Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Context is key, here. The side who won the Bundesliga went on an unprecedented unbeaten season, and Tuchel was confirmed to be leaving the club as early as February, with well over 10 league games left to go. The towel was already thrown in.

I think Tuchel is far from some elite level manager who will resolve everything, but you'd get the impression we're committing some sort of atrocity if he were to replace a manager who has broken at least 4 of our very worst Premier League stats.

johnnyteutonic

I've voted yes but honestly what's the longest he's lasted at a club?
I get that his C.V. is laden with clubs with notoriously disastrous boardrooms but that is still a big concern for me.

But I can't think of many other standout candidates.
He's just too obvious...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's Mourinho without the charm or the magnitude of success.

If we a hire a manager who takes a team who have won the league eleven years in a row, signs one of the best strikers in the world, and finishes third - who already has a history of falling out with clubs and players, the Ineos era is fecked before we've even began.
Mourinho gets incredibly toxic towards the players and throws them under the bus to reduce blame on himself (which is the huge difference between the first and second half of his career, as in the earlier part he seemed to deliberately draw the attention to himself to protect the players).

I don't get that impression with Tuchel. His fall-outs tend to be with the upper management at the clubs. Obviously that's not great, but hasn't he arguably been right each time? Certainly seems to be the case at Chelsea, Bayern and PSG anyway where he was having to deal with incompetence above him.

bosskeano

That's a different argument and it's not actually a difference between Pochettino and Tuchel, their longest stint is 5 years for both(4.5 years for Pochettino). Since 2009 when they both started their careers, they managed the same amount of clubs.
it is and it isn't....simply what i'm saying, which i think both tie together, is that Tuchel is abrassive to players and wears out his welcome thus his stint at clubs is short. You could possibly get away with that type of old school coaching with veteran teams and players but you can't with this new generation simply b/c they are wealthy entitled young kids who don't have the strong spine to handle being told no or told they need to do things differently

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
it is and it isn't....simply what i'm saying, which i think both tie together, is that Tuchel is abrassive to players and wears out his welcome thus his stint at clubs is short. You could possibly get away with that type of old school coaching with veteran teams and players but you can't with this new generation simply b/c they are wealthy entitled young kids who don't have the strong spine to handle being told no or told they need to do things differently
Where are you getting Tuchel being abrasive with players from?

Foolsgold21

Got no problem with him coming in as ‘Head Coach’ and being on board with the new suits way of thinking.

Gator Nate

You have to ask two questions:

Can he get enough out of the current squad to do anything useful?

How much change to the squad is required to make it suit his plans?

Prediction: We fire EtH on Monday, we get a new coach in, and we're right back in the same spot in 24 months asking the same questions about the next candidate.

Rojofiam

Definitely wouldn't mind it, been actually warming to the idea of him taking over if ETH is done for.

I think we can go in several directions, keeping ETH, getting a young, somewhat unproven option in McKenna/RDZ, or getting a proven manager like Tuchel, etc., There's dozens of options that could work out, as what matters the most is how good Ineos are going to be at providing them the absolute highest chances of succeeding at the club, in my opinion.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Prediction: We fire EtH on Monday, we get a new coach in, and we're right back in the same spot in 24 months asking the same questions about the next candidate.
We are in a worse spot now that we were last season and similar to 2 season ago when Rangnick was here.
We are in much worse situation that we were in Ole's second and third season.

Tuchel might be good, decent or terrible, no one knows.
ETH himself went from being decent/good to an absolute disaster in a span of 12 months.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He isn't abrasive to players. Frankly I don't know where your idea that he may have issue with young players even comes from, it has never been a thing for the past 15 years.

Where are you getting Tuchel being abrasive with players from?
I would like to know that myself.

