The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

redshaw

"Denmark has suspended use of one batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine after a woman who received a dose died from blood clots.

Another person, who received a jab from the same batch ABV5300, was also hospitalised with clots.

EU regulator EMA says there is currently no indication that vaccination has caused these conditions, which are not listed as side effects with this vaccine.

EMA’s safety committee PRAC is investigating the cases reported with the batch as well as all other cases of thromboembolic events, and other conditions related to blood clots, reported post-vaccination.

The information available so far indicates that the number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people is no higher than that seen in the general population.

As of 9 March 2021, 22 cases of thromboembolic events had been reported among the three million people vaccinated with AstraZeneca's vaccine in the European Economic Area."

Do we have any data on blood clots using Pfizer? I can understand with so many people getting the jab some people will die around the time they had it for a number reasons.

OleBoiii

Well feck... My mom took the Astra vaccine literally just a few minutes before these news rolled out :rolleyes:

Hope it's not too serious.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The PRAC are constantly reviewing safety of medicines. They did a major review of oral contraceptives in the last couple of years. This is fairly routine safety monitoring. The decision to pause roll-out in a few countries is probably erring on the side of caution, seeing as alternative vaccines are available. Let’s wait to see what they find before jumping to any conclusions.

lynchie

22 thromboembolic events out of 3 million, mostly elderly people. I'd be optimistic that it's just a nasty coincidence. It'd be nice if these safety reviews didn't always get amplified into scare stories.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Of course there will be some serious side effects of some of these vaccines. They have all been developed and tested at warp speed. Normally vaccines like these take 10 years to get on the market. I would not be surprised if there were some more sideeffects further down the road as well. The swineflu vaccine had some serious sideeffects on some people. But the alternative is far worse than some sideeffects. I will still take my vaccine. There is a chance for car accidents and I can fall in the kitchen too, but I still make food and travel.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
22 thromboembolic events out of 3 million, mostly elderly people. I'd be optimistic that it's just a nasty coincidence. It'd be nice if these safety reviews didn't always get amplified into scare stories.
Am I being selfish, maybe inhuman, when I see countries (usually in Europe) politically using the Oxford vaccine as a means for Brit-bashing as an opportunity that there will be more AZ vaccines available for me quicker here in the UK?

I can't wait to be jabbed by one of these suckers this month. Though at my age group it might not be until late April. Despite seeing incredible drops in hospitalisation, deaths and new infections in the UK, Europe's only fascination seems to be with extreme and almost nonsensical concerns.

lynchie

Am I being selfish, maybe inhuman, when I see countries (usually in Europe) politically using the Oxford vaccine as a means for Brit-bashing as an opportunity that there will be more AZ vaccines available for me quicker here in the UK?

I can't wait to be jabbed by one of these suckers this month. Though at my age group it might not be until late April. Despite seeing incredible drops in hospitalisation, deaths and new infections in the UK, Europe's only fascination seems to be with extreme and almost nonsensical concerns.
I don't think it'll make much difference to you, UK AZ supply is essentially all coming from UK production sites, while the EU supply is coming from EU sites. That's one of the things the EU got riled up about, when the EU sites hit problems with meeting their production targets.

I'm on the same page with being keen to get a vaccine asap. My wife got a call for her first dose for next week, so it's beginning to feel like there's an end in sight. Next week is also supposed to be when the UK are expecting to ramp up numbers again, so hopefully they can deliever ahead of time on getting everyone jabbed that wants it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

I think you are being a proud British :D

It's one batch of AZ rather than the entire vaccine, no?
There are at least two problematic batches at the moment. Denmark, Norway and Iceland have stopped using the AstraZeneca vaccine in it's entirety, some other countries like Italy are just withdrawing the ones that have been associated with adverse events.

