Thomas Tuchel sacked at Christmas

alexthelion

The way people hold that "win a trophy" thing over his head is one of the weirdest things for me. As if the guy has ever been in a position/club that's expected to win trophies
Come on, he had the team to at least win one of the cups during his tenure. That he didn't even get close is telling.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What a load of rubbish, of course they do. No team in the league has a team anywhere near as good, or anywhere near as expensive. Tuchel is not a great manager.
Who said that Tuchel was a great manager? And no PSG do not have a team to win effortlessly, they are favorites but they need to have their starters and they also need to actually perform.

Amerifan

They have plenty of talent and should be top table. That half the squad are underperforming means something bad is going on behind the scenes. All the warning signs of an ugly sacking a year or two down the road are there. This would a bad choice for Poch unless he just needs a job at this point.

ChaddyP

Since I'm a nerd and care more about this stuff than Tuchel or PSG: in the past, in many places, the next day started after sunset. That's why a lot of celebrations start on 'the eve of' (and why 'eve' is a thing at all). Take New Year's Eve, for example. Same for Christmas, which in many places in one way or another starts on the 24th. For example, the first Christmas mass is often (usually? always?) in the evening of the 24th. (Even if the big one is on the 25th, of course.) Gift-giving changes from one place to another, but in addition to all the ones mentioned, it's also on Christmas eve in Quebec.
I've just only heard now about actually celebrating on the 24th. Where I live (during normal non covid times) the place is rammed with cars and people doing last minute things. Everywhere that sells things is basically open till
Midnight. I'm in retail and don't reach home till after 2 in the morning due to work.

Parties and fetes happen like they would new years eve. I've never been as I always had work. We open gifts and stockings on the 25th. On the 25th is when most people have Christmas dinners/lunches . Not on the 24th.

As to the church part. Don't really know. I'm atheists. I assume people been going church all week if they could.

Thanks for the insight though. Quite interesting

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It was bound to happen, Leonardo when he came back immediately started clashing with Tuchel. PSG is usually pretty good at keeping things in-house, but they'd have disagreements in the press. The fact that he got sacked on Christmas' Eve tells you just how nasty that got. This was Leonardo sending a message.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've just only heard now about actually celebrating on the 24th. Where I live (during normal non covid times) the place is rammed with cars and people doing last minute things. Everywhere that sells things is basically open till
Midnight. I'm in retail and don't reach home till after 2 in the morning due to work.

Parties and fetes happen like they would new years eve. I've never been as I always had work. We open gifts and stockings on the 25th. On the 25th is when most people have Christmas dinners/lunches . Not on the 24th.

As to the church part. Don't really know. I'm atheists. I assume people been going church all week if they could.

Thanks for the insight though. Quite interesting
Yeah, it's different everywhere. Growing up in the Netherlands, the 24th wasn't much special. The big Christmas dinner happened on the 25th (and also the 26th). The 24th would be a normal day, except in the evening we'd go to church (out of tradition rather than religiosity). We'd have a smaller dinner afterwards, although it'd be special stuff. Presents weren't done, since for most Dutch families, the big family presents event is St. Nicholas (Dec 6 - celebrated by many on the 5th :) ).

Here in Canada though, the 24th is like a half-holiday. It's a working day, but everything closes early and many people leave work around lunchtime if they can. I don't know so well how anglophones celebrate Christmas, but I think they usually do presents on the 25th. For francophones, that's rather on the 24th, Christmas eve, and that's also the big church day. (Not that I go, but for those that do.)

I was always back home for Christmas, so I don't know too much about traditions elsewhere; but I do know that I have never seen an airport as empty as Helsinki-Vantaa when I took a flight there on the morning of the 24th one day. So I guess it's similar in Finland as in Canada.

None of that matters though, as it seems that Tüchel got kicked out on the 23rd. :wenger:

RooneyLegend

Long overdue, just wasn't good enough. A coach like Allegri would have them in the CL convo every year from here on in.

el3mel

Arsenal seems to be the only logical destination for him. They'll sack Arteta either now or at the end of the season and bring him in. Just makes sense all around.

Dan de foe

Supports
Good football
Tuchel is and has always been the ultimate system coach. For him, changing tactics midgame is a sport.

When he became psg manager my thoughts were he will eigher enable a system there or die trying.

Funny enough neigher has happened. They never looked like a cohesive unid for a longer time under him but they were never that bad.

