Thomas Frank | Brentford Manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Strange post. Leicester obviously want a better style of football and Frank is a very good coach.
Brentford are very direct. Constant boot ups to Toney to flick on and long throws. It works very well for them admittedly with how few games they've lost this season.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Frank must surely be hot property this Summer for bigger clubs working on tight budgets? There are a few already looking for new managers.

miked99

He's done a fantastic job at Brentford. Deserves enourmous credit.

Question is, what do you do now in his position? He can stay at Brentford for years to come until gravity inevitably takes hold and they stop overperforming. Eddie Howe at Bournemouth would be a good example of staying too long with an overperforming club.

Or he can make a leap to a 'bigger' club like Leicester or West Ham for example, where the role clearly comes with problems and risk his reputation being tarnished. Like Graham Potter for example.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's done a fantastic job at Brentford. Deserves enourmous credit.

Question is, what do you do now in his position? He can stay at Brentford for years to come until gravity inevitably takes hold and they stop overperforming. Eddie Howe at Bournemouth would be a good example of staying too long with an overperforming club.

Or he can make a leap to a 'bigger' club like Leicester or West Ham for example, where the role clearly comes with problems and risk his reputation being tarnished. Like Graham Potter for example.
Danish national team will probably be looking at him post Euros I think.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Surprised Leicester want him, his style is complete opposite of what they do.
Can you imagine Tielemans having to sprint up and down the pitch in a Frank system, he'd need to be subbed out after 10 minutes.

city-puma

Frank must surely be hot property this Summer for bigger clubs working on tight budgets? There are a few already looking for new managers.
I didn’t watch many games of Brentford, probably only a few. I just feel he is the big Sam mark II. He makes his team tough to play against. That’s it. So, only mid table clubs will be interested in him, I think. Then, there is no reason for him to leave, because he is taking Brentford to European. Everything is healthy and positive for him to continue his work there.

SambaBoy

Yeah I'd feel he may struggle at a club more dominant in possession. Most of their goals seem to come from quick turnovers and Toney's hold up ability is massive for them along with Mbuemo's pace. It would hard to replicate that at another club, he'd be best of trying to build something there for a few years.

Last edited:

georgipep

I didn’t watch many games of Brentford, probably only a few. I just feel he is the big Sam mark II. He makes his team tough to play against. That’s it. So, only mid table clubs will be interested in him, I think. Then, there is no reason for him to leave, because he is taking Brentford to European. Everything is healthy and positive for him to continue his work there.
You should really watch more of them becausethat is a shocking statement, to be honest.

Frank changed how Brentford play after they joined the PL. He is quite adaptive and finds solutions to the challenges his team faces.
Watch a compilation of Brentford in the Championship and then a video of them in the PL.

I don't know if he will ever get a top club job but Spurs would be idiots not to look at him right now.

Hughie77

He was the most hated guy in the Championship, of course he's wanting for a bigger job, he thinks he's better than he realy is.. last night 5 at the back then sometimes it was 6 or 7.. long punts with a flick on got there 1 chance. Long throws fecking Wrexham do that in the National league, some club will take a punt on him and he be sacked after few months.. top clubs don't want draws and the odd Giant killing that's him all over.. hope he goes to Chelsea. I tell you what or West Ham Moyes won't be there long after last night.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Should be dragged into the streets and beaten with his own shoes until he learns to chew with his mouth closed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he's been great for them. I can see them losing a few key players this summer though and it will be interesting if he stays (and if so, how he copes) or if he will make the move before he's sacked.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Take Toney out of that setup and you’ll see how less effective it is

they are a solid hard to beat team. Nothing more nothing less

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He looked like proper weirdo on the touchline last night chewing his gum.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Strange post. Leicester obviously want a better style of football and Frank is a very good coach.
100% Correct. The football under Rodgers has deteriorated over the past two years. I'm sure lots of teams would like to have Frank but I would think it would need to be a big club to tempt him away.

Blood Mage

He's doing a great job but once a bigger club snaps up Toney I do think Brentford will be battling relegation rather than finishing in mid-table. That's not to say that Frank won't be successful at another club once his Brentford adventure ends, he could well do a Howe.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Can you imagine Tielemans having to sprint up and down the pitch in a Frank system, he'd need to be subbed out after 10 minutes.
Frank needs a certain type of player to make his system work & Tielemans does not fit that profile !!

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Some of you do make me laugh at least @georgipep adds a some well informed and educated context to the thread.

The whole without Toney we are stuffed line is a bit like the whole without Eriksen we are doomed line - just ask the scousers how well we can cope without Toney ;)

BorisManUtd

Finished the season 9th with 15 wins and only 9 defeats (as much as United) and also quite good GD (58-46). Beat us 4-0, beat City twice (only ones to beat them at Etihad this season).. Think Frank was overlooked when it comes to manager of the season shortlist.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Finished the season 9th with 15 wins and only 9 defeats (as much as United) and also quite good GD (58-46). Beat us 4-0, beat City twice (only ones to beat them at Etihad this season).. Think Frank was overlooked when it comes to manager of the season shortlist.
Zero petrol dollars too…..

Jev

It's absurd that he wasn't shortlisted. I think many expected them to go down this season. Last season they were headed in that direction after a promising start and then they got Eriksen and he gave them the boost they needed. With him gone and no real summer signings to speak of, success wasn't at all guaranteed this season, yet they got more points than we did last year when we finished sixth. That squad has no business being in the top-10.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Seems like the type. 60 per cent of Danes are secret scousers anyway.
Just stop - tell ETH to give him a call to let you know how to win on Saturday though :) need to stop them winning that oil slick treble somehow

BorisManUtd

It's absurd that he wasn't shortlisted. I think many expected them to go down this season. Last season they were headed in that direction after a promising start and then they got Eriksen and he gave them the boost they needed. With him gone and no real summer signings to speak of, success wasn't at all guaranteed this season, yet they got more points than we did last year when we finished sixth. That squad has no business being in the top-10.
Agree.Should be on that list instead of Marco Silva.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Brentford, like Brighton, is a very well-run club on the cutting edge of data and analytics. Frank has done a wonderful job but I wonder how much of their success is due to his work as manager versus due to the organization they've built behind the scenes.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Let’s see how you all get on next season with perhaps your keeper gone and your main striker out. Not sure it will be as effective.

happy to be proven wrong
Happy to prove you wrong fella, replacement for Raya already signed, our results without Ivan not too shabby. We will always be team that aims to get to 40 points first but we are run far better than every club in the Premier League alongside brighton imho.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford