Thomas Tuchel sacked at Christmas

treble_winner

Thirdly, Mourinho must be kicking himself because I still think PSG is the job he really wanted next after Utd sacked him. When he spoke about projects and what not, he was wanting a club with huge backing, not Spurs who will back him yes, but not anywhere near the level he wants. PSG was who he had in mind, I have no doubt.
I don't think so. Mourinho clearly loves living and working in London. He may revert back to a "living in hotel" lifestyle at Paris.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
That's what I thought but I'm intrigued by the new marketing angle of Juventus and wondered if they could go in a surprising direction. As for Deschamps, he is perfect for Juventus and italian football in general but he should reject you, replacing him with Ranieri was inexcusable.
Ok, let’s play this checklist.
Point n.3: is the candidate a hot head?
No buono, auf wiedersehen und danke :lol:

NinjaFletch

Is that laughable? Anything other than winning the league at a canter with PSG is abject failure.

Pochettino may well be the better manager than Solskjaer, but hardly anyone is going to look at titles at PSG as particular proof of that.

Pep's Suit

Christmas represents nothing to their owners, why would they care ?
That Christmas thing... It genuinely sounds like this forum's full of 14 years olds. It's Christmas so what? Should they wait another 10 days???

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that laughable? Anything other than winning the league at a canter with PSG is abject failure.

Pochettino may well be the better manager than Solskjaer, but hardly anyone is going to look at titles at PSG as particular proof of that.
PSG currently don't have a team that should win the league at a canter. People are still judging them on what they were 5 years ago, they are favorites and that's about it.

NinjaFletch

PSG currently don't have a team that should win the league at a canter. People are still judging them on what they were 5 years ago, they are favorites and that's about it.
People said that about Bayern under Kovac too, and look what happened when they sacked him.

There's a lot of egos in that PSG side, and personally I have my doubts that Pochettino can manage them or impress his system upon them, but they still far and away have the best collection of players in Ligue Un.

JPRouve

Scout
People said that about Bayern under Kovac too, and look what happened when they sacked him.

There's a lot of egos in that PSG side, and personally I have my doubts that Pochettino can manage them or impress his system upon them, but they still far and away have the best collection of players in Ligue Un.
PSG doesn't have the same depth and their starting eleven is inferior too, mainly due to a subpar midfield, they need to have their starting eleven fit and in form in order to win the league at a canter.And yes they are favorite but people overestimate the distance with other teams based on what PSG was a few years ago between 2013 and 2016 PSG's margin was massive their bench second options were better than anything else and they were also better collectively.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bayern had a far better team though. The team Kovac had was fantastic. And lets not forget, it was under Kovac they started the CL journey and it was under Kovac they humiliated Spurs, and he did win the double with that team too. It is their best squad since the Heynckes teams of 2013-15. PSG squad isn't close to that that level imo, their team seems to be a mish mash of 2 elite forwards, some very good players, but a lot of gaps, not enough depth, and a lot of mediocrity thrown in.

Web of Bissaka

:lol: Gonna be funny if PSG back to losing the CL quarters or only as far as semi.
Let them lose the R16 please then let's see if PSG regretted their decision then. Could've wait until they're out of CL.

Can't deny he's the only one that took them as far as final.

NinjaFletch

Bayern had a far better team though. The team Kovac had was fantastic. And lets not forget, it was under Kovac they started the CL journey and it was under Kovac they humiliated Spurs, and he did win the double with that team too. It is their best squad since the Heynckes teams of 2013-15. PSG squad isn't close to that that level imo, their team seems to be a mish mash of 2 elite forwards, some very good players, but a lot of gaps, not enough depth, and a lot of mediocrity thrown in.
I agree with you, but it's a point made with the hindsight of what Flick went on to do with that squad. Kovac struggled to get as much out of that squad as he should have done, and we knew it at the time, hence why he was sacked, but people had begun to conflate his failures as a manager with the level some of his players were capable of and, to some extent, internalised his bullshit about the squad needing serious work. Suddenly that squad in need of serious work looks like one of the most well rounded squads in world football with talented players in every position.

For how supposedly shit the squad is Tuchel took it to a CL final last season, and he's never seriously convinced that he'd got to grips with it. It might not be up there with the PSG sides of a few years ago, but it's still more than good enough to win the French league easily.

