Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

Winning biggest prize in club football and his touchline manner says he is always looking for more
Di Matteo also won the CL for Chelsea.

As for his touchline manner, I don't know. I'd like a bit more than this and a good CL run to declare someone as having a winner mentality.

Cerberus

Di Matteo also won the CL for Chelsea.

As for his touchline manner, I don't know. I'd like a bit more than this and a good CL run to declare someone as having a winner mentality.
Di Matteo was in the right place at the right time and allowed Chelsea's star veterans to take the reins and do as they please. It's more comparable to Ole's amazing run in early 2019 except with a much better squad.

Amir

Di Matteo was in the right place at the right time and allowed Chelsea's star veterans to take the reins and do as they please. It's more comparable to Ole's amazing run in early 2019 except with a much better squad.
I don't have a problem with that. It's just that it seems a lot of people tend to prefer Tuchel to other managers mostly based on that one CL run that supposedly makes him a winner. It's not that black and white.

DON’T PANIC ™

Genuinely going to and forth between Tuchel and keeping ETH.
None of the other candidates give me any hope whatsoever of a turnaround so I think it should be one of those 2. But meh.
It’s like choosing Starmer or the Tories. Things must be a lot better under Tuchel, but secretly I’m not sure of that.

Andy_Cole

None of the other candidates give me any hope whatsoever of a turnaround so I think it should be one of those 2. But meh.
It’s like choosing Starmer or the Tories. Things must be a lot better under Tuchel, but secretly I’m not sure of that.
Is there a Lib Dem option?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This one should be a lot more quieter now with poch being available. I know a lot of our fan base love poch

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Tuchel won’t turn us around either. Think poch as a better chance as he has better man management. A lot of players love an arm around the shoulder and perform better with that.

bosskeano

Winning biggest prize in club football and his touchline manner says he is always looking for more
i think Tuchel would severly clash wiht some of the players we have and their personalities.....Poch i think would fit in a bit more due to the younger kids

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
i think Tuchel would severly clash wiht some of the players we have and their personalities.....Poch i think would fit in a bit more due to the younger kids
Who are the players he would clash with? Also Tuchel is excellent with young players.

bosskeano

Who are the players he would clash with? Also Tuchel is excellent with young players.
i just think he wouldn't have the same impact on the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho...Tuchel is a bloody screamer and young players dno't appreciate that type of manager

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't have a problem with that. It's just that it seems a lot of people tend to prefer Tuchel to other managers mostly based on that one CL run that supposedly makes him a winner. It's not that black and white.
It's not just one CL run, it is one title. But Tuchel also is one of only four managers who reached a CL semifinal with three or more different clubs (Mourinho, Guardiola amd Ancelotti are the others).

JPRouve

Scout
i just think he wouldn't have the same impact on the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho...Tuchel is a bloody screamer and young players dno't appreciate that type of manager
None of Mbappé, Sancho, Nkunku, Nianzou, Dembélé, Diaby, Weigl, Pulisic, James and many others have had any issue with him, on the contrary.

Amir

It's not just one CL run, it is one title. But Tuchel also is one of only four managers who reached a CL semifinal with three or more different clubs (Mourinho, Guardiola amd Ancelotti are the others).
So this winner is regularly losing in the final stages :cool:

I don't have a particular problem with him. I wouldn't mind it if he gets the job, but I hope the club is now able to look deeper than that.

bosskeano

None of Mbappé, Sancho, Nkunku, Nianzou, Dembélé, Diaby, Weigl, Pulisic, James and many others have had any issue with him, on the contrary.
and he didn't last long as the gaffer of any of these clubs....he's got a bit of mourinho in him, 2 years and that's the best they get

JPRouve

Scout
and he didn't last long as the gaffer of any of these clubs....he's got a bit of mourinho in him, 2 years and that's the best they get
That's a different argument and it's not actually a difference between Pochettino and Tuchel, their longest stint is 5 years for both(4.5 years for Pochettino). Since 2009 when they both started their careers, they managed the same amount of clubs.

croadyman

The man management could well be something that INEOS consider important in candidates which would give Pochettino that edge

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The man management could well be something that INEOS consider important in candidates which would give Pochettino that edge
Pochettino would be the most baffling choice. His stock is falling having struggled / failed at two jobs consecutively - this should not earn one the big job at United. I’d prefer taking a gamble on McKenna than Pochettino.

croadyman

Pochettino would be the most baffling choice. His stock is falling having struggled / failed at two jobs consecutively - this should not earn one the big job at United. I’d prefer taking a gamble on McKenna than Pochettino.
Maybe INEOS believe he has been working under awful structures at PSG and Chelsea. Much as we might think he's the wrong choice it's well known Utd have coveted him since 2016. What could go against him with them is the fact he supposedly wants more say over transfers. He does work well with young players which I often see the fanbase talk about as being an important trait in Utd manager.

amolbhatia50k

Maybe INEOS believe he has been working under awful structures at PSG and Chelsea. Much as we might think he's the wrong choice it's well known Utd have coveted him since 2016. What could go against him with them is the fact he supposedly wants more say over transfers. He does work well with young players which I often see the fanbase talk about as being an important trait in Utd manager.
That holds true for ETH true. He’s got better achievements in football than Pochettino imo.

amolbhatia50k

Yes I will give you that, however he does have a defined style of play which Erik can't say
What is it btw? I’ve always found Pochettino’s team’s a bit boring and functional to be honest. ETH’s Ajax played some of the most exciting football in Europe at the time relative to the quality of the team. His style has just fallen apart with us.

MDFC Manager

I would prefer that too, but I'd prefer both of them above Tuchel

adkb

That's a different argument and it's not actually a difference between Pochettino and Tuchel, their longest stint is 5 years for both(4.5 years for Pochettino). Since 2009 when they both started their careers, they managed the same amount of clubs.
Aren't you the poster who kept saying Poch has loser mentality? What about Tuchle? Fighting with every board members, throwing his toys out of the pram? Playing terrible football with a club that had just won the CL?

I'm pointing it out only because I think Tuchel has a bigger mentality problem than Poch.

JPRouve

Scout
Aren't you the poster who kept saying Poch has loser mentality? What about Tuchle? Fighting with every board members, throwing his toys out of the pram? Playing terrible football with a club that had just won the CL?

I'm pointing it out only because I think Tuchel has a bigger mentality problem than Poch.
I already told you what I think about Pochettino and why, It doesn't apply to Tuchel because Tuchel didn't repeatedly made similar statements.

And as I said you can have the opinion that you want about whoever you want, you don't have to agree with me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes I will give you that, however he does have a defined style of play which Erik can't say
What is it btw? I’ve always found Pochettino’s team’s a bit boring and functional to be honest. ETH’s Ajax played some of the most exciting football in Europe at the time relative to the quality of the team. His style has just fallen apart with us.
Poch's style is gegenpressing from 8 years ago. He deliberately creates chaos and sacrifices control. High pressing to create turnovers but with no notion of possession structures.

This is why I keep calling it caveman football. When even the undisputed poster boy for gegenpressing in Klopp has moved away from it to focus more on possession then that should be a pretty good indicator that it's not a viable strategy if you actually want to win things.

Red00012

So this winner is regularly losing in the final stages :cool:

I don't have a particular problem with him. I wouldn't mind it if he gets the job, but I hope the club is now able to look deeper than that.
As opposed to Pochettino who’s won the square root of feck all

JPRouve

Scout
Poch's style is gegenpressing from 8 years ago. He deliberately creates chaos and sacrifices control. High pressing to create turnovers but with no notion of possession structures.

This is why I keep calling it caveman football. When even the undisputed poster boy for gegenpressing in Klopp has moved away from it to focus more on possession then that should be a pretty good indicator that it's not a viable strategy if you actually want to win things.
To add to this. Pochettino's team are generally very very good at creating that chaos and turnovers deep into the opposition's half, that's why his teams have good possession stats. Not because they try to keep the ball or are good at it but because they regain possession very quickly. It's a bit similar to teams coached by Bielsa.

