Thomas Vermaelan

Younited.7

united.7
"I am a man with simple tastes - I am always
Vermaelen and Arshavin have been enjoying the most sexually active period of their entire lives. Every single fecking Arsenal supporter gets giddy when you mention either of these two - they are, de facto, the best two players on the planet if you speak to some of them. Despite - a point i was trying to make to two Arsenal supporters - them having won sweet feck all and when they just about to play the last three season's Premier League champions.

That idle pretension was absolutely ridiculous, i must say. It serves the feckers right, who makes prophecies after three rather-uninspiring games?

Christofaux

Vermaelen and Arshavin have been enjoying the most sexually active period of their entire lives. Every single fecking Arsenal supporter gets giddy when you mention either of these two - they are, de facto, the best two players on the planet if you speak to some of them. Despite - a point i was trying to make to two Arsenal supporters - them having won sweet feck all and when they just about to play the last three season's Premier League champions.

That idle pretension was absolutely ridiculous, i must say. It serves the feckers right, who makes prophecies after three rather-uninspiring games?
what do you mean uninspiring games? Seems that was just a couple of paragraphs of shit.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think Arsenal fans are intitled to be excited about Arshavin as he is a trully world class player, as for vermaelan(sp) you do wish they would give the guy more time for judgement rather than proclaiming him as the second coming after 5 or so games.

On the other hand when you consider that alot of united supporters, many on this board, were writting Vidic and evra off as a waste of money after little more than 5 games then I guess I prefer the Arsenal fans reaction.

Its completely natural for fans to overhype new players after a good start and its much preferable to see this rather than the pessimism about new signing that we all to often see around here.

Thats my opinion.

Cina

See now, if you'd left Arshavin out of that paragraph, it may not have been a load of bollocks.

Jens' Face

An Arse
Speaking just for myself, I'm very happy with the Vermaelen signing, and think he looks a very good player so far.

What's wrong with that? Anything to disagree with there?

Part of any gooner's excitement is going to come from the inevitable contrast with Toure. For the first time in quite a while, we have a solid looking central defense. Utd supporters won't share that perspective, because they haven't been living with Kolo's headlessness for the last two years.

Gallas has been better than Vermaelen this season, imo -- back to his chav form, looking really indomitable, looking better than he ever has at Arsenal. (He was the Arsenal motm for me yesterday.) It's hard to say exactly what Vermaelen has to do with that, but it's clear that he deserves some of the credit for Gallas' form.
(a) Gallas can count on his partner taking correct (predictable) positions. With Toure, Gallas had to look over his shoulder all the time, to check if he was going to have to cover for Toure.
(b) Vermin is good at attacking the ball. Kolo is a reactionary defender. Gallas can count on Vermin to do that job, while he plays more of a sweeper role.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Arsenal set to lose Thomas Vermaelen for extended period - ESPN Soccernet

Arsenal's injury woes in defence have continued, with Belgium international Thomas Vermaelen reportedly set to spend the next two months watching on from the sidelines after having surgery on his Achilles.

Vermaelen picked up an injury to his left Achilles in the Gunners' UEFA Champions League qualifier against Udinese, and did not play any part in the club's 8-2 capitulation at Old Trafford against Manchester United as a result.

The news no doubt comes as a blow to Arsene Wenger, who has recently lost Jack Wilshere for up to three months with an ankle problem, while fellow central defender Laurent Koscielny was taken from the field during Arsenal's home loss to Liverpool.

Greater responsibility, and pressure, will subsequently fall on Arsenal's new recruits in Vermaelen's absence, with the likes of Mikel Arteta, Yossi Benayoun, Andre Santos, Park Chu-Young and Per Mertesacker all making the move to the Emirates before the close of the summer transfer window.