Okey

Gonna be seriously funny if Poch fails to win a thing with PSG this season. They're not exactly dominating the league this season. And the UCL is a toss up that no one can bank on. There's certainly better teams there than PSG.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree with you, but it's a point made with the hindsight of what Flick went on to do with that squad. Kovac struggled to get as much out of that squad as he should have done, and we knew it at the time, hence why he was sacked, but people had begun to conflate his failures as a manager with the level some of his players were capable of and, to some extent, internalised his bullshit about the squad needing serious work. Suddenly that squad in need of serious work looks like one of the most well rounded squads in world football with talented players in every position.

For how supposedly shit the squad is Tuchel took it to a CL final last season, and he's never seriously convinced that he'd got to grips with it. It might not be up there with the PSG sides of a few years ago, but it's still more than good enough to win the French league easily.

Oh yeah I know. For me the reasons with Tuchel are as much off the field as on. The man is a nightmare where ever he goes.
It’s just that the Kovac and Tuchel comparisons don’t work for me personally. All Bayern needed was the breaks taking off. Flick may be a great coach, but he isn’s some genius for what he did last season, he was probably handed one of the top 2 squads in Europe. Poch (or whoever) isn’t getting that at PSG.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Gonna be seriously funny if Poch fails to win a thing with PSG this season. They're not exactly dominating the league this season. And the UCL is a toss up that no one can bank on. There's certainly better teams there than PSG.
Tuchel's work with PSG very under-rated. He developed a good relationship with Neymar, Mbappe. Also brought through academy products.

Not sure Pochettino has what it takes to strike the same balance. Neither does he have experience working in a club where anything else than top spot is considered a failure.

Poch is less of a club legend than Kombouaré, QSI's first manager. His track record is worse than Ancelotti. Basically PSG tried every type of coach and failed to reach stability with any.

Leonardo as sporting director is the only stable figure, but I doubt he would be employed by any other top club. Tuchel on the other hand will win lots of trophies with Bayern, maybe United etc.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
When does santa come.... One the night of the 23rd or the night of the 24th?
Since I'm a nerd and care more about this stuff than Tuchel or PSG: in the past, in many places, the next day started after sunset. That's why a lot of celebrations start on 'the eve of' (and why 'eve' is a thing at all). Take New Year's Eve, for example. Same for Christmas, which in many places in one way or another starts on the 24th. For example, the first Christmas mass is often (usually? always?) in the evening of the 24th. (Even if the big one is on the 25th, of course.) Gift-giving changes from one place to another, but in addition to all the ones mentioned, it's also on Christmas eve in Quebec.

always_hoping

:lol: Gonna be funny if PSG back to losing the CL quarters or only as far as semi.
Let them lose the R16 please then let's see if PSG regretted their decision then. Could've wait until they're out of CL.

CL losing final appearances doesn't count for alot, Poch found that out the last season. Speaking of which this is ideal job for Poch to finally add trophies to his management CV.

PSG are currently 3rd in a league they should be about 15 points ahead of the rest. Poxed lucky to get out of their CL group this season. Lost in the R16 to United in 2019 with Tuchel.

JPRouve

Scout

I don't think that part is true, Kovac was berated and logically deemed to be the problem at Bayern. Even the players that were struggling for game time like Goreztka, Hernandez, Muler or even Perisic were better than their PSG equivalents which are Paredes, Draxler, Sarabia or Abdou Diallo. Keep in mind that PSG's current midfield has Gueye and Danilo as regular starters while Verratti is perpetually injured also their fullbacks are tragic.

JPRouve

Scout
Tuchel's work with PSG very under-rated. He developed a good relationship with Neymar, Mbappe. Also brought through academy products.

Not sure Pochettino has what it takes to strike the same balance. Neither does he have experience working in a club where anything else than top spot is considered a failure.

Poch is less of a club legend than Kombouaré, QSI's first manager. His track record is worse than Ancelotti. Basically PSG tried every type of coach and failed to reach stability with any.

Leonardo as sporting director is the only stable figure, but I doubt he would be employed by any other top club. Tuchel on the other hand will win lots of trophies with Bayern, maybe United etc.
He has a poor relationship with both Neymar and Mbappé. And he didn't any choice regarding academy products, PSG have been selling their bench since 2017.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
He has a poor relationship with both Neymar and Mbappé. And he didn't any choice regarding academy products, PSG have been selling their bench since 2017.
He convinced Neymar to stay in 2018 and 2019. As with Mbappe, he played him centrally in many important games which was his main request.

Disagree on academy products, he did not have to play Kouassi or Diaby or Dagba as much as they did. Definitely a step up from past coaches.

