Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houdini

I hope it won't end like Sweinsteiger/Falcoa etc. but for 30-max40mil it's a better bussines than Grealish.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does feel like this could be another Sanchez, player entering his 30's, automatically made one of the highest earners at the club with a questionable injury record meaning he could be getting paid that for not actually contributing, potentially a round peg in a square hole that destabilises the team on the pitch as well as off of it

Things to consider before anyone gets too giddy just because it's Thiago, Sanchez was worth signing because it was Alexis Sanchez and again look how that's turned out

Cheekiey

Worth the gamble for €40m, If we did sign him I think Thiago and Matic would rotate unless an injury to one of Pogba or Bruno occurred (Thiago being 1st choice over Matic)

mav_9me

I doubt Thiago is good enough defensively to play as lone DM particularly in epl

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn't mind signing him. Can play as DMF in easier matches, and also rotate with Pogba. The drop in quality when we take Pogba or Bruno off is too big, having Thiago there would make it more manageable and we wouldn't need to play those two every match.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It is a story about Rafinha. It says that Rafinha would like to try his luck in the Premier League, which could coincide with his brother Thiago's move to England, as he is about to leave Bayern to sign for Manchester United.

It's a strange throw away line to have at the end of a piece about Rafinha. I doubt there is any substance in it.
Thanks

crossy1686

career ending
There's no chance. This is exactly the kind of signing we won't be making anymore.

He's after a new contract. Failing that, I'd guess that PSG/Juve might take a look.
Bayern’s chairman has already said he’s leaving, they’re going to sell him. Personally I think he’s Barcelona bound.

crossy1686

career ending
I cant help but let out the pessimist in me whenever Bayern are willing to move on one of their top players.

And,from experience, Bayern are willing to let him go. They're immaculately savvy when signing players and especially moving them on.
They're very good at creating a certain narrative for their particular media chums to chew over and spit out.
They’re not though, they’ve offered him a new deal and he’s told them he doesn’t want to sign it, he wants a new challenge instead. That’s the only reason they’re selling him this summer. He’s got 12 months left on his deal and they want to get something for him so he doesn’t leave on a free.

mav_9me

I mean, Carrick wasn’t and he did alright?
But Carrick was a holding midfielder all along similar to busquets for example. Thiago is more of xavi/Scholes etc in terms of the metronome passed no? Maybe I'm wrong.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
But Carrick was a holding midfielder all along similar to busquets for example. Thiago is more of xavi/Scholes etc in terms of the metronome passed no? Maybe I'm wrong.
This is exactly what I thought. He isn’t Verrati to play the holding role.

Silas

This is exactly what I thought. He isn’t Verrati to play the holding role.
If he can play there against Real in a CL semi, I reckon he'll be alright.

croadyman

€40m seriously??? And he's not 30 till next year. If he only plays half our games in a season, that amount would look the steal of the year! When a guy like this becomes available, you delete Jack Grealish and VdB's numbers if you have nothing left over to afford either of them.

Edit: For a fee that low, a club like United could easily afford him and another midfielder. While getting rid of the deadwood to claw back costs.
Yeah he is the one creative midfield player that could make me not feel not fussed about not signing Grealish.

Woody needs to be all over this deal if the scousers won't pay up what Bayern want for him.

Personally I think this would not be another Schweinsteiger/Sanchez and think he can still offer something to us for a couple of years.

Irrational.

No thanks. I'm still heartbroken by the 'Nos Vamos En Manchester' saga and Pratt Guardiola swooping in.

Also Bayern are great at selling us their past-prime, injury-prone, burnt-out lemons for an inflated fee. We're clearly targeting a different profile of player thesedays.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don’t think you can have too many quality players like him in your squad. But Thiago would be signed tomorrow be a starter and I don’t see where he fits in. We have Pogba and Bruno and putting him in the Matic role feels like a square peg in a round hole. He’s absolutely quality and one injury to Bruno or Pogba and he’d be worth his weight in gold, but I just don’t see it. Despite me loving the fantasista element to his play.

For a creative attacking mid for rotational purposes, it’s Grealish all day long for me. At a club like us he should be delighted to play a rotational role.

I don’t even think we should be using our funds on midfield this summer anyway. Not enough money and other, bigger priorities.

