as I think it bugged out for me first time.

This will be really interesting stat wise as it progresses over the next few months around the world.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It will ramp up everywhere and you are going into spring/summer which will help.

By the end of the year many of us will be back to something like normal.

Classical Mechanic

The WHO praising the UK approach thus far this morning

Nabarro says that the outcome of the UK’s decision against WHO advice to delay the second dose of vaccines in order to roll out a first dose more broadly, shown by data so far to have provided a good level of protection, was “wonderful”. He praises the UK’s “bravery” and adds: “That’s how we’re doing Covid at the moment - we’re all learning together.”

“We’re really really benefiting from the willingness of UK scientists and UK leaders to tell us very precisely what they’re doing differently and why they’re doing differently,” he adds.

“The UK’s approach so far at least has been vindicated,” he says. “Yes, I think this is a great lesson for the rest of the world - thank you, thank you British scientists.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Nabarro says that the outcome of the UK’s decision against WHO advice to delay the second dose of vaccines in order to roll out a first dose more broadly, shown by data so far to have provided a good level of protection, was “wonderful”. He praises the UK’s “bravery” and adds: “That’s how we’re doing Covid at the moment - we’re all learning together.”

“We’re really really benefiting from the willingness of UK scientists and UK leaders to tell us very precisely what they’re doing differently and why they’re doing differently,” he adds.

“The UK’s approach so far at least has been vindicated,” he says. “Yes, I think this is a great lesson for the rest of the world - thank you, thank you British scientists.
The vaccination programme has been the only thing the UK has got right.

Top stuff.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The UK government is being patted on the back for turning its population into the world’s guinea pigs.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The UK government is being patted on the back for turning its population into the world’s guinea pigs.
Two pats on the back actually, one for the decision being right and another for being brave enough to be different.

I think what people are missing is that Boris didn't come up with the idea on his own whilst lying in the bath, it was the scientific advisors that persuaded him of their plan, so perhaps the biggest 'pat on the back' should go to them?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think its important to note, even on this board, that this decision will not have come from a pie in the sky idea from Johnson or Gove or Sunak etc.

I'm not denying that there is risk involved, nor that I personally disagree with the decision ( I do). But this isn't a political decision, it is a decision put forward by some of the top scientists in the UK as to what was best for the UK, at this moment in time, from a public health perspective, using the data we already have in place.

It doesn't mean they are right, it doesn't mean it will end up working, it doesn't mean that people will be happy about it. I personally would not have signed up to have the pfizer one if I knew they were gonna postpone the 2nd dose.

But I do think that a lot of the reporting on this particular issue though has been very irresponsible, both from the media and non-British politicians. I'm trying to rack my brains as to the Tories making comments on other countries' vaccination schedules or policies. Other than Williamson's stupid comment about us having the best scientists at the beginning, I'm drawing a blank. Not sure I can say the same the other way round sadly and it isn't helpful to anyone.

I am glad I am not going to be vaccinated in the UK. There is a reason the manufacturers recommended certain dosages. There is a reason virtually every other country placed restrictions on the AZ vaccine, and some are refusing to approve it outright.

Riding roughshod is not a cause for celebration, even if the end result turns out to be the desired one.

Some pretty shit news from the AZ vaccine this weekend then.
About the SA variant or something else? Over here they said even pfizer didn’t quite ”bite” the same on the SA variant.

We’ll be chasing these variants forever I’m sure, at some point we may just accept the inevitability and natural process of it all. I think it’ll be around forever and we’ll keep switching vaccines, some years will be high mortality, some low.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
I am glad I am not going to be vaccinated in the UK. There is a reason the manufacturers recommended certain dosages. There is a reason virtually every other country placed restrictions on the AZ vaccine, and some are refusing to approve it outright.

Riding roughshod is not a cause for celebration, even if the end result turns out to be the desired one.
There is but you've got to realise the time strain on the vaccine. Literally every manufacturer would've been trying to find the shortest time interval between doses that would still be effective - the reason for that is, that automatically reduces the amount of time for the trials to happen and then also provide full immunity.

Finding the longest time interval between doses wouldn't have been of interest to any of them, up until now.