Woziak

The only manager with the EGO and know how to get us going straight away is Tuchel I’ll explain why ;

1. He’s got something to prove to Bayern, Chelsea, himself and the PL
2. He’ll just be happy to get his feet under the table and start working in EPL again
3. He’s not going to cost any transfer fee
4. He can play similar but not the same to ETH s he favours a 4231 not a 4-1-2-3 which empties your midfield.
5. He’s good at getting misfiring players to perform providing he rates them and he rates Rashford, Bruno, Shaw and Maguire.
6. He’s tactically flexible in the league to switch to 343 or 3-1-4-2
7. contrary to popular belief he does develop youth players, Challobah and Gallagher wouldn’t be up for sale if he stayed at Chelsea.

He’s lost one domestic and European semi final and that was this year to Ancelotti, he’s got a great cup record like ETH but he’s far more tactical T and it’s highly unlikely he would suffer 19/20 defeats.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He is the most sensible appointment. It would only be short term but could allow the footballing hierarchy form and plan over the next couple seasons.

JezChan

I'd take Tuchel over Pochettino if we get rid of ten Hag. It's a dire manager market out there, and as other posters have pointed out, I think it's more important to steady the ship for the next 1-2 years rather than gamble on "the one" (e.g. a McKenna-type appointment).

leeroyTX

Which would definitely happen if Teuchel is hired. He hasn't lasted more than 24 months anywhere since he was at Mainz.

AneRu

Definitely wouldn't mind it, been actually warming to the idea of him taking over if ETH is done for.

I think we can go in several directions, keeping ETH, getting a young, somewhat unproven option in McKenna/RDZ, or getting a proven manager like Tuchel, etc., There's dozens of options that could work out, as what matters the most is how good Ineos are going to be at providing them the absolute highest chances of succeeding at the club, in my opinion.
This is the cool thing about this summer as they are valid reasons for choosing any direction.

1. Tuchel or Poch
They are the old guard well versed in pressing styles that ETH was trying to build here. Both have also guided young talent through. They are proven as capable of breaching the top 3 in the PL but never got all the way. They won't revolutionarize how we play and would allow us to rebuild with the majority of the squad we have in place whilst challenging for and achieving CL football.

2. McKenna or De Zerbi
New breed of attacking coaches who would need time whilst we completely rebuild the side and they undergo some personal growth. Young coaches are en vogue due to what Alonso and, to a lesser extent, Motta and McKenna have achieved. They would need a complete revamp and an acceptance that we may fail to compete for a few seasons. The pay off, if they get it right, will be bigger.

Basically we could bring in the experienced Tuchel/Poch and compete now or we could start a new rebuild where we all accept that we are in it for the long haul like what Arsenal did with Arteta. We should also recognise that it would mean moving on from most of our senior players.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

People say the squad is filled with players that don’t suit ETH anyway, so at worst we’d only be where we are now.

Craig Ward

Tuchel and Poch both fill me with dread to be honest.

Neither seem like a worthwhile upgrade on ETH.

Poch and Tuchel both seem to have lost they're spark. Been at a number of clubs in a short period of time.

Do they have the desire, drive and energy required? The UTD top job comes under more scrutiny than any job in the world, even more so with INEOS on board.

I genuinely cannot see what either will bring that ETH can't.

ETH isn't perfect granted, but look at the squad he's got. The issue's he's faced and the injury record. Working for the Glazers under our structure would have never got him success. Ever.

It's simply not worth investing in a whole new coaching team for 12>24 months with Tuchel or Poch THEN starting again from there. ETH needs to be given time. Our structure is changing, our methods of work are changing. ETH can be the guy.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think if you believe the reports he agreed to leave after the palace defeat, this looks absolutely nailed on and I will be lumping on it.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Tuchel and Poch both fill me with dread to be honest.

Neither seem like a worthwhile upgrade on ETH.

Poch and Tuchel both seem to have lost they're spark. Been at a number of clubs in a short period of time.

Do they have the desire, drive and energy required? The UTD top job comes under more scrutiny than any job in the world, even more so with INEOS on board.

