Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd literally go away from some decisions and their consequences thinking oh my god,am I'm a horrible person for this? :lol:
Yeah this is good in a game. It does annoy me a bit though that you can think you're choosing the right decision for a reason in your head, but the game has other ideas.

EG in Red Dead 2
I chose to get the money at the end, because I overthought it and thought he'd give it to John for his family. Turns that was the greedy bastard option and I got second worst ending.

That said, Witcher 3 does it quite well, because it gets across the unpredictability of it all.

Irwin99

Started the game again after two and a half years since I first beat it and the two DLCs. I'm enjoying it a lot already. I don't consider myself a very skilful player but i've put it on the second hardest difficulty this time (broken bones or something). Just left White Orchid. Determined to play Gwent this time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm going to start my third play through soon. Anybody played it on the hardest difficulty? Also is new game plus worth it? Don't see the point of having all the best gear from the get go

narnar

Needs Help
I'm going to start my third play through soon. Anybody played it on the hardest difficulty? Also is new game plus worth it? Don't see the point of having all the best gear from the get go
From what I remember of NG+, the weapons you carry over were soon replaced by early game weapons as they were so ineffective. I think the only advantage was having all the perks early.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I played it on the hardest difficulty on my first play through :lol: brutal it was. Boss fights were annoying af, hate the repeating of things which all bosses are.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Always Deathmarch. And absolutely NG+. Your gear is actually shitty again when you start over, because there is a new legendary version of all witcher gear, and everything else is simply upscaled. The good thing is that your potions, decoctions, and powers still make you much more versatile. NG+ is, imho, a much better experience than a vanilla run.

amolbhatia50k

Always Deathmarch. And absolutely NG+. Your gear is actually shitty again when you start over, because there is a new legendary version of all witcher gear, and everything else is simply upscaled. The good thing is that your potions, decoctions, and powers still make you much more versatile. NG+ is, imho, a much better experience than a vanilla run.
Interesting. So death march and new game plus.

Art Vandelay

If you have Aerondight from Blood and Wine you won't need another silver sword. I'm about 20 hours into an ng+ and still using it. Didn't need to upgrade armour from the manticore stuff until after White Orchard either.

Hardest difficulty is fine, turn enemy scaling on too for extra fun. It's not too difficult, but getting hit in the back from anything may outright kill you even with quen up. Which I think makes it more interesting and causes you to have to control the battlefield more.

@GhastlyHun is right, it feels like ng+ is how it's supposed to be played. If you have everything upgraded then you feel like a witcher from the start.

amolbhatia50k

If you have Aerondight from Blood and Wine you won't need another silver sword. I'm about 20 hours into an ng+ and still using it. Didn't need to upgrade armour from the manticore stuff until after White Orchard either.

Hardest difficulty is fine, turn enemy scaling on too for extra fun. It's not too difficult, but getting hit in the back from anything may outright kill you even with quen up. Which I think makes it more interesting and causes you to have to control the battlefield more.

@GhastlyHun is right, it feels like ng+ is how it's supposed to be played. If you have everything upgraded then you feel like a witcher from the start.
Sounds good. Only thing is I like to get new and better looking and feeling gear. With NG plus I imagine I'll have the best and merely be scaling everything up.

Art Vandelay

Sounds good. Only thing is I like to get new and better looking and feeling gear. With NG plus I imagine I'll have the best and merely be scaling everything up.
There's new legendary versions of all the witcher gear which upgrades them again, I think it changes the look again too but can't remember. There are still upgrades to be got.

amolbhatia50k

There's new legendary versions of all the witcher gear which upgrades them again, I think it changes the look again too but can't remember. There are still upgrades to be got.
Nice. Think I'll start up a NG+ and play the entire thing including DLCs after I'm done with AC Odyssey which, despite copying everything about TW3 down to the bone, is proving to be quite a chore.

Irwin99

I feel like a lot of the game's imitators misunderstood what made the side content so interesting here. The side quest characters all feel a part of the world and are all struggling in some way and I feel intrigued to know their circumstances and to see how my choices affect their story. In the last Tomb Raider, AC: Odyssey, Mass Effect Andromeda, and even HZD to some extent, I just don't care to go out of my way for a lot of the characters or I really begrudge trailing halfway round a map on some crappy quest to get a half decent item. I think it helps that the Witcher is a lot darker than those games and can focus on mature themes which engage the player more.