He is an amazing coach but absolutly the wrong fit for someting like psg.
Would be great for Arsenal. That Team still has some punch but Arteta is a horrible Manager.

Comparing Kovac and Tuchel is just wrong.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Who said that Tuchel was a great manager? And no PSG do not have a team to win effortlessly, they are favorites but they need to have their starters and they also need to actually perform.
I mean they would win the league at a canter still if they had a better manager than Tuchel.

Idxomer

PSG's squad isn't anything special, they have 3 world-class footballers who miss a lot of football every season.

The rest of the squad would struggle to finish top 4 in the PL.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mean they would win the league at a canter still if they had a better manager than Tuchel.
The reason PSG aren't top of the league isn't due to Tuchel who has a great record with PSG, it's that members of their starting eleven have been out due to injuries, illness or haven't been good. The point that I was making is that unlike the 2013-2016 version of PSG, this version doesn't have the depth nor the quality to win the league at a canter outside of perfect conditions and actually making an effort on the field.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
His sacking is of course no shock after the last months (and especially after his interview for Sport 1 yesterday) and he "doesn't win the hearts for his bosses" but Paris should have sacked Leonardo too.

Tuchel to Arsenal is only a matter of time in my opinion.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Tuchel has a different philosophy and personality than PSG because he is no dickhead, he simply resembled one because he joined PSG. Fake dickhead but no longer.

passing-wind

Still think he's a very good manager. If Arsenal manage to get him they will definitely improve unless he's not back to the extent that's necessary for them to progress.

Jetrooooo

Hope he goes to Arsenal so I have another German to hate with passion. Hoping for some good meltdowns.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Maybe it is related to the interview released yesterday where he asked for more appreciation of the teams achievements.

In my view a unnecessary and weird sack, timing also sucks.

On which side are PSG fans here , on Tuchel or Leonardo´s ? Since there has always been some disputes between them.
The only factual reason to sack Tuchel would be his inability to win Champions League. Which is obviously very dubious reason to sack anybody, but if they wanted to win CL, replacing Tuchel with arguably less qualified Poch is idiotic. If PSG wanted to win CL there's only one manager they needed to get - Mourino. I don't like Mou, but that is the big-money manager you get to get results mostly driven by pouring money over the problem (PSG tactics).

Still think he's a very good manager. If Arsenal manage to get him they will definitely improve unless he's not back to the extent that's necessary for them to progress.
I think it's a huge mistake for Tuchel to join Arsenal. That club is screwed seven different ways. Of course Tuchel is way better than Arteta, that part is easy. But Tuchel is not necessarily better than Unai Emery and Arsene Wenger. And Arsenal is still the same club those two got sack from. It's almost impossible for Tuchel to succeed at Arsenal, without significant changes to the club, but Tuchel will have no power to push for those.

Last edited:

Jetrooooo

If this guy didn't follow the exact same path as Klopp or if Klopp didn't have any success with Pool we would be so sick with these moronic screaming Germans. I dislike them already. For real this dude is the luckiest dude because of Klopp otherwise he would be happy to have a club in Thailand. Really hope he sings for Arsenal he will get find out so hard. Didn't think Arsenal would ever really get relegated but this dude is so fecking thrash he might be able to do the unthinkable.

NYAS

Can’t see him going to Arsenal, firstly because I think he sees himself as better than being involved in a relegation battle, secondly because I actually think Arsenal may find his wages too expensive.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Contrary to the popular opinion here i think Tuchel would be a perfect match not for Arsenal, but for Chelsea. Young and attacking oriented squad with a lot of german players too. The latest rumour before his sacking for example was that Tuchel wants Rudiger at PSG.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mourinho to PSG? It is year 2020 ending, not 2010.
Well there aren't many top managers around, not anymore. Clubs have to choose between the same old tired faces (Ancelotti, Mourinho etc) or the random punt they stuck out of their arseholes (Arteta, Ole, Lampard etc).

Gasolin

I follow PSG and actually know people in Mbappe's first circle.

Your tweet proves nothing. When Mané goes out against Palace the other day, it does not mean he has a bad relationship with Klopp. Those things happen all the time.

The only source of tension recently was when Tuchel wanted the team to stay on the pitch during the game against Istanbul. The players went back to changing rooms. Still turned up and won 5-1 the next day.
Wow if you know Mbappe first circle then I’m jealous :). But who is the first circle? Family?

Anyway, I have the feeling Poch won’t do something from a tactical perspective than Tuchel has not tried but let’s see.