Television The Witcher | Netflix | There are book spoilers here

jeff_goldblum

I think it works with most shows but for their bigger, more popular shows like this and Stranger Things they'd probably benefit from the Amazon model of releasing 3 and then weekly after that to build up the hype machine. Releasing in full for newer shows makes sense as a lot of people love a good weekend binge and won't lose interest. It's a model that's been very successful for them.

It's ruined things for me, there's very few shows I can be arsed with if they're released weekly anymore, only really, really good ones. Anything that's not overly special I just lose interest, and most of their content is watchable but nothing great.
Over lockdown to get some sense of routine back into our lives we picked 5 'proper' shows where we'd watch one episode a week on a set day of the week like it was normal telly (e.g - Show 1 on Mondays, Show 2 on Tuesdays etc.). It fell off when we finished a couple of the shows and couldn't decide what to replace them with but I can't recommend it enough.

)_(

I seriously don't get Netflix' obsession with binge releases. Between episodes you're not able to reflect for yourself, or even discuss with others online (without risking spoilers in return). There really is no hype or excitement built up when you immediately can jump to the next episode. First season was good but the hype was dead two weeks after release because everyone had seen the entire thing over Christmas. Horrible concept.
I agree especially with a show like this where you kinda want to build up that hype, get people talking about theories, what happened, whats gonna happen etc, where you really want to get that fandom aspect going, you really need to have some time in between episodes to give people time to catch up and engage with the material.
They should just do it like other shows where they drop 2 episodes, give people something to stick their teeth in and then do weekly drops.
Now, it's like you said, you watch it and then you sit there at the end... and what's left to discuss, "oh yea it was cool, it was shit etc" you don't really stay hyped for very long that way. One conversation with a friend and it's kinda over. No time to put 2 and 2 together or reflect back on what that thing in last week's episode actually meant with the new info you get in the next episode etc.

kidbob

Call me crazy but I thought this was a flagship show for Netflix, yet when I searched it to rewatch the anime 'Nightmare of the Wolf' (which is actually very good) they hadn't even got the next season release date on either it or the main season. I understand it is tomorrow? Strange that they don't have it front and center when you are on the home screen, especially considering after the first season it has the potential to be excellent. Also the fanbase, from the books but especially the games, must be massive.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Call me crazy but I thought this was a flagship show for Netflix, yet when I searched it to rewatch the anime 'Nightmare of the Wolf' (which is actually very good) they hadn't even got the next season release date on either it or the main season. I understand it is tomorrow? Strange that they don't have it front and center when you are on the home screen, especially considering after the first season it has the potential to be excellent. Also the fanbase, from the books but especially the games, must be massive.
It’s definitely a flagship for them, but I think I see your point: providers are weird about release dates these days. Like, during the pandemic I noticed I had to spend effort to find when a show was dropping in my hemisphere and I was like WTF? Don’t you want people to know? I don’t get it.

But this show does have legs in terms of views and I think they’ll keep funding it.

roseguy64

This was helpful as a quick recap since I can't dedicate enough time to catch up before the new season drops.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Really curious how close to the books they will stay.. There all already some quite large apparent deviations in season 1.

Looking forward to it!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Damn I wanted to rewatch season 1 for this one. Now itll probably take too long and I ain't waiting that long for season 2.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Damn I wanted to rewatch season 1 for this one. Now itll probably take too long and I ain't waiting that long for season 2.
Just binged it over the last 2 days. Genuinely forgot how much I enjoyed it, especially after getting past the first episode. Can't wait till tomorrow!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just binged it over the last 2 days. Genuinely forgot how much I enjoyed it, especially after getting past the first episode. Can't wait till tomorrow!
I watched the sword fight from the first episode at least 25 million times. Though, it's awesome in general, that scene just cemented it as a cool show for me right away.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I watched the sword fight from the first episode at least 25 million times. Though, it's awesome in general.
Not saying Ep. 1 was bad, just clunky. Still enjoyed it and the sword fight was fantastic. Seeing Geralt use Aard exactly as I envisioned it during the fight gave me such great hope for the series.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not saying Ep. 1 was bad, just clunky. Still enjoyed it and the sword fight was fantastic. Seeing Geralt use Aard exactly as I envisioned it during the fight gave me such great hope for the series.
Yeah, it became much more interesting as it went on. Especially as a book nerd. Really interest Ed to see where they will go as I've purposefully avoided everything about it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, it became much more interesting as it went on. Especially as a book nerd. Really interest Ed to see where they will go as I've purposefully avoided everything about it.
The Witcher 3 led me to the books and I re-listen to them every year. At least the ones that have been translated and are on audible. Love them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Witcher 3 led me to the books and I re-listen to them every year. At least the ones that have been translated and are on audible. Love them.
I'm so much cooler then, because I read them after The Witcher 2. :wenger:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm so much cooler then, because I read them after The Witcher 2. :wenger:
Probably true. I had never heard of the Witcher series before and only rented #3 from GameFly because it was highly rated and available. Lucky for me!

