Thomas Muller

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Here's the thing: Müller isn't poor or even just average in terms of technique. It's the Müller-Myth.
This is the Müller's curse, isn't it? I mean Gerd is also often labelled as technically average, which was very far from the truth.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
:lol:

I like how he persists with it.
He expected everyone to laugh the first time. :lol:

He always had so much comedic value. Top player and top professional. Think he’d have been a fans favourite had he moved here.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is the Müller's curse, isn't it? I mean Gerd is also often labelled as technically average, which was very far from the truth.
Was about to say that. As different as they are as player types, they also have a lot of things in common. @Piratesoup's post fits in more ways than just technique.

For example, many people will be surprised to see mid-70s Gerd constantly giving defensive directions to his teammates from a midfield position, simply being quicker to grasp what happens on the pitch than anyone else (bar Beckenbauer, probably).

Last edited:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
If you watch his first goal closely, when he made contact the ball was under him and actually a bit *behind* his center of gravity. Other players would have ended up with two broken legs trying to do that :D

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Was about to say that. As different as they are as player types, they also have a lot of things in common. @Piratesoup's post fits in more ways than just technique.

For example, many people would be surprised to see mid-70s Gerd constantly giving defensive directions to his teammates from a midfield position, simply being quicker to grasp what happens on the pitch than anyone else (bar Beckenbauer, probably).
There are some youtube videos collecting all scenes from a given player in one specific match. Watching one of those closely, one will notice how often Müller the short stubby one dropped back and was pivotal in the buildup of attacks (which he often finished himself), his sublime passing and his quick decision making.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There are some youtube videos collecting all scenes from a given player in one specific match. Watching one of those closely, one will notice how often Müller the short stubby one dropped back and was pivotal in the buildup of attacks (which he often finished himself), his sublime passing and his quick decision making.
Oh, yeah. A lot of them originate from this forum, @Joga Bonito has made tons of G. Müller's videos :drool:

thepolice123

The thing that stands out for him really is the speed of his decision making and how he applies himself correctly on the pitch. KDB is very similar in this aspect. They avoid holding the ball in tight situations for too long and its generally very quick 1-2 pass and move.

The first goal is a good example of this. Most technical players will probably look to kill the ball and risk getting dispossessed. He completely dummied Alba with the pass to "bounce" off Lewandowski.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Definitely*. For a full picture of his defensive work it's even necessary to watch full games, as much of the interesting stuff happens off the ball.

Although it has to be said that Müller's role could vary a lot from game to game, so in some games it happens much less.

[* Edit: Only thing is I wouldn't call his passing sublime - it was simple, not always clean, but usually effective. He was a more of a direct link-up player, not a playmaker.]

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Oh, yeah. A lot of them originate from this forum, @Joga Bonito has made tons of G. Müller's videos :drool:
For those interested. A playlist with 12 of Müller's compilations.

It has to be one of the most annoying myths in football that Müller was a poacher who just played off the shoulder of the last man and wasn't proficient technically.

Definitely. For a full picture of his defensive work it's even necessary to watch full games, as much of the interesting stuff happens off the ball.

(Although it has to be said that Müller's role could vary a lot from game to game, so in some games it happens much less.)
It's always best to watch the full games but I do try and include all defensive actions and off the ball work. Still, not everything can be captured in a compilation.

Müller playing in that 1972 side was something else imo, was more or less playing the false 9 role imo. Brilliant player.

Last edited:

DarkLord

What an incredible turnaround and comeback from one of Germany's greatest striker. To think that many thought he was finished two years ago. Shows what a top manager can do to your ability. He is one of my favourite footballers as he embodies hard work, resilience, teamwork and humbleness. Just beat Barcelona 8-2 and yet in his interview, he remains so grounded. I hope Loew recalls him to the national team for next year Euro tournament.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
What an incredible turnaround and comeback from one of Germany's greatest striker. To think that many thought he was finished two years ago. Shows what a top manager can do to your ability. He is one of my favourite footballers as he embodies hard work, resilience, teamwork and humbleness. Just beat Barcelona 8-2 and yet in his interview, he remains so grounded. I hope Loew recalls him to the national team for next year Euro tournament.
I hope Müller spits in Löw's face and laughs at him if he ever comes crawling. I low key hope germany embarass themselves again at the Euros, whenever they may happen, just so Löw gets his long overdue sack.

DarkLord

I hope Müller spits in Löw's face and laughs at him if he ever comes crawling. I low key hope germany embarass themselves again at the Euros, whenever they may happen, just so Löw gets his long overdue sack.
Isn't Muller one of Low's untouchables? The 2018 World Cup disaster was partly due to him going for the old guard and not freshening up with squad with younger players. He was dropped because of his poor form and rightfully, as everyone thought he was finished at the top level then. If he wasn't sacked after that embarrassing World Cup in Russia, I can't see him getting sacked now.

Pagh Wraith

If you watch his first goal closely, when he made contact the ball was under him and actually a bit *behind* his center of gravity. Other players would have ended up with two broken legs trying to do that :D
I don't know if that is thing in the rest of Germany but my friends and I always refer to these goals as "reingestorcht" because they look so awkward technically. It seems like 50% of Müller's goals fall into that category. That and his old-school celebrations, you cannot really dislike him.

Nick7

Here's the thing: Müller isn't poor or even just average in terms of technique. It's the Müller-Myth.
Obviously, his stamina, work rate, positioning and press orchestration are outstanding, but he is also exceptional when it comes to first touch ball manipulation (be it passing, shooting or controlling it in a way that gives him an advantage), pass execution when under pressure and vision. He doesn't dribble past players in 1-on-1s. That's his one limitation.
It might luke flukey and awkward at times, but that doesn't make it less impressive technically. How often does he have to cunningly flick a ball on to create a chance, or bypass the entire defense with a half court cross from full sprint before people accept that he is a great and creative passer? How many more times does the ball have to bounce of Müller's head, knee, shin or thigh just to land right in place for a tap in or killer pass before we talk about him having great first touch control?
Agreed. I think whenever I watch him, what I'm most impressed about is the fact he makes nearly everything he does look deceptively simple. He's always struck me as one of those players playing the game a few seconds/plays ahead of the opposition.