Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

saivet

I haven't checked but I am solely going on watching Chelsea under him , I may actually be wrong who knows but honesty Chelsea under him looked dour and uninspiring more often than not .
I agree with you. I've found Bayern a similar watch this season too. That said, we have slim pickings. We thought we were going to get entertaining football under ETH and that has been far from good to watch.

gajender

I agree with you. I've found Bayern a similar watch this season too. That said, we have slim pickings. We thought we were going to get entertaining football under ETH and that has been far from good to watch.
Agreed about ETH so who knows with Tuchel we might get opposite and he might give us positive surprise if we do end up employing him .

STYLOISRED

He doesn't tolerate idiots around him. There are a lot of idiots in and around United's team. I fully get the concern that that might explode quite quickly :lol:
I instantly liked the man when i watched one of his press conferences at PSG where he called called his team performance "shit" after they had won a game. That kind of honesty may be why he doesn't last very long at clubs but boy! Do we need it at this club.

AdNani

After a a couple of seasons all of the teams I mentioned was getting worse. Not winning with Bayern this year even after getting Kane is a good indication.
He might still win the champions league, with his points total he’s of won the league in the majority of the last 10 years without the freak season from leverkuson.

won the league every year with PSG and at the moment is the only manager to get to a CL final.

had the highest win % of any Dortmund manager.

won The CL with Chelsea.

if he can replicate anything like any of those I’d be buzzing, by far the best candidate for the job.

Woziak

75m for Rashford on that wage? Lucky if we can get 60.

Casemiro for 25 is also difficult, ever since the Saudi gravy train left the station, probably 10-15m

We will find very difficult to sell 100m worth of our players and expect to get better replacements, on top of the areas we definitely need strengthening in like cb/ striker/ full backs

It will take 3/4 windows before we can clear most of the junk out, given the abundance of it we have.
The club won’t sell Rashford for less than £75m they’ll ask for £100m, last season they would have got £100-120m he has much more credit on the continent.

Don’t worry they won’t sell him anyway, it’s all heresay!

Maureen-yo

I instantly liked the man when i watched one of his press conferences at PSG where he called called his team performance "shit" after they had won a game. That kind of honesty may be why he doesn't last very long at clubs but boy! Do we need it at this club.
Reminds me of Ferguson calling out Aberdeens performance in the cup final (beating rangers), interviewer asked him how it felt to win and he said he didn’t care about winning because the performance was a “disgrace”. That’s the mentality we desperately need.

Woziak

You are in dream world with these numbers.

There is no way a club is paying £75m plus his 350k a week wages for Rashford. That would be a very similar package to what Real paid for Bellingham.

Plus, with all 4 players you have mentioned, there is a very, very limited pool of clubs that we "think" may be interested. If PSG really are interested, they know they are bidding against themselves and dealing with a seller that wants rid.

Where does Casemiro go if not for Saudi? It feels like the Saudi gravy train has stalled and now they only want the biggest of big names, like Salah.

Same for Sancho and Dortmund? Are they really going to cover his wages and a £35mil fee? no chance.

We saw it with Maguire in the summer. High wages and a limited pool of buyers (ie. just West Ham). It resulted in a bid the club could not accept as we couldn't get a replacement in for the money saved.
I’m not saying they will get these numbers but these are the prices are probably what they want to receive and in some cases more, it’s all to do with liabilities of the player, Rashford has none because he’s an academy product.

We still owe £30m on Sancho so to wipe the liability of the accounts the club will need at least £30m or they can’t really sell him so expect him back under a new coach .
The Saudi train is far from over, and If they can spend £40m on Fabinho, they’ll spend £25-30m on Casemiro.

My point that I think your missing, if we don’t generate cash, we can’t really do very much in the transfer market this summer unless the Glazers want to dilute even more of their share holding percentage and even then why would Sir Jim invest more without a 100% guarantee that the club will be his in 2 years!

Woziak

Agreed about ETH so who knows with Tuchel we might get opposite and he might give us positive surprise if we do end up employing him .
This may also be Tuchel’s last chance to be relevant, so he will come with a point to prove. He is a tier up from ETH and possibly still a top 10 world coach, he might go back to top 5 if he wins this seasons CL and there is the fact that the guy has never lost a semi final.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just found his Chelsea side to be pragmatic and uninspiring offensively, though I always remember Werner messing up numerous good opportunities.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
We should only be looking to employ him if we feel his football style is in line with what we want long term.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Reminds me of Ferguson calling out Aberdeens performance in the cup final (beating rangers), interviewer asked him how it felt to win and he said he didn’t care about winning because the performance was a “disgrace”. That’s the mentality we desperately need.
And he did it on the pitch whilst the players were celebrating!

