Things you really hate about the football/modern game

kidbob

The refusal to have video technology and therefore giving referees an incredibly hard job because players can get away with cheating and too many games are decided by poor decisions. Especially the idea that video reffing would slow the game down too much when we see 4 minute long celebrations after every goal, substitutions that take 3 minutes, every free takes 3 to 4 minutes etc. Ironically football is one of the slowest games in the World because players are allowed to contend with the referee and take their time over every little thing.

Also the clock should be stopped when the ball isn't in play and the whistle blown at 45 mins and 90 mins respectively.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The refusal to have video technology and therefore giving referees an incredibly hard job because players can get away with cheating and too many games are decided by poor decisions. Especially the idea that video reffing would slow the game down too much when we see 4 minute long celebrations after every goal, substitutions that take 3 minutes, every free takes 3 to 4 minutes etc. Ironically football is one of the slowest games in the World because players are allowed to contend with the referee and take their time over every little thing.

Also the clock should be stopped when the ball isn't in play and the whistle blown at 45 mins and 90 mins respectively.
If you stopped the clock when the ball wasn't in play, then you would need to play 30 minute halves, rather than 45 minutes.

Oggmonster

Diving is the obvious one, even how it's become acceptable.

How people over analyse everything to, Gary Neville is the reason I find. I don't mean opinions on players and discussing football, that's always happened. It's these people who go to the game, then watch whole thing back, then watch MOTD and finally Goals on Sunday to discuss any controversies that happened. I obviously like discussing football or I wouldn't be on a football forum but it just goes over the top some times.

kidbob

If you stopped the clock when the ball wasn't in play, then you would need to play 30 minute halves, rather than 45 minutes.
Why? I'm talking about stopping the clock for injured players, substitutions and when goals are scored. No need to stop it for every little thing like frees in the middle of the pitch and throw in etc. The ball isn't in play enough in Football and added time always seems to be completely wrong. If Rugby players can do 40 mins while taking hit after hit then footballers can do 45.

Erebus

Hats, gloves, tights (unless it's the middle of a Siberian winter when it might be excusable )! I'm still very wary of long sleeved shirts.

Deleted member 78215

Possession for possession's sake. It's insanely counter-productive to scoring.

*cough* Pep *cough*

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Everyone will say diving and play acting, so some lesser irritations that bug me.

• Yellow card for taking your shirt off.
I understand why they do this but it really pisses me off. Same with getting booked for running into the crowd.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Young lads going around with Neymar and Ronaldo haircuts and wearing pink boots.

The amount of pussies (Professionals) playing these days. Gimme a good aul' Division 4 Roscommon & District league match between Ballinasloe Town B and Sky Valley Rovers B any day of the week.

Half n' half scarves.

Rory 7

I don't like the fact that I don't really like all that many of our players. Mata was a breath of fresh air, seems like a proper pro. RVP was the same the previous year. But so many of the squad we currently have come across as spoilt brats. I don't like the fact that we had such a connection with players (like the class of 92) and now that connection just isn't nearly as strong.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I 'd agree with the video thingie. The amount of time spent arguing calls could be taken up by a quick video replay and it'd be a done deal. but Blatter says you can't do that. so, really important games can be decided by incorrect decisions instead. and that's so much better :houllier:

For feigning injury and diving. I'd be in favour of sin binning the feckers or some other retroactive, but timely, punishment. That'd put an end to it really quickly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The fecking close ups and replays of players' faces just to create a false sense of drama. Just show the bloody game and replay some of the skills displayed there, not players adjusting their hairs, spitting, crying when missing a chance :houllier:
They do this a lot in La Liga. Very annoying

bishblaize

I understand why they do this but it really pisses me off. Same with getting booked for running into the crowd.
Remember Djalminha for Deportivo when they won the league around 2000?

They haven't won the league for like 50 years or something, he comes off the bench with 10 minutes to go, hammers in the winner to win the league and takes his shirt off as the stadium explodes around him.

'Cept its his second yellow, so he gets sent off.

Then the opposition equalize.

Silly rule.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Parking the bus as the go to tactic away from home in important games (or at home as well sometimes).

I know it's effective but it's boring and crap and I hate it.
I thought that's why they brought in the away goals rule. Teams have been doing that forever and it makes it incredibly boring for any impartial fans.

away goals: they count for double ;)

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Abramovich, Nasser al Khalifa, Mansour Bin Zayed and others of the same ilk

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The amount of time wasted organising and taking free-kicks from shooting positions. It seems to waste about 60-90 seconds everytime with the ref organising the wall and telling the player taking the free-kick to wait for the whistle.

Also, the theatrics around Ronaldo's free-kicks. All that bullshit to see the ball fly 20 yards over the bar 99 times out 100.

James Redburn

Staggered
The idea if you've played football spotting a player is difficult.

The advent of headsets and set-play printouts on the touchline - it ain't gridiron.

Competitiveness almost entirely predicted by monies.

New owners like at Hull and Cardiff.

Fall of the FA cup.

Modern fans (under 35)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stats, stats, stats, all the time to prove everything!

GIT Z RED

Players who warm up for 30-40 minutes in boots then change them when they slip in a game!

