The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes. My cnut of an uncle (her son) went to visit her after having ‘a cold’ which turned out to be a confirmed covid case. fecking prick. He’s denying it completely though and saying that his symptoms started after he visited her
Imagine being the one that brought covid home that hospitalised your mum

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A vaccine which contains DNA that encodes a covid protein. How is that not a DNA vaccine?! The only difference is the method by which the DNA is introduced into your cells.

There are really only three ways to induce an immune response to a specific antigen. Inject you with the antigen itself. Inject with with mRNA to prompt your own cells to manufacture the antigen. Inject you with DNA to prompt your own cells to manufacture the antigen.

There a bunch of different routes to achieve those goals but they all lead to one of the same three end games.
But using an attenuated virus to piggyback the virus spike into cells is fairly standard practice and is used by the J&J and the Oxford vaccine among others.

DNA vaccines have more in common with mRNA vaccines. As mRNA vaccines do not affect or reprogram DNA inside the cell all but tin foil hat wearers haven't been concerned with them "reprogramming" or "controlling" the recipent. As DNA use plasmids containing genes that code for proteins from the target virus the crazies will think their DNA is being changed. There are potential risks but not what these loons with think there are. And of course that is why trials are done.

The great potential is that our cells respond to DNA vaccines by producing proteins from the virus and displaying then in the cell surface which not only activates a T-cell response to produce antibodies but also stimulates the production of killer T-cells that will kill infected cells. Potentially you could even have a sterilising vaccine.

I think this one might be first cab off the rank, always assuming phase 3 trials go to plan of course. With so many vaccines in production I wonder if some of those still in early phases testing will pull the pin? Or perhaps some of the early vaccines will become obsolete as better vaccines arrive?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But using an attenuated virus to piggyback the virus spike into cells is fairly standard practice and is used by the J&J and the Oxford vaccine among others.

DNA vaccines have more in common with mRNA vaccines. As mRNA vaccines do not affect or reprogram DNA inside the cell all but tin foil hat wearers haven't been concerned with them "reprogramming" or "controlling" the recipent. As DNA use plasmids containing genes that code for proteins from the target virus the crazies will think their DNA is being changed. There are potential risks but not what these loons with think there are. And of course that is why trials are done.

The great potential is that our cells respond to DNA vaccines by producing proteins from the virus and displaying then in the cell surface which not only activates a T-cell response to produce antibodies but also stimulates the production of killer T-cells that will kill infected cells. Potentially you could even have a sterilising vaccine.

I think this one might be first cab off the rank, always assuming phase 3 trials go to plan of course. With so many vaccines in production I wonder if some of those still in early phases testing will pull the pin? Or perhaps some of the early vaccines will become obsolete as better vaccines arrive?
Which is exactly how our cells respond to mRNA vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna/Curevac) and viral vector vaccines (AZ/J&J) They all do the same thing. They all use our own cells to manufacture SARS-COV-2 spike proteins. The former use mRNA to start this process, the latter use DNA.

What makes the DNA plasmid vaccines different is how that DNA is packaged up when it enters the body. Once that DNA gets inside our cells the end game is identical to what happens with these other vaccine classes.

F-Red

Had a call this afternoon from my GP, first vaccine booked in for Friday morning.

Tiber

I got my jab last week, despite being 29 and reasonably healthy.

Felt fine immediately after getting the vaccine, but I was really ill for the next 2 days. Had a bad fever, was nauseous and had shooting pains down both my arms from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers. They did warn me that people who have already had Covid tend to have a worse reaction to the vaccine, but I didn't expect it to hit me like a truck and I never felt that unwell when I actually had Covid.

Have to get the second jab in a few weeks, not exactly excited to go through it all again - my arm still hurts where they did the injection. But at the same time, its small sacrifice is it helps keep my grandparents alive. Defiantly booking the next day off work though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Felt fine immediately after getting the vaccine, but I was really ill for the next 2 days. Had a bad fever, was nauseous and had shooting pains down both my arms from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers. They did warn me that people who have already had Covid tend to have a worse reaction to the vaccine, but I didn't expect it to hit me like a truck and I never felt that unwell when I actually had Covid.

Have to get the second jab in a few weeks, not exactly excited to go through it all again - my arm still hurts where they did the injection. But at the same time, its small sacrifice is it helps keep my grandparents alive. Defiantly booking the next day off work though.
How did you get it so soon?

Tiber

How did you get it so soon?
Dunno. I got a text from my gp with a mobile number to ring and got the jab two days later. I don't have any health concerns aside from being fat, but hardly on deaths door.

Live in a fairly small town so maybe they are getting through the list.

Classical Mechanic

Which jab did you get? It seems a quick turnaround assuming you’re in England.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Novavax P3 clinical trial - from the guinea-pig side.

It's now three months since I took Jab2 of whatever they jabbed me with (vaccine or placebo) and I had to go in for a routine checkup - blooodtests, any new possible side-effects and medical history/changes etc. We're still in the Sports Centre main gym, though today another bit of the Sports Centre was open and being used as a walk-in covid test centre, there was a queue outside that section.

