Things you really hate about the football/modern game

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
My Dad has supported United and has gone to OT since he was a kid in the early 60s and he says You'll Never Walk Alone was originally sung by United fans for the Busby Babes, before someone (can't remember who) re-released it and it became associated with Liverpool.

Just did a quick google search and this seems to corroborate that fact: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/youll-never-walk-alone-is-our-song-1121768
Wow! Thanks mate. Learn something new every day.

Plugsy

Fans who want to have their cake an eat it. Those who complain about the price of the game, the tickets, the wages - (all fair points by themselves) but who then undo it all by grumbling on local radio or internet forums about not matching some other team's £40m bid for this player or not paying the club captain his £200,000 a week age demands, or something.

"Football's out of hand, it's a working man's game but now I can't afford to go, and p.s if we don't match the £40m bit the chairman should resign."

Moby

Dick
I hate the fact that attacking players are constantly criticized for their lack of defensive support. It's great if an attacking player has the work rate and can support his defense but over the years players like Cristiano, Robben etc have gotten the stick for not "tracking back" despite coming up with match winning moments on a constant basis which is ridiculous. Bergkamp was lucky he was born a decade or two before this farce started or he would have been shunted out of most top teams as he "doesn't add much to the midfield battle".

The lack of freedom allowed to attacking players to express themselves by so many managers these days has made the game boring and robotic for me that relies more on physicality, athleticism than the ability on the ball. Players being picked because they run more. Mata being shunted out of a team in which he had twice been the player of the season was one example of this idiocy.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I hate the fact that attacking players are constantly criticized for their lack of defensive support. It's great if an attacking player has the work rate and can support his defense but over the years players like Cristiano, Robben etc have gotten the stick for not "tracking back" despite coming up with match winning moments on a constant basis which is ridiculous. Bergkamp was lucky he was born a decade or two before this farce started or he would have been shunted out of most top teams as he "doesn't add much to the midfield battle".

The lack of freedom allowed to attacking players to express themselves by so many managers these days has made the game boring and robotic for me that relies more on physicality, athleticism than the ability on the ball. Players being picked because they run more. Mata being shunted out of a team in which he had twice been the player of the season was one example of this idiocy.
Likewise while I don't quite hate it, every time Rooney pops up at left back the commentators think its the best thing ever while I'm often thinking "stay up front where you belong!"

Plugsy

The fact I quite like the DA DA DA DA DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA DA, LUIS SUAREZ!! chant

Stookie

Nurse bell end
My Dad has supported United and has gone to OT since he was a kid in the early 60s and he says You'll Never Walk Alone was originally sung by United fans for the Busby Babes, before someone (can't remember who) re-released it and it became associated with Liverpool.

Just did a quick google search and this seems to corroborate that fact: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/youll-never-walk-alone-is-our-song-1121768
Yeah, it was originally from the musical Carousel and like you say, was sung at OT after Munich. Then I think it was that scouse band Jerry and the Pacemakers that remade it. When I went to see Utd, Sunderland fans were singing it too- is this a song that they sing too? or are they just being twats?

Steev

Remember Djalminha for Deportivo when they won the league around 2000?

They haven't won the league for like 50 years or something, he comes off the bench with 10 minutes to go, hammers in the winner to win the league and takes his shirt off as the stadium explodes around him.

'Cept its his second yellow, so he gets sent off.

Then the opposition equalize.

Silly rule.
It does seem like a daft thing to be booked for, in the grand scheme of things. However, why the feck do players take their shirt off after scoring a goal? Why?

I can understand Giggs doing it in '99 against Arsenal. That goal was so cool he instantly contracted hypothermia - which led to paradoxical undressing. Fair enough.

But anyone else who does it is a prick - especially if they've already been booked.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

It's absurd indeed.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Soccer Saturday, not the show but I don't like how the likes of Le Tissier, Merson etc just keep shouting and shouting over and over until they get some camera action. Soon as they're not on for a minute they start shouting again

Annahnomoss

Very interesting point. I am not yet sure if it is a step forward to have an entire team defending as a unit or if it is because the combative central midfielders of absolute top quality are gone and replaced with more technically adept ones. Will be very interesting to see what the next step is in the future.

Erebus

The belief that some fans are better than others - hate the phrase 'plastic fans'.

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
The belief that some fans are better than others - hate the phrase 'plastic fans'.
Understand what u mean but

Little Story - 3 mates 1 plastic

When I was 8-9 yrs old I had 3 mates. 2 of us were Utd fans and the other was a Chelsea fan. Both teams reached the 94 FA Cup final. So as expected...banter was fired about who was gonna score against who, and who was gonna hammer who.