Superwoofer

The third option in the poll perfectly encapsulates how I feel about him, apparently many others feel the same too.

Let's hope he does with us what he did for Chelsea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
To add to this. Pochettino's team are generally very very good at creating that chaos and turnovers deep into the opposition's half, that's why his teams have good possession stats. Not because they try to keep the ball or are good at it but because they regain possession very quickly. It's a bit similar to teams coached by Bielsa.
The similarity also goes deeper because both also run their teams into the ground and often concede late goals even against inferior opposition. Especially now when even smaller teams are capable of escaping aggressive presses regularly and then taking advantage of the chasms of space in midfield - it's just not a viable approach if you want to win things consistently.

matsdf

The third option in the poll perfectly encapsulates how I feel about him, apparently many others feel the same too.

Let's hope he does with us what he did for Chelsea
We're not in the CL unfortunately. Doubt he'll ever get us in too, to be honest.

Amir

As opposed to Pochettino who’s won the square root of feck all
Well, both won trophies in France and Tuchel also won the league with Bayern (which until this year wasn't supposed to be a big deal). The big difference is therefore that one of them won the CL and the other didn't.... But he was one game away from doing that and lost to a much better side.

Which is exactly what I mean when I say that I hope the club is now better equiped to choose a manager not just on his Wikipedia list of honours.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
When tuchel took over us we were a struggling team and was placed 10 th in the table. He made us top 4 team and FA Cup finalist and CL winner that season. Next season he got us to cl semi final, league Cup fa cup finalist and top 3 team despite we were sanctioned that season.

Tuchel for me one of greatest coaches of this era. I know it's a dream but if chelsea owners have any sense will appoint him as a head coach but won't happen.

JPRouve

Scout
Well, both won trophies in France and Tuchel also won the league with Bayern (which until this year wasn't supposed to be a big deal). The big difference is therefore that one of them won the CL and the other didn't.... But he was one game away from doing that and lost to a much better side.

Which is exactly what I mean when I say that I hope the club is now better equiped to choose a manager not just on his Wikipedia list of honours.
The difference is that one won trophies with 4 of the 5 clubs(first teams) he managed while the other won with one. The other difference is that one complains about expectations being too high and trophies being for egos while the other doesn't.

I wouldn't call Tuchel a winner but both managers achievements aren't the same.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
its a bit like Mourinho in that his jobs seems to follow a pattern that ends up with a fallout with either the player, the board or both, only Tuchel seems to be more 2nd season syndrome as opposed to Jose's 3rd season syndrome. Unless its for a short term fix which seems silly its a no thanks for me.

sugar_kane

its a bit like Mourinho in that his jobs seems to follow a pattern that ends up with a fallout with either the player, the board or both, only Tuchel seems to be more 2nd season syndrome as opposed to Jose's 3rd season syndrome. Unless its for a short term fix which seems silly its a no thanks for me.
He's Mourinho without the charm or the magnitude of success.

If we a hire a manager who takes a team who have won the league eleven years in a row, signs one of the best strikers in the world, and finishes third - who already has a history of falling out with clubs and players, the Ineos era is fecked before we've even began.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
He's Mourinho without the charm or the magnitude of success.

If we a hire a manager who takes a team who have won the league eleven years in a row, signs one of the best strikers in the world, and finishes third - who already has a history of falling out with clubs and players, the Ineos era is fecked before we've even began.
yes agreed, very well put. This is why i stick with ETH and let the club concentrate on getting the 'upstairs' part of the management and recruitment strategy fixed first. By the end of next season this structure should be nicely in place and the club will be in a better situation to judge ETH and move on if needed. Any change in manager with the quite frankly underwhelming bunch of chancers around at the moment would be a mistake in the long term in my opinion for what its worth. Ideally once these structures are in place then any competent manager/coach with a style suited to the club vision should be able to slot in relatively seemlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.