Film Thor: Love and Thunder

BeltUp

Supports
United
That's exactly what it felt like for me, would even use Two Broke Girls as the example. The goats got consistent laughs out of me, the rest not so much
Not seen that so couldn't say. I was actually going to compare it to a modern Simpsons episode. They've done to Thor what they did to Homer and turned him from a well-rounded but kinda dumb character into an absolute imbecile.

Raven

This is amongst my favourite marvel movies as most are total shit and I like the way this accepts that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It could've used a screenplay. How can you kill main hero's love interest and make it instantly forgettable — literally in the next scene everyone had moved on.

Loved Ragnarok but this one was distinctly average although in a funnier, trashier way than usual average Marvel movies. Expected more from Waititi though.

flameinthesun

There were reports that Waititi allowed the cast to do a lot more improvising than previously and that the editing was very difficult in terms of getting all that content down to a respectable run time. Think it shows as the movie does sometimes feel like a sketch show at times. It was enjoyable but even as a marvel fan I'll probably not watch it a second time. The annoying thing is the storyline with Gorr and Bale acting as Gorr probably could have been really good if only the movie took itself a bit more seriously.

Sylar

There were reports that Waititi allowed the cast to do a lot more improvising than previously and that the editing was very difficult in terms of getting all that content down to a respectable run time. Think it shows as the movie does sometimes feel like a sketch show at times. It was enjoyable but even as a marvel fan I'll probably not watch it a second time. The annoying thing is the storyline with Gorr and Bale acting as Gorr probably could have been really good if only the movie took itself a bit more seriously.
The full thing would be interesting. Unless it's something ridiculous like four/five hours
The run time is 2 hours so wondering if 20 mins more of Gorr would have made it better

flameinthesun

The full thing would be interesting. Unless it's something ridiculous like four/five hours
The run time is 2 hours so wondering if 20 mins more of Gorr would have made it better
From what I remember is its nearer the 4/5hr mark....

Traub

On a side note, the introduction of Eternity is absolutely massive. The most powerful being/entity in any MCU movie so far.

Himannv

Well, the goats were fantastic.

This had the potential to be so much better but it just didn't give enough time and buildup to the bits of the story that might have really made it great. It had a great villain who just didn't get enough screen time and they finally tapped into the potential of a great story for Jane Foster, only to not give it enough emphasis and make it epic enough essentially. I liked the GNR background songs - those made all the scenes a bit cooler and there were funny bits here and there but they wasted a lot of time with stuff that didn't matter.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I watched it again to give it a second chance. Nope. Thor is just a comedy character now. Gor amongst all that slapstick just did not work. Shame really. The only bit I enjoyed was seeing his daughter kick ass at the very end. Rubbish film.

Oldyella

Second watch did it no favours. What a waste of not one, but two great Thor stories. And a great villain along with a brilliant actor playing him.

NM

The goats was great. The rest of it was crap. Ragnarok was amazing. We needed more of that and not the love story nonsense. Very dissapointed.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The goats was great. The rest of it was crap. Ragnarok was amazing. We needed more of that and not the love story nonsense. Very dissapointed.
I wonder if he didn't suffer from the same kind of hubris as the GoT guys. You have huge success and you forget how painfully you crafted it, and think every idea you have is now gold, when that's not how you got there.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I wonder if he didn't suffer from the same kind of hubris as the GoT guys. You have huge success and you forget how painfully you crafted it, and think every idea you have is now gold, when that's not how you got there.
I thought that but he has so many good films that this theory might not be accurate.

I just think he's too busy trying to have threesomes and isn't focused anymore.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I thought that but he has so many good films that this theory might not be accurate.

I just think he's too busy trying to have threesomes and isn't focused anymore.
Just because it's funny when you're having threesomes with Natalie Portman doesn't mean it's actually funny. I'd be giggling at everything.

I hope he takes another shot at Thor.

I'd like to see him take on Mojo and The Mojoverse, not unlike Sakaar, if he's down to switch to Longshot and/or X-Men.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Only just watched. My god what a load of shite. Similar vibe to the Suicide Squad remake where it couldn't decide if it was meant to be a joke that's not actually very funny, or a film that's not actually very good, and at the same time makes you feel like it's deliberately ripping the piss out of you for still tolerating it anyway.