Utd subsequently hammered Chelsea 4-0 and that next monday morning at school my mate and me stood there in the playground waiting smuggly with our Umbro Man Utd coats on...ready to give him all the stick in the world.

Next thing. He turns up smiling. He opens his gob "How brilliant were we!! We ripped em apart!! Chelsea couldn't handle us."
We just looked at him with a WTF expression as he walked off doing an 'Ooh ahh Cantona' thing that was going round.

From that point on he proclaimed he was always a Man Utd fan and that we'd been making it up that he was a Chelsea fan and that he had always loved Utd...and only Utd.

So these fans do exist and not just as kids. I've seen adults switch allegiances between clubs too citing trophy failure as an honestly viable excuse for changing teams.

It winds me up. :mad:

Erebus

Understand what u mean but

Little Story - 3 mates 1 plastic

When I was 8-9 yrs old I had 3 mates. 2 of us were Utd fans and the other was a Chelsea fan. Both teams reached the 94 FA Cup final. So as expected...banter was fired about who was gonna score against who, and who was gonna hammer who.

Utd subsequently hammered Chelsea 4-0 and that next monday morning at school my mate and me stood there in the playground waiting smuggly with our Umbro Man Utd coats on...ready to give him all the stick in the world.

Next thing. He turns up smiling. He opens his gob "How brilliant were we!! We ripped em apart!! Chelsea couldn't handle us."
We just looked at him with a WTF expression as he walked off doing an 'Ooh ahh Cantona' thing that was going round.

From that point on he proclaimed he was always a Man Utd fan and that we'd been making it up that he was a Chelsea fan and that he had always loved Utd...and only Utd.

So these fans do exist and not just as kids. I've seen adults switch allegiances between clubs too citing trophy failure as an honestly viable excuse for changing teams.

It winds me up. :mad:
Yes I know it happens. Lad I went to school with - we were all reds in our group. United were relegated and I meet him prior to the start of the new season. Asked him if I'd meet him at the match bus and told he was going to Maine Road as he wanted to watch First Division Footy. :eek: Couldn't believe it. I moved away then but bumped into him when visiting my mum one day. He was back going to Old Trafford.

So yes, I know it happens - but (with the odd exception) it still winds me up.

Raul Madrid

So many things. When a player plays for your team he is world class and when he leaves he is overrated is one thing that fans do that annoys me. Also how fans are hypocrites and insults other clubs and fans about things their own club and fans do like spend lots of money, diving, having controversial managers and players, having dirty players, getting referee decisions, having spoilt fans, overrating or underrating their players, saying other clubs play in a weak league when their own league is overrated, calling other fans precious when they cant accept criticism of their own players, criticising other teams for not using youth systems when their own is not great etc, even when your club does them, maybe to a lesser scale.

Last edited:

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
Asked him if I'd meet him at the match bus and told he was going to Maine Road as he wanted to watch First Division Footy. :eek: Couldn't believe it. I moved away then but bumped into him when visiting my mum one day. He was back going to Old Trafford.
I admire your tolerance. The treacherous little git!! People like that remind me of a line from 'Porridge'

- "There's a word for people like you (short pause)
b*sterd normally." -
:)

BorisontheRock

The whole wrestling on every corner and free kick winds me up. Every ref knows it happens, they know the main culprits but because its a corner or free kick its allowed, in open play, a defender gets within a foot of a striker and he goes down its a pen! Sort it out ref its a joke!!

BorisontheRock

Oh, and overly defensive fans that feel the need to challenge every comment as a criticism yet have negative express their negative views of everyone else. Give it up guys, its not a matter of life or death, its only football.

Plugsy

9 years on and people still think we're owned by a bunch of Glaziers

Erebus

Just thought of another. All these charts of 'what if the league table was only made up of'... so you get things like English players who'd scored, clubs who spent least, games played on Fridays etc., etc..

Stookie

Nurse bell end
players 'shepherding' a ball out of play and clearly obstructing the oppo player. Clear obstruction, if that was done in the centre of the pitch, it would be a freekick!

Plugsy

Those two guys who stand near the goal because Platini is too much of a git to have goal-line technology. I hope there's a high profile incident soon that shows him up, hopefully not involving us.

RK

The notion that defensive football is "anti-football". Even if the defensive team wins (Pulis, Mourinho, anyone that "parks the bus" (another phrase I hate))