)_(

The first episode leaked. Curious to see how much they'll stick to a "case of the week" format. Not much to say about it really.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just finished my rewatch. This show got so good at the end. If if keeps growing at that pace season 2 will be amazing. The lore of the Witcher world is so good. Can’t wait for my 2022 re-read(listen)!

Woodzy

The first episode leaked. Curious to see how much they'll stick to a "case of the week" format. Not much to say about it really.
Can’t remember the books well but I vaguely remember that first episode as one of the stories in the second book, and as mention before the first two books are very ‘case of the week’ since they are short stories.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Just finished episode 1. Loved it. Great acting and cinematography. Just looks and feels like the Witcher.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just finished the first episode of season 2. Really enjoyed it as this was one of my favorite stories from the books. The production value seemed higher than season 1, so hopefully this means better CGI for this season. Fantastic way to start it off!

pascell

Completely forgot about this season dropping today, tempted to skip this thread until I'm off for Christmas and binge watch season 1 & 2 together. Glad to hear the first episode is worth watching!

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Finished my binge of S2, sadness ensues.

Two first episodes had me a bit worried about this season tbh, just didn't feel right. But my god did it pick up after that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Finished my binge of S2, sadness ensues.

Two first episodes had me a bit worried about this season tbh, just didn't feel right. But my god did it pick up after that.
You've done exactly what I want to avoid! I'm desperate to try and drag it out but let's see what my resolve is like!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So 2 episodes in and:

We are at the beginning of The Witcher 3??? Not looking for any spoilers, just a running commentary here but I guess that makes sense. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Witcher fans came to it via The Witcher 3 and when you consider how vast that game was it makes sense. I am super hooked.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So 2 episodes in and:

We are at the beginning of The Witcher 3??? Not looking for any spoilers, just a running commentary here but I guess that makes sense. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Witcher fans came to it via The Witcher 3 and when you consider how vast that game was it makes sense. I am super hooked.
Well, it is still before the flashback in the prologue of TW3 (and thus of course long before TW3 proper).

Revan

Assumptionman
So 2 episodes in and:

Well, this is just given as flashback there. But story wise, no.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watched the first episode of season 2, really enjoyed it. Was wondering where I heard that voice before and realised who it was at the end.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I thought it was what we hoped, an improvement on the foundation built in S1. Some of the actors are growing into their roles like Dandelion…err…I mean Jaskier, Triss, and Yen. They seem more like the characters I‘ve known for so long, even if parts of their story arcs are low points in the show. Some of the side characters are good as well, like the priestess.

Still not sold on Ciri, which is a shame as she’s so important. And the new villain mage guy was meh.

Most everyone probably knew the big reveal at the end, but it was good closure to finally see it. Overall, I’d say it was a success.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
binge watching completed. This season was so very good. The way they set up the Yen/Ciri/Geralt family relationship was perfect. I desperately want more.

AaronRedDevil

Episode 4 I think? What did they do to my guy Eskel :(. That's a waste of a good character

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Had a late one got 2 episodes left - I think it's superb. I enjoyed season one but this is a different level and a proper story.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This might be one of my favorite TV show seasons ever. The show itself is not at that level, but when combined with how it met expectations, told a fantastic story, and set things up for an even better season it ranks right up there.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Anya has been a revelation as Yen, she has really grown into the role.
2. Freya Allan is getting better, and I will give her a pass for season 1 as her character was poorly written. She really started to grow the last half of season 2.
3. Seeing the Snow Owl and screaming at the TV "It's Philippa"
4. Need more Jasker!
5. I was also upset when Eskel died. Not sure why they did it, but since they had to change the actor for season 2 maybe they just didn't want to deal with it??
6. It will be interesting to see if they do the fall of the brotherhood or leave it in place.
7. I just restarted the books. Need to separate them from the game as they are a jumbled mess in my head.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So the general consensus here is that it's better than the first season? That's giving me hope

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The first season was pretty average but they were constrained by budget and the fact that the opening books are a series of short stories rather than a coherent serial plot line.