Solid 2/10, and that's probably being generous.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It was bad enough what they did to Thor in Endgame but Zeus was next level kind of shite.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wouldn't even know where to start. It was just garbage. The last one was funny at least. This was like someone unfunny trying to copy it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Just caught it on Disney. Wow, that is the worst marvel movie I have watched and I really liked the previous Thor movies.

Production wise, this feels like a "what if they had cgi to make flash gordon in the 80s" knock off. It is overly campy in the tone and visuals.

The humour becomes tame when everybody talks like an insecure centennial all the time. They had some very good building blocks today work with in this movie and ended up relegating everything to campy surface skits. I was genuinely surprised it was 6.3 on the imdb.

With just a dash of Villeneuve this could have been a decent movie. Show the indifference of the gods as cosmically absurd and grotesque rather than "we're all just fat blokes having a good time being filmed in 4:3 ratio". Let's see a bit of actual pain and authenticity in Thors midlife crisis and his relationship with Jane. Every character except Bale's feel parodies. And perhaps that is the intent but without any underlying gravitas it becomes a very dull affair.

No more of this please.

Last edited:

Sylar

Just caught it on Disney. Wow, that is the worst marvel movie I have watched and I really liked the previous Thor movies.

Production wise, this feels like a "what if they had cgi to make flash gordon in the 80s" knock off. It is overly campy in the tone and visuals.

The humour becomes tame when everybody talks like an insecure centennial all the time. They had some very good building blocks today work with in this movie and ended up relegating everything to campy surface skits. I was genuinely surprised it was 6.3 on the imdb.

With just a dash of Villeneuve this could have been a decent movie. Show the indifference of the gods as cosmically absurd and grotesque rather than "we're all just fat blokes having a good time being filmed in 4:3 ratio". Let's see a bit of actual pain and authenticity in Thors midlife crisis and his relationship with Jane. Every character except Bale's feel parodies. And perhaps that is the intent but without any underlying gravitas it becomes a very dull affair.

No more of this please.
I seriously think that belongs to BlackWidow Movie.

Sylar

Still better than the ant man series and iron man 3.
Iron Man 3 was good until the 'twist'.
Ant Man is fun series, especially the first one. Second was decent and still.

Black Widow just made no sense at all. It was trash especially when you remember shes not some super-enhanced human, surviving all the stuff she does and coming out with hardly a scratch.

Sylar

Black widow was poor in a tolerable ok kind of way. E

This was revolting.
Thats what make forums great, differing opinions
For me this was no where near as good as Ragnarok. That one had a great balance.
This one relied waaay too much on comedy, and was a waste of the Guardians esp the ending to Endgame. The music was fantastic and the little we saw of Bale was good (but again, they should have focused the movie on him sorta like IW did with Thanos).
This one was still ok but a disappointment due to Ragnarok.

BlackWidow I felt was about 5 or so years too late and nothing really mattered, and nothing seemed memorable.

Ainu

No more of this please.
I tried to watch this on a plane a couple of weeks ago, had to turn it off after about 30 minutes as staring at the seat in front of me seemed like a better way to spend my time. Seriously, what happened to Waititi between Ragnarok and this? The humour in the previous movie was mostly well done, here everything feels forced and annoying. It felt like pretty much every single character or scene existed for comedic relief, only there were no serious or tense scenes to get relief from, so it all fell flat.

Judging by your comments I take it the situation didn't really improve past those 30 minutes, so I guess I didn't miss anything.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Black Widow just made no sense at all. It was trash especially when you remember shes not some super-enhanced human, surviving all the stuff she does and coming out with hardly a scratch.
Agreed tbf. I think the first two ant men have no rewatch value, atleast for me, and that forms my opinion on a lot of movies thinking about it.

I'm not rewatching black widow that's for sure.

mu4c_20le

Black widow was poor in a tolerable ok kind of way. E

This was revolting.
It was fine. My first impression was like most people, in that it wasn't as good as Ragnarok, but subsequent viewings made it better.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It was fine. My first impression was like most people, in that it wasn't as good as Ragnarok, but subsequent viewings made it better.
How does something like that even happen?

decorativeed

Your criticism of BW managed to not even mention the worst bit: Ray Winstone!