Things you really hate about the football/modern game

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Watching the Real Madrid game last night and noticed Pepe rolling around on the floor clutching his ankle like he'd broken it. Loads of players do it including United players and it makes me want to jump up and headbut the telly. I hate it. I think its worse than actual diving- these are grown men pretending to be hurt. The physio's then rush out, give a bit of poor little didums rub, bit of spray and hey presto, then standing up and taking a couple of gingerly steps before sprinting down the pitch. I hate this more than any other thing in football.
What do you hate about football/ footballers?

gormless

TV cutting to high profile managers during games, especially when the game is actually being played. When Mourinho first returned to Chelsea, some of their matches were basically just 90 minute Jose reaction shots

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Managers getting sacked too early. 'tis a disgrace.

Blasphemy

Parking the bus as the go to tactic away from home in important games (or at home as well sometimes).

I know it's effective but it's boring and crap and I hate it.

RedStarUnited

I agree, It is a really annoying thing and it has become accepted in large.

Its picky but I hate when a player has time to keep the ball in and restart possession, they choose to instead let it go out for say a throw in. by the time of the throw in, the other team has already re organised and what could have been a simple pass has turned into a 50/50 ball. Its extra annoying when this is done in the defensive half of your team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The word "hipster" being used in any way shape or form.

LR7

, then standing up and taking a couple of gingerly steps before sprinting down the pitch.
This is the bit that irritates me.
Also press conferences. Full of clichéd answers and for the most part, lacking real opinion. A waste of everyone's time. Maybe the Moyesian era had scarred me?

NoLogo

This is the bit that irritates me.
Also press conferences. Full of clichéd answers and for the most part, lacking real opinion. A waste of everyone's time. Maybe the Moyesian era had scarred me?
This is due to our awful football "journalism" though. Everyone who tells things like he sees them straight from the heart will usually cause a massive controversy and get roasted by the media circus.

Plugsy

This is due to our awful football "journalism" though. Everyone who tells things like he sees them straight from the heart will usually cause a massive controversy and get roasted by the media circus.
That's what fans want. Would you rather read about Rafa Benitez having a mental break down at a presser or a detailed report of the 0-0 draw between Woking and Gillingham?

We can blame the press all we like but as message boards like this prove, fans are far more feverish and blood-thirsty when it comes to controversy and scandal than newspapers will ever be.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The complete lack of patience and trust shown towards young players.

People who can only think of player development in terms of Football Manager/FIFA

LR7

I just don't see the point in having a press conference when the person being questioned can't give their true opinions because it'll be likely to cause outrage. There is a script of acceptable answers and when someone deviates from it, it's a scandal. Makes the whole thing dull. Footballers post-match interviews are full of shitty cliches too so much so that they all appear to lack any real intelligence/personality.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The reactionary nature of many pundits.

Eg at half time during Chelseas game in Paris. On RTE the pundits were saying this is easy for Chelsea because PSG play in a non competitive league and Chelsea are used to playing better teams more often. Then when the game is over they start saying how Chelsea are tired and PSG have an advantage because they play in such an non-competitive league.

bishblaize

Everyone will say diving and play acting, so some lesser irritations that bug me.

• Yellow card for taking your shirt off.
  • Having to go off after being injured.
  • The way you can foul someone after they shoot in the penalty box and its never given.
  • Away goals rule.
  • Shirt pulling
  • Not being able to pass to yourself at free kicks and corners.
  • Lip readers on TV stations

Plugsy

The complete lack of patience and trust shown towards young players.

People who can only think of player development in terms of Football Manager/FIFA
I agree but my annoyance would also be when a 'young' player will be in his mid 20s and it's like that scene from the Simpsons where the roast pig is flying through the air and Homer says "it's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good" when people refer to them still having the potential to 'come good' and they then reference a player who was absolute cack until he was 38 or something as an example he could follow.

There seems to be reluctance to cut the apron strings and admit when potential hasn't been fulfilled so you get scenarios where players hit their mid 20s and sometimes beyond and are still referred to as 'young' or of having 'potential'

NoLogo

That's what fans want. Would you rather read about Rafa Benitez having a mental break down at a presser or a detailed report of the 0-0 draw between Woking and Gillingham?

We can blame the press all we like but as message boards like this prove, fans are far more feverish and blood-thirsty when it comes to controversy and scandal than newspapers will ever be.
Of course the consumer is always to blame as well. The thing is that now it has gotten to a point where scandals are made out of nothing and no player dares to say anything anymore out of fear of the shit storm it might cause. Latest example was Rio's comments on twitter.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The cost of actually going.

Everything used to be so much cheaper when I used to go with my old man. Now I've started to go without him everything seems so excessively priced.

On the pitch - I hate players who feign injury. I can sort of understand why they'd 'cheat' by diving or exaggerating contact if it earns a penalty, but feigning injury is pathetic. If people thought someone like Fabrice Muamba was feigning an injury because other players do it, who knows how bad that could've been?

iPads in the stands. Seriously, feck off. That really pisses me off. Surely you have a digital camera or mobile phone, or can afford one!?

Post-match interviews. I think it's unnecessary to do an interview and a press-conference. Players and managers are often caught out saying stupid things right after the final whistle. Just do the post-match presser.

Transfer deadline day. Sky sports have monopolised the last day football teams can recruit new players in a certain time period. I'm not going to lie, I do find it quite consuming on the day but I really hate it.

Plugsy

The rule where you have to have two feet on the floor when taking a throw-in

Why? You've been 'awarded' a throw-in, if you want to get it further by leaping up for extra leverage, what's the problem?

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
central midfielders who turn their back on the ball. i hate seeing players in that defensive midfield role, win the ball in a tackle, knock it back to the keeper, then turn around to walk slowly up the pitch while the keeper hoofs it over their head. :mad:

Tarrou

The rule where you have to have two feet on the floor when taking a throw-in

Why? You've been 'awarded' a throw-in, if you want to get it further by leaping up for extra leverage, what's the problem?
I guess it's to stop teams launching it into the box from the half way line every time

Plugsy

I never got the outrage over the imaginary yellow cards players show. If we accept it's fine for a team to yell "foul" or "handball" or "penalty" why do we think "Booking!" is any more likely to influence the referee than the others?

You hear "you don't like to see that, a player trying to get another player booked", but the whole stadium, team and bench yelling "HANDBALL!!" in the area when it clearly comes off the oppositions chest, is fine?

dirtygringo

defenders shielding the ball from an attacker while it rolls slowly out of play over the by-line. i feel like im watching two grown men trying to hump each other.

Moonred

- New age plastic footballs, incredibly difficult to get chip shots from outside the box. Yes i know it still happened a few times this season (sanchez,sturridge). Plus the fact that these balls swerve around so much.
- The art of defending , lack of world class defenders.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not just in football, but everything if life, people pretending everything is better in the good old days.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Use of the word "smokescreen" in relation to transfers.

RedStarUnited

central midfielders who turn their back on the ball. i hate seeing players in that defensive midfield role, win the ball in a tackle, knock it back to the keeper, then turn around to walk slowly up the pitch while the keeper hoofs it over their head. :mad:
Mr Cleverly.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Watching the Real Madrid game last night and noticed Pepe rolling around on the floor clutching his ankle like he'd broken it. Loads of players do it including United players and it makes me want to jump up and headbut the telly. I hate it. I think its worse than actual diving- these are grown men pretending to be hurt. The physio's then rush out, give a bit of poor little didums rub, bit of spray and hey presto, then standing up and taking a couple of gingerly steps before sprinting down the pitch. I hate this more than any other thing in football.
What do you hate about football/ footballers?
As perfectly illustrated by Suarez on Sunday:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/l...ury-to-the-liverpool-striker-at-norwich-vine/

Except for getting the treatment or even taking a few gingerly steps...

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Aside from diving, feigning injury, appealing for every single decision (even throw ins when its clear the ball came off them - they will still raise a hand appealing for the decision)...one of my biggest annoyances is the offside system.

I agree there needs to be something in place to stop players standing by the goalkeeper the entire game, but I hate it when a player is ruled offside when it is their clever movement that has put them offside - in other words the defender has been unable to either track the run or keep up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The fecking close ups and replays of players' faces just to create a false sense of drama. Just show the bloody game and replay some of the skills displayed there, not players adjusting their hairs, spitting, crying when missing a chance :houllier:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
defenders shielding the ball from an attacker while it rolls slowly out of play over the by-line. i feel like im watching two grown men trying to hump each other.
Agree - its strange that there is an actual rule about obstruction, but somehow this does not apply to defenders when attackers are trying to get the ball.

On that note, I also think there needs to be better officiating at corners to stop the holding that goes on every single time.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Perfect. This is an area of the game that is actually putting me off watching it. Its embarrassing.
Exactly - more should be done post game to punish things like this - its the only way to eradicate it.

Getsme

Diving, I hate it, it's the biggest disease in the game.

dirtygringo

players chewing gum while playing or those who hide their hands up their sleeves. both scream to me of an overly-relaxed or disinterested demeanor.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Players falling over if you blow on them
When people say someone had the right to go down for the penalty, he should always try and stay on his feet.
Our tactics against Fulham this year - endless crosses
Players not closing opposition down
Keepers getting freekicks if the other player jumps for a header with him.
Agents.
Teams like Newcastle constantly buying French players
Away goals rule
FA Cup Semi Finals being played at Wembley :nono:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Everyone will say diving and play acting, so some lesser irritations that bug me.

• Yellow card for taking your shirt off.
  • Having to go off after being injured.
  • The way you can foul someone after they shoot in the penalty box and its never given.
  • Away goals rule.
  • Shirt pulling
  • Not being able to pass to yourself at free kicks and corners.
  • Lip readers on TV stations
Really?

Keenst

Players being complete pussys.
Complete inconsistency from referees/too many yellow and red cards.
Lack of flair players.
"Effecient football" i.e. Mourinho's Style.