Scottynaldinho

Perfect profile for us, checks all the boxes. On decline, falls out with players, no recent success, is notorious for getting sacked.

the_cliff

I just found his Chelsea side to be pragmatic and uninspiring offensively, though I always remember Werner messing up numerous good opportunities.
Tbf to Tuchel that Chelsea side was terrible (as we're seeing now), the fact that he won the UCL and finished top 4 is enough of an achievement. If they did play expansive attacking football they wouldn't have won the ucl and would have finished mid table.

Which is one of the reasons to get him imo, he's shown to be able to adjust and adapt to what he has available, I'd much rather have had Tuchel and conceded less (finished higher in the league) than playing like headless chickens and conceding 20-30 shots a game.

Scottynaldinho

Tbf to Tuchel that Chelsea side was terrible (as we're seeing now), the fact that he won the UCL and finished top 4 is enough of an achievement. If they did play expansive attacking football they wouldn't have won the ucl and would have finished mid table.
Ah shit, here we go again!

gaffs

I think hindsight has proven that Boehly is an idiot so I don't feel like there's any need to pay more attention to his opinion than you'd pay to some random post on the Caf.

Bayern are a club going through crisis right now and he's still comfortably beat Arsenal and only lost the title to a Leverkusen side on a historic streak. I don't think his playing record at Bayern is particularly bad.

The PSG management are no less idiotic than guys like Boehly. They sacked him for not getting them the CL and proceeded to never win the CL even with Messi, Mbappe and Neymar so eh :-/

I think he's a good coach and he's the one I'd give the benefit of the doubt to under a new structure. Not Ten Hag.
I don't think hindsight was required to see Boehly was an idiot.

I mention Jordan because he has implied that Boehly had no choice to sack Tuchels and if the story was made public, then everyone would understand.

I have read and heard that Tuchel doesn't like to work with higher ups, which may be the reason for his downfall at Chelsea and Bayern.

Would he be able to work with our new hierarchy?

gaffs

I’m not saying they will get these numbers but these are the prices are probably what they want to receive and in some cases more, it’s all to do with liabilities of the player, Rashford has none because he’s an academy product.

We still owe £30m on Sancho so to wipe the liability of the accounts the club will need at least £30m or they can’t really sell him so expect him back under a new coach .
The Saudi train is far from over, and If they can spend £40m on Fabinho, they’ll spend £25-30m on Casemiro.

My point that I think your missing, if we don’t generate cash, we can’t really do very much in the transfer market this summer unless the Glazers want to dilute even more of their share holding percentage and even then why would Sir Jim invest more without a 100% guarantee that the club will be his in 2 years!
I want to date Du Lipa, doesn't mean it will happen.

We are like the US Banks in 2008. We are holding on to Sub Prime players. But unlike the banks, we can't package them up and hide them in junk bonds. Everyone knows we want shut of half of our squad and they know how poorly they have performed of late.

The club are trying to thread the needle with any of our player sales, because there are, at the very best, maybe one or two suiters for the players we want rid of.

Dortmund can't take on Sanchos salary, which means we either part fund it, or we give him to them for free.
PSG are the only potential suitor for Rashford, and I emphasise the word potential. I believe those Rashford to PSG rumours really stem from their interest post his performance against them in 2019.

Fabinho went to Saudi in the summer of 2023. They have cooled their spending since.

Agree, we need cash. I just think we are going to struggle to generate it through player sales.

Unpopular opinion, but the club may be forced to sell an younger academy prospect at some point.

Teja

I mention Jordan because he has implied that Boehly had no choice to sack Tuchels and if the story was made public, then everyone would understand.

I have read and heard that Tuchel doesn't like to work with higher ups, which may be the reason for his downfall at Chelsea and Bayern.

Yeah I guess that's why I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to have done fine at Dortmund and Mainz and Dortmund atleast is not a club that gives a manager Fergie-like powers. It's possible he gets into a conflict with the management but even then he seems to deliver (Chelsea CL, Bayern CL SF, PSG fairly deep in CL). I'm in the let's give it a shot and see camp.

Lyng

No he enjoyed working under a hierarchy when it was still Abramovich. The issue was that he was asked to do all kinds of extra things under Boehly.

gaffs

Yeah I guess that's why I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to have done fine at Dortmund and Mainz and Dortmund atleast is not a club that gives a manager Fergie-like powers. It's possible he gets into a conflict with the management but even then he seems to deliver (Chelsea CL, Bayern CL SF, PSG fairly deep in CL). I'm in the let's give it a shot and see camp.
I just cant see him being the man who comes in, does well and stays for a good 6 to 8 years. I think it would only be a 2 or 3 year tenure, if that.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Do we have a clear run at Tuchel?

And what if Bayern go on and win the Champions League? Is he likely to be massively in demand then?

There may not be another ‘big’ vacancy this summer so we might get fortunate for once (should INEOS decide to part ways with Ten Hag).

croadyman

I just cant see him being the man who comes in, does well and stays for a good 6 to 8 years. I think it would only be a 2 or 3 year tenure, if that.
Oh I totally agree he's not a manager who stays for longer than 2 or 3 years,however feel he could at least get us back in top 4. By that time we would be a more attractive proposition to a Nagelsmann/Alonso heck maybe even Zidane might fancy it then.

Wilt

And what if Bayern go on and win the Champions League? Is he likely to be massively in demand then?

There may not be another ‘big’ vacancy this summer so we might get fortunate for once (should INEOS decide to part ways with Ten Hag).
If he were to win the CL, I’d guess there would be a massive outcry from Bayern supporters to keep him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If he were to win the CL, I’d guess there would be a massive outcry from Bayern supporters to keep him.
They would probably need to publicy crucify Uli Hoeneß to change Tuchel's mind. After recent comments I can't imagine Tuchel to sign for Bayern again while Hoeneß is alive.

Maticmaker

Down the road a bit Tuchel might give it some consideration, but short term I doubt it. Too much re- building behind the scenes and sh** shifting has to go on at OT before someone like Tuchel is likely to be interested.
This summer proven managers will be in demand and i suspect we are unlikely to attract anyone of necessary quality, till Sir Jim sounds the all clear.

croadyman

Down the road a bit Tuchel might give it some consideration, but short term I doubt it. Too much re- building behind the scenes and sh** shifting has to go on at OT before someone like Tuchel is likely to be interested.
This summer proven managers will be in demand and i suspect we are unlikely to attract anyone of necessary quality, till Sir Jim sounds the all clear.
So in your eyes Erik stays or we end up appointing someone unproven like Potter/De Zerbi

Maticmaker

So in your eyes Erik stays or we end up appointing someone unproven like Potter/De Zerbi
Yes, probably, either way I don't see our fortunes changing quickly. Whoever comes in has to find out what ETH already knows, plus if the hierarchy in the club has still not been sorted properly, then its one step forward and two back as far as I can see.
I do think ETH will go eventually, even if he gets his first line defence back, sticking with inverted wingers, two man mid-fields etc. are not going to work, we are too easy to play against. However if we pull up the rug without anything to take its place the road back to greatness will get even longer.

Hughie77

I thought we should have gone for him when he left Psg.
A lot has passed since then and he had bit of rough trot at Bayern.. but he's still good manager.

croadyman

Certainly not going to change my belief in him as a good manager if they get beat tonight

saivet

Perfect profile for us, checks all the boxes. On decline, falls out with players, no recent success, is notorious for getting sacked.
Does he actually fall out with players? Most of his fallings out have been with executives I think. Obviously that's not a good thing either but if I'm not mistaken, he's not one to create a toxic dressing room.

Frank Grimes

He loves English football, has made no secret of that.

Big Andy

Bloke
He isn't a miracle worker, I don't think any manager could turn us around at the moment, without a tranche of new players.

Our players can't play the type of game he would want them to play, so we would have to go out and buy players who will.

tomaldinho1

This may also be Tuchel’s last chance to be relevant, so he will come with a point to prove. He is a tier up from ETH and possibly still a top 10 world coach, he might go back to top 5 if he wins this seasons CL and there is the fact that the guy has never lost a semi final.
Feel like getting to the semis have saved his reputation, if they go all the way he'll likely leave with an enhanced reputation so not sure about the idea of him not being 'relevant'.

criticalanalysis

He isn't a miracle worker, I don't think any manager could turn us around at the moment, without a tranche of new players.

Our players can't play the type of game he would want them to play, so we would have to go out and buy players who will.
I think it's the opposite really. He's adaptable and is able to play a system to get the players playing to a good standard. However, like you said, he's probably not going to wring everything out of them and get them playing levels above their 'real' talent i.e something closer to Klopp.

I think we have a good set of players and with a few additions, I'd be happy with being a solid top four team looking to challenge/get even better season on season. That's probably what we will probably have to set our expectations too.

Telsim

Not my first choice, but the list has gotten very short. Biggest issue is his personality. But he is orders of magnitude above the current manager in all aspects. Couldn't be any worse.

Gavinb33

How organised and controlled Bayern have been against one of the best teams in the world has been great, I was a bit against his Chelsea team but between that team and this Bayern one you can see he just works with the players at his disposal