Current players as guests on MOTD eg Kompany

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The wannabe-hardcore football fans that mostly show off their club merchandise and shout stuff like "GGMU!" or "Glory Glory Man. Utd.!" to show off how much of a hardcore fan they are. Why can't you just go and watch football without showing yourselves off? It doesn't matter whether you're some big-shot fan or not!

ManUtd43vr

central midfielders who turn their back on the ball. i hate seeing players in that defensive midfield role, win the ball in a tackle, knock it back to the keeper, then turn around to walk slowly up the pitch while the keeper hoofs it over their head. :mad:
You will have a little something to complain about if Van Gaal becomes the manager.

Bojan11

Makelele role.

Too many limited footballers stealing a living just passing back or sidewards.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Also press conferences. Full of clichéd answers and for the most part, lacking real opinion. A waste of everyone's time. Maybe the Moyesian era had scarred me?
Yes. This. And post-match interviews. Do we ever learn anything from pressers other than who is a possibility to play and who is a doubt? Everything else is just read from a script. "One game at a time", "long way to go yet". Same with post match interviews and the usual "Difficult place to come", "the three points is all that matters". It's not helped by footballers being personality-less drones. Just get rid.

LR7

Yes. This. And post-match interviews. Do we ever learn anything from pressers other than who is a possibility to play and who is a doubt? Everything else is just read from a script. "One game at a time", "long way to go yet". Same with post match interviews and the usual "Difficult place to come", "the three points is all that matters". It's not helped by footballers being personality-less drones. Just get rid.
I agree with the rest of your post but as for the bolded bit, are they though? They can't all be. The character and personality does seem to have been drilled out of them though so that all we get is banal, unoriginal, clichéd droning.

Gopher Brown

I don't understand this whole 'pretending you're more hurt than you are' thing. You should never show weakness to your opponents, why have footballers forgotten this? They wouldn't burst into tears if the opposition centre-half calls them a cnut, they'd call him one back.

Rolling around like a pansy on the floor gives power to the opponent. Imagine if they did that in rugby, you'd be the target for every hairy-arsed front row for the rest of the game.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I agree with the rest of your post but as for the bolded bit, are they though? They can't all be. The character and personality does seem to have been drilled out of them though so that all we get is banal, unoriginal, clichéd droning.
I'm sure they probably do have some personality. Or some footballers at least. Maybe they're instructed to be as robotic as possible when speaking into a camera. Even after a gutting defeat, or a massive win, alot of players barely show any emotion.

It's quite strange when hearing and reading interviews with foreign players. Especially some Spanish and German players. Xavi, Lahm, Xabi Alonso. They all seem so much more full of character when they speak about football compared to English players. They certainly come across as much more intelligent for the most part.

LR7

I'm sure they probably do have some personality. Or some footballers at least. Maybe they're instructed to be as robotic as possible when speaking into a camera. Even after a gutting defeat, or a massive win, alot of players barely show any emotion.

It's quite strange when hearing and reading interviews with foreign players. Especially some Spanish and German players. Xavi, Lahm, Xabi Alonso. They all seem so much more full of character when they speak about football compared to English players. They certainly come across as much more intelligent for the most part.
Agreed?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Silly rule.
The option is there to not take his clothes off.

I've seen people find out they are going to be a father for the first time, win £1,000,000, score champions league, world cup and premier league winning goals and on none of these occassions did the person in question strip.

I blame Ryan Giggs.

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
Things I hate about football/modern game?

(this is probably part one knowing my moody ars*)

+ THE EXCUSES that are given for falling over easy +Feigning injury
+ Diving cheaters.
+ No celebrating goals with fans (e.g. Jumping in hugging the crowd.)
+ Banter sensitive fans
+ Precious attitude by hypocritocal Red Top Newspapers Mail/Mirror mainly. (i know it not directly football but the big london based journo's today are really ****** annoying and are so full of their clueless selves.)
+ Not sure how to spell it but ... SNOODS.
+ People(refs/pundits) who don't know the offside rule properly. E.g. "His left toe was juuusst onside." :rolleyes:
+ Jason Cundy, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Merson, Graeme Souness and Tony Cascarino punditry. (please let me put them in)

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The majority of English players, overpaid classless tasteless moronic barely literate pampered spoiled egomaniacs who behave like they are the second coming of Christ because they can kick a ball.
The fact that identical pointless drones known as wags are famous purely because of who is slipping them a length despite having no actual talent for anything
The word project in relation to football clubs
Wayne Rooney
Twatter
Ticket prices
Wayne Rooney
Saf not being I'm charge any more
Being welsh in a World Cup year
The champions league still being called that despite less than half of the teams in it actually being champions
Wayne Rooney
Players wearing headphones when on the bench/in the stands
Barcelona
Mark Hughes becoming more of a cock every year and still being my hero
Referees who aren't collina
Steven twat faced cock Gerard
Wayne Rooney

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I never got the outrage over the imaginary yellow cards players show. If we accept it's fine for a team to yell "foul" or "handball" or "penalty" why do we think "Booking!" is any more likely to influence the referee than the others?

You hear "you don't like to see that, a player trying to get another player booked", but the whole stadium, team and bench yelling "HANDBALL!!" in the area when it clearly comes off the oppositions chest, is fine?
I think it's because in one case you're asking for a decision to benefit you, whereas in other you're wanting direct punishment to another player. In the end there's not much difference I know, but what little difference there is is important.