Film Thor: Love and Thunder

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What about it was virtue signalling? The same scene has been done in countless marvel films with male characters whether with cap and bucky, iron man and rhodey, or with mix groups with gotg, avengers etc. In nearly every superhero movie theres a scene like that when a set of superheroes get together, do a little posez say something quippy and then kick butt. This time they did it with women. As you said they did a similar thing in infinity war
Why would that be virtue signalling? I understand thinking the execution of the scene is cringy, but its not cringy because it featured only women.
Ok, in the next movie, I'll look forward to the scene where the Wakandans, Falcon (or the new Cap America now) and War Machine collectively take out a bad guy to emphasise black power and strength.

flameinthesun

Ok, in the next movie, I'll look forward to the scene where the Wakandans, Falcon (or the new Cap America now) and War Machine collectively take out a bad guy to emphasise black power and strength.
And what about that would be wrong? Seeing as its happened in every Marvel film so far with non-black superheroes

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What about it was virtue signalling? The same scene has been done in countless marvel films with male characters whether with cap and bucky, iron man and rhodey, or with mix groups with gotg, avengers etc. In nearly every superhero movie theres a scene like that when a set of superheroes get together, do a little posez say something quippy and then kick butt. This time they did it with women. As you said they did a similar thing in infinity war
Why would that be virtue signalling? I understand thinking the execution of the scene is cringy, but its not cringy because it featured only women.
Yeah, the only way that scene was cringey was anyone believing they could help Captain Marvel. I can just imagine her thinking "erm, yeah. Thanks folks. You're reaaaallllllyyy helping me out when I could definitely do this shit all by myself since I'm literally the most powerful fecker here."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Or you could maybe watch something without trying to partition people into separate groups based on a single variable like race or gender?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Or you could maybe watch something without trying to partition people into separate groups based on a single variable like race or gender?
Um, this is derailing the thread. I didn't do it, they did in Infinity War and Endgame. But let's move on.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So you agree its a running problem?

Tony Stark was an arms dealer, but not the illegal kind. Sure, thats probably splitting hairs, but its a hair thats need split.

Hawkeye murdered criminals, theres an argument to be made that killing bad guys is kinda what they all do, no?

Antman and GotG are thieves, and they arent being given the power over an entire race of people.

Gamora and Nebula, probably mass murderers. But again, no one is giving them power over an entire race. No one is holding them up to be worthy as a ruler.

Scarlet Witch should be in a jail cell at the very least. I have MASSIVE issues with the "They'll never know what you gave up" line at the end of that show.

Loki, again, no one is giving him the crown of Asgard. Giving it to him would be just as problematic as it is giving it to Valkyrie. Imagine how ridiculous it would be seeing loki giving a morality speech to his people with a straight face. Imagine Scarlet Witch giving a lecture about how its bad to enslave people. Imagine Antman or the guardians giving a speech about respecting other peoples property.

Theres also the issue that while all of these characters have highly questionable backgrounds. None of them have hundreds of years of doing those things, unlike Valkyrie. Who may in fact have been enslaving people for many thousands of years. Perhaps even hundreds of thousands of years. When Thor and Loki arrived on Sakaar, they exited the bifrost separated by a few seconds yet arrived separated by a couple of weeks. If we assume earth/Asgard time moves at a rate of say 10 secs = 1 week, its pretty easy to assume that Valkyrie has been there for so long that she might be the oldest living being we have met so far in the MCU. In any rate, Hela defeated the Valkyries more than 2000 years before she was released by Odins death. Valkyrie exiled herself on Sakaar at that time. So at a minium she has been enslaving people for 2000 years. 2000 years of being a dick seems like it would need more than one or two bit parts in movies to get that redemption arc to come good. No?
Just catching up on this thread, and reading the bolded made me laugh.

Arms for the good guys, therefore not badl! :lol:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
The cheeky bastards even made a whole film based around African culture

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Just catching up on this thread, and reading the bolded made me laugh.