All in all PSG are a club with a very Latin feel, lots of South Americans on and off the pitch, Tuchel brought a German style which they will miss.

Never winning a CL with Pochettino. Probably never reaching another CL final too with Neymar and/or Mbappe on their way out.

TheReligion

Abusive
BBC

After leading PSG to their first Champions League final last season this seems a strange time to sack a manager. They may be 1 point off the lead in a league when they are expected to walk it but still harsh.

Record

Games - 127
Won - 95
Draws - 13
Loses - 19

Goals For - 337
Goals Against - 103

Win % - 74.80

Silverware

Ligue 1: 2018–19, 2019–20
Coupe de France: 2019–20
Coupe de la Ligue: 2019–20
Trophée des Champions: 2018, 2019
UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2019–20
What's this doing in the United forum!

el3mel

Pretty weird timing this one.

Anyway, never really rated him as much as many here. I remember a discussion about him here when he was with BVB when I thought he's overrated. Don't get me wrong he's a decent/good manager, just never as good as some are thinking.

I don't want him to manage us.

NinjaFletch

I don't think that part is true, Kovac was berated and logically deemed to be the problem at Bayern. Even the players that were struggling for game time like Goreztka, Hernandez, Muler or even Perisic were better than their PSG equivalents which are Paredes, Draxler, Sarabia or Abdou Diallo. Keep in mind that PSG's current midfield has Gueye and Danilo as regular starters while Verratti is perpetually injured also their fullbacks are tragic.
I think there was a general consensus that Müller and Boatang were 'finished' and that their summer business had been poor. In hindsight, none of that was true and Müller particularly gained a new lease of life. I'd agree their squad overall is better, and hell it has to be as they play in a better league, but it was only a few months ago PSG ran them close in a final.

I'm not sure Poch is the manager to do it, but as soon as a manager creates a more coherent system than Tuchel managed some of those average players begin to look considerably better.

The Red Thinker

While I agree that it is a stupid argument, winning the Norwegian league with Molde is 10x the achievement compared to winning the French league with PSG.
I know people like to shit on Ole’s time at Molde.
Perspective. Molde had not won the league in 100 years... 100 YEARS!

The level of the league is lower. Yes. But the playing field was level as well. Yes it isn’t as huge a challenge as the PL. but it was a big moment for that club in that league and country. He went down with Cardiff and that’s a tragedy but he did have a shite team and the club’s recruitment was a mess buying players that didn’t fit. Ole made a mistake with his time there. But one can learn and improve. You don’t survive manager of Manchester United having relegated Cardiff, if you didn’t have LEGIT skills.

Becoming manager at PSG, where your team is SO CLEARLY above and ahead in quality than any other team, is not exactly a huge challenge.
A big one with big expectations. But I can argue that winning in a level playing field is tougher.

el3mel

He got them to the final in the only year in which there was no 2 legs tie though.

Blackwidow

I think there was a general consensus that Müller and Boatang were 'finished' and that their summer business had been poor. In hindsight, none of that was true and Müller particularly gained a new lease of life. I'd agree their squad overall is better, and hell it has to be as they play in a better league, but it was only a few months ago PSG ran them close in a final.

I'm not sure Poch is the manager to do it, but as soon as a manager creates a more coherent system than Tuchel managed some of those average players begin to look considerably better.
The funny thing about it is that putting Müller behind Lewy was the winning recipe and turning point already in the season before when until November Bayern struggled in Kovac's first months, too. Put Müller back where he belongs - let him play behind Lewy and not to deep as an 8 or as winger and then the offensive play of Bayern functions. Müller in that first weeks delivered in the small time he was given, too - but Kovac had the new toy to play with and probably tried to "show power" over the dressing room. But you will not win, when you work "against" your players.

JPRouve

Scout
He convinced Neymar to stay in 2018 and 2019. As with Mbappe, he played him centrally in many important games which was his main request.

Disagree on academy products, he did not have to play Kouassi or Diaby or Dagba as much as they did. Definitely a step up from past coaches.

All in all PSG are a club with a very Latin feel, lots of South Americans on and off the pitch, Tuchel brought a German style which they will miss.