Arsenal will host Swansea on Saturday as they aim to get their Premier League campaign back on track.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pogue did you proclaim them to be free of injuries just before the start of the season or something? This has voodoo written all over it...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh dear. I'm not sure this is good news for us to be honest. I want Arsenal to make the top 4 because Spurs are not going to give Liverpool enough competition.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
The medical team is a fecking mess. I've got a horrible feeling that they're getting the initial diagnosis completely wrong and then find out a week later that they're stuck up shit creek. Also, has it been any wonder that ever since Gary Lewin went full-time with England that we've been terrible at managing knocks and bruises on players? I don't think it has anything to do with the training reigime, but the way we manage injuries is just terrible.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why is it that football fans always look to blame the medical staff every time one of their squad turns out to be a sick-note?

They're not miracle workers. Football's a physical game and some players will always be more prone to injury than others. The problems that have afflicted Vermaelan and Hargreaves are a real fecker to treat too. Tendons have a poor blood supply and it's easy for tendon injuries to become chronic. Shit happens though. That's the nature of competitive sport. Some athletes are just unlucky.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Why is it that football fans always look to blame the medical staff every time one of their squad turns out to be a sick-note?

They're not miracle workers. Football's a physical game and some players will always be more prone to injury than others. The problems that have afflicted Vermaelan and Hargreaves are a real fecker to treat too. Tendons have a poor blood supply and it's easy for tendon injuries to become chronic. Shit happens though. That's the nature of competitive sport. Some athletes are just unlucky.
In our case, it's happened far too often for it to be a coincidence..Diaby, RVP, Rosicky, Fabregas etc. I personally think that we rush players back far too early while also managing injuries poorly. It's a combination of factors but it takes the cake when the staff get their diagnosis wrong (I know this has been happening at Arsenal for ages), or rush players back too early. You get paid to make sure a player is fully fit before returning to a game situation..if you can't be fully honest with the manager regarding the player's readiness to participate in training again, then you're quite obviously incompetent at this level of sport and should be on your bike.

alastair

ignorant

I think we're a bit frustrated because a lot of our sicknotes were never sicknotes at their old club, and it seems to be a bit more than just a coincidence when they start picking up endless injuries here. Also, there's the whole issue around the club saying a player will be out for a few days and then being out for 23 months(Rosicky).

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh well. I guess you gooners can feel comforted that Arsenals' management have learned their lessons from all these problems and will be keen to make absolutely sure that any new additions to the squad will be thoroughly assessed from the outset.

Especially when it comes to signing 31 old players who have a track record of being more injury prone than most and missed almost the whole of last season with a similar injury to Vermaelen.

Oh wait...

Commadus

It's a combination of factors.

Perhaps too agressive rehab protocol / high intensity training / diet / medical team etc..

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Yossi was always going to be a risk. God forbid nothing happens to him or Arteta, otherwise we're stuck up shit creek without a paddle.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
SAF deserves a lot of credit, I've only ever seen him rush a player back from injury once in 5 years, and that was Rooney against Bayern.

It's never worth it. Liverpool were always playing Torres before he was completely healed, it seems to have destroyed him.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wow, Arsenal suffering the same injury miseries we were last season. Its like Arsenal are going through the exact same trials and tribulations. I sympathise a little as I can empathise. But you can't help feeling the bed Wenger and the baord are preparing is almost ready to lie in.

misterredmist

Have to feel for Vermaelen , he's impressed me when he's played for the bummers and was a big miss for them last term - he played well versus the dippers, and now this.

I hope it's not long term and he can get back playing, poor Wenger must be wondering what he's done at the moment , whether it is the Arsenal med set-up or just bad luck, he's really down to the bare bones now.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
IMHO it is down to players being rushed back too soon due to the weakness of the squad outside the first choice 11.

BaldwinLegend

Yossi was always going to be a risk. God forbid nothing happens to him or Arteta, otherwise we're stuck up shit creek without a paddle.
I'm kind of speechless reading and Arsenal fan post that.

The fact you signed a 31 year old Benayoun is indicative enough of bad times, let alone the fact you rushed it through at the last minute without him having a medical - you even say he was 'always going to be a risk'!!! Why not make him go through a medical then?!