I got invited for my NHS approved vaccine a week ago and the FOMO reaction is running high right now :lol:

Broadly speaking, I have two options:
1. Get unblinded - if I've had the Novavax, sit back and wait for its approval. If I've had the placebo, go and get my approved vaccine.
2. Stay in the trial on the promise of it becoming a crossover trial - placebo recipients get vaccine; vaccine recipients get placebo.

At the session today, they spoke to us in small (8 person, socially distanced, in front of a whiteboard) groups on arrival. The crossover should start "late March" and we should all have jab3 and 4 during April - the crossover should start as soon as they know the vaccine supply for the triallists has arrived in the UK. The MHRA release approval should come in April or maybe May. The organisers are looking nationally at a way to ensure triallists will not be put at a disadvantage by participating and that should include a way to give us crossover types vaccine passports etc.

The trouble is there are a lot of "shoulds" and "maybes" in that paragraph. I'm still in the trial but it's only a matter of time before my nerve cracks :smirk:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only in vitro data but this is a massive relief all the same. Pfizer vaccine seems to work against Brazil (P1) variant.

NEJM article

EDIT: Reading the original research it looks as though they tested all the important variants and the South African variant is the only one with vaccine resistance. Which seems to be a consistent pattern in a few different studies. The good news is that in phase 3 trials (the gold standard) the J&J vaccine did work against that variant. Not as well as the others but well enough that it would have still been licensed even if that variant was dominant everywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Traub

Only in vitro data but this is a massive relief all the same. Pfizer vaccine seems to work against Brazil (P1) variant.

NEJM article

EDIT: Reading the original research it looks as though they tested all the important variants and the South African variant is the only one with vaccine resistance. Which seems to be a consistent pattern in a few different studies. The good news is that in phase 3 trials (the gold standard) the J&J vaccine did work against that variant. Not as well as the others but well enough that it would have still been licensed even if that variant was dominant everywhere in the world.
Ya, the SA variant is a really bad one.
I suppose the advantage is it seems that any vaccine that works against the SA variant will work against the others (the same if you caught the SA variant and survived). So an update to vaccines is clearly on the cards, but hopefully this strong variant came up relatively early in the pandemic and we are protected for a good while.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ya, the SA variant is a really bad one.
I suppose the advantage is it seems that any vaccine that works against the SA variant will work against the others (the same if you caught the SA variant and survived). So an update to vaccines is clearly on the cards, but hopefully this strong variant came up relatively early in the pandemic and we are protected for a good while.
They've also tested convalescent blood from people who've recovered from the new strain. Their antibodies also neutralise the original, Brazil and UK variants. The implication may be that if vaccines get tweaked for the SA strain they'll be able to recover those super high efficacy rates we saw.

Edited: fixed the deliberate mistake :wenger:

Last edited:

Traub

They've also tested convalescent blood from people who've recovered from the new strain. Their antibodies also neutralise the original, Brazil and UK variants. The implication may be that if vaccines get tweaked for the Brazil strain they'll be able to recover those super high efficacy rates we saw.
Brazil or SA?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My wife is going for her Astra Zeneca tomorrow in Blanchardstown Hospital in Dublin. She is working in dentistry.

She registered a couple of months ago through some HSE website and there was no response.

Someone else sent her this link -
https://www.swiftqueue.com/pre_time...UX3nCUg3LYkq..hJs0945j6eA90tZlLzVrAPc5j7wtU/a

I registered her there and there is hundreds of appointments available. She is going in the morning. I could have picked today if she had the the time to go up.

Wolverine

Where I am we are getting the military now helping out with housebound patients, care home patients which has really been a big help, will help with 2nd doses as well

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The vaccination numbers in the US are quite staggering; 2.9M people got the jab on Saturday. 2.4M on Sunday.
60M doses given out in total so far.

It’s a huge country (c330m) but still those numbers are a big improvement on the <1m daily numbers from early/mid January.

% wise it’s working that approx 18% have had at least one jab.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

The vaccination numbers in the US are quite staggering; 2.9M people got the jab on Saturday. 2.4M on Sunday.

It’s a huge country (c330m) but still those numbers are a big improvement on the <1m daily numbers from early/mid January.

On top of that, 9.5% are fully vaccinated - that’s pretty impressive considered the population size

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yes.
And then my wife tells me today that she’s scheduled tomorrow for the Moderna shot due to her job being essential (it wouldn’t fit my version of essential but good for her). I’ll drive her so maybe I can get one too ;)

Phil

Any of the well informed Caf members have an opinion of the Sinovac? Our family in other parts of the world are getting it and from my own research, it seems like the phase 3 results were.. Patchy?

Bit concerned.

golden_blunder

Staff
My wife is going for her Astra Zeneca tomorrow in Blanchardstown Hospital in Dublin. She is working in dentistry.

