Things you really hate about the football/modern game

Bader

Another dose of things I hate about the game today.In the first half of Bayern vs Real Madrid match, I have already seen more than enough diving, players swarming the referee, more diving, threatrics etc.

I am glad I watch the PL.

NK86

Di Maria clutching his face and falling over like a sack of shit when Mandzukic gave him a slight push in the back. I never understand why players do that. He is such a talented player, he does not need to act like a buffoon.

Also I hate Ribery with a passion. There is play acting and then there is his thuggery. Always trying to get involved in incidents. Waving his hand all the time for cards to be shown. His slap on Carvajal today should fetch him a nice Euro ban.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I hate players missing finals through suspension but when you are as stupid as Xabi Alonso you deserve everything you get.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Every bollocks using the word "ceiling" to describe a young player's "potential", which in itself was another wank word hipsters bandied about far too often.

Raul Madrid

The fact that there is gifs of everytime a player makes a mistake and they are shown over and over again. If Madrid lost the final I am sure that there would have been lots of gifs of casillas mistake which would have been unfair on him as he played his part in Madrid getting to the final. He isn't one to seek the limelight either unlike gerrard who was asking for gifs to be made of him with the huddle and the speech about not slipping.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Poor quality of freekicks.
Teams parking the bus, and defensive solidarity over entertainment and goalscoring.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People who care more about transfers than match days.

Edit: people who care more about being able to "banter" their mates than matchdays

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Upside is another one of those terms used by people with too much time on their hands. Every young basketball player is described in terms of how much upside they have. It's excruciating.
That's a new for me, mate, I must say.

It sounds horrific, though. I'll more than likely stab someone in their temple if they utter those words to me when talking about football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you stopped the clock when the ball wasn't in play, then you would need to play 30 minute halves, rather than 45 minutes.
The refusal to have video technology and therefore giving referees an incredibly hard job because players can get away with cheating and too many games are decided by poor decisions. Especially the idea that video reffing would slow the game down too much when we see 4 minute long celebrations after every goal, substitutions that take 3 minutes, every free takes 3 to 4 minutes etc. Ironically football is one of the slowest games in the World because players are allowed to contend with the referee and take their time over every little thing.

Also the clock should be stopped when the ball isn't in play and the whistle blown at 45 mins and 90 mins respectively.
If you stopped the clock when the ball wasn't in play, then you would need to play 30 minute halves, rather than 45 minutes.
Surely you would end up getting 60min halves rather than 30, as the ball is often out of play....and the amount of stoppages would be outrageous.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
People who watch teams/players 2 or 3 times a year and think they're experts on them.

kidbob

Surely you would end up getting 60min halves rather than 30, as the ball is often out of play....and the amount of stoppages would be outrageous.
I'm not talking about stopping the clock for every little thing. Stop it for frees when a wall is being set up, stop it when a substitution is being made, when a player is down injured, when a team celebrates scoring a goal etc. Then have a little leeway (say a minute) of stoppage time to account for time wasting if the ref feels it takes place. Seriously there are games where the ball is in play for a very small amount of time and then celebrations and substitutions take up a load of time too. When Real scored on Saturday night the ref never bothered adding on the extra 2 minutes that should have come from them celebrating.

manutddjw

When people praise Daniel Levy as if he's some remarkable figure in football for getting big fees for players.

It's not like he scouted and recommended Berbatov, Bale and Modric. Is it really a skill to pick a huge figure and refuse to budge on that number, regardless of where the end result leaves your team and manager? If we're going to praise Levy, we might as well do the same for Randy Lerner, who got ridiculous money for Downing, Young and Milner.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People who have to pour over every facet of every game, watch all the analysis, read all the reports, and then have to speak about it all of Monday.

Erebus

Professional footballers, managers and pundits who don't know the laws of the game.

Jaxa

Has to be for me the concerning decline of British players in the Premier League and not enough new world class british players, Bale obviously being a great example of what could be and then before hand Rooney but cant think of much more in the last decade.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
People who watch hundreds of games from obscure leagues every season and can't tell a good player from their arsehole.
Yeah this too. Haven't seen many of them though, most just pretend to know about the obscure leagues (through fifa, football manager etc.)

Lane

i have to say this Ashley Williams/Chopra twitter thing is high on my list right now...

Glanville95

Social media and more specifically; Twitter. United as a club, may not have covered themselves in glory in the transfer window since Twitters inception, but the amount of 'ITK' bullshitters and off the mark journos make it simply an inhospitable place. It'll not stop me getting drawn in during the transfer season, but I really hate it with a passion nonetheless.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The fact that there is gifs of everytime a player makes a mistake and they are shown over and over again. If Madrid lost the final I am sure that there would have been lots of gifs of casillas mistake which would have been unfair on him as he played his part in Madrid getting to the final. He isn't one to seek the limelight either unlike gerrard who was asking for gifs to be made of him with the huddle and the speech about not slipping.
Or Terry, that full kit wanker!

Lane

Professional footballers, managers and pundits who don't know the laws of the game.
These laws are extremely confusing and poorly written/implemented it has to be said. Nobody, including the referees themselves(!), is sure what handball is nowadays. And how about all this pulling, pushing in the box during set-pieces? If yo go by the letter of the laws - that's a pen, yet it's rarely given. But then sometimes it is given! No wonder people get confused here and there.

I liked it very much when some pundit described some 50-50 penalty situation as "it's a definite maybe".:lol: Honestly, that was just ingenious! It's exactly what it is.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I was doing that in the 1960's. Its what started me following Utd.
Which players, if I may ask?

Different times back then though.

My one buddy's pretty infatuated with CR7. He can't believe anyone could think Messi's a better player (not to start this debate again). Like it's the "most ridiculous" idea in the world. :lol:

goldenstatesplash

Shit on a stick journalism.

300 shit articles covering every possible angle of a story in the hope that one hits the mark so they can toast themselves a raise later on when it happens. The amount of blatant lies that are reported daily and the amount of people that believe them.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
People who care more about transfers than match days.

Edit: people who care more about being able to "banter" their mates than matchdays
Amen, and (slightly off topic) have you noticed the meaning of banter seems to have changed? It seems to mean being ignorant
Shit on a stick journalism.

300 shit articles covering every possible angle of a story in the hope that one hits the mark so they can toast themselves a raise later on when it happens. The amount of blatant lies that are reported daily and the amount of people that believe them.
this. Nearly every newspaper should be fined heavily under the trades description act as they contain very little actual news