It's also just bizarre to be reading an Arsenal fan say that their season is dependant on Yossi Benayoun and Mikel Arteta staying fit - crazy times.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Have to feel for Vermaelen , he's impressed me when he's played for the bummers and was a big miss for them last term - he played well versus the dippers, and now this.

I hope it's not long term and he can get back playing, poor Wenger must be wondering what he's done at the moment , whether it is the Arsenal med set-up or just bad luck, he's really down to the bare bones now.
Would rather have Bartley back from his loan spell at Rangers than Djourou, who has regressed immeasurably ever since his injury back at OT last season.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
I'm kind of speechless reading and Arsenal fan post that.

The fact you signed a 31 year old Benayoun is indicative enough of bad times, let alone the fact you rushed it through at the last minute without him having a medical - you even say he was 'always going to be a risk'!!! Why not make him go through a medical then?!

It's also just bizarre to be reading an Arsenal fan say that their season is dependant on Yossi Benayoun and Mikel Arteta staying fit - crazy times.
To be fair mate, you can't pinpoint any one player who has produced a consistent performance for us so far this season (except perhaps Vermaelen and Szczesny). Arteta may bring a degree of normality to proceedings, but his injury record in recent times hasn't been great. Yossi is a Hleb-like player, and can be excellent on his day but you have to wonder why Chelsea would loan him out to someone who they consider a rival. They're good acquisitions in the circumstances but if their injury records flare up again in the next two months (touch wood that they don't), I think we're honestly fecked in terms of midfield options where only Ramsey and Song could go as first-choice options. Frimpong may play a role as will Coquelin, but it's just far too weak in the centre of the park.

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh well. I guess you gooners can feel comforted that Arsenals' management have learned their lessons from all these problems and will be keen to make absolutely sure that any new additions to the squad will be thoroughly assessed from the outset.

Especially when it comes to signing 31 old players who have a track record of being more injury prone than most and missed almost the whole of last season with a similar injury to Vermaelen.

Oh wait...
Did Arteta have a medical? He was apparently in Goodison relatively late on deadline day so what happened there?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be fair mate, you can't pinpoint any one player who has produced a consistent performance for us so far this season (except perhaps Vermaelen and Szczesny). Arteta may bring a degree of normality to proceedings, but his injury record in recent times hasn't been great. Yossi is a Hleb-like player, and can be excellent on his day but you have to wonder why Chelsea would loan him out to someone who they consider a rival. They're good acquisitions in the circumstances but if their injury records flare up again in the next two months (touch wood that they don't), I think we're honestly fecked in terms of midfield options where only Ramsey and Song could go as first-choice options. Frimpong may play a role as will Coquelin, but it's just far too weak in the centre of the park.
Chelsea probably don't consider you a title rival anymore and they probably swept £2m off the payroll by loaning Benayoun to you lot, as well as got rid of a player that would most likely be unhappy to be sitting on the bench at 31.

beardsleybob

The medical team is a fecking mess. I've got a horrible feeling that they're getting the initial diagnosis completely wrong and then find out a week later that they're stuck up shit creek. Also, has it been any wonder that ever since Gary Lewin went full-time with England that we've been terrible at managing knocks and bruises on players? I don't think it has anything to do with the training reigime, but the way we manage injuries is just terrible.
I think it has to be an error from the staff anyway. Whatever way they're going about treatment, whether it be with magic or just wishful thinking its cleary not enough. The Invincibles squad had great fitness, great regimes and very few injuries. This current group of Gooners just seem a bit delicate. I'm glad we put a bit more effort into the medical side of things, what with that new treatment centre we've developed.

Oh dear indeed. They're in some trouble.

That's poor systems management though. Why have we evolved tendons without the proper supply system being in place?
Well there not used excessively by most people so evolution would tell you that the focus is shifted to other areas to improve on. We're not cavemen anymore so it's not absolutely necessary to run for 90 minutes at a time. But still these lads are fit, its not my job to have a high level of fitness but I do it anyway so they have no excuses.