She registered a couple of months ago through some HSE website and there was no response.

https://www.swiftqueue.com/pre_time...UX3nCUg3LYkq..hJs0945j6eA90tZlLzVrAPc5j7wtU/a

I registered her there and there is hundreds of appointments available. She is going in the morning. I could have picked today if she had the the time to go up.
Could a normal person sneak in there? What’s a covax portal?

golden_blunder

Staff

Amazing what you can do when the President tells you to crack on and do it

Balljy

That didn't sound right so I checked the link to the blog on the website and it says this "anyone who books to get the vaccine fraudulently will be turned away – full stop. Some people have used links shared with them to try and falsely get the Covid vaccine. If they book and attend the clinic to try and jump the queue and they do not have proof of eligibility and they will be turned away.”

https://blog.swiftqueue.com/stateme...es-regarding-queue-jumping-for-covid-vaccine/

Obviously they'll only turn away people who aren't yet eligible for the jab so it's fine if you are.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

That didn't sound right so I checked the link to the blog on the website and it says this "anyone who books to get the vaccine fraudulently will be turned away – full stop. Some people have used links shared with them to try and falsely get the Covid vaccine. If they book and attend the clinic to try and jump the queue and they do not have proof of eligibility and they will be turned away.”

https://blog.swiftqueue.com/stateme...es-regarding-queue-jumping-for-covid-vaccine/

Obviously they'll only turn away people who aren't yet eligible for the jab so it's fine if you are.
My Mrs is legit.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For people wondering why they got the appointment message despite being young and healthy - the algorithm did it. They set the defaults for "missing info" to higher risk:
For example, if a patient’s weight or ethnicity are not recorded on their health records, QCovid automatically ascribes them a BMI of 31 (obese) and the highest risk ethnicity (black African), meaning they are more likely to be invited for a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...s-algorithm-as-young-people-called-in-for-jab

As the article says, no harm done for the individual (unless it triggers a health anxiety) because they just get the vaccine a few weeks earlier, but it does explain some of the anomalies that the fast rollout is seeing.

F-Red

For people wondering why they got the appointment message despite being young and healthy - the algorithm did it. They set the defaults for "missing info" to higher risk:
For example, if a patient’s weight or ethnicity are not recorded on their health records, QCovid automatically ascribes them a BMI of 31 (obese) and the highest risk ethnicity (black African), meaning they are more likely to be invited for a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...s-algorithm-as-young-people-called-in-for-jab

As the article says, no harm done for the individual (unless it triggers a health anxiety) because they just get the vaccine a few weeks earlier, but it does explain some of the anomalies that the fast rollout is seeing.
Interesting, I'm pretty sure I fall under this bracket. I don't have any of the key issues of risk for covid, only one long term health condition (neurological) and I take a blue inhaler for EIB on rare occasions. I don't recall being weighed at the doctors in the last decade, and I'm down as a healthy BMI.

Wolverine

These vaccines are an insane privilege, my wife's grandmother passed away with covid a month or so ago (delay in her getting the vaccine due to being completely housebound with multiple comorbidities, we tried sourcing ambulances as she'd needed hoisting and stretches but were unable to get to her in time). My maternal grandmother in canada just passed away yesterday after fighting it too, apparently they've been quite slow there with the rollout.
Neither despite being what is portrayed regarding south asian/BAME were engaging in risky rule-breaking behaviours nor were their families, and neither were vaccine hesitant

stepic

just had my jab (AZ) yesterday, no side effects at all. i'm only 39 with no pre-existing health issues so think i may have some missing data too to have been called up so quickly.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
just had my jab (AZ) yesterday, no side effects at all. i'm only 39 with no pre-existing health issues so think i may have some missing data too to have been called up so quickly.
Yeah that's odd. Maybe you're like that BMI guy that they had down as 6cm tall :lol:

McGrathsipan

my Mrs is back from her first AZ jab this morning.

Only obvious side effect is an extra tit but thats fine with me. ;)

She said her ID and credentials were checked twice so its unlikely that there would be any way to sneak in.
She was impressed with the way it was being ran. Said it was very smooth
@golden_blunder @Balljy

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
These vaccines are an insane privilege, my wife's grandmother passed away with covid a month or so ago (delay in her getting the vaccine due to being completely housebound with multiple comorbidities, we tried sourcing ambulances as she'd needed hoisting and stretches but were unable to get to her in time). My maternal grandmother in canada just passed away yesterday after fighting it too, apparently they've been quite slow there with the rollout.
Neither despite being what is portrayed regarding south asian/BAME were engaging in risky rule-breaking behaviours nor were their families, and neither were vaccine hesitant
Sorry to hear that.

It's been an awful year for so many families, and somehow it seems worse now that it feels like we have a chance of stopping most of the deaths.

As you say, the vaccines are a privilege. That they exist at all is an extraordinary testament to the researchers and clinicians. That they are starting to save lives is immense, but it's important to remember how many are still dying or becoming seriously ill - all over the world.