Since I'm playing a harder difficulty level than my first play through I robbed the guy issuing the contract of his daughters dowry. Seemed mean but Witchers don't work for free right and i'm guessing harder difficulty means less opportunity for money?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Started the game again after two and a half years since I first beat it and the two DLCs. I'm enjoying it a lot already. I don't consider myself a very skilful player but i've put it on the second hardest difficulty this time (broken bones or something). Just left White Orchid. Determined to play Gwent this time.
Dude im also currently in my second playthrough, and the first time i couldn't get to bother with Gwent. This time i decided to give it a go and im loving it so far, thinking seriously to get the gwent ps4 game itself. It's absolutely great and to me it's better than Heartstone if youve ever heard from it (card game spinoff from world of warcraft)

Man. TW3 is definitively my fav game ever

Art Vandelay

Nice. Think I'll start up a NG+ and play the entire thing including DLCs after I'm done with AC Odyssey which, despite copying everything about TW3 down to the bone, is proving to be quite a chore.
I found all the AC games like that, they are even worse now after playing TW3 and them subsequently trying to copy it. They just aren't worth the time commitment, especially as they seem to have no interest in actually going anywhere with the overarching plot and will happily just piss on it when it suits them. I like the idea, but the execution feels so soulless.

amolbhatia50k

I found all the AC games like that, they are even worse now after playing TW3 and them subsequently trying to copy it. They just aren't worth the time commitment, especially as they seem to have no interest in actually going anywhere with the overarching plot and will happily just piss on it when it suits them. I like the idea, but the execution feels so soulless.
I'm nearly 40 hours into Odyssey. It's actually very well done but I reached my saturation point at 27 hours or so. I've just been dragging myself through the main quests only for the last 10-13 hours and it's been a real chore. They've copied everything about this Witcher excellently but failed on two absolutely key counts - 1) the writing of the Witcher was exceptional. You wanted to hear even the tiniest of detail and story for this reason and this caused you to be invested. In AC I'm done with sidequests and am just trying to breeze through the main story quests. 2) Witcher's world was big but the good kind of big. Every part of the map had its own sense of individuality and enjoyability. It was big enough to be vast and contained enough to not feel pointless. In Odyssey I've now travelled to location after location, and the map is absolutely enormous. But it all seems incredibly samey. You'll see that wonderful building/statue in nearly every City. Nothing seems to matter at that point.

So yeah, I'm contemplating just going throughout ACs cutscwnes on YouTube and rebooting Witcher 3 or God of War.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can agree with that - to an extent; the glory of TW3 comes in its characters development and it’s unconventional side stories, sure.

But... I still don’t think HZD has a better story. The premise is more interesting, but I don’t think the story is told in a captivating manner. 60% of it is you roaming the world alone with Cedric Daniels as Alfred in your ear.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dude im also currently in my second playthrough, and the first time i couldn't get to bother with Gwent. This time i decided to give it a go and im loving it so far, thinking seriously to get the gwent ps4 game itself. It's absolutely great and to me it's better than Heartstone if youve ever heard from it (card game spinoff from world of warcraft)

Man. TW3 is definitively my fav game ever
Just a heads up, the modern day gwent has completely changed from the gwent in W3.

It’s still very good but it’s a completely different way of playing, so don’t expect to walk straight into it and do well.

Irwin99

I LOVE Gwent now I actually understand it. I’m actually picking up trophies I didn’t get in my first play through . Finding the difficulty on blood and broken bones just right although for the werewolf mission in Velen

urghh,I couldn’t be bothered to fight it twice after already dying ten times before that so I left his sister in law to get murdered by it....she seemed a heartless shrew anyway. I think I let her live on the first playthrough but she can do one on this difficulty

Ainu

I've got the singleplayer Gwent game (Thronebreaker) sitting on my PS4, having bought it during a sale. Anyone played it yet? It's supposed to have a more than decent story campaign.