Judas

Open to offers
I doubt Thiago is good enough defensively to play as lone DM particularly in epl
Totally agree, I'm baffled by people thinking that would work. He's quality, but in that role? Unless we were against the very worst teams it wouldn't work, even then I think it would end in a lot of trouble.

sherrinford

Totally agree, I'm baffled by people thinking that would work. He's quality, but in that role? Unless we were against the very worst teams it wouldn't work, even then I think it would end in a lot of trouble.
There’s no question he can play that role - holding midfield is one of the positions he excels in. The uncertainty for me would be around just how complimentary a combination of Pogba and him (and Fernandes) would be, stylistically.

In theory, I would say both McTominay and Fred are better fits as a no.8 next to Thiago as a no.6, but that doesn’t mean that would be better, because neither have the quality Pogba has.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hard pass. Give me Kimmich and I’ll gladly pay 100 million
Pass at what? He would instantly be our best player in possession and make a mockery of pressing from the likes of Southampton.

Kimmich would be great but he's never leaving Bayern.

Nickelodeon

I'm really excited about this link. Thiago can be perfect cover for either Bruno or Pogba without any major loss in quality. He can be perfect for the Pogba position and Pogba can be pushed further ahead if we need to rotate Bruno.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Apparently, was his brother that said he's coming. Scared to believe it. Haven't recovered from 2013.

Siorac

Apparently, was his brother that said he's coming. Scared to believe it. Haven't recovered from 2013.
I made the mistake of reading an article about it, and it had this line in it:

However, Thiago moved instead to Bayern Munich, while Moyes instead shelled out £27.5m to sign Marouane Fellaini.
Oh god, the PTSD. I don't think I'll ever be the same.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No thanks. Bayern don't sell top players without a good reason. Aging, injury prone, high wages and not a DM so he's coming to be a back up is he? Paper talk is all this is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No thanks. Bayern don't sell top players without a good reason. Aging, injury prone, high wages and not a DM so he's coming to be a back up is he? Paper talk is all this is.
He is refusing to sign a new contract. Not as if they are pushing him away.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Clearly a class player, but he has had a lot of injury problems, hasn't he? Are those all behind him? Might be a bit of a luxury for us now that our midfield is basically sorted and as long as Pogba stays. Still, I guess for the right price... maybe he could replace Mata...

bsCallout

Don't like this signing, don't believe it either.

I don't get what role he'd play for a start.

It was be very aggressive tactically for Ole to play Thiago, Pogba & Bruno.

On paper though its exciting:

Pogba - Thiago - Bruno
Sancho - Martial - Rashford

These signings have never worked for us.

Did we have 40mil for a CM (see Bellingham link) and we're just looking to spend it somewhere. Hopefully not at the expense of a CB.

sincher

Don't like this signing, don't believe it either.

I don't get what role he'd play for a start.

It was be very aggressive tactically for Ole to play Thiago, Pogba & Bruno.

On paper though its exciting:

Pogba - Thiago - Bruno
Sancho - Martial - Rashford

These signings have never worked for us.

Did we have 40mil for a CM (see Bellingham link) and we're just looking to spend it somewhere. Hopefully not at the expense of a CB.
Yeah that midfield might not be competitive enough against good sides. Hard to get the ball off us, though!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
More surprised a return to Barca hadn’t been rumored yet - especially with Arthur leaving.
They replaced him with Pjanic.

Barca are massively skint btw.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How can anyone watch the way this team crumbles without Bruno and Pogba and not be interested in Thiago? Even if he could only play 30 games a season, the fact it'd allow us to give Bruno and Pogba a rest would be worth its weight. Look how knackered both Bruno and Pogba looked against Southampton. Look how much worse we got when they got subbed. Are people really telling me they wouldn't prefer to see Thiago coming on instead of Fred and/or McTominay?

Varun

Staff
How can anyone watch the way this team crumbles without Bruno and Pogba and not be interested in Thiago? Even if he could only play 30 games a season, the fact it'd allow us to give Bruno and Pogba a rest would be worth its weight. Look how knackered both Bruno and Pogba looked against Southampton. Look how much worse we got when they got subbed. Are people really telling me they wouldn't prefer to see Thiago coming on instead of Fred and/or McTominay?
Yeah but then I don't think he's going to come to play 2nd fiddle to them. He's as good if not better than both of them. I'd love him here because he's fecking brilliant but how do you fit them all in?

sincher

I think in most cases it's just a question of where we should focus our investment given there will be a hole in everyone's finances including our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.