Thankfully the J&J vaccine was approved today and should start shipping in volume very quickly. Italy is supposed to get 7.3 million doses in Q2, which works out to about 55 million Europe wide.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There are at least two problematic batches at the moment. Denmark, Norway and Iceland have stopped using the AstraZeneca vaccine in it's entirety, some other countries like Italy are just withdrawing the ones that have been associated with adverse events.

Thankfully the J&J vaccine was approved today and should start shipping in volume very quickly. Italy is supposed to get 7.3 million doses in Q2, which works out to about 55 million Europe wide.
Well I had my first AZ jab last Saturday. No adverse effects.... Yet!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Novavax have released their UK P3 and South Africa P2b data - more or less the same efficacy results as they put in their interim results at the end of January but with better confidence levels (more cases).

Efficacy was 96.4% (95% CI: 73.8, 99.5) against the original virus strain and 86.3% (95% CI: 71.3, 93.5) against the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant circulating in the U.K (post hoc). The primary efficacy endpoint demonstrated an overall vaccine efficacy of 89.7% (95% CI: 80.2, 94.6). 106 cases were observed, with 10 in the vaccine group and 96 in the placebo group. NVX-CoV2373 was effective against severe disease: five severe[1] cases were observed in the study, and all occurred in the placebo group. Four of the five severe cases were attributed to the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant. Fourteen days after dose 1, vaccine efficacy was 83.4% (95% CI: 73.6, 89.5).

https://ir.novavax.com/news-release...rms-high-levels-efficacy-against-original-and

JMack1234

Had my first does of AZ on Tuesday.

Woke up on Wednesday and felt like I'd been playing 5-a-side all afternoon. Really tired, muscles aching etc etc. However, today I feel absolutely fine and have no side effects at all apart from a tender upper arm.

Anybody else had this?

Jacko21

Woke up on Wednesday and felt like I'd been playing 5-a-side all afternoon. Really tired, muscles aching etc etc. However, today I feel absolutely fine and have no side effects at all apart from a tender upper arm.

Anybody else had this?
Yep, fairly common reaction to the first dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

It floored me when I had mine - had to dose up on paracetamol. But passed after 36 hours or so. Roll on the second dose!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Novavax have released their UK P3 and South Africa P2b data - more or less the same efficacy results as they put in their interim results at the end of January but with better confidence levels (more cases).

Efficacy was 96.4% (95% CI: 73.8, 99.5) against the original virus strain and 86.3% (95% CI: 71.3, 93.5) against the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant circulating in the U.K (post hoc). The primary efficacy endpoint demonstrated an overall vaccine efficacy of 89.7% (95% CI: 80.2, 94.6). 106 cases were observed, with 10 in the vaccine group and 96 in the placebo group. NVX-CoV2373 was effective against severe disease: five severe[1] cases were observed in the study, and all occurred in the placebo group. Four of the five severe cases were attributed to the B.1.1.7/501Y.V1 variant. Fourteen days after dose 1, vaccine efficacy was 83.4% (95% CI: 73.6, 89.5).

https://ir.novavax.com/news-release...rms-high-levels-efficacy-against-original-and
Impressive results.

This is also reassuring.

previously reported initial analysis from the study through 60 days indicated that prior infection with the original COVID-19 strain might not completely protect against subsequent infection by the variant predominantly circulating in South Africa. However, the complete analysis of the South Africa trial indicates that there may be a late protective effect of prior exposure with the original COVID-19 strain. In placebo recipients, at 90 days the illness rate was 7.9% in baseline seronegative individuals, with a rate of 4.4% in baseline seropositive participants.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You can’t compare head to head. The more recent vaccines have been tested against trickier variants than the early ones. So can’t match their headline efficacy %s. Main thing is it works.
I was hoping you were gonna tell me it’s wrong and it’s actually higher

Israel's data on the Pfizer vaccine is amazingly positive.

