Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Also we weren't actually negative but just couldn't finish anything. Reece James was by far our best and most consistent finisher under Tuchel which should tell you everything you need to know. The football was excellent.
Did you guys hoof the ball at every chance or does tuchel prefer the ball on the ground?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Did you guys hoof the ball at every chance or does tuchel prefer the ball on the ground?
Not too much hoofing but Tuchel adapted to the limitations of Mendy in goal. What stood out the most about Chelsea under Tuchel was the defined patterns of play in our third and in the middle third. We would consistently beat presses and win midfield battles in large part because of how Tuchel had us set up.

I know I'm biased but Chelsea under Tuchel in the latter half of the CL campaign in 20/21 was as dominant as any side has been in recent memory. So many people are going on about the box midfield in modern tactics - the guy who brought that to prominence first was Tuchel at Chelsea.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Let's not allow the opinion of someone, who actually watched his football every week, get in the way of things...

Or any of the stats about his teams. Or the typical tactics he has employed at most clubs, or the trophies he's won. None of that matters. We just need to keep ETH and everyone else gets dismissed by people who don't know what they're talking about.
Honestly this thread is comical at times. Tuchel is a fecking genius and personally I desperately hope he get reappointed at Chelsea. I don't mean to be rude but United supporters turning their noses up at him is absolutely absurd when he'd be by a fecking mile your best manager since SAF.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Honestly this thread is comical at times. Tuchel is a fecking genius and personally I desperately hope he get reappointed at Chelsea. I don't mean to be rude but United supporters turning their noses up at him is absolutely absurd when he'd be by a fecking mile your best manager since SAF.
I still half expect him to return to you in all honesty, and no doubt we'll all be sat here in 12 months asking how Ineos let the opportunity go in favour of keeping ETH.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I still half expect him to return to you in all honesty, and no doubt we'll all be sat here in 12 months asking how Ineos let the opportunity go in favour of keeping ETH.
Looks like our dumbfeck owners will also let the opportunity go - butthurt that Tuchel didn't want to waste his time explaining why signing CR7 in 2022 would be a bad idea

MinGin

Approaching someone who managed the top club to win nothing since 2011 / out of 1st & 2nd places since 2011 / lost to 3nd division in cup game..
no please..He is not the answer....I don't think he is better than ETH to be honest...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Bookies still have McKenna as the overwhelming favorite, followed by Pochettino and then Tuchel. So they don't seem to be buying into these rumors.
That's not how odds work though. The McKenna news came out and a lot of people bet McKenna, so they are very exposed to that outcome, hence why the odds are so short now. There will be lots of swings as the camps leak stuff.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
@TheMagicFoolBus what was he like on promoting youth? That's the one thing I don't really know if he aligns with United on or not.
He's consistently been excellent for his entire career - Nkunku, Diaby, Kimpembe, and Rabiot all featured regularly for him. At Chelsea he was instrumental in taking the likes of Mount, James, and RLC to the next level - he also gave Chalobah his debut.

It was absolutely comical that we appointed Potter supposedly because of his record with youth - when it actually doesn't compare to what Tuchel has done.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's consistently been excellent for his entire career - Nkunku, Diaby, Kimpembe, and Rabiot all featured regularly for him. At Chelsea he was instrumental in taking the likes of Mount, James, and RLC to the next level - he also gave Chalobah his debut.

It was absolutely comical that we appointed Potter supposedly because of his record with youth - when it actually doesn't compare to what Tuchel has done.
Thanks, wasn't sure but that's good to hear. He's definitely my favoured choice if we're changing managers, I just don't see how anyone come close to him in terms of experience and profile.

croadyman

This is the guy if ETH is indeed sacked. He can be a volatile character at times but is far less of a risk than the other names being mentioned.
Yeah I would only change Erik for him, however gut feeling is INEOS aren’t convinced due to character

Salford_Red83

Approaching someone who managed the top club to win nothing since 2011 / out of 1st & 2nd places since 2011 / lost to 3nd division in cup game..
no please..He is not the answer....I don't think he is better than ETH to be honest...
Jesus wept

croadyman

Hoping INEOS realise he can work with youth players, do you think his fiery character persona gets a bit overstated or is it valid concern

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hoping INEOS realise he can work with youth players, do you think his fiery character persona gets a bit overstated or is it valid concern
I think it's completely overstated. Tuchel has no patience for bullshit and won't hesitate to clash with the hierarchy if they're being stupid. This was basically why his relationship with Chelsea deteriorated - but under Marina / Cech he was thrilled to finally be in a place where he could solely focus on coaching the players and didn't have to be bothered with transfer drama.

PeteManic

Tuchel is another of the two to three year career managers. Are people clueless?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think it's completely overstated. Tuchel has no patience for bullshit and won't hesitate to clash with the hierarchy if they're being stupid. This was basically why his relationship with Chelsea deteriorated - but under Marina / Cech he was thrilled to finally be in a place where he could solely focus on coaching the players and didn't have to be bothered with transfer drama.
I'd phrase it a bit different: If you want to know if you have idiots working in your board, just sign Tuchel. If he goes ballistic you know you have them. If it works fine, than you can be sure you have a good structure.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not too much hoofing but Tuchel adapted to the limitations of Mendy in goal. What stood out the most about Chelsea under Tuchel was the defined patterns of play in our third and in the middle third. We would consistently beat presses and win midfield battles in large part because of how Tuchel had us set up.