Depends doesn’t it? If it still protects against serious illness and hospitalisation from the SA variant as the scientists are confident it does then that’s by far the most important thing.
The SA study said it was too small a group to say if it helps against more severe illness, just that it had almost no effect in stopping milder illness, that right?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The SA study said it was too small a group to say if it helps against more severe illness, just that it had almost no effect in stopping milder illness, that right?
I think that is what the press releases are saying, though the full data should be released on Monday.

Also most of the participants were quite young it seems so not sure how much can be ascertained from the trial anyway.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

I got mine this morning, I'm 66. Happy to be in the UK thank you.

I think that is what the press releases are saying, though the full data should be released on Monday.

Also most of the participants were quite young it seems so not sure how much can be ascertained from the trial anyway.
So what happens if it’s useless against serious illness? My nan in her 90’s got the AZ one (and it appears anyway that J&J + Pfizer have same issues), is it back to square one for her if this SA becomes dominant? And once that vaccine spike is made and she gets vaccinated for that (after a long period of isolation again), what then if another mutation comes?

Evolution, and that bloke from Jurassic Park tells me that life always finds a way. So I can’t see a scenario where it doesn’t just mutate mutate a mutate so all we’re doing is chasing vaccines and isolating people forever.

or am I just being a negative feck here?

Classical Mechanic

Personally I’d rather be vaccinated with the AZ vaccine and in the UK (because it will likely happen sooner). If you consider the EU found it prudent to argue about liability with the vaccine manufacturers there is a small chance that something could go wrong longer term with the vaccines. My thinking is that because the AZ vaccine is old known technology it’s less likely to encounter any of those kind of issues than the new technology used in the other vaccines on the market currently. As far as I’m aware, it’s likely that the difference between the AZ vaccine and the others is only 20-30% less efficacy against milder illnesses. To me, it seems a worthwhile trade off to go with the established technology at the risk of a higher chance of milder illness.

I stand to be corrected on any of these points.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So what happens if it’s useless against serious illness? My nan in her 90’s got the AZ one (and it appears anyway that J&J + Pfizer have same issues), is it back to square one for her if this SA becomes dominant? And once that vaccine spike is made and she gets vaccinated for that (after a long period of isolation again), what then if another mutation comes?

Evolution, and that bloke from Jurassic Park tells me that life always finds a way. So I can’t see a scenario where it doesn’t just mutate mutate a mutate so all we’re doing is chasing vaccines and isolating people forever.

or am I just being a negative feck here?
I doubt it will be totally useless against serious illness thankfully but I do think we'll need a bit of caution going forward in general. Hopefully the vaccines will still work at least to some extent against all variants we know about for now and long term it will become like the flu vaccine; a yearly shot we dish out having worked on incorporating protection against the current known variants.

F-Red

Two pats on the back actually, one for the decision being right and another for being brave enough to be different.

I think what people are missing is that Boris didn't come up with the idea on his own whilst lying in the bath, it was the scientific advisors that persuaded him of their plan, so perhaps the biggest 'pat on the back' should go to them?
Yep, the JCVI started talking about the idea back in June/July last year.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There is but you've got to realise the time strain on the vaccine. Literally every manufacturer would've been trying to find the shortest time interval between doses that would still be effective - the reason for that is, that automatically reduces the amount of time for the trials to happen and then also provide full immunity.

Finding the longest time interval between doses wouldn't have been of interest to any of them, up until now.
I think that's an important point. Once you've decided that you need a two dose, or prime/boost plan then the pressure on the research team is to make the delay as short as possible. In the context of running trials it shortens the timeline, and in a public health setting it's what you normally want. Beyond that, the theoretical and historical models suggest that allowing the first dose more time generally leads to a stronger, more durable response.

The gamble they took is applying that theory to the new mRNA types where we have no history and minimal data to compare to. I'm hoping that the MHRA and the companies are now seeing that data - hopefully by testing blood antibody levels over time rather than just relying on hospitalisations etc to give us the bad news later. One advantage we do have is that a significant proportion of the Pfizer jab1 group are in situations (hospitals/carehomes) where they are doing regular covid tests as well.

Incidentally the people leading the UK Novavax trial are of the opinion that they could delay their second dose without it creating any problems. They don't have enough case numbers to know what the efficacy after a single dose will be, they do have some antibody numbers - though as Pfizer warned, we don't yet have a standard correlation for antibody level to efficacy.