Arms for the good guys, therefore not badl! :lol:
So arming Ukraine right now for example, is on par with thousands of years of enslaving people? If you say so, mate...

Andy_Cole

I’m confused that Christian Bale, who generally chooses great roles, has agreed to play a Marvel Villain in a one off movie. Fair enough if it’s a big bad like Thanos but this seems a little small time for him.

Unless there is potential for further movies?

Anyway trailer looks great. Marvel seen to be dying right now. Thor is all they have left in terms of big hitters. Spider-Man too but that’s still Sony isn’t it. I’m confused as the movies aren’t on Disney plus. Less I say about the neutered Hulk in SheHulk the better.

flameinthesun

I’m confused that Christian Bale, who generally chooses great roles, has agreed to play a Marvel Villain in a one off movie. Fair enough if it’s a big bad like Thanos but this seems a little small time for him.

Anyway trailer looks great. Marvel seen to be dying right now. Thor is all they have left in terms of big hitters. Spider-Man too but that’s still Sony isn’t it. I’m confused as the movies aren’t on Disney plus. Less I say about the neutered Hulk in SheHulk the better.
Wouldn't be surprised if he's agreed to it because its most likely a one and done role. Apart from Thanos Marvel has a tendency to kill its bad guys even when they are bug stars e.g. Cate Blanchett.

Also think Taika is starting to have a bit of pull with big actors, his movies are pretty much always fun and weird.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Can't wait for this - looks so much fun!

Smores

Yeah looks great. TW has pretty much saved the Thor series as it was done in it's classic format.

Drifter

American
Still not feeling it. Jokes feel forced and if that is going to be the level of humor it's going to be a long two and a bit hour's.

Nickosaur

I wouldn't say I'm a huge Marvel fan but I find most of the movies enjoyable enough. There are still loads of films I need to catch up on. But I do think Thor Ragnarok made the Thor universe much more interesting/enjoyable. Really looking forward to this.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I enjoyed him bouncing off the Guardians in Endgame so hope there is at least half an hour of that.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Reducing Thor to just a comedy character? It was bad enough what they did to him in Endgame. They really need to cut that out. I was hoping they would take a leaf out of Doctor Strange 2's book and follow a more darker/serious tone. We've seen enough banter and wisecracks. Time to move on ffs.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Waititi’s character was unfunny and annoying.
Waititi in real life is unfunny and annoying.
Was just about to say this. Brilliant director but wouldn't want to have a pint with him.

Reducing Thor to just a comedy character? It was bad enough what they did to him in Endgame. They really need to cut that out. I was hoping they would take a leaf out of Doctor Strange 2's book and follow a more darker/serious tone. We've seen enough banter and wisecracks. Time to move on ffs.
He's had the best and most genuine character development in all the mcu. He's more than just a comedy character.

Hamnat

It is probably liberating to be a one and done. It is an interesting role. Depending on how they handle it he should get to cause some significant impact with his butchery and attacking the pantheons of Marvel gods.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its not really a interesting role. He's just going to be generic cartoon villain. His dialogue already sounds god-awful.

Bad guy doing bad guy stuff isn't remotely interesting, sorry.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Sort of excited cos it's Taika Waititi.
Ragnorak (alongside GotG1) was easily the best Marvel film, for me. Hilarious, fun, beautiful to look at and felt very different to anything Marvel had done before that, basically what a superhero movie should be. So I'm hoping this is as good, or at least in the same vein. Waititi rarely puts a step wrong.

Bebe

Really enjoyed Ragnarok, hopefully this hits the spot given that I found Dr. Strange pretty meh.

Given the amount of social messaging in Marvel movies I can't help but cringe at the last scene in that trailer and wonder what the reception would be if that were Black Widow/Scarlet Witch etc being forcibly stripped and their male co-stars sat their eating popcorn and ogling.

atkar83

Still not feeling it. Jokes feel forced and if that is going to be the level of humor it's going to be a long two and a bit hour's.
I remember not being a fan of the humour in Ragnoroks trailers, but I loved the movie. I don't think they'll show any of the great stuff in ads