• Real-world data from Israel suggests the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is 94% effective in preventing asymptomatic infections, meaning it could significantly reduce transmission.
  • Israeli data shows the vaccine was also 97% effective in preventing symptomatic disease, severe disease and death.
  • The analysis also shows real-world evidence of the vaccine’s effectiveness against a highly infectious variant of COVID-19 first discovered in Britain, known as B.1.1.7. More than 80% of the tested specimens when the analysis was conducted were variant B.1.1.7.
There was also this story from a few weeks ago:

0 deaths, only 4 severe cases among 523,000 Israelis fully vaccinated with Pfizer

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Israel's data on the Pfizer vaccine is amazingly positive.

• Real-world data from Israel suggests the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is 94% effective in preventing asymptomatic infections, meaning it could significantly reduce transmission.
  • Israeli data shows the vaccine was also 97% effective in preventing symptomatic disease, severe disease and death.
  • The analysis also shows real-world evidence of the vaccine’s effectiveness against a highly infectious variant of COVID-19 first discovered in Britain, known as B.1.1.7. More than 80% of the tested specimens when the analysis was conducted were variant B.1.1.7.
There was also this story from a few weeks ago:

0 deaths, only 4 severe cases among 523,000 Israelis fully vaccinated with Pfizer
Fantastic news. From what I’ve seen in various interviews, Pfizer seems to be holding up pretty good against the variants as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Anybody else had this?
This seems pretty common irrespective of which brand one gets. I had a nearly identical experience with my Pfizer last week.

Cloud7

Yep, fairly common reaction to the first dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

It floored me when I had mine - had to dose up on paracetamol. But passed after 36 hours or so. Roll on the second dose!
I was out for 36 hours after my first dose. Apparently the side effects are meant to be worse after the second dose. Due for mine in April. I think I might just preemptively tell the hospital I won't be in for two days :lol: I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit nervous about how bad I'll feel, even if it's only temporarily. Haven't felt that sick in years.

Really makes you think about just how awful getting actual Covid might feel.

WPMUFC

Got my first AZ shot today (Australia) sore arm and a headache. Took paracetamol and 7 hours later still only a dull ache in arm. Back for second dose first week of JUN.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Got my first AZ shot today (Australia) sore arm and a headache. Took paracetamol and 7 hours later still only a dull ache in arm. Back for second dose first week of JUN.
More seriously that is fantastic news. I can't wait.

F-Red

Just had my first AZ dose this morning. Just a bit of a headache and an aching arm. My GP confirmed to me that I fell into group 6 of the priority levels which surprised me (mid-30's, healthy BMI, long term health condition but very stable, no respiratory issues).

The humorous part of the process was an eejit outside in his sunflower lanyard, saying that the pandemic was all government control. I had to point out the irony that he's stood in a queue waiting for a vaccine, but I think it was lost on him.

WPMUFC

Your the one ;)
More seriously that is fantastic news. I can't wait.
:angel:

even got a juice box :drool:

Pretty well done. Picked a day and time, went and got it today was told twice that i was consenting to AZ and asked twice if i had concerns about potential issues. Afterwards you got a link to book again and a set date, the website blocked out dates so can't go before a set date block (around 10 weeks). Going this early i hoped for Pfizer, but honestly, any jab that can turn the disease into "the common cold" as Fauci talks about it, is good enough for me.

Last edited:

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I was out for 36 hours after my first dose. Apparently the side effects are meant to be worse after the second dose. Due for mine in April. I think I might just preemptively tell the hospital I won't be in for two days :lol: I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit nervous about how bad I'll feel, even if it's only temporarily. Haven't felt that sick in years.

Really makes you think about just how awful getting actual Covid might feel.
I work for a nursing home group and we have had all our homes vaccinated and all reports are that the first AZ jab had much worse side effects than second.

Stookie

Nurse bell end

Anybody else had this?
Not with the AZ but I had the Pfizer jab and felt like that. It’s just the body immune system kicking in. My brother was the same for a day. But next day was absolutely fine. I had mine while I was at work as well on a night shift. Had my second about 3 weeks ago and had no effects at all.