Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Moiraine

It has come to that already? :lol:

on a serious note, I always thought Chelsea are well short of winning the premier league, they are even behind a proper performing Man United. The media just loves to over-praise any Chelsea side and lick their ****. They will do well to finish Top 4 to be honest!

Remember the geese

Just thought you had a very solid team out there today. Injuries and Covid are hitting teams hard but Chelsea probably have the best squad. You are going through a tough patch but I won't believe that both Liverpool and City will win all the games over this period you will be there or there about this season that is if TT does have a meltdown.
They won't be there or thereabouts. They simple aren't in Liverpool's or City's class. They will get top 4 though and probably finish third. They are as close to us, Arsenal and Spurs as they are to City and Liverpool.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They need behind closed doors to return so they can start playing teams at their training ground again or in random neutral venues.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know what the owner/board's expectations are but if we finish comfortably third (looking less likely by the day), he should be safe, unless he falls out with the board/owner. I knew we weren't good enough to win the league and said so in the predictions thread, but was pleasantly surprised when we were top and looked like challenging. Injuries and our long-standing problems with goal-scoring have wrecked our season

Lentwood

People are very quick to get carried away. I was never convinced by Chelsea. Sure, they won a couple of cup competitions and I am glad they did, however, did their league form improve significantly under Tuchel last year? Not really.

League form is always the best barometer of a sides actual ability.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It has come to that already? :lol:

on a serious note, I always thought Chelsea are well short of winning the premier league, they are even behind a proper performing Man United. The media just loves to over-praise any Chelsea side and lick their ****. They will do well to finish Top 4 to be honest!
bit far tbh

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
A few weeks ago I understood that we weren't going to be in the fight for first place.
I see everyone looking for easy excuses but the problem is more complex.
And Tuchel decided to be part of the problem.

Recover the injured, remove from the team those who don't want to be here and those who already have their heads in another club, think of another game idea that fits with the players we have.
Secure a place in the top 4 and work on the next season as it should be.

Because if that's not the case, another millionaire check is coming to fire a coach.
And I'm already beginning to fear that this might be what Tuchel wants...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea attack is poor and absolutely destroyed by Covid and injuries. But surely Tuchel has to try something other than 5 at the back to break teams down? Can’t be helping things.
We actually played 4-2-4 for most of the game. James was an out and out right winger with Alonso barely getting forward - it really didn't work very well at all. Probably in large part due to lack of presence in the box - Pulisic isn't exactly a force in there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We actually played 4-2-4 for most of the game. James was an out and out right winger with Alonso barely getting forward - it really didn't work very well at all. Probably in large part due to lack of presence in the box - Pulisic isn't exactly a force in there.
The gap behind James was wide open throughout the first half. Azpi and Silva did a good job of adjusting to that threat but James was essentially just trying to be an extra attacker. Yeah it didn't work but a better team than Wolves would have punished us in the first half.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The gap behind James was wide open throughout the first half. Azpi and Silva did a good job of adjusting to that threat but James was essentially just trying to be an extra attacker. Yeah it didn't work but a better team than Wolves would have punished us in the first half.
Yeah it certainly didn't work properly - but I just don't think it's reasonable to suggest Tuchel stuck with 5 at the back when we plainly didn't.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
People are very quick to get carried away. I was never convinced by Chelsea. Sure, they won a couple of cup competitions and I am glad they did, however, did their league form improve significantly under Tuchel last year? Not really.

Eh? Tuchel took us over in 9th and post his arrival we were the 2nd best team in the league, both on results and metrics.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Some of the posts on the last pages will definitely not age well :lol:

Yes, the others are the ones getting carried away, not you.

Lentwood

Eh? Tuchel took us over in 9th and post his arrival we were the 2nd best team in the league, both on results and metrics.
I should have been a bit clearer but when I am on my mobile I tend to just chuck stuff out.

What I meant was that I hadn't seen anywhere near the required improvement in league form or points accumulation to challenge City, or Liverpool (based on their regular form, not last year's patchy version).

I made no secret of the fact I thought Lampard was a very poor manager and Chelsea hugely underperformed. Tuchel definitely came in and improved things, but as usual, everybody got massively carried away and started talking about them winning the title. For me, they never got close to convincing me they could even get close to City, there is still a huge amount of work to be done.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I should have been a bit clearer but when I am on my mobile I tend to just chuck stuff out.

What I meant was that I hadn't seen anywhere near the required improvement in league form or points accumulation to challenge City, or Liverpool (based on their regular form, not last year's patchy version).

I made no secret of the fact I thought Lampard was a very poor manager and Chelsea hugely underperformed. Tuchel definitely came in and improved things, but as usual, everybody got massively carried away and started talking about them winning the title. For me, they never got close to convincing me they could even get close to City, there is still a huge amount of work to be done.
Even though it's a different ball game over 38 games the way we won the UCL was always going to give us some credit even if it was in some places overzealous. Holding your nerve for trophies has often been the start of a domino effect when it's the league cup let alone the Champions League.