I know I'm biased but Chelsea under Tuchel in the latter half of the CL campaign in 20/21 was as dominant as any side has been in recent memory. So many people are going on about the box midfield in modern tactics - the guy who brought that to prominence first was Tuchel at Chelsea.
Ah thanks

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd phrase it a bit different: If you want to know if you have idiots working in your board, just sign Tuchel. If he goes ballistic you know you have them. If it works fine, than you can be sure you have a good structure.
Even more reason to hire him then.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That is hugely important, arguably even decisive. Because we're in a phase where something needs to be built. The 2-3-season cycle we've been on for managers is a big problem in itself.
Player recruitment is the biggest problem and by all accounts were going away from a model where the manager has so much influence to avoid the mistakes of the past.

You can't guarantee that any manager will last more than 2 years or say that Tuchel definitely won't. It should all be down to how much progress they are making.

OsloRed

That is hugely important, arguably even decisive. Because we're in a phase where something needs to be built. The 2-3-season cycle we've been on for managers is a big problem in itself.
We can't think like that though. We're setting up a structure that means we are less dependent on managers for continuity, so the 3-season cycle shouldn't really be a problem.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You shouldn't rely on the manager to build something anyways. That's the big mistake United made after SAF, not hiring and firing managers, but every time thinking that everything has to change when you have a new manager. Steady squad development is possible, the manager should be seen more as a squad member in that sense than as someone who creates the squad like he wants.

Infra-red

Of the four candidates reportedly under consideration if we sack Ten Hag, only Thomas Frank would be coming here off the back of a 3+ year stint at another club. Presumably, he is your first choice if we dispense with Ten Hag's services? Pochettino and Tuchel have both managed 5 year stints previously (at Tottenham and Mainz, respectively), but both have largely been on two year cycles ever since. McKenna doesn't even have 3+ years managerial experience in his career, let alone at a single club.

Perhaps also worthy of note, other than Guardiola's 4 year period at Barca, no manager has lasted more than 3 years at Barcelona, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid at any point in the last 20 years, and yet they have won 34 league titles and 11 Champions Leagues between them in that period.

justsomebloke

Player recruitment is the biggest problem and by all accounts were going away from a model where the manager has so much influence to avoid the mistakes of the past.

You can't guarantee that any manager will last more than 2 years or say that Tuchel definitely won't. It should all be down to how much progress they are making.
There's a difference between not being able to guarantee any manager lasts beyond two years and choosing one who consistently doesn't. and managerial stability doesn't just matter because of transfer impact.

justsomebloke

Of the four candidates reportedly under consideration if we sack Ten Hag, only Thomas Frank would be coming here off the back of a 3+ year stint at another club. Presumably, he is your first choice if we dispense with Ten Hag's services? Pochettino and Tuchel have both managed 5 year stints previously (at Tottenham and Mainz, respectively), but both have largely been on two year cycles ever since. McKenna doesn't even have 3+ years managerial experience in his career, let alone at a single club.

Perhaps also worthy of note, other than Guardiola's 4 year period at Barca, no manager has lasted more than 3 years at Barcelona, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid at any point in the last 20 years, and yet they have won 34 league titles and 11 Champions Leagues between them in that period.
I don't see that there's a reason to assume a problem like this with any of the other candidates. But there is with Tuchel.

justsomebloke

You shouldn't rely on the manager to build something anyways. That's the big mistake United made after SAF, not hiring and firing managers, but every time thinking that everything has to change when you have a new manager. Steady squad development is possible, the manager should be seen more as a squad member in that sense than as someone who creates the squad like he wants.
Absolutely agree, but that still doesn't mean it's good to frequently change managers.

justsomebloke

We can't think like that though. We're setting up a structure that means we are less dependent on managers for continuity, so the 3-season cycle shouldn't really be a problem.
I really don't think that argument works. Even if we're less dependent on managers for continuity, that still matters. If anything, clubs who are notable for building strong football departments and not delegating so much to the manager seem to be less prone to changing managers frequently. Arsenal, City, Liverpool.

Anyway, my choice of new manager remains the same: Whoever Berrada and Ashworth have confidence in and feel they can work well with.

Lyng

There's a difference between not being able to guarantee any manager lasts beyond two years and choosing one who consistently doesn't. and managerial stability doesn't just matter because of transfer impact.
It depends on how competent our owners are. The only reason Tuchel suddenly fell out with Chelsea was because of the absolute weapon that is Boehly. He was very happy under Romans Chelsea where they had a great structure and he was left to focus on the team and the games.
With anything Ineos claim they want to be Tuchel is the perfect match.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I mean, technically McKenna and De Zerbi consistently don't either. I'm not sure why we can't assume Tuchel will last longer if we can with either of them.

justsomebloke

It depends on how competent our owners are. The only reason Tuchel suddenly fell out with Chelsea was because of the absolute weapon that is Boehly. He was very happy under Romans Chelsea where they had a great structure and he was left to focus on the team and the games.
With anything Ineos claim they want to be Tuchel is the perfect match.
Fair point. He does have a bit of a reputation for not getting along with the organisation though. It was a thing at PSG too.

justsomebloke

I mean, technically McKenna and De Zerbi consistently don't either. I'm not sure why we can't assume Tuchel will last longer if we can with either of them.
McKenna is still in his first ever manager job. So technically (by your particular definition of "technically") he lasts forever. :)

De Zerbi, he seems a demanding type, but then again he walked away from Brighton because he wants what he would get at United (or Chelsea). Not sure how the circumstances were at Sassuolo, but I think he managed them for a good while? Shaktar to Brighton, that's just promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.