Never winning a CL with Pochettino.
He didn't convince Neymar to stay and Neymar wasn't about to leave. Mbappé's main problem wasn't about being played centrally but about being considered highly and pampered, they never had a good relationship and still don't. Tuchel didn't do better than Blanc with Rabiot, Kimpembe, Areola, Nkunku or Augustin.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
He didn't convince Neymar to stay and Neymar wasn't about to leave. Mbappé's main problem wasn't about being played centrally but about being considered highly and pampered, they never had a good relationship and still don't. Tuchel didn't do better than Blanc with Rabiot, Kimpembe, Areola, Nkunku or Augustin.
He did at least as well as Blanc with youth, except he took the team to a CL final. Nothing indicates he had a bad relationship with Mbappe and Neymar either. It was a good working relationship which led to trophies.

The first coach to take PSG to a Champions League final is fired that same year on Christmas day. Not a good look.

Leonardo is more interested in his own power than the club faring well. I look forward to him becoming sporting director of any other top club really. Not happening...

Tuchel wanted to keep Thiago Silva who was his defensive fulcrum. Instead Leonardo refused to extend his contract. Look at Thiago at Chelsea now and who has to play centre-back for PSG.

JPRouve

Scout

A finished Muller was better than an in form Draxler which is the point. And PSG ran them close in a final with their full squad which we all agree is very good but the point is that over the course of 10 months, this PSG can't afford to have serious deeps because they don't have the depth and for them it can happen quickly because they don't have the margin that Bayern has. The main qualities of the PSG's team that people are using as references were their depth and consistency, they were built for the league while this team is just unbalanced.

And your last point showcase why you kind of overestimated their team, you are basically making the point that they need to be supported by a system which is true. The irony is that Blanc would be a great manager for this PSG.

JPRouve

Scout
He did at least as well as Blanc with youth, except he took the team to a CL final. Nothing indicates he had a bad relationship with Mbappe and Neymar either. It was a good working relationship which led to trophies.

The first coach to take PSG to a Champions League final is fired that same year on Christmas day. Not a good look.

Leonardo is more interested in his own power than the club faring well. I look forward to him becoming sporting director of any other top club really. Not happening...
Only if you didn't follow PSG.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Only if you didn't follow PSG.

I follow PSG and actually know people in Mbappe's first circle.

Your tweet proves nothing. When Mané goes out against Palace the other day, it does not mean he has a bad relationship with Klopp. Those things happen all the time.

The only source of tension recently was when Tuchel wanted the team to stay on the pitch during the game against Istanbul. The players went back to changing rooms. Still turned up and won 5-1 the next day.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I know people like to shit on Ole’s time at Molde.
Perspective. Molde had not won the league in 100 years... 100 YEARS!

The level of the league is lower. Yes. But the playing field was level as well. Yes it isn’t as huge a challenge as the PL. but it was a big moment for that club in that league and country. He went down with Cardiff and that’s a tragedy but he did have a shite team and the club’s recruitment was a mess buying players that didn’t fit. Ole made a mistake with his time there. But one can learn and improve. You don’t survive manager of Manchester United having relegated Cardiff, if you didn’t have LEGIT skills.

Becoming manager at PSG, where your team is SO CLEARLY above and ahead in quality than any other team, is not exactly a huge challenge.
A big one with big expectations. But I can argue that winning in a level playing field is tougher.
Ole winning the league with Molde will always be a far bigger managerial achievement than a manager winning French League with PSG in this current era!

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Shite manager. Anyone who takes over that PSG team should win the CL every year.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Well Boateng is finished :D Even under flick, the defense had issues, Alaba, as great as he is, isn’t actually that great a central defender, Davies struggled defensively. But their amazing firepower and form masked that as was coming up against teams who couldn’t take advantage of that weakness, or didn’t dare try knowing what would happen.

Yes the final was cagier and they ran them close, but it sort of reminded me of how Liverpool blew some teams away in the CL - or scored a load of goals in CL games, but when it came to the final, where willing to forsake that just to make sure they won. But in the same way as Liverpool’s squad was better than Spurs in almost every department, Bayern’s is better than PSG’s.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What a load of rubbish, of course they do. No team in the league has a team anywhere near as good, or anywhere near as expensive. Tuchel is not a great manager.

Web of Bissaka

He got them to the final in the only year in which there was no 2 legs tie though.
True, still it wasn't that easy.

They do have the advantage of arguably no fatigue issue or at least they should not have it, compare to the other teams as Ligue 1 was stopped early while the other leagues carried on later months. But it also meant they lacked the "match rhythm" or "match fitness".

alexthelion

Hopefully they hire Mauricio Roberto Pochettino Trossero as his replacement. Means he won't be taking over United any time soon and people not being subjected to thousands of cringy ''Poch'' posts.
Wonder if Amadaeus will become a PSG fan if that happens?