I genuinely cannot see what either will bring that ETH can't.

ETH isn't perfect granted, but look at the squad he's got. The issue's he's faced and the injury record. Working for the Glazers under our structure would have never got him success. Ever.

It's simply not worth investing in a whole new coaching team for 12>24 months with Tuchel or Poch THEN starting again from there. ETH needs to be given time. Our structure is changing, our methods of work are changing. ETH can be the guy.
Tuchel simply makes better decisions than ETH. Won silverware in 3 countries. Knows the Premier League much better than Ten Hag when he arrived.

I just do not see Tuchel fumbling transfers the way ETH did, and I can see him bringing some coherence to the side tactically.

For me this season at Bayern was not as unsuccessful as some make it out to be. He is still one of the best coaches around.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
ETH needs to be given time. Our structure is changing, our methods of work are changing. ETH can be the guy.
Trouble is he finished 8th after spending record sums on transfers. There's no way any United manager survives that in the present day, especially at a time when City are the benchmark.

Abraxas

My issue with Tuchel is he never seems to last and he's the common denominator. Whatever defence is offered up for him it's hard to ignore the facts around that.

Is that what we need? On the one hand yes a firm hand to command respect is needed with some of this mob that call themselves United players. But on the other we already have a lot of new faces in the leadership team and an ability to actually manage up is going to be crucial. The last thing you need is a complete shit show where the managers ego runs away with itself and he's falling out with Ratcliffe, INEOS, Ashworth and whoever else.

If that happens it causes more damage than his undoubted ability solves. But on paper he's the outstanding available candidate.

greater wall

Tuchel simply makes better decisions than ETH. Won silverware in 3 countries. Knows the Premier League much better than Ten Hag when he arrived.

I just do not see Tuchel fumbling transfers the way ETH did, and I can see him bringing some coherence to the side tactically.

For me this season at Bayern was not as unsuccessful as some make it out to be. He is still one of the best coaches around.
He signed Harry Kane that everyone here wanted and claimed that he would guarantee success. Bayern have a big advantage in their league. He has failed more than ETH.

NoPace

Squad with Tuchel thoughts:

-Could be good for Mainoo as he has some similar qualities to Kovacic and he and Tuchel seemed to work well together from what I recall (and google suggests they like each other).

-3 at the back wouldn't shock me. Maguire seems like a player he'd be okay with using despite his issues, and you have him central only, with Shaw and Lisandro covering LCB, a new RCB and Dalot and a new LWB as wingbacks. Mainoo and a new DM in midfield, front 3 of Bruno and one of Garnacho, Mount, Amad or Rashford.

432JuanMata

These two should not be even used in the same sentence.
People are having recent bias when coming to Tuchel. This is the same manager that won Chelsea the CL and got PSG to the final. His season was bad at Bayern but was still mins away from another final in the CL.

RedStarUnited

I cant believe people are saying Poch is as hopeless as ETH. Chelsea were playing much better football than us during the whole season. They just couldn’t put the ball in the net but their chance creation was a lot higher than ours.

AkaAkuma

Which players in the team would improve under him.

Did he utilize Mount well?

croadyman

He's my top choice, however think there is a lot of truth in Ducker reporting that INEOS have concerns about his character. Therefore can see that ultimately costing him the job.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
People may not like it but this is the sensible choice. It's not the the time to think about sexy tiki taka football it's simply time to get the opposition expected goals down. Tuchel can do that, he can get the team top 4. Then if the recruitment is right when just getting top 4 is enough you can try to bring in a young sexy manager.

It's too early for McKenna, in my opinion, and if he tries to play like he did at Ipswich and it doesn't work, it's going to be a disaster.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Absolutely horrible choice and another two years down the drain if we go with Tuchel.

hobbers

Absolutely horrible choice and another two years down the drain if we go with Tuchel.
Would sure beat another year down the drain with ETH followed by x years down the drain with Southgate after his england contract is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.