Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Neviller

From what we know, Barca have no power to obstruct the move. The delay has to originate in the Thiago camp. My guess is he's hoping against hope that 'something will turn up'.
Even though article after article suggests the buy out clause isn't as straight forward as that, and a similar clause caused Bayern problems with the Martinez move?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd rather we just knew nothing until a transfer is announced. No rumours or anything. Can't stand the waiting.

acrebo

From what we know, Barca have no power to obstruct the move. The delay has to originate in the Thiago camp. My guess is he's hoping against hope that 'something will turn up'.
Whilst true, they have no legal power to obstruct it from what we've heard, they can sure as hell delay things by being difficult.

You have no legal power to not pay your electricity bill but you can most definitely delay payment a long time by employing delay tactics.

This isn't really dragging on that badly - 4 days ago he was celebrating an U21's title. It's this thread that makes things feel slow and drawn out. If, IF, he were to sign this week it would actually be a very quick, efficient piece of business. Especially considering the particularly public nature of it.

Giggsforever

Even though article after article suggests the buy out clause isn't as straight forward as that, and a similar clause caused Bayern problems with the Martinez move?
There is the issue of the added tax. It's very much straight forward, and it will not be a problem.

United will probably, out of respect, hold talks with Barca regardless. Then there is also the issue of getting the player to sign. In addition, everyone is on holiday and it's a catalon holiday today.

The Neviller

There is the issue of the added tax. It's very much straight forward, and it will not be a problem.

United will probably, out of respect, hold talks with Barca regardless. Then there is also the issue of getting the player to sign. In addition, everyone is on holiday and it's a catalon holiday today.
Yeah, I was suggesting to the guy I quoted that articles suggested the delay is purely down to Barca holding the deal up, not Thiago "hoping something comes up".

I don't think we'll get him, but I'm at least reading the stories.

Will Absolute

Hopefully, I'm completely wrong. If the signing is announced tomorrow, I'll happily eat the egg on my face, down to the last piece of burnt omelette.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Lets's hope he doesn't have a GF back in Spain called Tara, who is trying to keep him around.

Thiago Alcantara = I can't go, Tara H.

Its off. :(

Thiago Alcantara = Hi, Alana - go, rat cat!

^Conclusive stuff there^

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
It's dragging on a bit. The most obvious explanation is that Thiago is reluctant to cut the umbilical cord, and still hoping for an improved offer from Barca with some assurances about playing time.
Absolutely impossible scenario because Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets will always, always start for them as a 3 in the big games. And Fabregas is next in line for a midfield spot anyway when he isn't shunted up front. Sounds like Barca wanting everything and whinging when they don't get it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Two high ranked Man United executives have talked with Thiago's father on Friday. He has been offered a 5-year deal worth 6M a year. [mundo deportivo]

Man United want to meet with Barcelona now to say they will pay Thiago's 21.7M buyout fee. Thiago also wants final talks with Barcelona [mundo deportivo]

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Can we ban Neviller if this goes through. Bastard always gets me, and now I don't think we'll get him.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Hot off the press:

Manchester United faced with wait as Thiago Alcântara makes up his mind

James Ducker Northern Football Correspondent
Published 1 minute ago
Barcelona are planning a last-ditch attempt to keep Thiago Alcântara, with Manchester United aware that their prospects of signing the Spain Under-21 captain will hinge on his willingness to see through his threat to quit the Nou Camp.

As Manchester City conceded defeat in their efforts to lure Isco, the Málaga playmaker, who has verbally agreed to join Real Madrid this summer, United face an anxious wait to discover whether they can prise Spain’s other outstanding young midfielder from Barcelona’s grasp.

United are eager to complete an £18 million deal for Thiago, who helped Spain to retain their European Under-21 Championship crown with a hat-trick in their 4-2 win over Italy in the final last week, before the club fly to Bangkok for the start of their preseason tour to Australasia a fortnight tomorrow.

The Barclays Premier League champions believe that the guarantee of a regular starting place next season, which Barcelona have been unable to give Thiago, coupled with the offer of a five-year contract from which the 22-year-old stands to quadruple his existing £30,000-a-week earnings, should be enough to entice him to Old Trafford.

United are thought to have agreed personal terms with Thiago after further talks with his representatives over the weekend, with the club in a position to trigger the €18 million (about £15.3 million) release clause in his contract at Barcelona, even though the fee would probably rise by an additional £3 million after tax. But there is concern at Old Trafford that Thiago, who has two years left on his contract at the Nou Camp, could still be persuaded to stay at the Spanish champions.

Barcelona are willing to offer the 22-year-old a lucrative, long-term extension and have urged the player to be patient after emphasising that they regard him as the heir apparent to Xavi Hernández, their midfield maestro, who is 33.

If United succeeded in signing Thiago, it is understood that the club would still have the scope to mount an ambitious bid to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo, the unsettled Real Madrid forward. However, approaches for Cesc Fàbregas, Thiago’s £35 million-rated Barcelona team-mate, or Robert Lewandowski, the Borussia Dortmund striker, who would cost about £25 million, would almost certainly lead to a move for Ronaldo being postponed for another year.

With Isco opting to join Real and an approach for Edinson Cavani, the Napoli striker, effectively ruled out, City are likely to focus their efforts on signing a new centre half. Pepe, the Real defender, remains a target.

Juventus are monitoring Aleksandar Kolarov, the City left back, in addition to Carlos Tévez, the striker, while Hull City are expected to follow up their inquiry about Costel Pantilimon, the City and Romania goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.