Things you really hate about the football/modern game

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Every single one of those protocols will include "loss of consciousness" as a key criteria in deciding whether or not someone is concussed. If any player, in any sport, is knocked unconscious he should not be allowed to continue. You're right that there's shades of grey in assessing the severity/extent of a concussion but being KO'd is one aspect where the guidance is black and white. Look at the recent Froch fight, for example. The ref stopped counting as soon as it was obvious that Groves was unconscious even though he probably could have beaten a 10 count.

Here's a link to some guidance produced by the IRB. Any medic following this guidance wuld not have allowed Pereirra to continue playing.

http://www.irbplayerwelfare.com/?documentid=112

Football should produce something similar, or someone is going to get badly hurt.

http://group.bmj.com/group/media/la...follow-international-guidelines-on-concussion
I have no problem with the lost of consciouness you are debating alone here, if you lose conscious you have to go to the hospital.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have no problem will the lost of consciouness you are debating alone here, if you lose conscious you have to go to the hospital. B
Ok, cool. I know I'm labouring the point but it's quite important everyone reading the thread doesn't get misinformed. A lot of us will play amateur football and need to know it's not ok to play on after being KO'd.

Well, that and me being an argumentative cnut! :)

JPRouve

Scout
Ok, cool. I know I'm labouring the point but it's quite important everyone reading the thread doesn't get misinformed. A lot of us will play amateur football and need to know it's not ok to play on after being KO'd.

Well, that and me being an argumentative cnut! :)
Don't worry you are right, we need to be careful.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Money was the biggest factor. Chelsea finished 6th that season, we were champions. We offered probably somewhere around 100k and Chelsea 200k plus their manager situation.
Yes money was a factor, but you said 'players who go to clubs for money' as if that's the one and only benefit to the move.

Chelsea have/had more to offer than just money. They're a big draw in their own right, and who's to say that with both clubs offering the same money he'd have chosen us anyway?

It's possible that Chelsea made him feel more wanted, or that he liked the new plans Chelsea had going forward (to buy Mata, Oscar and other young attacking players.)

Maybe he felt he'd be given more opportunity or the specific role he wanted at Chelsea. Maybe the chance to work with Sir Alex just actually wasn't that big a deal to him.
Or maybe it was the other young Belgium internationals Chelsea were signing/had signed at around the same time?

Players don't think like fans. The fact that Chelsea aren't historically as 'big' as United means a lot less to a player who may have just 10 years of career at a top club.

Last edited:

James Redburn

Staggered
Worse thing about modern football? The false 9. The classic No 9 is the lead Singer of a rock band. I grew up watching Van Basten, Bastituta, Shearer, Romario, Ronaldo, Ruud et al, and they were footballing gods. Playing without a no 9 is like listening to the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger.
Well said.

The term itself is just pretentious twaddle to avoid saying "packing the midfield".

cj_sparky

The fact that news is centred around things like that ^
By all accounts he cut the zig zag in his hair in support of a young spanish lad whom had surgery on his brain, surgery that Ronaldo paid for.

Hasn't been confirmed though

JPRouve

Scout
The worst thing for me is probably the new breed of scouts, created by internet and mostly youtube.

NMF

Money was the biggest factor. Chelsea finished 6th that season, we were champions. We offered probably somewhere around 100k and Chelsea 200k plus their manager situation.
We didn't win any trophy that season while Chelsea won the Champions League.

But we can't forget the 6M agent fee Sir Alex and Gill refused while Chelsea payed it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well said.

The term itself is just pretentious twaddle to avoid saying "packing the midfield".
The term has certainly been butchered in the last couple of seasons as a catch-all for any central striker who isn't just a big man playing back to goal or a wee man poaching in the box.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hairdressers being sent to international teams camps at tournaments to cut their hair, it's only four bloody weeks for gods sake surely your vanity is not that important get a grip.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
By all accounts he cut the zig zag in his hair in support of a young spanish lad whom had surgery on his brain, surgery that Ronaldo paid for.

Hasn't been confirmed though
I heard that this morning too a while after posting it, but my point was not about his specific hair cut but the general necessity for players to have flash hair cuts and designs in their hair...Nani is a huge culprit.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I heard that this morning too a while after posting it, but my point was not about his specific hair cut but the general necessity for players to have flash hair cuts and designs in their hair...Nani is a huge culprit.
'Necessity' is a weird word to use. Most footballers don't have hairstyles any flashier than the same short back and sides that every other man has these days (like Luke Shaw). Some do, but they'd probably still do it even if they weren't footballers. So how it really relates to football, I don't know.

If any trend in football can be described as anything like a 'necessity' it's tattoos.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
'Necessity' is a weird word to use. Most footballers don't have hairstyles any flashier than the same short back and sides that every other man has these days (like Luke Shaw). Some do, but they'd probably still do it even if they weren't footballers. So how it really relates to football, I don't know.