Leg-End

I've got the singleplayer Gwent game (Thronebreaker) sitting on my PS4, having bought it during a sale. Anyone played it yet? It's supposed to have a more than decent story campaign.
It's good but so buggy, will often just decide to crash or stop the buttons working.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Gwent is the single best mini game I've ever played within a game.

Didn't really like the stand alone game though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dead March is annoying as feck in the beginning of the game. It gets easier the further you get.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
For those who played Gwent and have the expansions, what's your thoughts on the Skellige deck?

I think it's pretty handy once you've got some decent cards and if you use it correctly.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Gwent is the single best mini game I've ever played within a game.

Didn't really like the stand alone game though.
This.

In fact, Gwent is the single best gameplay mechanic in TW3 full stop.

Are you on PC? If so, the difficulty mods are so much better it's unreal. Death March is unbalanced as feck, but with no other option worth playing for the most part.

NYAS

For those who played Gwent and have the expansions, what's your thoughts on the Skellige deck?

I think it's pretty handy once you've got some decent cards and if you use it correctly.
The Cerys card is absurdly strong, probably the strongest in the game alongside the Avallach spy. If you’re playing against it and don’t have a Scorch or Biting Frost then you might as well forfeit the match.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The Cerys card is absurdly strong, probably the strongest in the game alongside the Avallach spy. If you’re playing against it and don’t have a Scorch or Biting Frost then you might as well forfeit the match.
That's the one that summons the three Shield Maidens right, then they all double each others points?

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I don't get a chance to play computer games much these days, but I've been playing this recently and I have to say it's one of the best I've ever played.

The combat isn't perfect, the horse is an oaf, the swimming is genuinely the worst I've ever experienced in a game, the potion/oil sh*t is mostly unnecessary and convoluted, there's way too much stuff to loot and at the beginning you have no idea what you should steal (mostly from right in front of a peasant whose house you've just barged into I should add) and yet....I was hooked from the start. The story and characters were excellent and the atmosphere is the business.

Plus those hags in the swamp were the creepiest fuc*ers I've ever seen in a game. And most movies for that matter.

Andersons Dietician

Crones were cool but nah there is a cave near the Raidian border which you have to be a high level to do. Completed the game twice and I’ve had a quick look in the cave and something is in there but I don’t know what it is. I heard a noise and ran out of there sharpish but the entrance is soaked with blood so I’m thinking a vampire. You can also hear screams from within the cave.

Art Vandelay

Crones were cool but nah there is a cave near the Raidian border which you have to be a high level to do. Completed the game twice and I’ve had a quick look in the cave and something is in there but I don’t know what it is. I heard a noise and ran out of there sharpish but the entrance is soaked with blood so I’m thinking a vampire. You can also hear screams from within the cave.
Is that near Crow's Perch?

Andersons Dietician

Is that near Crow's Perch?
It’s called the Border post where all the refugees are. I think it’s down from the Inn at the crossroads but Crows Pearce isn’t that far. When you approach the border post you just head left and follow the water/path and there is a cave there. I think I did read about it once and there is some sort of mythical blood armour in there.

Irwin99

I really regret not going for the top difficulty now I’ve started my second playthrough on broken bones difficulty. I’m actually getting good at gwent and have managed to get some trophies that I found too annoying to get on my first playthrough. I think i would have had a good chance at the platinum if I had been braver.

The difficulty is much easier than anticipated if you upgrade the right abilities. The one where you can regenerate for 20 mins after eating food is ridiculously useful.

Just finished the crones and have gone to novigrad and met Triss.

I’ve seen the option of what happens if you free the spirit from the tree but I’m just curious if anyone picked this one on a moral level. I made as if to do it but betrayed her at the last second just for a giggle. Sad about the kids though

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Death March is the only difficulty the game should be played on, and I'm someone who hates overly difficult games like Soulsborne.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Death March is the only difficulty the game should be played on, and I'm someone who hates overly difficult games like Soulsborne.
Quite. I'm also absolutely no masochist when it comes to gaming, but in TW3 I feel Death March gives the most rewarding experience (apart from a few boxing fights, screw those).