That said I do feel with a largely fully fit first Xl (in other words the team that played Juve bar Mount and Kai in for Ziyech and Pulisic) we could challenge even now but unfortuently that's looking like an outragoues long shot.

Lentwood

Even though it's a different ball game over 38 games the way we won the UCL was always going to give us some credit even if it was in some places overzealous. Holding your nerve for trophies has often been the start of a domino effect when it's the league cup let alone the Champions League.

That said I do feel with a largely fully fit first Xl (in other words the team that played Juve bar Mount and Kai in for Ziyech and Pulisic) we could challenge even now but unfortuently that's looking like an outragoues long shot.
Chelsea did unbelievably well win the CL and you certainly won't get anything but gratitude for that happening on this forum - for obvious reasons!

However, winning a Champions League can be luck. If you start at the R16 (which I believe Tuchel did), it's actually possible to win 0 games in normal-time/ET and still lift the trophy. It's also obviously heavily influenced by the draw. Had Chelsea got City, Bayern or PSG over two legs, I think that would have been the end of it.

I think sometimes people fail a little to understand what you're up against with City. They have 23 hand-selected players, two or even three options in each position, all of them round pegs in round hole and perfectly suited to playing the system the manager wants them to play. They have barely any rate of change in the squad from one year to the next, and replacements for outgoing players are usually arranged two seasons in advance to ensure the whole thing is seamless. Their squad are nearly all about the right age profile, operating in their prime years. I just don't see Chelsea at anywhere near this level personally. You need to get 90+ pts to put pressure on City, and Chelsea just don't look like the kind of team that can operate at about 2.5PPG

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Chelsea are still learning to walk under Tuchel, he hasn't even been with them a full season yet. And people are expecting them to go toe to toe with Liverpool and City. Crazy. No matter how much money you spend. At their strongest they can challenge the best in a one of game. But consistency takes time to build.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
People talk about our depth, and it is good. Lets face it, City’s bench would make top 4 and might compete with the starters for the title. We have to be perfect every game to push for a title run. I know this is the wrong forum to say it, but it makes you appreciate Klopp’s league title more.

El Jefe

It's fun to laugh at rivals but if we're being objective the covid absences and injuries have finally caught up to them. Saying that Chelsea don't belong up there with City and Liverpool is ignoring the struggles their squad has faced.

Liverpool played without their first choice midfield and VVD yesterday and looked as open as they have since the 7-2 loss to Villa. City is the only side that can deal with the level of absences Chelsea have and even then if they had Dias, Laporte and Stones out for example, they would struggle.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
People talk about our depth, and it is good. Lets face it, City’s bench would make top 4 and might compete with the starters for the title. We have to be perfect every game to push for a title run. I know this is the wrong forum to say it, but it makes you appreciate Klopp’s league title more.
Debatable on the first point. Absolutely not on the second, unless Pep is a magician

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
What happened to Lukaku? Thought he’s back from injury?
Well considering he has the movement of a statue he is probably still being lifted from the treatment table.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Maybe psg fans want this guy back :nervous: :nervous: because they can't tell an exceptional manager from a good manager. Not sure why it is collapsing like this for him though. I feel the champion league win earned him so time, but the standards are high at Chelsea. If this continues, I can see him getting sacked

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe psg fans want this guy back :nervous: :nervous: because they can't tell an exceptional manager from a good manager. Not sure why it is collapsing like this for him though. I feel the champion league win earned him so time, but the standards are high at Chelsea. If this continues, I can see him getting sacked
The UCL win coupled with the first few months I think fooled a lot of people (myself included), what we're seeing now is much more like the Chelsea he had last season, the Chelsea who needed a Spurs win on the final day to finish top 4 and lost the FA Cup final to Leicester. At the rate they're going Spurs with Conte might push them close for that 3rd spot

Matt851

Jesus christ this is silly. They are just behind Liverpool, City are an outstanding team so no shame being behind them

Ramos

They looked ok before the goal but then they just were all over the place. Too many players having a terrible game: Jorginho, Kovacic, Alonso, Hudson-Odoi etc.

Honestly the injuries aren't helping him either. Losing another two players before half time hurts.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Jesus christ this is silly. They are just behind Liverpool, City are an outstanding team so no shame being behind them
I don't recall any United fans taking solace in that over the past number of years

tomaldinho1

You can tell he’s livid in the interview. As soon as the PL started picking and choosing which clubs could postpone it set the wrong precedent.

SER19

You can tell he’s livid in the interview. As soon as the PL started picking and choosing which clubs could postpone it set the wrong precedent.
The last couple of seasons have been a bit of a joke

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think they are going to end up very catchable but the chasing pack. The football is drab and the players don’t seem to really fit the system.

If frustration starts to creep in and goals dry up, Spurs can definitely catch them.

Zoo

They’ve been scraping by for a while and spluttered over the line into the top 4 last season with some help. I’m surprised that Tuchel hasn’t changed the system as it’s not easy to win the league playing cautiously every game.