The West Wing

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

This show, unquestionably more then any other I've ever watched, has an incredible ability to tug at your heartstrings.

The dialogue teamed with the scoring over the incredible story lines at times; I've watched this show through more times than I can count (dozens, seriously) but there are scenes that still have me on the verge of tears.

Two Cathedrals is one I've banged on and on about, but this scene above is another. If you've not seen the show it probably won't mean much out of context, but feck it's an incredibly powerful moment.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

This show, unquestionably more then any other I've ever watched, has an incredible ability to tug at your heartstrings.

The dialogue teamed with the scoring over the incredible story lines at times; I've watched this show through more times than I can count (dozens, seriously) but there are scenes that still have me on the verge of tears.

Two Cathedrals is one I've banged on and on about, but this scene above is another. If you've not seen the show it probably won't mean much out of context, but feck it's an incredibly powerful moment.
I can't decide whether doing a re-watch at some point over the next few years is going to be necessary liberal escapism, or a depressing reminder of how far fiction is from reality.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't decide whether doing a re-watch at some point over the next few years is going to be necessary liberal escapism, or a depressing reminder of how far fiction is from reality.
Probably both, but it should be done if for no other reason than to remind you that not everyone is a cnut.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Who said it, Trump or Bartlet?

"This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars"

"I know words, I have the best words"

"We're for freedom of speech everywhere. We're for freedom of worship everywhere and we're for freedom to learn everywhere.

The Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day."

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Who said it, Trump or Bartlet?

"This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars"

"I know words, I have the best words"

"We're for freedom of speech everywhere. We're for freedom of worship everywhere and we're for freedom to learn everywhere.

The Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day."

That last one should have been SO disqualifying :lol:

EricaNo7

Fabulous. But it lost something when Rob Lowe left

Tiber

Great series, one of the greatest politicians in all of TV:

Interesting that Lowe is back for the special, I was under the impression he left under very bad terms

Jericholyte2

So this aired last night on HBO Max, anyone know if there was anything available in the UK that had it?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
12 year old thread of mine that's still being used! I feel like a proud dad.

All episode are free to watch on All4.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-west-wing
Brilliant! I’ve been doing a rewatch from other means (got the box-set but no DVD player...) and couldn’t find certain episodes. Such as the Lionel Tribbey episode and 17 people which are absolute classics.

I also believe Sorkin is going to bring it back in some format if Biden wins. He’s always said he wants to but just can’t think of an idea.

Parma Dewol

I also believe Sorkin is going to bring it back in some format if Biden wins. He’s always said he wants to but just can’t think of an idea.
Hope it happens. Sam running for president, Josh as his Chief of Staff. Would love to see it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hope it happens. Sam running for president, Josh as his Chief of Staff. Would love to see it.
Sam might be my least favourite of the main cast. If any of the Dems run it should be Will Bailey.

I'm want a spin-off with Ainsley Hayes as the star and it be all about her trying to get the Republican nomination. They could have almost a whole new cast and occasionally drop in an old favourite.

Parma Dewol

Sam might be my least favourite of the main cast. If any of the Dems run it should be Will Bailey.

I'm want a spin-off with Ainsley Hayes as the star and it be all about her trying to get the Republican nomination. They could have almost a whole new cast and occasionally drop in an old favourite.
You're probably right, would make sense to mix it up a bit. Think I let nostalgia get the better of me, always liked that scene where Bartlet tells Sam "someday you're going to run for President." If Jed says it, it has to be true.

Whatever they do, it would be a crime not to bring back Toby. Toby is awesome.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I’d like Charlie myself. Maybe a spin-off at a congressional office. I don’t see Rob Lowe being involved as he’s a big part of why Sorkin left and the cast resented him for it. May all be forgiven now though as he did come back for the special.

OleBoiii

This is on my "to watch" list, but I have two questions:

1. Is this show actually good, or is it just that TV used to be so shit that anything decent from the 90's/early 2000s automatically gets praised to death from the people who watched it back then?
2. How annoying is Sorkin's writing in this one? Reference:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This is on my "to watch" list, but I have two questions:

1. Is this show actually good, or is it just that TV used to be so shit that anything decent from the 90's/early 2000s automatically gets praised to death from the people who watched it back then?
2. How annoying is Sorkin's writing in this one? Reference:

I'm currently in the middle of a rewatch, about 3/4 through, and it is good but not quite as good as I recalled. There are a lot of filler episodes, the writing of a lot of the female characters is clumsy at best (I say clumsy, because I think Sorkin/writing staff probably feel like for some of the female characters they are presenting strong, independant women, but they often give them weird quirks that mess it up), it is slightly dated now and generally speaking it's very one-sided. It's also kinda lame in some moments when characters are meant to be doing "cool" stuff.

But there is a lot to like about it. The writing, for the large part, is very good, Martin Sheen's portrayal of Jed Bartlet is quite beautiful (as are those of some other characters - mainly Toby, whose character I appreciated more upon every rewatch), there are some true classic episodes that hold up even in this day and age of great TV, and after a slight lull midway (when the writing staff changed), I recall it getting even better over the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

LARulz

I’d like Charlie myself. Maybe a spin-off at a congressional office. I don’t see Rob Lowe being involved as he’s a big part of why Sorkin left and the cast resented him for it. May all be forgiven now though as he did come back for the special.
Wait, what happened between Rob Lowe and Sorkin?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We've been bingeing this the last week or so. Watched Let Bartlet Be Bartlet last night, so good! Nearly at the end of Season One.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
We've been bingeing this the last week or so. Watched Let Bartlet Be Bartlet last night, so good! Nearly at the end of Season One.
Buckle up.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I’ve continued my rewatch past the end of season 4 this time around and whilst season 5 outside of a few highlights was a bit of a chore season 6 is far better than I remember. Vinick is a brilliant character.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What was the beef between Lowe and Sorkin? Was it more than just wages?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We've just finished Season 3. Thought it was a bit cheap that they introduced the secret service guy and killed him off in that way like 3 episodes later. I suppose back then it may not have been so predictable but man you could see it coming a mile off. Also what kind of agent takes down a robber and doesn't secure the rest of the store? Even I was thinking make sure there's not someone else in there but no he gets up and strolls towards to counter talking about Mars bars :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We've just finished Season 3. Thought it was a bit cheap that they introduced the secret service guy and killed him off in that way like 3 episodes later. I suppose back then it may not have been so predictable but man you could see it coming a mile off. Also what kind of agent takes down a robber and doesn't secure the rest of the store? Even I was thinking make sure there's not someone else in there but no he gets up and strolls towards to counter talking about Mars bars :lol:
Epic scene when CJ got told though, with Hallelujah playing over it.