If any trend in football can be described as anything like a 'necessity' it's tattoos.
Yeah but tattoos are awesome

Amir

I hate the hero worship. Maybe it's not the same everywhere but it's like I always hear not that Portugal scored a vital last gasp goal or that Valela scored a vital last gasp goal, but that Ronaldo set it up.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Anyone who changes club should have the word traitor branded in their forehead
I first met a lad I know in the early nineties and he was an avid Liverpool fan, by 1995 swung around he was a massive Blackburn Rovers supporter, these days he is seen wearing an Arsenal shirt.

I mean that's just wrong, I even remember when Blackburn beat us 2-0 at Ewood Park, I was at home listening to the game on the radio and when they scored the second, this bellend appeared at my front door to take the mike mouse out of me. To think that just a few years before he was wearing Liverpool shirts and these days it's arsenal makes me sick.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Things i hate about the modern game. Fans who are bothered by haircuts of players. Get a grip.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I first met a lad I know in the early nineties and he was an avid Liverpool fan, by 1995 swung around he was a massive Blackburn Rovers supporter, these days he is seen wearing an Arsenal shirt.

I mean that's just wrong, I even remember when Blackburn beat us 2-0 at Ewood Park, I was at home listening to the game on the radio and when they scored the second, this bellend appeared at my front door to take the mike mouse out of me. To think that just a few years before he was wearing Liverpool shirts and these days it's arsenal makes me sick.
Feel free to beat him. No court in the land would blame you

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Dickhead stutter run-ups when taking a penalty. A professional footballer should have no problem taking a free shot at goal from 12 yards without having to act the cnut.

Definitely not bitter about this very dislikable Brazil side :wenger:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Lack of respect, players diving, swearing at referees, waving imaginary cards around.

Another thing that annoys me is when a promising youngster has a good match, all of the sudden, he'll be as good as Messi. Or the other way around where a youngster is decent enough to play for the club, but he'll never make it because he isn't even as good as Messi was when he was at that age. Obviously Messi is a one off talent that comes around once in a while, not every young talent has to be compared to him.

Somewhat related to football -- I hate FIFA youtubers because the perpetuate annoying behavior. The FIFA youtube community is filled with a bunch of 8 - 12 year olds who think constantly screaming and shouting equals comedy. Of course there are some decent youtubers like SpencerFC, but the rest are intolerable.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I agree that people rating players of FIFA and Youtube. Too many people act to know it all about players in the Turkish league etc.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I hate the hero worship. Maybe it's not the same everywhere but it's like I always hear not that Portugal scored a vital last gasp goal or that Valela scored a vital last gasp goal, but that Ronaldo set it up.
I remember hearing that sort of thing in the 60's and 70's

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Dead ball situations and how they are called (or not, in most cases) - in particular, shirt grabbing, holding etc. Almost every freekick or corner in modern football involves a high degree of thuggery in the box & it seems referees randomly decide to award a foul/penalty

Much like booking players for dives, referees have to call these better - truth is, defenders or attackers should be penalized if their arms leave their sides or are in an unnatural position

Pipe dream but it is what it is

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The papers and Twatters linking United with every decent player going and saying 'told you so' if one of them happens to sign.
Self important winkers who think they are in the know.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Huge bump but club twitter accounts thinking they're comedians. You will have the odd account that does post something genuinely amusing but for the most part it seems pretty unprofessional and I don't understand why it's became an okay thing. /grumpy old man.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fans caring more about singing shiny new players than keeping their hard working staff in the job.

I’d be livid if we were to lay off even one person only to go out spend a tonne of money on agent fees for some over-the-hill player.

Siorac

Huge bump but club twitter accounts thinking they're comedians. You will have the odd account that does post something genuinely amusing but for the most part it seems pretty unprofessional and I don't understand why it's became an okay thing. /grumpy old man.
Better than the soulless and bland PR that most official communication channels perpetuate.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
With all the camera's and technology these days... We just act so much harder on unsportsmanship like diving, acting pain, asking for bookings, shouting against the ref, wasting time deliberately... Thats the thing I really really genuinely hate and of which I fully understand non-football fans hating about this sport...

For feck sake..
If someone dives, suspense them for 3 games.. (also in hindsight after the game has finished if needed).
If someone touches the ref, suspense them for 3 games.. (also in hindsight after the game has finished if needed).
Work with a fixed amount of time per half/game and stop the clock when the ball is out of play (2x30/35 minutes).. This will stop wasting time by acting pain or taking things extremely slow.
If someone acts by rolling around for 5 minutes when falling to the ground acting like you have a broken leg and standing up immediately when you outside the pithc, suspense in for 3 games.. (also in hindsight after the game has finished if needed).

God, this grinds my gears so much... Even thinking/talking about it

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The BLM crap at the start of the games. I hope the PL recognise how naive they were by getting into bed with an abolitionist far left movement.